Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I’m not saying the “sky is falling”, I know the quality of this team and that’s it’s very early; however, a CCL semi Final loss is not worth it to me (it may be to others), if we keep losing MLS games going forward - March 30 and April 7 need to be home wins, then I will feel a bit differently about this CCL run if it ends against CA in a competitive fashion. Let’s revisit this at the end of April and see where the CCL run ends and what our MLS record is at that time. It would be nice if a good MLS start and a long CCL run were not mutually exclusive, but so far this appears to be the case. I hope the CCL payoff is ultimately worth it....only time will tell....
    Last edited by tfcfans; 03-17-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really disappointing, but just not our day. We had enough possession to win two games but no idea of how to break through Montreal's eight man defence. Our problems started with a poor team selection and was compounded by poor substitutions. Hard to believe we ended that game with three right backs on the field. Im sure Van Der Weil and Aketxe will come good but right now they look like a waste of money. Money that increasingly looks like it would have been better spent on Central Defence. Hagglund has been brutal in his fragmented appearances this season, and Zavaletta never has and never will never inspire confidence in me. With Moor starting to look his age that leaves us with Mavinga as the one class defender we can depend on. I know its early days, but two defeats and no goals scored is not the form of champions. I dont expect another record breaking season like last year, that would be unreasonable. However, I thought we would be good enough to defend our title as MLS Cup winners. That was the main goal for this season in my mind. Supporters shield would be a bonus. CCL a nice footnote to a record year, but not a priority for me, id rather have a second MLS Cup. I know weve done well in CCL and perhaps that is part of the reason weve started the league so poorly, but we better get our ass in gear quickly before NYCFC and Columbus start to build a lead that will fast become psychologically insurmountable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a semi final loss is worth it, season is long, we only need to be top 6, we are gaining exposure / experience...well worth it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Agreed Woolfe!! A second MLS Cup is the priority; CCL is an 8 game tournament maximum; and frankly only 6 games really are potentially meaningful to me, because beating Colorado is not an accomplishment that is anything other than expected to me at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever, bad pitch and we just came from playing in Mexico. The positives are that we had Aketxe, Hasler, and Morgan playing. If we lose to RSL at home I'll be worried, but right now we're what, 6 points away from being top of the East with a game in hand? No cause for concern as of yet.

Also, I'm sort of glad we're getting tough opponents in league play to be honest. Should remind them to keep the intensity no matter who we play.

EDIT: okay 7 points from Columbus and looks like NYC is going to win so 9 points, still nothing insurmountable.
    Last edited by RealG-TFC; 03-17-2018 at 04:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    ^^Agreed Wolfe!! A second MLS Cup is the priority; CCL is an 8 game tournament maximum; and frankly only 6 games really are potentially meaningful to me, because beating Colorado is not an accomplishment that is anything other than expected to me at this point.
    HUH ????? We are gaining world exposure / experience with CCL, I would go so far as to say what we accomplished vs Tigres was comparable to winning MLS cup !! This club, We are striving for Bigger things, even management has admitted this, world footprint, making CCL 100% is priority for me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    He never stops bloody talking. If I wanted a parrot I'd buy one.
    He's become extremely annoying. Has one opinion. Stands by it 100 %. Sees a replay. Starts to change it but not completely. He overcompensates his neutrality bias. Very annoying.
    Last edited by DinamoTFC; 03-17-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Typos

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azorean View Post
    HUH ????? We are gaining world exposure / experience with CCL, I would go so far as to say what we accomplished vs Tigres was comparable to winning MLS cup !! This club, We are striving for Bigger things, even management has admitted this, world footprint, making CCL 100% is priority for me.
    Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it - I would absolutely not trade December 9 2017 for a CCL quarter final win against Tigres. If that’s your priority, great; but without winning it all last year, the push to move beyond a domestic champion to a more “global” team would not be there. We need to consistently dominate MLS, that should be the goal every year; for me, anything beyond that is a bonus - again, that’s my priority; to each his own. Winning CCL would be a great accomplishment and I would love it; losing to CA after beating Tigres doesn’t register as more important to me than winning the title last year....win CCL and then maybe my opinion would shift a bit.....I’m just saying it would be nice to collect some MLS points before CCL is finished....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champions League is the priority right now. As long as we have success there I am happy.

We will be fine in mls. As long as we make the playoffs we are fine and will have a good chance to repeat.

Yes it's a little dissapointing our league play right now but we will come around. Ccl all the way! Winning it is equivalent of 2 mls cups to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it - I would absolutely not trade December 9 2017 for a CCL quarter final win against Tigres. If that’s your priority, great; but without winning it all last year, the push to move beyond a domestic champion to a more “global” team would not be there. We need to consistently dominate MLS, that should be the goal every year; for me, anything beyond that is a bonus - again, that’s my priority; to each his own. Winning CCL would be a great accomplishment and I would love it; losing to CA after beating Tigres doesn’t register as more important to me than winning the title last year....win CCL and then maybe my opinion would shift a bit.....I’m just saying it would be nice to collect some MLS points before CCL is finished....
    We are in semis, past quarters...

Yeah, id like to collect some domestic points as well, but still doesn't take away the fact I'm looking squarely at CCL...You know what a win in that tournament entails? Even if we go out at this stage, the respect we have gained is huge, I seen Mexican soccer pundits debating the merits of TFC's going through vs Tigres on National Mexican TV, never would have thought that was even possible 'til now, we did it, we beat Tigres over 2 legs. I am willing to sacrifice what amounts to a meaningless early MLS season to see if we can go even further. If we bow out in semi finals, in my eyes, we still gained. And yes, MLS Cup was a big deal, happy we won, But beating Tigres and doing well in this tournament is just as big. Don't kid yourself.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So us losing to our biggest rival isn't all so bad because we beat Tigres even if we go out against Club America.

I have to think about that one but I'm not sure the people who went to the Big Owe today would agree with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So us losing to our biggest rival isn't all so bad because we beat Tigres even if we go out against Club America.

I have to think about that one but I'm not sure the people who went to the Big Owe today would agree with that.
    How many more games this year vs our BIGGEST RIVAL? When will be ever in this same opportunity, 1 step away, to go to World Club Championship? This result today, I'm sorry, I know people travelled, but it was predictable. hangover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could see that coming when I saw the starting XI. Should have rotated more. Have 2nd string players eager to make an impression go at the Impact with Jozy, Seba, Oso in reserve if a result was needed late on.

Anyways, onwards. Fuck the Impact.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, for one, don’t agree. A lot of miles for zero points. The drive tomorrow will be somber.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Agreed Woolfe!! A second MLS Cup is the priority; CCL is an 8 game tournament maximum; and frankly only 6 games really are potentially meaningful to me, because beating Colorado is not an accomplishment that is anything other than expected to me at this point.
    did you want tfc to deliberately lose to Tigres? did you want only second string guys out on the field vs tigres??

they won against tigres, what else were they supposed to do? I don't understand your logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of you sound like you'd prefer losing to Colorado if that meant a 2-0 start in MLS. No way we'd beat the Mexican champions in the next round right?

CWC > CCL > MLS Playoffs > Voyageur's Cup > MLS Regular Season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hasler is basically a 3rd forward right now.

Gosh Bradley has been shit.
    hes tired

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this had been NER, I wouldn't care so much.

Its Montreal. A loss to them is never a good thing.

But what has me a bit more ticked is the same things have been happening now for 3 games against Montreal in a row -for whatever reason, Vanney can't figure out how to deal with Piette. They play right at him. Its foolish. Other teams don't do this against the Impact. Take the ball out wide and move them around. The ball needs to move WAAAAY faster then it has so far this season (except for that one half against Tigres). We are at our best with quick ball movement & I'm not seeing it so far in 5.5 out of our 6 games.

We can play better then this but I'm not fond of how we have played against Montreal since the Voyageurs last summer.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-17-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    did you want tfc to deliberately lose to Tigres? did you want only second string guys out on the field vs tigres??

they won against tigres, what else were they supposed to do? I don't understand your logic
    This !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this had been NER, I wouldn't care so much.

Its Montreal. A loss to them is never a good thing.

But what has me a bit more ticked is the same things have been happening now for 3 games against Montreal in a row -for whatever reason, Vanney can't figure out how to deal with Piette. They play right at him. Its foolish. Other teams don't do this against the Impact. Take the ball out wide and move them around. The ball needs to move WAAAAY faster then it has so far this season (except for that one half against Tigres). We are at our best with quick ball movement & I'm not seeing it so far in 5.5 out of our 6 games.

We can play better then this but I'm not fond of how we have played against Montreal since the Voyageurs last summer.
    Don't worry, so looking forward to the shellacking they will receive next time we meet...bad timing this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry but no excuses for being 0-2 from the best team in MLS history. The Juventus, Real Madrid's or Barcelona's of the world year in and year out play in champions league and other competitions along with their league play and year in and year out are still able to dominate in their league play. No excuses for this start two league games and no goals and two losses, it's yes very early but time to start winning no excuses sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are in semis, past quarters...

Yeah, id like to collect some domestic points as well, but still doesn't take away the fact I'm looking squarely at CCL...You know what a win in that tournament entails? Even if we go out at this stage, the respect we have gained is huge, I seen Mexican soccer pundits debating the merits of TFC's going through vs Tigres on National Mexican TV, never would have thought that was even possible 'til now, we did it, we beat Tigres over 2 legs. I am willing to sacrifice what amounts to a meaningless early MLS season to see if we can go even further. If we bow out in semi finals, in my eyes, we still gained. And yes, MLS Cup was a big deal, happy we won, But beating Tigres and doing well in this tournament is just as big. Don't kid yourself.
    So even if we go out at this stage losing to Club America we have gained respect? So I guess the impact losing in the CCL final a few years ago tying Club America in Azteca in Mexico City and then losing at home in the big O in front of over 60 000 people in Montreal must have really gained a lot of respect then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Sorry but no excuses for being 0-2 from the best team in MLS history. The Juventus, Real Madrid's or Barcelona's of the world year in and year out play in champions league and other competitions along with their league play and year in and year out are still able to dominate in their league play. No excuses for this start two league games and no goals and two losses, it's yes very early but time to start winning no excuses sorry.
    We in Champions league( not that one ) BUT We ain't no Juventus, Barcelona, or Real Madrid that's for sure,But we did play in arguably one of the biggest games in our history in midweek in Mexico. Travelled back. Hangover. And yes , that's an excuse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So even if we go out at this stage losing to Club America we have gained respect? So I guess the impact losing in the CCL final a few years ago tying Club America in Azteca in Mexico City and then losing at home in the big O in front of over 60 000 people in Montreal must have really gained a lot of respect then?
    YES, to this day people still remember that game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We in Champions league( not that one ) BUT We ain't no Juventus, Barcelona, or Real Madrid that's for sure,But we did play in arguably one of the biggest games in our history in midweek in Mexico. Travelled back. Hangover. And yes , that's an excuse.
    Sorry not an excuse for a team and a club that talks real big, if your good you find ways to get results no excuses sorry, time to start winning in the league no excuses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We won everything in MLS last year including having the best all time points record.

At this point in time I don't care about MLS. We got bigger ambitions and we should 100% focus on winning the CCL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

absolutely - they gained respect big time and the game itself got casual observers interested- that was a significant moment for MLS and Canadian soccer imo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three times today I watched Auro ignore Hasler going clear on the overlap screaming for the ball with Jozy in the box only to recycle the ball and make a square pass into the middle where the recipient, Bradley or Osorio, had the entire Montreal defence in front of them. That summed up the entire game for me. We played too many square passes and didn’t get the ball forward fast enough. It was clear from the start Montreal were going to pack their defence and hit us on the break. We needed to move the ball forward, directly and quickly, before Montreal could organize. However, instead we got slow square passes fr9m side to side, occasionally backward, before making a move forward into a wall of blue. This cycle was repeated the entire afternoon. I agree the line up was wrong. Van deer Weil is not a wing back. He should be held in reserve for games where a stay at home right back is required. Hasler to me seems the best option when 0laying 3-5-2. He might not be the strongest right sided defender but he is by far the best option going forward. Auro is somewhere between the two and shouldperhaps be viewed as one for the future as he excels neither in defence nor attack. Jozy looks like he’s treading mud and should have been rested today, and I think we need to face the fact sooner or later that without Mavinga our defence is slow and vulnerable to a pace counter. I’m also still unimpressed by Aketxe. He deserves more time however he’s no Vazquez MkII that’s for sure. I’m thinking of nicknaming him the crab on account of the number of sideways moves he makes.

However when all all is said and done you can still see we are a quality side. Today was one of those days where noth8ng came off for us, but on another a couple of those near things go in and we sneak away with a result. Too early to panic but we need to get things sorted soon

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't worry, so looking forward to the shellacking they will receive next time we meet...bad timing this one.
    This isn't bad timing.

This is the inability to deal with their midfield since last summer & no, the CCL does not cover up that inability.

If we do not fix that, we will not shelack them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no issues prioritizing the CCL. Games against Tigres and C America make us better. For me though 1st in the East is the key and Supporters shield has to be the goal to guarantee the MLs Cup at home. Dissapointed to lose the home opener and then to our rivals...but the bigger concern is how the new players are fitting in. VdW and Aketxe haven’t lit the heather on fire - and for me Hasler was poor again today. Not sure where he fits in. Was surprised to see Rickets not get anytime - that giant pitch was crying out for him on counter attack when we were under pressure. We really missed Morrow and Mavinga today. Zavaletta has such poor kicking technique it’s hard to believe for a pro player.