Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Who are you talking to? You should quote people if you are talking to someone specific. Clearly not all of us have accepted defeat or of one mind.

And we've made it this far before just not with as good a team.
    You are right , I was replying to what Pizza said earlier. You are also VERY RIGHT about the fact that we have made it thus far before JUST not with the lineup we have now, that is why I think we are closer now than ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    I would trade 0-5 in the league for a berth in the CCL final and a chance to go to the CWC. So much time left in the league. The only sacrifice is the Supporters Shield.
    I agree with you, not sure about the 0-5 part though, hahaha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t think there has been a general appreciation of just how big a deal it is that we beat Tigres.

Also of general tiredness - our guys had almost no offseason. So many monster games since the 2017 regular season ended.

I'll worry about the league later. We may be 7th in the east in June, but I will still feel confident in their ability to heat up and be the class of the league.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So...we're pretty agreed that this full week of rest then Salt Lake at home should do us some good?

Victory!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    So...we're pretty agreed that this full week of rest then Salt Lake at home should do us some good?

Victory!
    No Plata, No Silva last game, laundry list of injuries, they better hope for better next game , They were not at all impressive vs a hungover/ 2nd Red Bull team. We Winning this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azorean View Post
    No Plata, No Silva last game, laundry list of injuries, they better hope for better next game , They were not at all impressive vs a hungover/ 2nd Red Bull team. We Winning this.
    Nobody in this league wins just by showing up, they better be well prepared, and motivated for a fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don’t think there has been a general appreciation of just how big a deal it is that we beat Tigres.

Also of general tiredness - our guys had almost no offseason. So many monster games since the 2017 regular season ended.

I'll worry about the league later. We may be 7th in the east in June, but I will still feel confident in their ability to heat up and be the class of the league.
    Exactly, just the fact we beat Tigres over 2 legs, game changer. Convinced me. We are in this. Not like before.It has been surprising the amount of people putting an emphasis on a early MLS season when we have THIS in front of us. We are good in MLS . We know that already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    Nobody in this league wins just by showing up, they better be well prepared, and motivated for a fight.
    Pretty sure TFC will be up there come end of season. Almost certain actually. Especially with this lineup and experience. CCL is where its at right now, if we win a couple of domestic games along the way, ill take it !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

REMEMBER , we are very close here. Closer than we have ever been, maybe closer than we will ever get to be in the foreseeable future. One step may be technically wrong, BUT I'm pretty confident getting past club America and facing Red Bull/ Chivas would mean we are one step because I fully think we take those 2 teams out in a 2 leg final. All I'm saying is all the focus we have put into this CCL run is worth it, regardless if we go out to America. The MLS season is long, and forgiving. We know we have a side that can definitely compete in MLS, We are trying to find out if we can compete beyond MLS, and even if we don't take the Supporters shield , we will most definitely make the playoffs. It is all worth it for a shot at winning CCL imo right now. You say fans in Europe or wherever may not care, etc...The way to make them care or , at least for us to be recognized, is to be there. We have a shot here. A very good chance here. We beat Tigres. We are in with more than a punchers chance, It is almost like you have accepted defeat already in CCL? We have a chance ! and even if we miss out at this stage, still worth it imo as I know we will still be in there come MLS playoffs.
    I have not accepted any defeat.
    I have just said that it will be a lot more hard to go and win the remaining 2 ties, than those we had with Colorado and Tigres.
    And I stand 100% behind what I said!

We have 1/3 chance to go past America, and then 1/2 chance to win the final tie, no matter who will be the other team in the final.
    1/2 x 1/3 makes us having an 1/6 chance to win this, which means we are huge underdogs.

Anyone else saying we are not, is simply not in touch with the reality.

All I read on neutral sites is that this season Tigres had a lot inferior performance to America.
    And yes, in the first game with the Tigres, thety have at least slightly under-appreciated us. This won't happen with America.
    And yes, at the end of the match in Mexico with Tigres, we were in full panic mode, if the game would have gone 5 more minutes, we would have been probably eliminated.
    No matter that we were concacaffed on that non existent penalty, because we will be on at least 1 goal in each and every game we'll play in Mexico for at least 5 more years.

Don't get me wrong, I would be the happiest possible for TFC to win it all.
    I'm just realistic, and just because of last year's formidable season I'm not seeing TFC as world beaters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    I have just said that it will be a lot more hard to go and win the remaining 2 ties, than those we had with Colorado and Tigres.

We have 1/3 chance to go past America, and then 1/2 chance to win the final tie, no matter who will be the other team in the final.
    1/2 x 1/3 makes us having an 1/6 chance to win this, which means we are huge underdogs.

All I read on neutral sites is that this season Tigres had a lot inferior performance to America.
    And yes, in the first game with the Tigres, thety have at least slightly under-appreciated us. This won't happen with America.
    And yes, at the end of the match in Mexico with Tigres, we were in full panic mode, if the game would have gone 5 more minutes, we would have been probably eliminated.
    No matter that we were concacaffed on that non existent penalty, because we will be on at least 1 goal in each and every game we'll play in Mexico for at least 5 more years.

I'm just realistic, and just because of last year's formidable season I'm not seeing TFC as world beaters.
    Honestly, you sound / read as half defeated. If this and if that , a third this, half that, Tigres inferior to America, etc...let this play out. Who cares if we are huge underdogs? We were underdogs to Tigres. You said it will be so much harder to get by now to win this thing, I don't know about that, we have done a lot of heavy lifting already. America is our biggest obstacle, I'll grant you that, past that and i'll take my chances in the final vs Red Bull / Chivas, Heck, we might even be favoured. The fact is , that Tigres game didn't go 5 minutes longer, and over 2 legs we looked pretty damn good, better then Tigres I would say. I Still go back to this, what are we losing by focusing on this competion? Are the playoffs in jeopardy? We know we have a good team and will compete in MLS when all is said and done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This!

Honestly, you sound / read as half defeated. If this and if that , a third this, half that, Tigres inferior to America, etc...let this play out. Who cares if we are huge underdogs? We were underdogs to Tigres. You said it will be so much harder to get by now to win this thing, I don't know about that, we have done a lot of heavy lifting already. America is our biggest obstacle, I'll grant you that, past that and i'll take my chances in the final vs Red Bull / Chivas, Heck, we might even be favoured. The fact is , that Tigres game didn't go 5 minutes longer, and over 2 legs we looked pretty damn good, better then Tigres I would say. I Still go back to this, what are we losing by focusing on this competion? Are the playoffs in jeopardy? We know we have a good team and will compete in MLS when all is said and done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everyone is bracing themselves for disappointment. Too many years of PTSD to overcome. Also the fact that no MLS team has ever won the thing. Until some team proves it is possible - then that will be it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post

where are you getting these odds? I cannot find betting odds on the club america series anywhere??
    or is this just your odds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point, I also seem to remember a stat that no other MLS team has won the treble.. ..Fate my be on our side yet again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was disappointed in the result, I honestly am not worried, but I will sum it up in a few words, TFC are not ruthless enough, to be a winner you have to be ruthless and selfish more often than not. Just food for thought

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said this up above somewhere, but worth saying again. Every team that had a quarter final CCL game lost their following league game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I said this up above somewhere, but worth saying again. Every team that had a quarter final CCL game lost their following league game.
    As I mentioned in another thread, 4 out of a possible 18 points have been picked up by teams in MLS play during the same week they played in CCL so far.

Winning games on short rest is very doable in mid-season, but pretty tough early on as guys are still getting their legs under them and new players are still being integrated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    As I mentioned in another thread, 4 out of a possible 18 points have been picked up by teams in MLS play during the same week they played in CCL so far.

Winning games on short rest is very doable in mid-season, but pretty tough early on as guys are still getting their legs under them and new players are still being integrated.
    good posts.....I am not worried much about the weekend....more so who we lost to, rather than the loss itself....need to pick it up next game and get 3, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The two losses to start the league are not crucial in the big picture. I still expect us to compete to win the East and the Supporters Shield. The nature of the losses is the more disappointing thing.

You roll out on opening day with a Championship flag to raise and three trophies, three new exciting signings in front of your home crowd....you really should be pumped and that should carry you through. You travel to your biggest rivals on St Patrick's Day pumped for a huge win in Mexico and a ten day break to look forward to...with the depth that we have...you should win. Especially after losing the first game.

You win those two games and the rest of the league will be shit scared to play TFC this season. Now everyone will think they have a chance. I really expect Montreal to be out of play-off contention they don't look improved to me at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    The two losses to start the league are not crucial in the big picture. I still expect us to compete to win the East and the Supporters Shield. The nature of the losses is the more disappointing thing.

You roll out on opening day with a Championship flag to raise and three trophies, three new exciting signings in front of your home crowd....you really should be pumped and that should carry you through. You travel to your biggest rivals on St Patrick's Day pumped for a huge win in Mexico and a ten day break to look forward to...with the depth that we have...you should win. Especially after losing the first game.

You win those two games and the rest of the league will be shit scared to play TFC this season. Now everyone will think they have a chance. I really expect Montreal to be out of play-off contention they don't look improved to me at all.
    yeah, I agree. It Stinks. I think we will turn it around here soon though. I am not an expert in any way , but one thing from watching European and South American soccer in recent years is to kind of expect the unexpected when a club is involved in multiple competitions, especially when there is a big prize to be had. I guess it applies to all sports, or life in general for that matter, to be honest, when focus may be not all there. I have seen so many surprising results with BIG teams, and afterwards you ask yourself ..They lost to who? How? only to find out afterwards the team in question was either coming off a huge result outside their league, or were looking forward to a huge international match. It happens. I think we are going through some of that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post

If we win 2 of the next 3 league games, were only one point behind our pace from last year when WE SET THE ALL TIME RECORD!!!
    The regular season is a marathon, not a sprint.
    CCL is a sprint, might as well use our biggest amounts of energy on that until we're out of the competition.
    Last edited by Cas87; 03-20-2018 at 04:26 PM.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is entirely possible to be:

1. Upset with the Montreal (and Columbus) results and performances;

2. Excited about our chances in the CCL; and

3. Not worried about the regular season standings or general direction of the team.

All at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Diego View Post
    It is entirely possible to be:

1. Upset with the Montreal (and Columbus) results and performances;

2. Excited about our chances in the CCL; and

3. Not worried about the regular season standings or general direction of the team.

All at the same time.
    1. Check!
    2. Check!
    3. I have a "slight problem" here right now, could be a "problem" after the next game...
    If we are not winning our next game at home, we alredy have lost at least 5 points at home. All good if everything would play out later on like last year, but I think this year we'll be seriously challenged by at least 1 team for the 1 st place in the East. ... even if we would have the point total like last year.