0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Potential TFC Tigres rematch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how they decided who gets to host, and if the fact that it's hear this year means it'll be played in Mexico next year.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boo this. Play TFC II.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This will be right in the heart of the Supporters Shield race ... Boo

Also, we already have a Champions League, so whats the point of this? Other than dinheiro, of course.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    I wonder how they decided who gets to host, and if the fact that it's hear this year means it'll be played in Mexico next year.
    The Moneygrab Cup will always be hosted by MLS, I'm sure, for financial reasons.

Another cup to store in the furnace room, along with the Trillium Cup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The Moneygrab Cup will always be hosted by MLS, I'm sure, for financial reasons.

Completely agree on that it will always be hosted by the MLS Cup winner. Have we not seen something like his tried before with the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_SuperLiga. It was scrapped back in 2010 due to the growth of Champions League. Guess with the group stage being scrapped they decided they have dates to fill, dollars to be made. Just looking at the date the lads take on Galaxy at home the Saturday before and on the road to NYRB the Saturday after, making for a busy, congested week.

I am sure the league will not want the optics of the Reds running out a reserve/TFC2 side for this match, will be interesting to see their approach.
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 03-13-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what? The buggers finally figured out how to mash a friendly in there that will work.

I know that this will not be true for a meaningful subset on here, but I suspect this game can be a ticket sales and TV ratings success.

Can we move the Saturday Sept 15 Galaxy game to the 8th or 11th or 12th? Both TFC and the Galaxy are off Sept 1-15. I am sure there is a FIFA break there, but Bradley and Altidore and LA’s Mexican players can skip whatever meaningless friendly they have going on then, in the spirit of building this MLS-Liga MX partnership...
    Last edited by ensco; 03-13-2018 at 02:35 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yawn.

CCL is the only thing that matters. This is a cash grab, as has been stated. At least when they tried Superliga there was no CCL, so it had a quasi-good reason for existence. This new thing is just pointless.

I hope someone at TFC speaks out against this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You know what? The buggers finally figured out how to mash a friendly in there that will work.

I know that this will not be true for a meaningful subset on here, but I suspect this game can be a ticket sales and TV ratings success.

Can we move the Saturday Sept 15 Galaxy game to the 8th or 11th or 12th? Both TFC and the Galaxy are off Sept 1-15. I am sure there is a FIFA break there, but Bradley and Altidore and LA’s Mexican players can skip whatever meaningless friendly they have going on then, in the spirit of building this MLS-Liga MX partnership...
    Good idea.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Greg at the moment is giving it positive lip service, which I would totally expect. I wonder if this will actually be a considered a friendly or will it be positioned like the Super Cups are in Europe as an office match all for optics.

Kurtis W. LarsonVerified account @KurtLarSUN 34m34 minutes agoMore

Vanney on the Campeones Cup: “Initially people won’t know what to make of it. But I think it will become one of the bigger events. There’s a fair bit of hoopla around us playing Tigres right now. We look forward to it. Another good game in our schedule." #TFCLive

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Yawn.

CCL is the only thing that matters. This is a cash grab, as has been stated. At least when they tried Superliga there was no CCL, so it had a quasi-good reason for existence. This new thing is just pointless.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aside from injuries and possibly crammed schedules, etc - it is a late season game against a VERY good team, which can only be helpful as teams wind out the stretch and head into the playoffs. It might gear up the compete level and keep us in check, especially if the playoff spot and/or shield is already clinched by then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Well Greg at the moment is giving it positive lip service, which I would totally expect. I wonder if this will actually be a considered a friendly or will it be positioned like the Super Cups are in Europe as an office match all for optics.

Kurtis W. LarsonVerified account @KurtLarSUN 34m34 minutes agoMore

Vanney on the Campeones Cup: “Initially people won’t know what to make of it. But I think it will become one of the bigger events. There’s a fair bit of hoopla around us playing Tigres right now. We look forward to it. Another good game in our schedule." #TFCLive
    I posted this in another thread:

"Someone brought up a good point on MLS.com ... if it's the MLS Cup winner playing in the game, that could potentially be only the 12 best team in MLS during the previous regular season. Plus the game is almost a year removed from them winning it."

If they're going to insist on doing this, they need to maybe re-think the setup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not do MLS all-stars vs Liga MX all-stars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    Why not do MLS all-stars vs Liga MX all-stars
    This is actually part of the agreement from what I've seen - one of the future all star games will be MLS all-stars vs Liga MX all-stars. Not sure yet when that will be though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the end of the day there will be a Super Americas League (MLS, MEX & South America) that will rival Uefa.

I can see shitty small Canadian teams along with Bolivian Honduran etc. having their National "b" Leagues.....

The Super Americas League with a NA & SA divided into 4 divisions of 20 elite teams with no borders would be a cash Cow giant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    This is actually part of the agreement from what I've seen - one of the future all star games will be MLS all-stars vs Liga MX all-stars. Not sure yet when that will be though.
    I don't mind this idea. The All Star Game is already pretty lame, but at least this idea sounds entertaining.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted this in another thread:

"Someone brought up a good point on MLS.com ... if it's the MLS Cup winner playing in the game, that could potentially be only the 12 best team in MLS during the previous regular season. Plus the game is almost a year removed from them winning it."

If they're going to insist on doing this, they need to maybe re-think the setup.
    You mean like the Rapids being in the round of 16 of the CCL this season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    You mean like the Rapids being in the round of 16 of the CCL this season?
    Yeah, something like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well this game just got a bit more interesting... especially if Tigres is the team that comes to town

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    Well this game just got a bit more interesting... especially if Tigres is the team that comes to town
    I agree. If it is Tigres, we could be blessed with an amazing game.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsYNWA View Post
    At the end of the day there will be a Super Americas League (MLS, MEX & South America) that will rival Uefa.

I can see shitty small Canadian teams along with Bolivian Honduran etc. having their National "b" Leagues.....

The Super Americas League with a NA & SA divided into 4 divisions of 20 elite teams with no borders would be a cash Cow giant
    That's a nice dream, but I don't know if it will happen any time soon. The better MLS first teams are starting to be able to play with the good Mexican teams in the CL, appearntly, but from there to playing in a league against them over the course of a season is a different beast. The depth and resources of the big Mexican clubs are far beyond what MLS teams can bring to bear.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That superleague idea ... it would take revolution for that to happen. Literally.

The bigger clubs cannot just break free from their national federations. This isn't Europe. There would be riots. Without exaggeration.

The degree to which soccer clubs in South America are part of the political and social fabric, and they and their supporters have organized crime links... I mean, fuggadaboutit

I would just like to see the top two or three MLS teams in Copa Libertadores.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are going to see:

a) An expanded Copa Libertadores that includes North American teams

b) Copa America including CONCACAF & happening in the US every 4 years

WAAY too much money to be made by including the US & Mexico.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yawn.

The SuperLiga and the CCL were concurrent tournaments, in fact the teams that qualified for the SuperLiga were the best MLS which did not qualify for the CCL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

It's an attention grab not a money grab.
    Liga MX is by far the most popular league in the US and gets upto 2 million viewers for some games, compared to the 500,000 for the EPL and big MLS games
    This competition is to attract some of them to MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I think we are going to see:

a) An expanded Copa Libertadores that includes North American teams

b) Copa America including CONCACAF & happening in the US every 4 years

WAAY too much money to be made by including the US & Mexico.
    a) I don't think you know how far most of South America is to Toronto.
    The distance between Toronto and Buenos Aires (8,953 km) 20% more than the distance between Toronto & Moscow (7,482 km)
    so pretty much all of Europe is MUCH closer than distance than the most popular parts of South America
    It would make more sense doing UEFA and CONCACAF than CONEMBOL
    Last edited by troy1982; 03-14-2018 at 02:14 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I know the distances.

$ talks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Oh, I know the distances.

$ talks
    why not join UEFA then, there will be even more money there and European teams are hungary for the America dollar.