Default CCL QF 2nd Leg - TFC @ Tigres Tue March 13th 10pm - Hold That Tiger

Have At It People

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice music choice.

Muerte a los gatitos!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks....prefer the all instrumental version. And that group was really really good.

Seriously people, listen to that whole song & each time you hear another player start up on their bit, think of one of our players and how TFC plays together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team isn't built to park the bus. It's built to go forward and create chance.
    Gonna need a Vasquez/Bradley master class in Mexico to keep Tigres wary of sending the whole team forward.
    Pushing the ball straight back on counter attacks is gonna be crucial.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Juve v Spurs game yesterday was pretty interesting. Spurs played their game, dominated the first 60 minutes, had a two goal edge.... and then the better team just beat them.

But that's the way to play it. Spurs played their game, played their best version of their game, and went out on their shields. Heads held high.

I think, if we play our game, that means we try to win this game. Our edge is our elite talent, so we turn our guys loose. Be your best, play your best. Let the chips fall where they may.

(If we need to go catenaccio for the last 20 minutes, sure.)
    Last edited by ensco; 03-08-2018 at 12:08 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10pm? Thought it was at 11. That's good.

We can do this. If a a 0-9 2012 TFC team can take a 2-1 lead vs. Santos Laguana anything is possible. Key is not to concede early. The longer we can keep it at 0-0 the more likely that we catch Tigres on the break.

I feel like Zavaletta needs to be benched. His passing was woeful last night. I can see him costing us the game with a silly giveaway. Can VDW play right CB?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a fun game last night! Has anyone heard of any places showing the game Tuesday: Wheatsheaf? Joe's? Paupers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post

We can do this. If a a 0-9 2012 TFC team can take a 2-1 lead vs. Santos Laguana anything is possible. Key is not to concede early. The longer we can keep it at 0-0 the more likely that we catch Tigres on the break.

I feel like Zavaletta needs to be benched. His passing was woeful last night. I can see him costing us the game with a silly giveaway. Can VDW play right CB?
    We might have no choice as he left injured. I don't think VDW can play CB.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post

People around me were giving Zavaletta shit all night. And admittedly, I think he had a bad game. He looked like he had been touched by the scythe of the grim reaper every time he touched the ball. He was just looking to get it anywhere but on him as fast as he possibly could. Confidence looked really shot to me. I actually doubted whether he was injured or whether the pressure got to him and he pulled himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    People around me were giving Zavaletta shit all night. And admittedly, I think he had a bad game. He looked like he had been touched by the scythe of the grim reaper every time he touched the ball. He was just looking to get it anywhere but on him as fast as he possibly could. Confidence looked really shot to me. I actually doubted whether he was injured or whether the pressure got to him and he pulled himself.
    No, he definitely went to ground hard in the box, and was limping for the rest of his stint.

I think his timing is off. He didn't look good on Saturday either. I also think the soft turf affects his ability to recover, and he's used to playing a style that requires recovery (he's not terribly conservative). He can't get traction to get to speed fast enough.

He's been better for us, and I'm sure by May he'll have found his confidence again. But for now I go with Hagglund instead.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    No, he definitely went to ground hard in the box, and was limping for the rest of his stint.

I think his timing is off. He didn't look good on Saturday either. I also think the soft turf affects his ability to recover, and he's used to playing a style that requires recovery (he's not terribly conservative). He can't get traction to get to speed fast enough.

He's been better for us, and I'm sure by May he'll have found his confidence again. But for now I go with Hagglund instead.
    I agree. Zavaleta has proven he can do the job there and his passing and control with the ball at his feet is usually much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While Tigres will be much more improved on a match-ready pitch and many people are mentioning that, I am looking forward to seeing our squad play on it as well. I expect them to come at us strong, but a part of me expects us to connect much better and we might see even better dribbling from Giovinco.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, thanks for the observation. His passing was really off last night. As I said, he was just looking to get it to anyone else as fast as he could. At one point he tried a switch about 15 yards outside our own box. That was just a bad idea. Hopefully he gets his confidence back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be interesting to see how they do on a better pitch. BMO was really rough. I have to wonder if that is why Gio is missing free kicks he should be nailing.

Get in there.. play hard be ready to absorb pressure and counter harder. This is doable but it will not be easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney has a big decision in midfield, assuming Vazquez is fully fit. We need to defend as well as possible, yet the value of an away goal is tremendous.

No way we stray from the 3-5-2 now, so who plays with Bradley?

Vazquez increases our chances of scoring by a ton, but he hasn't been that great so far. Delgado is crucial to remaining balanced and defensively solid. Osorio has been our best player, but on paper he appears perhaps less crucial in a way. And no disrepect to Aketxe but he's clearly in desperation, we-need-to-score super sub territory for this one.

My guess for now is Vanney puts out the same midfield (and same roster except Hagglund for Zavaleta) and Vazquez comes off the bench first if needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT - that is one of my favorite early jazz tunes, well done!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Vanney has a big decision in midfield, assuming Vazquez is fully fit. We need to defend as well as possible, yet the value of an away goal is tremendous.

Vazquez increases our chances of scoring by a ton, but he hasn't been that great so far. Delgado is crucial to remaining balanced and defensively solid. Osorio has been our best player, but on paper he appears perhaps less crucial in a way. And no disrepect to Aketxe but he's clearly in desperation, we-need-to-score super sub territory for this one.

My guess for now is Vanney puts out the same midfield (and same roster except Hagglund for Zavaleta) and Vazquez comes off the bench first if needed.
    I don't know what I find more shocking, that you're talking about sitting Vazquez in favour of Osorio and Delgado, or that I'm agreeing with you.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    While Tigres will be much more improved on a match-ready pitch and many people are mentioning that, I am looking forward to seeing our squad play on it as well. I expect them to come at us strong, but a part of me expects us to connect much better and we might see even better dribbling from Giovinco.
    I was thinking the same thing. TFC haven't played on a good pitch yet in MLS or CCL. Alot of people talk about conditions here favoring TFC but they really aren't favorable that much at BMO, at least not in terms of surface. Aside from being in Mexico and all that goes with that, the improved pitch favors both teams and I think Tigres may not realize how much better TFC can also be with a good surface to play on. Tigres coach said he is confident they will advance because they only need one goal so he obviously doesn't think TFC will be able to score in Mexico. I hope we run them ragged down there because on a good day I think we can.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ball went to Zavs and everybody around me clenched a little bit. He has regressed passing wise. Defending? Still good. But in our system, the back 3 have to be able to make a pass.

If he's injured, he'll sit & Haglund will have to figure out how to pass.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with this. Auro will come in later as well. Pretty much the same as last night. Ricketts was supposed to come in until Zavaleta got injured. Maybe he will be the third sub depending on how the game goes.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't know what I find more shocking, that you're talking about sitting Vazquez in favour of Osorio and Delgado, or that I'm agreeing with you.
    I agree with both of you. Vazquez is obviously the superior player offensively, but he doesn't have the dogged work rate of either Osorio or Delgado on the defensive side of the ball. Osorio has really stepped up his game this season and is stronger defensively than Vazquez. I think Vanney will stick with the same lineup unless Vazquez really progresses in training. A fit, in-form Vazquez is what we all want to see, but if he isn't there, you have to look at what Osorio has done so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I agree with both of you. Vazquez is obviously the superior player offensively, but he doesn't have the dogged work rate of either Osorio or Delgado on the defensive side of the ball. Osorio has really stepped up his game this season and is stronger defensively than Vazquez. I think Vanney will stick with the same lineup unless Vazquez really progresses in training. A fit, in-form Vazquez is what we all want to see, but if he isn't there, you have to look at what Osorio has done so far.
    I think we'll see Vasquez in on Tuesday.....during the game last night, Wileman said the reason Vasquez didn't start last night was because Vanney did not want to risk any further Vasquez's injury or his status for Leg 2.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    I think we'll see Vasquez in on Tuesday.....during the game last night, Wileman said the reason Vasquez didn't start last night was because Vanney did not want to risk any further Vasquez's injury or his status for Leg 2.....
    He also has LigaMX experience and I think he mentioned in his TSN interview that he's played at their stadium before. Tough call though, I'm glad I'm not the one making the decisions lol.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    He also has LigaMX experience and I think he mentioned in his TSN interview that he's played at their stadium before. Tough call though, I'm glad I'm not the one making the decisions lol.
    Both good points. Either way, it's nice that we have these dilemmas to discuss. Imagine having selection issues because of how well our players are playing! I still sometimes have to give myself a little pinch when someone refers to TFC as the best team in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both good points. Either way, it's nice that we have these dilemmas to discuss. Imagine having selection issues because of how well our players are playing! I still sometimes have to give myself a little pinch when someone refers to TFC as the best team in MLS.
    ya no kidding.....the other day I actually YouTubed the media scrum with Koevermans from the day after he gave the "worst team in the world line".....though to myself, "my god", followed by "damn, this feels good!".....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pfk View Post
    What a fun game last night! Has anyone heard of any places showing the game Tuesday: Wheatsheaf? Joe's? Paupers?

Joe's. I'd be at Joe's.

But this time I'll be at "El Volcan" stadium.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney also said postgame though that even in the 10 min that Vazquez played he started to feel the issue come back again. Doesn't sound like someone we will take a risk on starting next game when we have other guys that can fill in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Vanney also said postgame though that even in the 10 min that Vazquez played he started to feel the issue come back again. Doesn't sound like someone we will take a risk on starting next game when we have other guys that can fill in.
    thanks for that....never heard it....and in that case, for sure there's no need to force him in.....lots can happen in 5 days though....comforting thing is if VV can't go, we already know Oso and Delgado can do the job.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. Zavaleta has proven he can do the job there and his passing and control with the ball at his feet is usually much better.
    This is the one and only problem TFC has. Hagglund, Mavinga, and especially Zavaleta are not good ball movers. Moor is an ok ball mover, but when we play teams that press our CB’s, we end up losing possession, more times then not. I think Mavinga is the best defending CB in the league, and it’s even close. Hagglund is also a very good defender, and is a monster in the air. Zavaleta is ok in my books. He is the 4th CB of the 4.

I would love to see TFC get a great CB, that can move the ball. We would literally be unstoppable when we were are on.