Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC classic goals

A quick (and possibly inaccurate) search and tally shows that TFC have scored no less than 568 goals since its inception. All those being scored in the regular and post MLS season, the Canadian Championship and the CONCACAF Champions League (I omitted pre-season friendlies and ‘other’ competitions).

We have had a regular season low of 30 scored in 2013 and a high of 74 last year. The previous year, our pussplops haul was 17 as opposed to last year's record breaking season netting a mere 5 playoff (we can say that word now, I think) goals.

Many have been consolation or inconsequential goals as we all know, but many have been great for a multitude of reasons. Wonderful TFC goals have been notable for their technique, timing, meaning, winning and the sheer delight they gave us - we've scored bog standard tap-ins that have caused BMO Field to erupt and also wonder-goals that have been meaningless. There are many merits on which a goal can be judged, but which of those 568 truly stand out in the memory as seminal moments in the history of TFC?

There are some obvious ones, starting with goal #1 (and I very much hope someone can relay a great narrative about that one as I wasn't on the TFC scene at that point). The most recent classic moment being #565 with Jozy slotting the ball past Frei, a goal that proved to be the MLS Cup winner.

But there have certainly been many more than these two inarguable classic strikes. A personal favourite of mine was Vazquez sneaking the ball under the wall with his free kick against Columbus last season, and I include it for its technique and audacity.

What are the goals that stick in peoples' memories? Pipe up, post a vid and let's whet the appetite for a glut of classics from season 2018.
    Last edited by StokeciTFC; 03-01-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andrew Wiedeman to win it Vs Columbus in a rain storm (and with like 4000 people left in the stadium) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLRYG2kgiUo
    Terry Dunfield vs Vancouver - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWskvUp9mk

Also the little Italian dude who twisted NYRB inside out to clinch a playoff spot. His name escapes me at the moment.
    Last edited by Red4ever; 03-01-2018 at 11:05 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't find the video, but in 2010 I believe is was Nick Labrocca scored on a VERY wind assisted free kick that was meant to be played into the box, and it was blown into the net instead.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    Can't find the video, but in 2010 I believe is was Nick Labrocca scored on a VERY wind assisted free kick that was meant to be played into the box, and it was blown into the net instead.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    Andrew Wiedeman to win it Vs Columbus in a rain storm (and with like 4000 people left in the stadium) -
    Better link

RPB Member
    Away Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    Andrew Wiedeman to win it Vs Columbus in a rain storm (and with like 4000 people left in the stadium) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLRYG2kgiUo.
    Came to say the Wiedeman goal. That was awesome.

As that’s been said, I’ll add Will Johnson vs Vancouver -https://youtu.be/Zr-ASzolyh4
    Away trips: 2014 - Seattle. 2015 - Montreal. 2016 - Montreal x2. Playoffs - NYCFC, Montreal. 2017 - Salt Lake, Philly, Ottawa, Montreal, Chicago, LA, Atlanta. ​Playoffs - NYRB, Columbus. 2018 ​- Monterrey, MX (Tigres) CCL, Montreal, Ottawa, Montreal. 2019 - ​Philly, Montreal, Seattle (MLS Cup final)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Better link

Actual link haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 goals stand out for me in the history....

1) Amado Guevara scoring the free kick in the 2009 V's Cup v Montreal to make it 4-1....even though we needed 1 more still, after that one, you KNEW it was coming. I was picturing Rocky IV in my head when Adrian says, "You're gonna do it!!" right before Drago gets KO'd lol....
    2) Jozy Altidore scoring v. Columbus in East Final 2017.....even more than the goals v. Montreal in the 2016 East Finals, or his goal in the 2017 Cup, something about him yelling, "This is MY house!!" while running to the corner makes me tear up EVERY single time. I guess its the fact that one of our US boys is calling our stadium, our city his house really hits be about what this team means to these guys.
    Last edited by TFC Tifoso; 03-01-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For whatever reason, I'll always remember Martina scored a stupidly good volley (his second of the game) in the 2011 Home Opener against Portland. We only won five home league games that year (and only six total), so at least the season started off nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQd2dZ6fZWo

All my other favorites have been posted already.

EDIT: Actually, Seba's goal to win the Voyageurs Cup in 2017 was pretty damn electric too.
    Last edited by Northie113; 03-01-2018 at 11:40 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Thank you!
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ones that are my Top 10 favorites:

1. Seba's goal vs NYRB to seal TFC's first playoff appearance, his solo run and finish was a thing of beauty
    2. Jozy's goal to win TFC the MLS Cup and the sublime one touch passing that lead up to it
    3. Wil Johnson's goal to win the Voyaguers Cup in Vancouver, literally breaking his leg for the team
    4. Jozy's goal vs Columbus to book TFC's second MLS Cup appearance, twisted ankle and all
    5. Danny Dichio in the 24th minute, just for the celebration afterwards
    6. Michael Bradley's looping FK goal against Portland in 2014 that completed the comeback and started us believing they could come back from anything
    7. Seba's FK goal last year to beat Guzan in Atlanta, inches perfect - the best I've ever seen
    8. Terry Dunfield vs Vancouver with his "I can't believe I just did that" celebration
    9. Benoit Cheyrou's header to seal the win against Montreal in the 2016 EC Championships
    10. Wiedeman's goal against Columbus in the rain, a high point in a low season

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Carl Robinson Windmill celebration goal

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    The ones that are my Top 10 favorites:

1. Seba's goal vs NYRB to seal TFC's first playoff appearance, his solo run and finish was a thing of beauty

Toronto was on fire that day.
    Pretty sure that was also the day Bautista did the ol' bat flip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it was....remember watching the homer live outside of the BMO Box office on the TVs they have inside there....happened about 10 mins after kick off.....great night!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio's goal in extra time against New England at the end of 2007. Followed by pitch invasion.
    If you were there, you know.

You can have all the rest until Seba's goal in 2015 against NYRB. Then in 2016 and 2017, there are the 6 or7 from the playoffs.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If memory serves, the spirit of Dichio seemed to suck that one into the back of the net.

::EdiT::

Just watched it back, via the posted vid. (thanks); forgot how hilarious the Jersey Boys celebration was.
    Last edited by JuliquE; 03-01-2018 at 01:05 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can’t remember the year but it was against new England and we were Down and last min we scored and it was only a tie but felt like a win everyone rushed the field and it was a big party on the field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Defoe - Gilberto fight goal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhhhh yeahhhh - the bedlam after Danny Dichio's goal to tie it up was magical!

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Dichio's goal in extra time against New England at the end of 2007. Followed by pitch invasion.
    If you were there, you know.

You can have all the rest until Seba's goal in 2015 against NYRB. Then in 2016 and 2017, there are the 6 or7 from the playoffs.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    2 goals stand out for me in the history....

2) Jozy Altidore scoring v. Columbus in East Final 2017.....even more than the goals v. Montreal in the 2016 East Finals, or his goal in the 2017 Cup, something about him yelling, "This is MY house!!" while running to the corner makes me tear up EVERY single time. I guess its the fact that one of our US boys is calling our stadium, our city his house really hits be about what this team means to these guys.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one brought to man-tears by that. Gonna go back and watch that again now.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one brought to man-tears by that. Gonna go back and watch that again now.
    you are not alone!....I'm sure there's even others as well lol....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was because I remember the roar travelling around the stadium as everyone got the news, and I think Osorio coming over to a security guy during warm-ups to what happened/ask the score.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recent Goals:
    1) Jozy's goal in the final against Seattle **No Brainer**
    2) Some love for Nick Hagglund against Montreal, with the goal that sent us to overtime in 2016
    3) Jozy against Columbus in the semis "This is my house" the technique shown with those touches in such a tight area by all 3 (Seba/Vazquez/Altidore)
    4) Rickett's 2 goals against Columbus during 2017 regular season
    5) Anyone of Seba's free kicks
    6) Will Johnson against Vancouver
    7) Jozy against Montreal in 2016 semis, corner kick magic/inside post

Not so recent goals:
    1) Danny Dichio (Goal #1)
    2) Jim Brennan's free Kick against Columbus 2007
    3) Julian DeGuzman Free Kick Rocket in 2011 against NE I believe
    4) Any one of the goals Toronto scored against Montreal back on June 18, 2009....one of the most memorable TFC games for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alan Gordon in LA stoppage time .. to tie the game.. during the The Dark Winter. IIRC first time we didn't lose at LA right?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I literally talked about this goal on the way out of the stadium on Tuesday. Greatest goal I've ever witnessed.

Notable mention:
    Barrett' volly vs. MTL?
    Brennan's smash FK vs. Columbus
    Nearly any Seba goal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    The Defoe - Gilberto fight goal

I take back my votes. It was this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m surpised no one is talking about ricketts goal to make it 2-0 TFC over NYCFC in the playoffs 2 years ago. That was the loudest roar (outside maybe the Montreal home game the series after) I’ve ever heard at BMO. There was a vine or something going around of a video of BMO field actually shaking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any goal scored at SkyDome in front of 50K.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me it is Cheyrou's header against Montreal in the Eastern Conference Final. That was an epic moment. The entire stadium literally erupted with emotion after that. I will remember that moment (and night) for the reat of my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Martin Saric and Mista scoring against Cruz Azul.
    Terry Dunfield with the last kick of the game vs Vancouver. Dude was so ecstatic. Probably the best goal celebration I've seen in person.
    The CCL quarterfinal with the Galaxy. Luis Silva puts TFC up 2-0; thought the roof was going to blow off the Skydome. Nick Soolsma's winner in L.A. to send TFC to the semis.
    Any of the playoff goals. Especially Jozy's vs Columbus.
    Giovinco's entire highlight reel. Especially his winner vs Montreal last year in the VCup.
    Justin Morrow's hat trick against NYRB last year to clinch the Supporter's Shield. I know he felt horrible after his penalty miss ended the 2016 MLS Cup final. Felt like redemption / karma (the good kind).
    Last edited by AlanO; 03-01-2018 at 06:11 PM.