Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the end of the day, there will be no new formations or trying to shoe horn players into positions they don't normally play. That would be suicide against a quality opponent like Tigres...

I'm hoping for a 3-5-2 versus the 4-4-2 diamond as it provides more cover defensively as we have been caught out through the middle in I think every game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we do go with the 5 man midfield, I'm all for Delgado IMO.

We need a midfield "8" besides Bradley to help with the defense and move the ball into the offensive players. Delgado is a much better 8 than Osorio (In that role, not overall)

In the biggest game, we need players that fit the role more so that the most talented. Which means Osorio and Aketxe (If Vazquez is healthy) will have to start on the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of Delgado

Toronto FC’s Marky Delgado ready to test himself against Liga MX teams he grew up watching
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/toronto...elgado-tigres/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Vanney can and should sit him. The message would be "the team with the best shot of winning plays". If Osorio wants a locked down starting role beside Vazquez and Bradley, he has to be A) more versatile. Delgado led the team in Defensive actions per game last season. If Oso wants a starting spot he has to prove he can at least do 2/3 of the job Delgado can. He also has to B) prove he can be more direct with his off the ball movement/passing. Every single time Vanney played Oso instead of Delgado last season we had to take him off because he stalled the midfield and didn't provide enough penetration.

I'm very happy with Osorio's form to start the season. I love him and wish the best for his career here and beyond. But until he can at all perform in a midfield without three other CM's doing the job he should be able to do he cannot be a lock to start.
    i suspect that Osorio and Delgado were both playing the roles that Vanney was asking them to play. Delgado more defensively minded and Osorio more creative and penetrating. It will come down to the tactics that Vanney is looking to play. Both can and likely will play a role. My concern is that in my order to win this tie the team has put themselves in a position to be able to park the bus in Monterrey. Then make that parked buss effective. Do we have the ability to park the bus at the level needed? Questionable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Osorio has been our best midfielder so far this season. Better than Delgado, better than Aketxe, better than Vasquez (who has been very poor) and better even than Bradley. Vanney cannot sit him. What message does that send to other players?
    Vanney can and should sit him. The message would be "the team with the best shot of winning plays". If Osorio wants a locked down starting role beside Vazquez and Bradley, he has to be A) more versatile. Delgado led the team in Defensive actions per game last season. If Oso wants a starting spot he has to prove he can at least do 2/3 of the job Delgado can. He also has to B) prove he can be more direct with his off the ball movement/passing. Every single time Vanney played Oso instead of Delgado last season we had to take him off because he stalled the midfield and didn't provide enough penetration.

I'm very happy with Osorio's form to start the season. I love him and wish the best for his career here and beyond. But until he can at all perform in a midfield without three other CM's doing the job he should be able to do he cannot be a lock to start.
    This game isn't being played last season.

I'm with MightyDM. Oso has earned it on current form. The naysayers are out in force on this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would play both Oso and Delgado and start Aketxe on the bench, assuming VV is good to go.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Just read this too. Familiarity and form and team chemistry will be very important tomorrow. I see Delgado starting. He will be very much up for it. Aketxe can come on in last 25 mins as he did against Colorado to provide a much needed spark.

If gignac starts I could see us playing a 3 man back with both mavinga and hagglund in there with haggglund's main responsibility to neutralize gignac aerial strength.
    Last edited by DinamoTFC; 03-06-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    This game isn't being played last season.

I'm with MightyDM. Oso has earned it on current form. The naysayers are out in force on this one.
    If we're discounting previous evidence we should go ahead and bench Altidore and Vazquez for this one too, they've not been great. Mavinga had a howler last game too. Guess he's gotta sit. Last season he was IMO the best CB in the league but you're right, this game isn't being played last season.

Osorio might be playing really well, I'm not denying that at all! My point, which I've made repeatedly now, is that Osorio's skill set does not translate well to the 3-5-2, which we should 100% be playing for this game. I don't know why this is so difficult for some people.

This game is not about putting your 11 most talented guys on the field. It's about putting out a lineup that fits best together, provides enough balance, and complements the best traits of your best players. There is so much evidence for this. I don't know how you can be even a casual watcher of the game on not understand that.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If we're discounting previous evidence we should go ahead and bench Altidore and Vazquez for this one too, they've not been great. Mavinga had a howler last game too. Guess he's gotta sit. Last season he was IMO the best CB in the league but you're right, this game isn't being played last season.

Osorio might be playing really well, I'm not denying that at all! My point, which I've made repeatedly now, is that Osorio's skill set does not translate well to the 3-5-2, which we should 100% be playing for this game. I don't know why this is so difficult for some people.

This game is not about putting your 11 most talented guys on the field. It's about putting out a lineup that fits best together, provides enough balance, and complements the best traits of your best players. There is so much evidence for this. I don't know how you can be even a casual watcher of the game on not understand that.

We can have a discussion about the merits of the lineup and which players are playing well, but we don't have to get personal with ad hominem. Keep it about the lineup.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a pretty inflammatory post. You can go jump in a lake. I understand the game just fine thank you.

Also, your point about 3-5-2 was not made *at all* in the post I quoted. You simply ran Osorio down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    This is a pretty inflammatory post. You can go jump in a lake. I understand the game just fine thank you.

Also, your point about 3-5-2 was not made *at all* in the post I quoted. You simply ran Osorio down.
    ah, I apologise. I've had a long morning. I really didn't mean to insult you or inference anything.

again, my bad.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sooooooo.....

Rain snow mix all day.

Winds out of the East.

If you are in the West stand, bring your towels - dry off your seat and your face during the game.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Just read this too. Familiarity and form and team chemistry will be very important tomorrow. I see Delgado starting. He will be very much up for it. Aketxe can come on in last 25 mins as he did against Colorado to provide a much needed spark.

If gignac starts I could see us playing a 3 man back with both mavinga and hagglund in there with haggglund's main responsibility to neutralize gignac aerial strength.
    This makes sense to me. We need to have a sturdy midfield and backline because they'll be running at us and gunning hard. Three at the back makes sense to me, with Bradley in front and two wide players to help deal with their speedsters. It will be interesting to see what Vanney puts out there.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah, I apologise. I've had a long morning. I really didn't mean to insult you or inference anything.

again, my bad.
    Fair enough.

My take is that 3-5-2 based on the field conditions (weak root base and divots which slows the runners' acceleration) is the correct way to go for the team's current form. I think 3 in back is probably required.

But I'm wavering based on the discussion of the Tigres game vs Vera Cruz being played down the seam - makes me want to do the diamond and clog up the middle, and give up the flanks.

I've never been a big Delgado fan but he won me over in the 2nd half of last year - but Osorio from about the Conference Finals on has really impressed me, moreso than Delgado.

I do agree that the formation dictates the choice, and that with Auro/vdV and Hagglund on our right side you'd want Delgado in the 3-5-2 to free up Auro/vdV on attack.

With a 4-4-2 (diamond) I'd drop Hagglund and keep Moor, and then I'd put in Osorio and keep the RB in a more defensive posture.

YMMV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has there been any further word on Vasquez? Last I heard he was day to day. I'm not sure how we get through this round without Vasquez at 100%. Plus he's got something to prove against Liga MX.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Cheers, looking forward to watching, just tuned in via Apple TV.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Has there been any further word on Vasquez? Last I heard he was day to day. I'm not sure how we get through this round without Vasquez at 100%. Plus he's got something to prove against Liga MX.
    Read from Larson on Sunday citing "team sources" that Vasquez was "closer to probable than questionable" to play tomorrow....haven't heard anything since.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    Read from Larson on Sunday citing "team sources" that Vasquez was "closer to probable than questionable" to play tomorrow....haven't heard anything since.....
    He will play even if not 100%, he surely wants to perform against all Liga MX sides.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    just started now
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Victor trained today so looks good for selection tomorrow, we shall see.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why, but I was convinced this game was tonight.
    And then I'm watching the press conference and Vanney mentions the game tomorrow.
    I would have felt pretty stupid arriving at BMO all alone in the cold.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio in the press conference with Vanney. Could be a sign of who's playing & starting tomorrow. (Or could be a way to confuse Tigres.)

Remember that in the CCL game Tigres vs. Herediano, Tigres was pumping in crosses like crazy. Wasn't too effective, and I think it would be even less so vs. TFC. But apparently they don't always play up the middle, and you also have to be able to protect the flanks vs. them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Osorio in the press conference with Vanney. Could be a sign of who's playing & starting tomorrow. (Or could be a way to confuse Tigres.)

Remember that in the CCL game Tigres vs. Herediano, Tigres was pumping in crosses like crazy. Wasn't too effective, and I think it would be even less so vs. TFC. But apparently they don't always play up the middle, and you also have to be able to protect the flanks vs. them.
    Continental Tournament + Canadian Representation = Our only starting Canadian on the podium.

I think the size in our CB's should do well enough to deal with their crossing into the box. I think Jozy is our key to this up front, his size should be a weapon. Their entire back 4 is under 6ft, not exactly young at CB either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney rewards form and Osorio has been our best and most effective midfielder this season. He plays. But so should Delgado, for a different reason: balance. That leaves the new guys out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Vanney rewards form and Osorio has been our best and most effective midfielder this season. He plays. But so should Delgado, for a different reason: balance. That leaves the new guys out
    I feel like we can debate this for days but Vanney has been relatively clear with how he'd like to play it'll be a 4-4-2 diamond. Aketxe and VDW will play. Either Oso or Delgado will start next to Aketxe at the 8.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Vanney we trust

But I still like playing manager
    Gio altidore
    Ager Vazquez oso
    Bradley auro
    Morrow hagglund mavinga
    Bono
    Last edited by TheSloanRanger; 03-06-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

imo the midfield was significantly more effective once Delgado came in for Osorio on Saturday. Delgado is a bit of a metronome in midfield. Not flashy, but is constantly making himself an outlet and redistributing the ball when in posession and pressing effectively to help get the ball back when not. IMO Delgado is a lock in the starting XI until someone proves they can do that and more. On the current roster, the only players I see that could potentially do that are Aketxe (less likely) and Auro (more likely). Osorio will have his spot at left mid in a diamond, but there really isn't a place for him in a 3-5-2

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look like it be transitioning from rain to snow with a dropping temperature during the game, should make things interesting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ager has to be in there

I've been thinking about that strike of his, off the crossbar. That is just not a skillset you see in MLS. The threat of it can create havoc defensively. The fact of it can of course win games all on its own.

vdW was on the pitch for this one. Uruguay never recovered from this hit
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fFczbFGmfh0

I don't know which of Oso or Marky should sit, but one of them has to. This guy has to play.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”