Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

enner valencia, wow there's a name from the past. Remember him playing for West Ham, didn't settle in the pl and they lost some decent money on him

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    It is in Larson's article from this morning

Yeah Larson is wrong according to my sources from official but they changed their tune.

But thanks for offering the quote. Will be glad to get the real deal
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 03-01-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Yeah Larson is wrong according to my sources from official but they changed their tune.

But thanks for offering the quote. Will be glad to get the real deal
    Does the official site count?
    https://www.concacafchampionsleague....ab_team=rounds
    The MLS Site, Ticketmaster, TFC site, Wikipedia, Google.

Pretty much everything is saying the 7th.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking about the actual game, I think that TFC needs a minimum 2 goal lead heading into Mexico, maybe more. It won't do to tie this match, or even win 1-0.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Talking about the actual game, I think that TFC needs a minimum 2 goal lead heading into Mexico, maybe more. It won't do to tie this match, or even win 1-0.
    3-0 or 4-1 win and then i'll be comfortable.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    3-0 or 4-1 win and then i'll be comfortable.
    The books have us as slight dogs @ home..as much as I would love a 2 goal lead we could not score even 1 goal vs Colorado or Columbus at home.

The odds of us advancing into the semis IMO are 10% max

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea what lineup and personnel to recommend vs. Tigres, especially after the last two games. I hope that Vanney and Co. have been watching lots of tape and have something up their sleeves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would go back to 1-3-5-2. Save for the final vs Seattle, I don't think we had much success with the diamond last year. If I remember correctly, we started the season with the diamond and really struggled until switched to 3-5-2.

Bono
    VDW Moor Mavinga
    Auro. Bradley. Morrow
    Aketxe. Vazquez
    Giovinco Altidore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marquis View Post
    I would go back to 1-3-5-2. Save for the final vs Seattle, I don't think we had much success with the diamond last year. If I remember correctly, we started the season with the diamond and really struggled until switched to 3-5-2.

Bono
    VDW Moor Mavinga
    Auro. Bradley. Morrow
    Aketxe. Vazquez
    Giovinco Altidore
    For me Van de Weil isn't ready and gets another chance against a weak team. Aketke and Vazquez unbalanced. Osori and Delgado deserve a spot by good play. So it's tricky. Zavs is a sub but haggling moor Mavinga isnt perfect either. We aren't balanced. Maybe hasler, actually

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say this with absolute certainty. Same lineup as Saturday (ex Moor in for Zavaleta). That was the point. That is how Vanney rolls.

Patience. We tore Columbus apart in the second half, but for the last touch.

It's coming together.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Moore & Delgado come in - Osorio & Aketxe sit, & we go with a 3-5-2. Tigres has speed on the outside we havn't faced yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^It’s possible Delgado comes in. That is a 50/50 call.

But that 30 meter knuckling screamer off the bar has me drooling, and must be on Vanney’s mind. I think Ager has elements to his game that make him the choice.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I say this with absolute certainty. Same lineup as Saturday (ex Moor in for Zavaleta). That was the point. That is how Vanney rolls.

It's coming together.
    Auro is also needed at right back. Vdw isn't ready yet. Auro on another level right now playing very well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Auro is also needed at right back. Vdw isn't ready yet. Auro on another level right now playing very well.
    Nope. This isn’t close either. If Auro were playing Wednesday, he would have started yesterday.

He is a great prospect, but he is not used to the caliber of play we will see Wednesday.

(Auro wasn't that good yesterday, btw. Not bad, but nothing to be excited about.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am excited for this, but it's important to be realistic about the likelihood of success in this tournament. We are likely to NOT do well in this.

Going into this year, MLS teams were 3-28 against Liga MX in CCL. Let's say that, we're the champions, we have this huge payroll, we deserve to be rated as twice as likely as the historical average to win, so maybe we are 20% like to win any series against any Mexican team.

The odds of us winning 3 series against Mexican teams, if we are 80/20 underdogs on average in each, is....

125/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's coming together.
    I think this thought that we sucked on saturday it is way over blown

as well as the 2nd half we had a number of really top level touches in the first half in the final 3rd that just missed on execution

i am really excited about the possibilities with this group

Tigres is going to be a major challenge, but it will be fun and i do see us winning the shield and league this year

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. This isn’t close either. If Auro were playing Wednesday, he would have started yesterday.

He is a great prospect, but he is not used to the caliber of play we will see Wednesday.

(Auro wasn't that good yesterday, btw. Not bad, but nothing to be excited about.)
    And you think vdw was? Vdw wasn't great, he wasn't even good. Poor defensively and offered nothing attacking. It's his first game yes but he's clearly not ready. In the 3 games so far Auro has shown plenty of energy and movement to open up channels for other players.

At least 2 to 3 x i saw vazques yelling at vdw to move up and get open when he was looking for outlets. If we plan to play more defensive agains tigres then maybe vdw will play. But Auro has definitely done more so far.

Drew moor didn't start yesterday and he's also likely to start on Wed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    And you think vdw was? Vdw wasn't great, he wasn't even good. Poor defensively and offered nothing attacking. It's his first game yes but he's clearly not ready. In the 3 games so far Auro has shown plenty of energy and movement to open up channels for other players.

At least 2 to 3 x i saw vazques yelling at vdw to move up and get open when he was looking for outlets. If we plan to play more defensive agains tigres then maybe vdw will play. But Auro has definitely done more so far.

Drew moor didn't start yesterday and he's also likely to start on Wed.
    I agree with most everything you say. But vdW has been in dozens of games like this, Auro hasn't been in any. I think vdW goes for reasons that have zip to do with how he looked yesterday.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to make a comparison here and people will likely laugh but here goes.

Ashely Cole

First time he plays for LAG, he looks off the pace and offered nothing.

Now, he's their lockdown LB who opposing attacks actively avoid & he's their captain.

Give him a few games. His technical ability is superb & his athleticism is obvious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VdW won't start against Tigres...his match fitness isn't there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love a 4-3-3

Bono; Morrow, Mavinga, Hagglund, VDW/Auro; Bradley, Vazquez, Delgado; Giovinco, Altidore, Aketxe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in his Ajax days VdW sometimes faced criticism for lackluster play in Eredivisie matches. But he always stepped up huge in big games, especial CL games. He's mostly a big game player. He was brought in for this reason. You don't leave that player on the bench in one of the toughest games in club history, regardless of apparent (one game sample) form. Vanney knows this too. He didn't start VdW yesterday on a tryout basis, he started because he needs him for the CCL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^It’s possible Delgado comes in. That is a 50/50 call.

But that 30 meter knuckling screamer off the bar has me drooling, and must be on Vanney’s mind. I think Ager has elements to his game that make him the choice.
    I think if Delgado comes in it's going to be for Osorio. Right now those two are competing for the same spot, and Delgado offers superior control of the midfield. Yesterday things didn't start working in the midfield until Delgado came on for Osorio. And as much as Aketxe didn't have the greatest debut, he clearly offers a lot of qualities that the other two simply don't. And Vazquez isn't leaving the lineup any time soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am excited for this, but it's important to be realistic about the likelihood of success in this tournament. We are likely to NOT do well in this.

Going into this year, MLS teams were 3-28 against Liga MX in CCL. Let's say that, we're the champions, we have this huge payroll, we deserve to be rated as twice as likely as the historical average to win, so maybe we are 20% like to win any series against any Mexican team.

The odds of us winning 3 series against Mexican teams, if we are 80/20 underdogs on average in each, is....

125/1
    Agreed that some may not realize how low the likelihood of winning CCL is. I would hope that 80/20 is too severe, but even if each of the three remaining rounds is a 50-50 proposition, which seems pretty optimistic, the a priori odds before playing the first one are 7 to 1 against winning all three. As fairly slim 3:2 dogs in each round, it's about 15 to 1. I'm hoping for the best but not holding my breath.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's coming together.
    Suddenly we have no pace in the team and it's a big worry. Yesterday Columbus were far quicker and they did us easily. Tigres could really tear us apart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    Suddenly we have no pace in the team and it's a big worry. Yesterday Columbus were far quicker and they did us easily. Tigres could really tear us apart.
    Columbus didn't play on Wednesday night and their next game isn't until next Saturday. Meanwhile weare due to play arguably the most stacked team in North America in a competitive match in a few days. Playing up to their speed would have been poor team management.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I think if Delgado comes in it's going to be for Osorio. Right now those two are competing for the same spot, and Delgado offers superior control of the midfield. Yesterday things didn't start working in the midfield until Delgado came on for Osorio. And as much as Aketxe didn't have the greatest debut, he clearly offers a lot of qualities that the other two simply don't. And Vazquez isn't leaving the lineup any time soon.
    The players who have earned the spots by quality of play are Osorio and Delgado. They work well with Bradley.
    And Vanney usually rewards that quality.

Right now Vasquez has not been his best, Van Der Weil is clearly not ready, and having Aketxe and Vasquez in the same lineup isn't balanced. It makes sense in that context for Vanney to do something like:

Hagglund Moor Mavinga
    Auro Delgado Bradley Osorio Morrow
    Altidore Giovinco

Vasquez is carrying a knock and has been nowhere near his best. He and Agar are too similar for balance and Agar himself was inconsistent and VdW way off the pace.

We can drool at the potential of Agar VdW etc but right now the best lineup doesn't include them. I am confident they will get up to speed. But they aren't there yet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tigres are playing right now. Have pretty much a full strength side out against Veracruz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    The players who have earned the spots by quality of play are Osorio and Delgado. They work well with Bradley.
    And Vanney usually rewards that quality.

Right now Vasquez has not been his best, Van Der Weil is clearly not ready, and having Aketxe and Vasquez in the same lineup isn't balanced. It makes sense in that context for Vanney to do something like:

Hagglund Moor Mavinga
    Auro Delgado Bradley Osorio Morrow
    Altidore Giovinco

Vasquez is carrying a knock and has been nowhere near his best. He and Agar are too similar for balance and Agar himself was inconsistent and VdW way off the pace.

We can drool at the potential of Agar VdW etc but right now the best lineup doesn't include them. I am confident they will get up to speed. But they aren't there yet
    It sounded like Vazquez's injury wasn't very serious, I got the sense that if the game was more important or we didn't have a more important game coming up, he could've continued.

Given that realistically we need something like a 2-0 or 3-1 win to have a chance of advancing and therefore we need to be scoring multiple goals, I can't see Vazquez being pulled out of the lineup unless he really can't play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    It sounded like Vazquez's injury wasn't very serious, I got the sense that if the game was more important or we didn't have a more important game coming up, he could've continued.

Given that realistically we need something like a 2-0 or 3-1 win to have a chance of advancing and therefore we need to be scoring multiple goals, I can't see Vazquez being pulled out of the lineup unless he really can't play.
    You could be right. But he hasn't been himself. In that case, Osorio loses out, because they need Delgado for balance, which is very harsh. He has been head and shoulders above Vasquez so far this year.