Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Osorio has been our best midfielder so far this season. Better than Delgado, better than Aketxe, better than Vasquez (who has been very poor) and better even than Bradley. Vanney cannot sit him. What message does that send to other players?
    just sayin'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How bout that tackle from Mavinga. I thought he had an outstanding game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Still can't believe it, what a move by Jonathan, cheers to that !!!

Pitch is looking good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    What an insane finish from Osorio! I think he's going to have a good season, at least the early indications are that he will. I wish more fans would support him week in and week out, as opposed to just when he scores
    we have four CONCACAF goals. He has two of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Guys can we seriously stop shitting on him...

I know mostly it's in jest from you guys... but please look at what he's put out there over the last six months.

He looks to be taking a step forward in his game.., a page out of Giovinco if you will. His touches are crisper and more decisive.. he missed a sitter today and then goes out and gets a back heel goal that was way harder to score than the sitter he missed. Altidore had a chance that I wouldn't exactly call a sitter but we all stand by him.

Let's stand by our home grown, especially when he's clearly producing.
    Yes. Exactly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I though TFC would need a 2 goal win to have a chance going back into Mexico, but after last night, here's my observations.....

- thrilled with the 1 goal win.....it would've been easy to let the shoulders drop after going down, but our boys showed great spirit
    - man for man, TFC was equal at the very least to Tigres last night....showed that we can definitely go toe-to-toe with them, and I think the defense did a good job handling Valencia and Vargas, buuuuuuut......
    - Ginac was a handful, especially for Zavaleta.....in the limited time Hagglund had on, I though he handled Ginac very well.
    - Vargas' goal came from "a moment of brilliance".....nothing more
    - imo, TFC had many more QUALITY chances than Tigres....they could've had 3+ goals
    - don't know why some are so hard on vdW.....he looked much more the part last night....I saw some nice one touch play and runs....he does need a bit more time to get adjusted, but a much better game against superior opposition is a lot to be positive about
    - Osorio has been building on each performance since late last year
    - but for as good as Osorio and Delgado were last night, I always sensed a bit of nervousness on the ball....Vasquez had a different calmness, on the other hand, in the limited time he was on
    - Mavinga has mastered the hook slide tackle....its beautiful to watch
    - Bradley.....just everything he does.....I love you, man...

Between this great match last night and Juve v Spurs earlier in the day, I was totally emotionally spent last night.....but a great night for sure!!
    On to next week, Reds!
    Last edited by TFC Tifoso; 03-08-2018 at 09:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why we play anything other than 3 5 2, we look great in that formation.

Delgado is boss, first goal is all him, just 22 and plays like an old pro.

Best game I've seen at Bmo, can't wait to see more games against Liga MX teams, nights like last night are why we need to win the Voyageurs year after year after year.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahaha. Oops. Fixed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as last nights game was fantastic, how soon we forget just how incredible leg 2 of the 2016 semi final was vs Montreal. That's the most exciting TFC game ever played.

Tigres game top 5... but I suspect a case of short term memory if it's suggested to be the best ever. It might be a top 5 most impressive and fundamentally sound games they've played considering the competition as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    As much as last nights game was fantastic, how soon we forget just how incredible leg 2 of the 2016 semi final was vs Montreal. That's the most exciting TFC game ever played.

Tigres game top 5... but I suspect a case of short term memory if it's suggested to be the best ever. It might be a top 5 most impressive and fundamentally sound games they've played considering the competition as well.
    Yesterday's match was exciting but I think both semi matches in 2016 against Montreal were emotional rollercoasters that will never be forgotten!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think we can sit back and play for the draw in Mexico. I felt Tigres was playing for the draw after Jozy scored and we see what happened. I feel if we play for the draw, then Tigres will have a moment and pop one in. A goal for us is essential, especially with Tigers scoring an away goal.

I can see Aketxe playing a major role next game. Maybe part of Vanneys plan to keep some mystery just like not breaking out the 352 until this game. Although hard to decide who to take out, I was impressed with both Oso and Marky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    - Ginac was a handful, especially for Zavaleta.....in the limited time Hagglund had on, I though he handled Ginac very well.

- don't know why some are so hard on vdW.....he looked much more the part last night....I saw some nice one touch play and runs....he does need a bit more time to get adjusted, but a much better game against superior opposition is a lot to be positive about
    I don't think these two things are unrelated.

I do think that Hagglund benefited a bit from being fresh against an 80-minute-in Ginac but I would have been happy to have him on to start instead of Zav.

I also think a better first pass up the flank will make vdW more effective. And Zav was not on target with his outlet passes.

(vdW was pretty strong defensively I thought, although he'd get turned if he tried to dig into the turf too hard.)

I'm not sure if Hagglund is the long term solution on the right as a CB, but I'm pretty sure that Zav is not. He's serviceable but not quite at the level you need for a game like last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy's goal was great too. A lot of players would just control that ball and try to play with their back to the defender. The way Jozy let it run to the side, shield the defender and create the angle to shoot across his body was class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think VdW was pretty strong. He made a lot of nice passes building from the back, very clever player. He is very creative, brings a whole new look to the back.

Auro was a nice spark from the bench too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba was the hidden hand, the straw that stirs the drink, on both goals

Providing the best service in MLS for two years now. Even better than VV.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed - this is a case of recency bias in my opinion -- an exciting game for sure, but the Mtl second leg had way more ups and downs and emotional swings than last night, and winning the MLS Cup is more fundamentally important to this franchise than a Quarter-Final win in the FIRST LEG of a series played at home. The Nov 30th game (in terms of sheer drama with our greatest rival), and the MLS Cup from December (ie. winning a Championship in redemptive fashion) will be talked about for much much longer than last night's win, especially if we don't go through and lose next week to Tigres (then it will be "it was a nice game but then they went to Mexico and lost 3-0" - will we really think it was that impressive/important then? - or will we think that Tigres was taking it easy because they knew the home match would allow them to dominate like almost every other Mexican team has in this tournament).......now if we win the CCL then the run of form that it would take to do such a monumental task (including last night's game) will take on a much greater meaning in retrospect....I'm not trading how I felt watching this team play on December 9th, 2017 for last night's win -In my opinion we are supposed to be competitive in our stadium in a match like this (I know everyone is impressed at the result, but truthfully I expected it to be at least a tie or maybe a one goal win) but in this scenario Tigres knows they have the home game in their back-pocket (unlike pulling it off in a sudden death playoff game where neither team can "afford" to lose), now if we pull off a game like yesterday in Mexico next week when everything is on the line for Tigres and the "safety net" of a home game is removed - then I might agree with the sentiment of how impressive it was and whether it was their best performance ever.

Again - great game, but without a result in Mexico next week, it will be much less impressive to me - get a result in Mexico to eliminate the Liga MX champion and now you've really done something.....sorry if that's harsh, but that's the standard now to show me that this team is truly "better than last year".....I'll take multiple MLS Cups (and Supporters Shields) over a home win in a two legged affair, if it simply ends in a bad loss and our elimination the following week.....I guess we will all see next Tuesday how great this team can really be in Concacaf - that's the real test.....(FYI - We beat Cruz Azul 2-1 at BMO and tied them in Mexico (!) in August-September 2010 (and they were first place in the Apertura season that ran from July 2010-December-2010) - does anyone really still talk about how awesome that was? - not really, as it led to nowhere and ultimately meant nothing.....getting a result when it matters most, or leads to something greater than has ever been achieved by a team in our region, that will be the next step forward in our evolution on the world stage.....if not, it was a nice night out at BMO, a very well played game, but it's not going down in my top two memories in that place....

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    I think it speaks to Tigres' own preparation for the game, that in the first half they were double/triple teaming Osorio when he was receiving the ball. Without Vazquez on the field they believed the ball's path was through him from Bradley to the front two. (and I think they were right)

The adjustment of Seba to drop deep, of Bradley to bypass, and Vazquez coming on, meant that Tigres could no longer focus on Oso, and he flourished in the second half.

A note - the press works on this team. We forced turnovers when we didn't sit back. Their back 4 could be forced.
    Agreed. Their attackers are elite, but their backline is vulnerable to our Jozy/Giovinco combo of quickness and strength. We saw their defenders get in late on tackles and resort to fouls on Giovinco, while Jozy outmuscled them on a few occasions. We need to go after them, especially Juninho, who looked like he was surprised by how good our forwards were on a few occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Jozy's goal was great too. A lot of players would just control that ball and try to play with their back to the defender. The way Jozy let it run to the side, shield the defender and create the angle to shoot across his body was class.
    That goal was outstanding. What a play! And the shot placement was stellar, as well. Mr. Clutch came through again right when we needed him.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    we have four CONCACAF goals. He has two of them.
    I am just hoping that Osorio's confidence has turned the corner finally and he can excel and become consistent. I admit I have always shit on Oso but have praised when he has played well, again I felt he had lost his confidence a few years ago, although he can stick his 'I don't get enough recognition from the fans' comment up his ass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do think that Hagglund benefited a bit from being fresh against an 80-minute-in Ginac but I would have been happy to have him on to start instead of Zav.

I also think a better first pass up the flank will make vdW more effective. And Zav was not on target with his outlet passes.

(vdW was pretty strong defensively I thought, although he'd get turned if he tried to dig into the turf too hard.)

I'm not sure if Hagglund is the long term solution on the right as a CB, but I'm pretty sure that Zav is not. He's serviceable but not quite at the level you need for a game like last night.
    all fair points, especially on the bolded.....I was thinking the same as I typed my post

regarding the 2 of them (Hagglund and Zavs).....I think both are "serviceable" like you say....both have a very similar game, but Hagglund offers more in the air and maybe a bit stronger....Zavs moves the ball better imo, but not necessarily last night....

out of any player on our Starting XI, either one would be the "weak link", but that is really for lack of a better phrase, as I think we're a bit spoiled with the quality of the rest of our regular starters

Either one can play on any day, depending on the opponent, but I'd like to see Hagglund in on Tuesday to see if he can again match Ginac physically (assuming Ginac starts).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldtraffordPEI View Post
    How soon until TFC travels down to prepare?
    heard Wileman say last on TV night, they are planning to arrive in Mexico on Sunday....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very impressed and glad that we won, hats of to Osario, Giovinco, and Altidore for the way they played, including the entire team, now its our turn to take it to them in their place, Mexico.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big time missed offside call on that Mavinga tackle.

https://youtu.be/uRdb9sul5HE?t=4m29s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gignac came in for the 2nd half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think gignac came in at the half

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    Yesterday's match was exciting but I think both semi matches in 2016 against Montreal were emotional rollercoasters that will never be forgotten!!
    As Jozy puts it... “Those nights at BMO Field...”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I am just hoping that Osorio's confidence has turned the corner finally and he can excel and become consistent. I admit I have always shit on Oso but have praised when he has played well, again I felt he had lost his confidence a few years ago, although he can stick his 'I don't get enough recognition from the fans' comment up his ass.
    this will end up the same was as teh dero vs non dero fans.

I love his attitude and confidence. This is suppose to be entertainment after all.

and he is not wrong, he gets a lot of flack despite riding out the bad years, being shunned by the CMNT, and his significant improvement over the years. He runs is ass off too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronimo View Post
    Big time missed offside call on that Mavinga tackle.

https://youtu.be/uRdb9sul5HE?t=4m29s
    Yah, I thought he was too far a head of bradley given the speed he was running with the ball all.

That run from Mavinga, that is some serious wheels for a CB.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    All the defenders pushed up except the one Jozy knocked onto the floor keeping him Osorio onside
    He only kept Osorio onside because he got up and tracked back.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's not even really close.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy