Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Going to make a comparison here and people will likely laugh but here goes.

Ashely Cole

First time he plays for LAG, he looks off the pace and offered nothing.

Now, he's their lockdown LB who opposing attacks actively avoid & he's their captain.

Give him a few games. His technical ability is superb & his athleticism is obvious.
    For sure definitely waiting for this. Definitely not writing off vdw after 1 game. He will turn into himself soon enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Columbus didn't play on Wednesday night and their next game isn't until next Saturday. Meanwhile weare due to play arguably the most stacked team in North America in a competitive match in a few days. Playing up to their speed would have been poor team management.
    So all the speed merchants we have decided not to run properly. Brilliant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    So all the speed merchants we have decided not to run properly. Brilliant.
    Interesting way to interpret that but we are about to play a much quicker and sharper team than Columbus. If it takes "not running properly" and taking a loss to have even an ounce of a chance against Tigres, I would take it 100 times.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Tigres are playing right now. Have pretty much a full strength side out against Veracruz.
    Valencia and gignac started while vargas replaced Valencia. Gignac also scored a header. Relatively easy game for tigres. Veracruz were very weak and barely created anything.

Tigres play club tijuana on Saturday. Lots of games for.them recently while little breaks. Hopefully this means resting some players for us on Wed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wouldn't surprise me if Vanney marched out a 3-5-2 on Wednesday. He may have been playing a 4-4-2 so far this season so that we can throw Tigres off with a new formation similar to what he did with MLS Cup. Vanney's a tactition and knows that Wednesday's game result is the one that matters in this tie. I'm sure he has a reason for every player he put on the field against Colorado and the Crew.

Here's my line-up (Vasquez health would throw a monkey wrench is all this)

---------------------Bono--------------------
    --------Hagglund---Moor---Mavinga--------
    Auro----------------------------------Morrow
    ------------------Bradley--------------------
    -----Osorio----------------Vasquez--------
    --------Altidore----------Giovinco----------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monterrey today. High of 31. Overnight low of 16.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Monterrey today. High of 31. Overnight low of 16.
    Weather Network forecast for Wed. 8pm South Parkdale: +1, feels like -3, 70% chance of a rain/snow mix.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by auzzy View Post
    weather network forecast for wed. 8pm south parkdale: +1, feels like -3, 70% chance of a rain/snow mix.
    BRING IT ON!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW from a Tigres fan posting in the TFC subreddit today about what to expect from his/her team:

'Definitely! Tigres, as well as Toronto, is the current champion in their league. Currently, we have only lost 2 out of 10 games this season, we are in a good state at the moment. I read on this thread that the cold could be a factor, it could be, but I can say that Tigres is used to playing in cold weather as well. You guys HAVE to win the first leg, Tigres has not lost a game at home since April of last year (23 official games) so it can get difficult if it's decided until the end. Their form of play is possession of the ball, they like to keep possession and pass the ball back and forth patiently, they do this to create spaces and attack with speed either from Sosa, Valencia, Aquino or even Damm. I think if Toronto is not careful with tightening spaces and matching the speed, they can get into trouble. Personally, I do not know how fast the MLS is played but I have seen Giovinco and Altidore play. I think Giovinco can be a headache to our defense. I hope it can be as exciting as I imagine, I'd say TFC is my MLS team (sad to see Cheyrou retire.) The good news for TFC is that we lost a fundamental player due to an injury, so our attack won't be as strong through the right side. I think the score will be 2(Sosa, Valencia)-1(Giovinco), if Gignac doesn't play.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tigres played their home leg of the apertura final in hail and snow last year; weather will not be an issue.

Tigres' goalie is arguably the weakest point in the team like most Liga MX sides; Giovinco should be a lock to score one free kick.

When Tigres break the defensive midfield line they attack with multiple runners going forward; Balls over the top will be need to be defended well.

Intangibles; Tigres and their fans want the CCL more than anything. Losses in three continental finals in a row in devastating fashion (2015 copa Libertadores, 2016 CCL & 2017 CCL).
    Going out to a MLS side at the QF stage would garner an arsenal fan tv level reaction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, they aren't leaving Gignac at home

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Betting line from Pinnacle ...

Toronto +132
    Tigres +241
    Draw +222

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if Vanney marched out a 3-5-2 on Wednesday. He may have been playing a 4-4-2 so far this season so that we can throw Tigres off with a new formation similar to what he did with MLS Cup. Vanney's a tactition and knows that Wednesday's game result is the one that matters in this tie. I'm sure he has a reason for every player he put on the field against Colorado and the Crew.

Here's my line-up (Vasquez health would throw a monkey wrench is all this)

-----Osorio----------------Vasquez--------
    I like this but I think Akexte or Delgado are better options to Oso. Delgado provides more defensive help for Bradley then Osorio and Aketxe provides better offence. I'm more conflicted between Delgado vs Aketxe in my mind depending on if we should go defensive or offensive.

-----Delgado----------------Vasquez--------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 4-3-3 isn't a terrible idea either though. It's a big risk though. It really is a disadvantage playing this tournament so early on in the season. It's not a limiting belief it's just a fact

Aketke-Giovinco-Altidore
    Delgado-Bradley-Vazquez
    Morrow-Mavinga-Moor-Auro
    Last edited by Defoe; 03-05-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The final not withstanding, we've been mostly shit since switching back to the diamond. Our pieces just fit so much better with the 3-5-2. Let's hope we go back to it for this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically, these are our top 9 players, but we can only play 7 of them, or 6 of them if you play Osorio in a 3-5-2.

Giovinco
    Altidore
    Vazquez
    Bradley
    Aketxe
    Delgado
    Morrow
    Auro
    Van Der Weil
    -----Delgado----------------Vazquez--------

The only way you can get them all in the starting 11 is if you have Morrow and VDW in the back 3.
    Last edited by Defoe; 03-05-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was able to watch tigres play vera cruz in vera cruz online.
    The line up they used is posted below. They pulled Valencia around 63rd minute and #8 Zalarayan shortly after.

Valencia is scary playing in the right side. He consistently creats havoc. Their first goal less than 15 mins was a throw in around 22 yards out, was thrown down the right side in the box in open space, Valencia managed to get their first touch still made it passed the defenders deflection, to the middle open net as the goalie challenged the ball.

Their second goal was off a corner, first ill say the corner was created by a free kick taken by Valencia May be 26-28 yards out forcing the keeper to push it over the bar.

The second goal, the cross was decent but off the mark , gigniac, curled away from the goal near post tracked the ball and absolutely destroyed the ball with a header top right corner.

Second half, the first 8 minutes the tigers stayed back. Their speed is scary I only see mavinga, and maybe morrow keeping up. Possible #9(last game he went from opponents 18 yard back down to our 18 yard before any one else ) hopefully he can keep up.

I noticed they attacked right up the seem, between the goal posts. They also had a beautiful thru ball down the right wing which created a opportunity.

Their counter attack they push 3 to 4 up very quickly. I'm excited as I believe they will at least play Valencia and #8 Zalarayan who also is an impact player.

Lastly Gignac lost his temper in the second half didn't get a call his way walked up the referee fully told him off , got a yellow.

Based on vanneys presser seems like he wanted to get #8 and # 9 together , which maybe indicates he wants both to play together this wed.
    Last edited by FootBallAZ; 03-05-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-4-2 formation

-----------------Gignac ----- Valencia --------------------

Zalarayan -------------------------------------Sosa

------------------Carioca -------Duenas----------------------

Torres-Nilo --------------------------------Estrada

------------------ Juninho------Ayala------------------------

------------------ Guzman--------------------------------
    Last edited by FootBallAZ; 03-05-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-------Van Der Weil---Moor---Mavinga--------
    -----Delgado----------------Vazquez--------

I wonder if this would work. It gets 8 out of our top 9 players in the lineup, in a formation we have had success with in the past. Delgado/Aketxe interchangeable depending on if you want a balance or an aggressive attack. Regardless i'm putting our best players up against there's any day of the week.

-

Tigers one distinct advantage is that there CB's are better then ours and they have some unity together, based on the fact they have more game time experience this season. I'm not buying for a second there best players would outclass ours though.
    Last edited by Defoe; 03-05-2018 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Van Der Weil has never played CB and his traits don't fit the role.

You can't play anyone but Delgado beside Bradley and Vazquez in the 3-5-2. No one else provides enough defense and work effort that makes the midfield click. Osorio is too light weight and doesn't provide the lateral movement Delgado does - same goes for Akexte but to an even greater extent.

I don't know why Vanney refuses to play our best lineup in big games. It's very odd. For us to have a shot I think he really needs to go to what works best for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    I like this but I think Akexte or Delgado are better options to Oso. Delgado provides more defensive help for Bradley then Osorio and Aketxe provides better offence. I'm more conflicted between Delgado vs Aketxe in my mind depending on if we should go defensive or offensive.

-----Delgado----------------Vasquez--------
    Osorio has been our best midfielder so far this season. Better than Delgado, better than Aketxe, better than Vasquez (who has been very poor) and better even than Bradley. Vanney cannot sit him. What message does that send to other players?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney can and should sit him. The message would be "the team with the best shot of winning plays". If Osorio wants a locked down starting role beside Vazquez and Bradley, he has to be A) more versatile. Delgado led the team in Defensive actions per game last season. If Oso wants a starting spot he has to prove he can at least do 2/3 of the job Delgado can. He also has to B) prove he can be more direct with his off the ball movement/passing. Every single time Vanney played Oso instead of Delgado last season we had to take him off because he stalled the midfield and didn't provide enough penetration.

I'm very happy with Osorio's form to start the season. I love him and wish the best for his career here and beyond. But until he can at all perform in a midfield without three other CM's doing the job he should be able to do he cannot be a lock to start.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 03-06-2018 at 04:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm intrigued by the 4-4-3 idea ..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC will have a good book on Gignac as Cheyrou played behind him for years ar Marseille.

The only guy I can think of with a TFC connection to West Ham while Valencia was there is Doneil Henry!
    Last edited by ensco; 03-06-2018 at 07:26 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Tigres player and Mexican international Jurgen Damm lived in Toronto as a kid. Didnt know that.
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 03-06-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They’ll be without Estrada Wednesday. Guess that’s some good news

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In no way has Delgado played better than osorio at any point this season. Osorio is generally providing what he offers + more. Delgado sits, the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) "at any point this season"? we've played three games. Delgado didn't even play one of those three games. I'll take all of the last two years as a much greater body of evidence, thank you.
    2) Osorio does not at all provide what Delgado does. He may do the "more" bit you speak of, but that generally amounts to clever link up play deep in midfield and shuffling the ball to the closest guy to him. Thankfully for Oso that skill set works quite well in the diamond as all three other players are there to make up for what he lacks and he can quietly play the shuttlers role beside them. This season that might include improved off the ball movement but still, it's not a ton.
    3) he emphatically cannot play in the 3-5-2, as I was suggesting we really should, if the other two CM's are Bradley and Vazquez. were we to play the diamond I'd say sure, Oso's the guy. But we really shouldn't and that's what my post was in reference too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    1) "at any point this season"? we've played three games. Delgado didn't even play one of those three games. I'll take all of the last two years as a much greater body of evidence, thank you.
    2) Osorio does not at all provide what Delgado does. He may do the "more" bit you speak of, but that generally amounts to clever link up play deep in midfield and shuffling the ball to the closest guy to him. Thankfully for Oso that skill set works quite well in the diamond as all three other players are there to make up for what he lacks and he can quietly play the shuttlers role beside them. This season that might include improved off the ball movement but still, it's not a ton.
    3) he emphatically cannot play in the 3-5-2, as I was suggesting we really should, if the other two CM's are Bradley and Vazquez. were we to play the diamond I'd say sure, Oso's the guy. But we really shouldn't and that's what my post was in reference too.
    Uh, Delgado has started in both games vs Rapids and subbed on for Columbus game
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Uh, Delgado has started in both games vs Rapids and subbed on for Columbus game
    eh, had to watch the Columbus game on TV and checked out after a dismal 60 minutes. Must have missed it. Still, not really a platform to showcase his ability or form.