Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    This is probably more accurate; but in terms of preference I would rather Auro at midfield and Van Der Weil starting at RB. I can understand that approach though.

I'll be quite disappointed if Ager
    Ager what? Looks like you did not get a complete sentence in. Something go deleted along the way.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^He'll be disappointed if Ager doesn’t start.

Vanney will likely start Osorio and Delgado against Tigres, so he has to be careful. He could easily wreck Delgado's confidence here.

I am not sure Ager will start. Vanney is loyal. I think probably Ager will, because it's a better message for Delgado - Vanney would rather sub Delgado in at halftime. That sets up better than pulling Delgado, even if he is playing well. That pisses players off.

Let Ager have a great first half, then let Delgado show that it’s still has spot to lose.

Starts can be overrated in soccer. It's who finishes the game that is sometimes most important.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-02-2018 at 06:57 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^He'll be disappointed if Ager doesn’t start.

Vanney will likely start Osorio and Delgado against Tigres, so he has to be careful. He could easily wreck Delgado's confidence here.

I am not sure Ager will start. Vanney is loyal. I think probably Ager will, because it's a better message for Delgado - Vanney would rather sub Delgado in at halftime. That sets up better than pulling Delgado, even if he is playing well. That pisses players off.

Let Ager have a great first half, then let Delgado show that it’s still has spot to lose.

Starts can be overrated in soccer. It's who finishes the game that is sometimes most important.
    Haha thanks for finishing my finishing sentence.

Vanney is loyal but he also wants to prioritize winning. Ager is in form, and simply put, he's a better player then Delgado. I agree you don't want to ruin a players confidence, but you have to play your best 11. This is a winning mentality that Vanney and co have. This is why we got him. Delgado can come in around the 60th minute for Vazquez to give him rest, I agree with that.

re: Game Vs Tigres. We must play Ager if he has a good showing tomorrow with the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I don't think vdW gets the start. Auro stays at RB and gets subbed out.

I think Vanney plays the 4-4-2 diamond and subs Aketxe in for Delgado. Osotio starts.
    I would be supremely shocked if vdW doesn't start. You don't pay a guy close to 1 mil a year to have him fight for a spot in the team.

Either him and Auro both start in a 4-4-2, or he plays 70-ish minutes and then Auro subs him off in a 3-5-2 ... something like that.

I really don't think it's good for the team if those two start competing for 1 spot. It would cause too much rancour.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^It's vdW's spot. But not until after the Tigres tie.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^It's vdW's spot. But not until after the Tigres tie.
    I can see the argument for that approach, but personally that's not how I would do it. I'd try to get vdW into the team as soon as possible.

I guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what Vanney decides.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand why some people want to shoehorn in VdV and Aketxe now. Why try to fix something that is not broken?

The immediate goal right now is to win CCL. To do that, Vanney has said current first teamers will play to gain match fitness for Tigres game on Wed.

VdV is not match fit, and he's so sleep deprived from a newborn baby that I don't think his mind is 100% concentrated on soccer anyways. Osorio and Delgado has not sucked so much that Aketxe deserves to take one of their spots now. Team chemistry is important, esp against a team like Tigres. You should be earning your mins in this TFC squad, not just based on your resume.

There will be enough game mins to go around with V Cup coming up. Vanney has done a decent job on squad rotation last season.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I don't understand why some people want to shoehorn in VdV and Aketxe now. Why try to fix something that is not broken?

The immediate goal right now is to win CCL. To do that, Vanney has said current first teamers will play to gain match fitness for Tigres game on Wed.

VdV is not match fit, and he's so sleep deprived from a newborn baby that I don't think his mind is 100% concentrated on soccer anyways. Osorio and Delgado has not sucked so much that Aketxe deserves to take one of their spots now. Team chemistry is important, esp against a team like Tigres. You should be earning your mins in this TFC squad, not just based on your resume.

There will be enough game mins to go around with V Cup coming up. Vanney has done a decent job on squad rotation last season.
    I'm concerned that Osorio & Delgado together will get run over by Tigres. Colorado looked dominant above their ability for stretches of the last game. Osorio has played well most of the time, but still frequently thinks and/or waits too long. Tigres won't allow that. Honestly it was also because Vazquez's passing was problematic in both Colorado games, but I think it's more likely that Vazquez can step up vs. Tigres.

I think one of Aketxe or vdW may start vs. Tigres, if they play well in more limited minutes vs Columbus. Also I thought they said that vdW showed up very much in shape in preseason?
    Last edited by Auzzy; 03-02-2018 at 11:05 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I'm concerned that Osorio & Delgado together will get run over by Tigres. Colorado looked dominant above their ability for stretches of the last game. Osorio has played well most of the time, but still frequently thinks and/or waits too long. Tigres won't allow that. Honestly it was also because Vazquez's passing was problematic in both Colorado games, but I think it's more likely that Vazquez can step up vs. Tigres.
    The thing is, we don't know just how good Aketxe is yet. All we know is that he was a sub for a La Liga team and bunch of youtube highlights. He might be way better than Osorio and Delgado. I hope he adds more quality to the team. Or he can totally just thunder in and suck balls because he doesn't have team chemistry and don't know Vanney's tactics or other factors.
    I need to see a better argument to break up a treble winning starting lineup other than Oso and Delgado might get overrun.
    I think one of Aketxe or vdW may start vs. Tigres, if they play well in more limited minutes vs Columbus. Also I thought they said that vdW showed up very much in shape in preseason?
    being physically fit is different than being match fit. To be match fit, you need actual game mins.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VdW starts because they brought him in to start games. He is demonstrably better then Auro.

Berhalter is a very good coach. They are going to press us within an inch of our lives. Among others, Columbus showed last year that we are not as effective against the press.

If we go with the diamond, we are playing into their hands.

This game will not be easy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really think Delgado is moving (unless it's Oso to Vancouver), like this week. I just don't see how this doesn't become a problem fast.

These guys are too good to sit, but what do you do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

Yohan, I normally agree with most of your hot takes but I think you are way off base on this one.
    how do do you know VdV isn’t match fit? How do you know he’s sleep deprived? We have no clue TBH and your hot take that he is simply because he has a newborn could be incorrect. My kid slept through the night until she was 1.5 years old then the up at all hours of the nights started. Every kid is different and really the family dynamics are different as well, we know that Rose has her family in town helping with the baby, we also know that they discussed hiring help for the care of the child. Yes I agree his mind might not be 100% on football, but no players mind ever fully is. Really if Old Man Drew can do it (have a newborn at home and show up everyday) why don’t you believe VdV can do it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Vanney said VdW hadn't slept in two days after the Rapids game.

Plus Yohan is right. This isn't the same as Justin Morrow or Michael Bradley having a newborn, vdW has only been here two weeks. It's fair to assume that he hasn't had enough first team practice time to feel comfortable throwing him at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Few hours till we'll see.

I think VdW will play depending on how the game goes. But he won't start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it's unlikely, but I would prefer a B lineup out there today. Rest all our starters for Tigres.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game Day morning!

Warming up with breakfast and Premier league action, making way to the stadium around noon.

Shaping up to be really pleasant weather this afternoon. Around the freezing mark with a brisk wind from the north and warm sunshine.

I personally don't care what starting 11 we throw out there today, cause I know it'll be quality. We're not viewed as the deepest team in MLS just because.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus Yohan is right. This isn't the same as Justin Morrow or Michael Bradley having a newborn, vdW has only been here two weeks. It's fair to assume that he hasn't had enough first team practice time to feel comfortable throwing him at this point.
    FWIW, he made the comment “on little sleep” 5 days ago referring to potentially seeing action during Tuesday’s game.

He’s also been here for over 6 weeks (he arrived 2 weeks before officially being “revealed” on February 1.)

Vanney has multiple times said he fits right in with the team during practices he has had.

We can agree to disagree on the match fit point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats really no excuse for a proffesional athlete. Vanvleet from the Raps played the same night his wife had a baby. Vdw shouldnt need 2 weeks. Id assume hes match fit and ready to play today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd go with ....

Bono
    Auro Moor Mavinga Morrow

VdW Bradley Aketxe Osorio

Giovinco Altidore

Give Vasquez a rest for Tigres

Altidore plays 1st half - Rickets the 2nd Half

Sub Aktexe at 60 minutes for Delgado

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post

I agree with this and I hope Vanney does too. Oso + Delgado have been competent for us, but it's yet to be determined if they can hold there own at that level.

-

I really think Delgado is moving (unless it's Oso to Vancouver), like this week. I just don't see how this doesn't become a problem fast.

Osorio is a 200 k player. The average starting player on Toronto FC including DP's is around 2 million. With the addition of TAM and the salary cap basically doubling, if you're a 200 k player you are not really worthy of being a starting player for us, honestly. The bar has been raised. I think Delgado and Osorio will be really solid squad rotation players and give us some great contributing minutes; but no way are they to good to be starting. You need capable squad rotation players to win. Do you think it's a guarantee Osorio would starting for most champions league teams? Likely not.
    Last edited by Defoe; 03-03-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Van Der Weil and Aketxe in the starting 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But what could you get in return to make it worth letting either of them go? Sure, both could be starters, but we'll need them this year more than whatever we'd get in return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

------Bono--------
    vdW--Zavs---Mavinga---Morrow
    --Oso---Bradley---VV----Aketxe
    -----Gio--------Jozy

I like this lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    ------Bono--------
    vdW--Zavs---Mavinga---Morrow
    --Oso---Bradley---VV----Aketxe
    -----Gio--------Jozy

I like this lineup.
    I think this is our strongest lineup if we switch out Zavaleta for Moor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    But what could you get in return to make it worth letting either of them go? Sure, both could be starters, but we'll need them this year more than whatever we'd get in return.
    There is no asset we could receive that we would want except allocation money, and maybe TAM for 2019.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any streams?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here:
    Any streams?

Someone posted 3-4 days ago that MLS live is free if you just sign-up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are many links to streams on this page:

http://livetv.sx/enx/eventinfo/633661_toronto_columbus/

But they sometimes don't work until the game starts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Same here:
    Any streams?

Someone posted 3-4 days ago that MLS live is free if you just sign-up?
    It is but I'm in the UK so it doesn't work for me even if I use a vpn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you think the attendance will be? Seems a little empty behind Luke and Steven right now.