Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 1- Columbus @ TFC Sat March 3 1pm - Just Like Starting Over

Have At It People
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-01-2018 at 11:17 AM.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post

what a great song with solos that appear so deceptively simple yet absolutely beautifully perfect....pure genius...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney is going to have to be very savvy with how he handles minutes in this game and then with Tigres.

I can actually see Jozy getting rested on Sat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rest Vasquez as well - no reason to play him on Saturday. Let the new boys get some minutes.

I'm worried that Moor will get eaten alive by Tigres..would be tempted to play Haglund and Mavinga with Auro and Moor for the Tigres game. I'm not sure how Vanney is going to play both Auro and Van der Wiel..but they both seem like too much quality not to start. I'd start Rickets and put Altidore on the bench...if Rickets is close to match ready fitness.

It's very exciting to see how the best MLS team from last year has actually improved a whole lot.

If Vanney can work out the chemistry with this group we will be on another great season & will really make a mark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't Vanney have two completely separate squads for each series of CCL and MLS games? He could stack the bench with members of either squad that could be brought on as the situations require. Assume that none of the starters start on Saturday, what kind of squad could Vanney assemble?

I was thinking they could go:

----------------Irwin-------------------
    vdW---Mavinga---Zavaleta---Morgan
    ---------------Fraser-------------------
    Hasler--Chapman---Aketxe---Akinola
    ---------Ricketts---Hamilton----------

Bench: Bradley, Altidore, Vasquez, Giovinco, Bono, Auro

I think that's enough of a lineup to handle Columbus.
    Last edited by Initial B; 02-28-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing a man up always makes life easier

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Twitter I read: Vanney made it sound like he wouldn't rotate much. (I can't find the quotes now.) With a quick start to the season, he wants the bulk of the starters to have some time together.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Couldn't Vanney have two completely separate squads for each series of CCL and MLS games? He could stack the bench with members of either squad that could be brought on as the situations require. Assume that none of the starters start on Saturday, what kind of squad could Vanney assemble?

I was thinking they could go:

----------------Irwin-------------------
    vdW---Mavinga---Zavaleta---Morgan
    Hasler--Chapman---Aketxe---Akinola
    ---------Ricketts---Hamilton----------

Bench: Bradley, Altidore, Vasquez, Giovinco, Bono, Auro

I think that's enough of a lineup to handle Columbus.
    I do like that line-up. Bradley will probably start anyway, and be subbed to rest up (around 50-60).
    Splitting halves with Vazquez and Aketxe would probably be beneficial as well (and could use both on the field together next week).
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Things could get interesting down at BMO Field. From record-breaking warmth to snowfall. Most of the GTA expecting 5-10cm Thursday evening into Friday morning.

http://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-1010/news/from-record-breaking-warmth-to-potential-snowfall-warnings-in-24-hours-1.3652753

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wondering:

Vanney said the field was pretty wet and soft during the game, which is why it got chopped up a bit, and part of that is of course the underfield heating system.

I wonder if they should keep it on before the game, but turn it off during the game. Obviously we don't want the field to freeze, but if it's, like, semi-frozen, maybe that would play a bit better and not get roughed up so much?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because of the cold streak this city has had this winter, the dried out the field pretty good overheating it. It's the root cause of its current state. It will be interesting to see how it holds up over the next week with two more games on it especially with the crazy snow storm coming our way later this week

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I'm wondering:

Vanney said the field was pretty wet and soft during the game, which is why it got chopped up a bit, and part of that is of course the underfield heating system.

I wonder if they should keep it on before the game, but turn it off during the game. Obviously we don't want the field to freeze, but if it's, like, semi-frozen, maybe that would play a bit better and not get roughed up so much?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I'm wondering:

I'm sure the grounds crew considers all possibilities.
    No doubt they did the best they could under the circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Because of the cold streak this city has had this winter, the dried out the field pretty good overheating it. It's the root cause of its current state. It will be interesting to see how it holds up over the next week with two more games on it especially with the crazy snow storm coming our way later this week
    Of course, the best thing would be for CONCACAF to have a more rational schedule for the CCL. I don't see why they started so early, and also why they have these first two rounds in subsequent weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's some insight here into CCL scheduling:

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...ge-mls-liga-mx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marquis View Post
    There's some insight here into CCL scheduling:

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...ge-mls-liga-mx
    As the article mentions, this new version of the CCL doesn't solve the scheduling issues for MLS clubs.

I don't particularly mind having it at this time of year, but I don't see why everything couldn't be pushed forward even a couple of weeks. I mean, even 2 weeks would make a big difference.

And I don't think the quarterfinals should start the very next week after the round of 16. Space it out a little bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a certain logic to starting season on the West Coast or in the Southern US. Seems to me two away games for TFC to start is sensible idea.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunny with northerly winds - this is going to be one cold game. Forecast right now is for 1 degree at kickoff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if there is a planned march to BMO before the game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is five days enough time between games for the same line-up to play in each game? Vanney said he wanted to build some continuity into the lineup to get players used to playing with each other. So what is the best lineup for TFC in both the 3-5-2 and the 4-4-2 diamond? Vanney also mentioned he wanted to be able to pull out a third formation if the situation required it - perhaps we'll see that later in the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Sunny with northerly winds - this is going to be one cold game. Forecast right now is for 1 degree at kickoff.
    I'm all in favour of this. Tigres will not be prepared for cold and snow, and will be much less likely to start their best 11 allowing us to (hopefully) up the scoreline a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    I'm all in favour of this. Tigres will not be prepared for cold and snow, and will be much less likely to start their best 11 allowing us to (hopefully) up the scoreline a bit.
    That's good, but this match is against Columbus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JT Red127 View Post
    That's good, but this match is against Columbus.
    I just realized that after I hit post... Looking forward to the CCL matches too much.

Fuck Columbus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is five days enough time between games for the same line-up to play in each game? Vanney said he wanted to build some continuity into the lineup to get players used to playing with each other. So what is the best lineup for TFC in both the 3-5-2 and the 4-4-2 diamond? Vanney also mentioned he wanted to be able to pull out a third formation if the situation required it - perhaps we'll see that later in the summer.
    I mentioned it before, I think I saw that Auro and Aketxe can play wings, as well as Seba (not his preferred position). I remember Vanney talking about not having wingers so bringing those guys means he can play a 4-3-3, if needed.

Straight up with Jozy up top or false 9 with Seba up top.

Just a thought.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus I wonder if this is the game where you get Gregory a run out, getting his feet under him after what for sure has been a very emotional week with the arrival of his daughter. No offence Columbus is no Tigres, so this would be a good opportunity for his debut in a Reds jersey, easing him into the lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Plus I wonder if this is the game where you get Gregory a run out, getting his feet under him after what for sure has been a very emotional week with the arrival of his daughter. No offence Columbus is no Tigres, so this would be a good opportunity for his debut in a Reds jersey, easing him into the lineup.
    I think he definitely plays against Columbus. Gotta start getting him into the team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a different tangent - is the Jozy song at 66:15 going to be happening like Dichio does at 23:13.....I know I keep pushing this rock up the hill, but it seems like this should be an easy thing to get going with the familiar "Dichio" tune and the relatively simple words I put out there a few times (and others seemed to endorse), I would think people will latch on pretty quickly within a game or two.....I just think it's a nice bookend to have one of these in each half from first goal ever to championship winning goal.....if the majority seem out on this idea, I will stop pushing this rock, as I'm feeling a bit like Sisyphus....ha ha ha.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    On a different tangent - is the Jozy song at 66:15 going to be happening like Dichio does at 23:13.....I know I keep pushing this rock up the hill, but it seems like this should be an easy thing to get going with the familiar "Dichio" tune and the relatively simple words I put out there a few times (and others seemed to endorse), I would think people will latch on pretty quickly within a game or two.....I just think it's a nice bookend to have one of these in each half from first goal ever to championship winning goal.....if the majority seem out on this idea, I will stop pushing this rock, as I'm feeling a bit like Sisyphus....ha ha ha.....
    I know how it feels to sometimes hear your own voice echoing through the halls of these forums, so, for whatever it's worth, I'll chime in and say I'd really love to see this—far away as I am, I'd pay for membership (been on the fence awhile, to be fair), if it could somehow guarantee (directly/indirectly that) this happens.

It's not just the goal that won us the cup—it were for our first ever MLS Cup, and he'd been a beast for us throughout the season (especially down the stretch; clutch).

I'm really surprised this hasn't already started, with the CCL games (where "Dichio 24" is also sung), given the apparent interest when this idea were first brought up; guess that was more the hype-factor, following the magnificent result… but, it would really be a shame if this didn't materialize (not too late, if we say we were "saving it for the first MLS match," for the relevance there).

If there's anything I can do to help, in whatever limited capacity I can, please let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more I think about what Vanney said about getting reps, the more I think he'll keep alot of the same starters as he has for the past two weeks. I foresee this starting lineup:

----------------Bono-------------------
    vdW-----Moor----Mavinga----Morrow
    --------------Bradley------------------
    --Aketxe---Vasquez----Oso/Delgado
    --------Altidore-----Giovinco---------

Bench: Akinola, Hamilton, Irwin, Auro, Hasler, Hagglund/Zavaleta

Is that going to be the best first team that Vanney can put out there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more I think about what Vanney said about getting reps, the more I think he'll keep alot of the same starters as he has for the past two weeks. I foresee this starting lineup:

----------------Bono-------------------
    vdW-----Moor----Mavinga----Morrow
    --------------Bradley------------------
    --Aketxe---Vasquez----Oso/Delgado
    --------Altidore-----Giovinco---------

Bench: Akinola, Hamilton, Irwin, Auro, Hasler, Hagglund/Zavaleta

Is that going to be the best first team that Vanney can put out there?
    This line up looks more realistic, although keep in mind Bono took some contact at the end of the game....hope he's ok.
    Vanney is right to keep the chemistry going....I see VDW coming off the bench, like Mavinga did on Tuesday night and Auro starting.

As for the Jozy song.....absolutely a must!!