Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Annnnnnd.... here we go.

So.... Gio hit the inside post, Auro couldn't fire into an open net, Gio had a brain cramp on a breakaway, Aketxe rang the crossbar, Altidore didn't round the keeper but shot wide ... all in the last 25 minutes.

But no no no no no, the lesson is... Vanney was shit! It's all this subtle crap about formations, that Vanney COMPLETELY BLEW.

This is effing hilarious.
    The second goal was the telling one regarding tactics - Crew came through the middle of our midfield with no pressure and passed the ball through the middle of our centre backs. Beautifull pass badly defended by Mavinga especially. It’s fair to criticize the tactics. I am sure Vanney learned a lot. But ultimately the players were flat and there is no excuses for being blanked at home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Bono - 6
    VdW - 5 (3)
    Zavaletta- 3 (2)
    Mavinga - 4 (2)
    Morrow - 6 (3)
    Bradley - 4 (0)
    Vasquez - 4 (0)
    Aketxke - 7 (5)
    Osorio - 6 (3)
    Altidore - 2 (1)
    Giovinco - 4 (1)
    Delgado - 6 (6)
    Hasler - ?

Brutal way to treat fans on flag hoisting day.
    HMM

not impressed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Piss Stains came into our house & soiled it..END OF

ZERO GOALS the last 2 home games...when was the last time that happened

Tigres will EAT US if we play like this... enough of stroking egos of the best team that was

I could understand this result IF we plays our B team...but we did not

You are only as good as your recent results... Wake the F up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Apparently there was a new (?) rule that the don't let people through security during the anthems.
    So ban the anthems then. These are not international matches.
    Last edited by Davenport; 03-03-2018 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a drag. It was difficult to watch it after a while.

If it administers the needed wake up call, then perhaps it was in the long term best interest.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Columbus definitely created problems with the high press (as did Colorado in the 2nd leg). Tigres & other teams will learn from that, and do the same. I thought Columbus really dropped off in the 2nd half though, and the game was there for the taking, at least to eke out a tie, with better finishing on a bunch of chances.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here: often there was just no movement off the ball. Zavaleta, Mavinga and Bono tried a number of useless long passes, but they were hardly to blame for that: their teammates were frequently presenting them with no options. So many times guys were just standing around and watching. You need really smart movement & good passing to beat a high press.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/...t-throttle-tfc

good tactical analysis of the game
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    "Columbus might well have created the template for how to beat the team that returns much of the roster that completed the best season in league history"

yeah, until TFC adapts! This won't work twice. Vanney is smarter

-

What I did learn from this game was how important Delgado is. Also Auro JR should be our RB... It's going to be difficult for VDW to take starting minutes from Osorio, Deglado or Auro Jr. I wonder how Vanney will handle this.
    Last edited by Defoe; 03-03-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wake up call...back to reality... We are good but not untouchable. Wednesday will be a 3-0 win tfc

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figured it out: today's game was a ruse, to get Tigres to send their 2nd-string players and avoid the extra travel & cold weather on Wednesday for their starters.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ummmm, yes that sucked to watch but if we are already freaking out after Game 1 of the MLS season, then we need to take a step back and chill out a bit --- they had literally the greatest season in league history last year and went out and signed (arguably) even better players to replace the ones we had last year (we can't exactly complain that our owners aren't spending money to try to win, when we have the highest payroll in the league by a wide margin), and our reaction is the "sky is falling"?!.....frankly I believe they have put all of their focus on the Champions League games against Mexico in the belief that they are going to show that they are as good as the best Mexican teams in this region, I personally don't think that was the right move and the focus should have been on today (and MLS games in general), but I think they've earned the right to focus on that tournament for a week or two (or however long it lasts), after what they gave us all in 2017..........FYI - Atlanta got smoked 4-0 today --- does anyone honestly believe that Toronto and Atlanta won't be playoff teams by the end of October? Last year we tied a bunch of home games to start the year and somehow we "survived" that to be the best team ever.....I would hope the last two years of performing when it mattered most would cut this team a bit of slack from us on March 3rd in a 7+ month season --- when this team is out of a playoff spot in September then I will start to worry.....take a deep breath everyone, we will be fine......and no, I personally don't expect them to beat Tigres in a two leg series (that's not an indictment on us, but more of a statement of how strong I believe the opponent is), and if they do, great, but if they don't that will be indicative of nothing towards the rest of the MLS season.....deep breaths everyone......

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Someone was going to figure it out sooner or later. It will be interesting to see how Vanney counters this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Wait. Did they stop watching at halftime?

That analysis describes what happened in the first half. But not the second.

Vanney et al figured it out. By forcing the play forward down the middle through Bradley. At the risk of repeating myself (but when has that ever stopped anyone here), we blew them wide open in the second half -but just couldn't score.

I think they also maybe handled the cold a little better. We muffed our chances, they took a couple of theirs beautifully. Plus we did some lineup rotation, at a cost to chemistry. That's all.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-04-2018 at 08:28 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its Bobby Warshaw - he's not really a tactician kinda analyst.

I'm with ensco on this one - we began to slice through them in the second half & better decisions/finishing would have had 3 or more.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone know the words to the song we trying to get going early in the game? I think inebriatti were signing it when we were chanting 'when the reds go marching in.'
    We started with this song on the Wednesday night game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ensco summed it up (sarcastically) well. We were simply unlucky to not finish our chances. Simple as that.

I actually feel no negativity or concern from yesterday's match, and maybe Seba is right in thinking the whole pre game trophy pep rally was a bit too much.

Hopefully yesterday humbled us more than anything.

On to Tigres!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think yesterdays positive in the loss is good mentally for the team. Makes them a little bit more focused and more serious. Gave vanney some information on what a working and what isn't. We made many mistakes and poor passes for sure. But also made many very good chances that should have been converted or would have been 10 games into the season. Not a horrible loss at all but just a bit of a wake up call.

Hopefully tigres also gets a bit cocky based on the result and plays less than their ability or leaves out a couple players.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. The tape tells it. A tale of Two Halves. It took Toronto a half to get in gear but to play like the second half on Wednesday will be a good start. It's too bad the result. This was just a warmup for Tigres.

But that said wasn't that match the last time Columbus visits Toronto in Regular season play...ever? Hmmph.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the hell happen in the supporters section yesterday???

3-4 different supporter groups chanting 3-4 different songs at the same time.

Time to get on the same page boys and girls. ONE supporters section all united!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were sanctions imposed on two groups. We were approached to show solidarity and didn't wave flags or use our drum during the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by rocktml View Post
    What the hell happen in the supporters section yesterday???

3-4 different supporter groups chanting 3-4 different songs at the same time.

Time to get on the same page boys and girls. ONE supporters section all united!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do think our 2nd half was better but game state matters - Columbus does not sit back that much if they don't score their 2nd goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I do think our 2nd half was better but game state matters - Columbus does not sit back that much if they don't score their 2nd goal.
    That's a good point.

And hopefully it'll make the new guys realize that every game really is a grind – it's not going to be a cakewalk.

Everyone remember Mavinga's first game last year? He was way too casual, and it directly led to Atlanta's two goals. If anyone feels vdW or Aketxe weren't into the game enough, hopefully losing will light more of a fire under them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some perspective: the Red Bulls had a bye, but every other MLS team that played in CCL mid-week dropped points on opening weekend. We lost at home, Seattle lost at home to LAFC, and Dallas rescued a 1-1 draw at home with an 85th equalizer against RSL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we have the home opener after a winning MLS Cup basically the biggest prize in the league, imagine the home openers of the three other teams the leafs, Jays or Raptors if and when they win their championships it would be the hardest ticket to get, but TFC yesterday and their home opener after a championship season, no buzz, tickets are hard to even give away , stadium is full of empty seats maybe really 22000 really there in a close to 30 000 seat stadium, it just shows how niche this team really is compared to the other three.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Van Der Viel needed more time to adjust.
    We definitely can't have Zavaleta out there with Mavinga without Moor there.
    There was a set play in the 2nd half where Bradley had to flag Zavaleta and call him into the play, very concerned when Zavaleta is in there.
    The wind played tricks all day and if we had gotten to halftime at 0-0, the result would have gone our way, oh well.
    Vanney said there is plenty the coaching staff can take away from the game and I feel Wednesday will be a much more impressive TFC team that we are used to watching.
    Have to think both Moor and Hagglund get back in the lineup and probably Delgado gets back in there.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Niche is a word. So is different. I want to say more but it will only get sarcastic. Why you want to compare to decades old franchises so desperately I do not understand. I get your impatience for history but..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To start last year, TFC won 1 of their first 6 games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Annnnnnd.... here we go.

So.... Gio hit the inside post, Auro couldn't fire into an open net, Gio had a brain cramp on a breakaway, Aketxe rang the crossbar, Altidore didn't round the keeper but shot wide ... all in the last 25 minutes.

But no no no no no, the lesson is... Vanney was shit! It's all this subtle crap about formations, that Vanney COMPLETELY BLEW.

This is effing hilarious.
    I think you're on the money....Saturday's result is being a bit overblown....someone else pointed out here that our team last year won 1 of the first 6.....not worried here....

and your mentions above were all in the 2nd half....
    about the 1st half, I don't know if anyone noticed, and I don't know his name, but Crew's CB #17 made 3-4 last ditch stops by himself on TFC balls in the box in the opening 45.....it was unreal.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes, the guy with The Weeknd hair. I believe that's Abubakar (sp?)

Guy was a complete beast out there for the Crew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Ah yes, the guy with The Weeknd hair. I believe that's Abubakar (sp?)

Guy was a complete beast out there for the Crew.
    that's the guy....he had a great game.....