Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Pure' TFC fans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 'Pure' TFC fans

It's noticeable from user names, jerseys worn at games and the chatter on this forum that many TFC fans have another footballing allegiance other than our very own TFC. It's not surprising given the nature of this city and country and I believe it adds to the mix that so many different supporting cultures are present at BMO field.

Just out of interest though, who out there is a 'pure' TFC fan with no love or support for any other team? I can't add myself to that list having been born and bred in Stoke-on-Trent, England and was raised a Stoke fan from birth.

I do have to say that TFC has probably overtaken Stoke as my primary love now, which is something my old friends in the 'old country' find difficult to understand. Success is obviously a part of that with Stoke struggling at the moment (and for many decades past) and they have never given me the incredible feeling of seeing your club lift major trophies - maybe that makes me fickle, I don't know.

It'd be interesting to see how much of our core support is TFC and TFC only.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting Discussion.

I do find myself watching less in terms of other leagues.

TFC is giving me what I need lately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to watch TFC and Dortmund religiously (never missed a game), however since starting full-time out of university I feel like I only have time to properly follow one team so I'd say my heart fully belongs to TFC. Working during the day makes it so painful to miss CL games.

I also feel like this has carried over to my following of other Toronto sports teams. I was crazy with following the Leafs, Raptors and Jays however I only keep up with the Raptors as much as TFC now, with the Leafs closely behind and the Jays just forgotten in my mind at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I support KNVB as a national allegiance(Dutch father) but stopped watching anything but TFC in 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC only, for me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was also born in England and watch whenever my beloved Arsenal plays but I've been watching TFC religiously for a few years now. Arsenal is frustrating and TFC have definitely become my primary focus/ "main" team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always enjoyed/played soccer, but never had any particular allegiance to a team. Then TFC came around.

https://i.imgur.com/aIjBvyH.gifv

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I barely watch any other league now but MLS. I was a avid watcher of the premier league and serie A and watch a bunch of random South american teams back when the channels were bundled like that. I was dumb enough to get YNWA tattoed on me (It's a great song and a family thing too get off my back).

If I'm talking to a Eurosnob I'd identify myself as a Liverpool supporter just to get the argument out of the way. Otherwise it's almost all us or maybe another 2-3 MLS games a week. I watched Istanbul live in 05' as an avid and at the time die hard Liverpool supporter but that doesn't even come close to matching how I felt after 5-2 MTL last year or the Final this year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you will find many soccer fans that only follow TFC since MLS hasn't been in Toronto for that long. Maybe as the younger people grow up with it being around them there is more of a chance but even my 13 year old who has been watching TFC for his entire youth still admires the big named players and teams across the pond and follows his favourites. I guess me following EPL, La Liga and SPL as well as MLS for his whole life had an influence but he plays soccer as well 3-4 times a week with his team and all they talk about is Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar among other stars in UEFA.

RPB Member
    Away Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I think the team hasn’t been around long enough to have ‘pure’ fans as such, but I’d imagine that changing maybe 5-10 years down the line. Especially if they keep up their current commitment to winning + with the league growing. It’s great to see.

I found myself pretty much all in on TFC as soon as I moved to Toronto in January 2012. Not being able to watch my team (Bristol City) on TV probably helped a lot with the decision to go all on TFC.
    Away trips: 2014 - Seattle. 2015 - Montreal. 2016 - Montreal x2. Playoffs - NYCFC, Montreal. 2017 - Salt Lake, Philly, Ottawa, Montreal, Chicago, LA, Atlanta. ​Playoffs - NYRB, Columbus. 2018 ​- Monterrey, MX (Tigres) CCL, Montreal, Ottawa, Montreal. 2019 - ​Philly, Montreal, Seattle (MLS Cup final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are some football cultures who believe that you're only a true fan if you can see the stadium from your bedroom window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say I'm an oddball (others probably say so too) but I'm deeply, emotionally attached to three teams - TFC, Manchester City and Detroit City. My personal situation allows me that level of investment between the three. My interest in TFC predates MCFC (from 2007 on) and DCFC (founded in 2012), so I'm in for the long haul (sorely tested plenty of times along the way). Love of those three cities is at the core, just expressed through fb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before I started following TFC in 2012 (great year to start supporting I know) I'd mostly just follow my favourite players whatever team they were on (Nani, Cristiano, etc). Only teams I'd watch every single time they played were Poland and Portugal (parents countries).

RPB Member
    Membership Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew up in London, England as an Arsenal Supporter.

That said..... TFC is the first team I have seriously supported and attended all home games for...have been a SSH since day one and have only missed 2 home games to date in all competitions!! Love the Reds first and foremost...Forever TFC!!
    Official Member of the Montreal Miracle Crew 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I literally follow no other team, league, or even sport. I started watching MLS in 2007 with no real interest in sports. I really found the game interesting, and have never found other leagues really all that interesting. I find watching a B squad of Man City play the best QPR have to offer to be unexciting as there is that much of a difference between teams. I've watched various mid table, high table and low table games as well.

(I did the run of Montreal the first year they were in the Champions league)

I have been to more TFC games than I have been to any other sporting events in my life time combined Including being dragged to A Jays vs Twins game in Minnesota in the late 80s. As well as a Jays game at the Ex and Skydome respectively. A Winnipeg Jets game against the Kings in the 80s. a Buffalo Bisons game a few Welland minor league baseball games and a couple OHL and Jr A games.

I have watched as many TFC games as I can, I yell and scream enough to embrass my father lol. I have been there live when Mista scored his only goal for us. I was there to see Nice Labrocca score a wind goal. Took friends to see the 2010 MLS cup. Got to see the 2016 Eastern Conference final with Montreal. (MLSE and BMO field actually arranged it so I could get in just before the gates opened so I could go straight to my seat due to anxiety issues.. though as I ended up leaving Niagara over an hour later than intended) and Skydome for the tie with the Galaxy. I will be there on Tuesday to watch us beat Colorado.

I may not be a SSH as I don't have the ability to get to games that often but I'm a fairly pure fan. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto til I die baby! I do not support another club. My uncles follow Sunderland, my dad follows Newcastle, I don't really care about either since I was born here not in England. I've been following TFC from the beginning and that will never change. 100% TFC. I only watch random EPL games on the weekends with my breakfast.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting topic.

I am pretty much TFC all the way now, but if they someday go back to treating fans and the product like Teachers/Peddie did, then I'll dial that back. Losing per se won't shake me loose, but disrespect will.

Others will disagree, but I have chosen to be a bit transactional now. Unconditional love is just a setup for abuse in modern sports.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outside of World Cup and Euros, TFC is the only soccer I'll make time to watch.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching English football has been a Saturday morning ritual of mine for a long time.
    But it's the league I'm watching, and not a particular team (I just cheer for the underdog).

I have attended a couple Bristol Rovers games because they are my family's local club,
    but I don't really follow their results through the season.

Toronto is the only soccer team I have ever fully supported or cheered for.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I follow and support other teams in EPL\Europe etc ie.. Arsenal, but for me TFC is Toronto Home and that's why I'll go to games and watch.

I played Soccer in Pickering when I was a kid and I made it to the Robbie Tournament one year.

I love the way Soccer has come a long way on different levels in Canada.

I support Canada when they play as well as England for example.

There's still alot of work to do but seeing a player like Hagglund from Pickering makes me smile and know hey, he's from where I lived when I was kid for awhile and he made it to TFC.

But honestly I love soccer\football on all levels but Yes I'm a pure TFC fan.

GlenM
    "You play to win the game"

Herm Edwards - Former NFL Coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hagglund is from ohio.

Only player on the team who currently is from Pickering I believe is Jay Chapman. I could be wrong but the rest of our Toronto lads are scarborough/Vaughan/Missisauga products.

Your point stands though. Osorio played for my youth club. Ashtone Morgan and I went to high-school together. It's incredibility humbling and makes my support of the team so much more personal. It's a great feeling.

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I barely watch any other league now but MLS. I was a avid watcher of the premier league and serie A and watch a bunch of random South american teams back when the channels were bundled like that. I was dumb enough to get YNWA tattoed on me (It's a great song and a family thing too get off my back).

If I'm talking to a Eurosnob I'd identify myself as a Liverpool supporter just to get the argument out of the way. Otherwise it's almost all us or maybe another 2-3 MLS games a week. I watched Istanbul live in 05' as an avid and at the time die hard Liverpool supporter but that doesn't even come close to matching how I felt after 5-2 MTL last year or the Final this year.

Had always had it on my mind that I'd get a car plate of YNWA the year they win the League- but TFC won it before they did.

I bawled my eyes out every day leading up to Cup final and when the final whistle blew I bawled some more. There is an undeniable connection to a home town team you stand with week after week that just can't compare to watching on the tele with an ocean between you. I always say LFC was my first love, but TFC my til-death-do-us-part!

(mind you...I'm sentimentally a little green-eyed for the that YNWA tat!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have teams in every league that I do not mind seeing win but there is not a team on the planet I would be conflicted with who to cheer for if they played TFC - Toronto 'til I die.
    Father. . . Husband. . . Freemason. . . Redpatch Boy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    interesting Discussion.

I do find myself watching less in terms of other leagues.

TFC is giving me what I need lately.
    I can relate to this. I am still a big Liverpool fan but not nearly at the level I had been growing up. I only have so much time and once you've been going to games (home and away) for 11 years, your allegiances shift dramatically. I never watch the Leafs or Jays anyone, however I have started watching and attending Toronto Wolfpack games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is my first love, but I have to support the Ottawa Fury on principle. I thought that would be big a me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great topic, and while this my sound like a cop out, there are 2 teams I love equally and unconditionally for different reasons.....Juventus and TFC....I can never and will never pick just 1 out of them....

Juve:
    the team that made me love this sport when I was 9 years old.
    Memories of going with my Dad to the Italian club in our area so we could watch the games, since the only way to get them at the time was via satellite dish.
    First player I ever idolised....Roby Baggio.

TFC:
    my hometown, big-league team.
    Friendships that I've made with my fellow supporters in 127 (no longer, unfortunately)
    a more intimate connection to the team.
    Facing ridicule from family and friends for supporting the team through the lean years and then receiving congratulations for the same people from the glory of last year.
    Having an avenue to soon make similar memories with my kids (they're a bit small still), as I did with my Dad and Juve.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To simply put I am put pure TFC to the heart. I grew up a baseball guy in this city, my family had Blue Jays season tickets for years including the World Series years. Really did not start following the beautiful game until the Reds came to town outside of watching the World Cup every four years including attending a game in 1994. Since then I have fell in love with the game, having traveled to see the Reds on the road over 25 times while also going to numerous games overseas on a couple trips. It has really taken hold of me ( :

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    great topic, and while this my sound like a cop out, there are 2 teams I love equally and unconditionally for different reasons.....Juventus and TFC....I can never and will never pick just 1 out of them....

Juve:
    the team that made me love this sport when I was 9 years old.
    Memories of going with my Dad to the Italian club in our area so we could watch the games, since the only way to get them at the time was via satellite dish.
    First player I ever idolised....Roby Baggio.

TFC:
    my hometown, big-league team.
    Friendships that I've made with my fellow supporters in 127 (no longer, unfortunately)
    a more intimate connection to the team.
    Facing ridicule from family and friends for supporting the team through the lean years and then receiving congratulations for the same people from the glory of last year.
    Having an avenue to soon make similar memories with my kids (they're a bit small still), as I did with my Dad and Juve.
    Not a cop out at all and very similar situation to my own although I never had a Baggio to idolize at Stoke. Closest to an idol for me was Adrian Heath, a local hero. It's weird seeing him in the dugout when he comes to town but as he's nowhere the manager compared to the player he was, it's usually a guaranteed three points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only support TFC and CMNT. As for other sports, I am big basketball fan (Raptors and Canadian men national team) as well. I guess being born and raised in Toronto makes it hard for me to support non-Toronto teams.

However, I will be keeping a close eye on CPL coming up next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StokeciTFC View Post
    Not a cop out at all and very similar situation to my own although I never had a Baggio to idolize at Stoke. Closest to an idol for me was Adrian Heath, a local hero. It's weird seeing him in the dugout when he comes to town but as he's nowhere the manager compared to the player he was, it's usually a guaranteed three points.
    I hear ya!....I just seen a few responses about how people have followed their original team less over the years, and more for TFC, but I couldn't do that.
    Juve was the first team in the sport that brought to me big joy, and also reduced me to tears....and I can never lose that.

Adrian Heath....you mean the current Minnesota coach?