Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a good thing we have depth because I get the feeling many teams will take the thug route to get us off our game. We're going to pick up a lot of knocks along the way with some silly cards in there as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    Just got an email from the club saying we can purchase quarterfinal tix tomorrow.

Just to be clear, the next round is not included with our season tix like tonights game was?

i thought it was - i thought the email was for additional tickets...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got an email from the club saying we can purchase quarterfinal tix tomorrow.

Just to be clear, the next round is not included with our season tix like tonights game was?

As a Member you already have your seats to the quarterfinal match at BMO Field.
    Tomorrow at 10:00AM you'll have the opportunity to purchase additional tickets for the quarterfinal match on Wednesday March 7 at BMO Field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YOUR REDS ARE HEADING TO THE QUARTERFINALS

Tomorrow at 10:00AM you'll have the opportunity to purchase additional tickets for the quarterfinal match on Wednesday March 7 at BMO Field. Your unique promo code can only be used once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We shouldn't worry about this game too much. We're through - that's all that matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah if there was a good time to have a throw away game that was it. Colorado pressing more aggressively was probably a good reminder that our off the ball movement still needs to be sharper.

I was watching that Spanish feed, was Altidore ill?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Inklink View Post
    What kind of idiot throws a streamer at your own player right as he takes the corner.
    One who’s had too much drink?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz View Post
    Yeah if there was a good time to have a throw away game that was it. Colorado pressing more aggressively was probably a good reminder that our off the ball movement still needs to be sharper.

Yeah. They said he threw up off camera and left the field to visit the locker room. Some kind of stumach bug?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz View Post

^Apparently he was.
    Last edited by James17930; 02-28-2018 at 12:00 AM. Reason: New info from previous post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poor performance whatever way you look at it. We’ve a lot of work to do if we’re going to retain our crown, and the CCL seemed to get a whole lot more difficult based on that performance. Even if Colorado didn’t capitalize, we gave up more than a few chances tonight. Keeping the Mexicans off the scoresheet will be a much bigger task. We desperately need to find some form in the next seven days. I wonder if it’s worth returning to a 3-5-2 even in the short term

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel for the turf, three home games in a row is going to be tough on the grass this early on. Hopefully it can regenerate for RSL on the 30th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney had some interesting comments in his post-game presser. He said 'now's not the time to rest guys.' He feels the only way to succeed in the CCL is to get the 'starters' as much playing time together as possible. So he said guys are just going to have to 'push through it.'

That's very interesting, as I would have thought the opposite, but I see where he's coming from. So I guess we can expect to see mostly the same lineup both on Sat. and Wed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auro can also play midfield very well. I.e. vdW RB; Auro MF (along with Bradley, Vazquez, Aketxe), bumping Delgado and Osorio.

Vanney won't want to make too many changes at once though. I.e. Osorio and/or Delgado start for now; one or two of the new guys come off the bench.

TFC, despite not playing great, had a ton of chances tonight. Colorado also had some great chances; they actually controlled the game for stretches. It could easily have been 4-2 tonight. The game against Tigres will be extremely tough. It looks to be a few degrees colder that tonight. Hopefully TFC comes out much sharper than tonight, otherwise it could be a blowout.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 02-28-2018 at 12:23 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Vanney had some interesting comments in his post-game presser. He said 'now's not the time to rest guys.' He feels the only way to succeed in the CCL is to get the 'starters' as much playing time together as possible. So he said guys are just going to have to 'push through it.'

That's very interesting, as I would have thought the opposite, but I see where he's coming from. So I guess we can expect to see mostly the same lineup both on Sat. and Wed.
    There is going to have to be some level of roster management/rotation, especially with back to back road games in Monterey and Montreal three days apart. We all know Michael Bradley goes all out and never wants to be left out, but something's got to give.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    There is going to have to be some level of roster management/rotation, especially with back to back road games in Monterey and Montreal three days apart. We all know Michael Bradley goes all out and never wants to be left out, but something's got to give.
    We'll see what he's got up his sleeve, I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok - it wasn't the best performance overall. With Altidore throwing up (and it was on camera) and Gio not having his shooting boots on - it wasn't the convincing home and away wins that we would have wanted. That being said... Auro...wow what an upgrade over Beitashour. The brief glimpse of Aketxe looked brilliant - the guy is class. Osorio was the MOTM for me - great game. He seems to get better as the players around him improve.

I would rest Vasquez on Saturday and start Aketxe. Start van der Viel on Saturday as well time to see how he fits in - there must be a place for both VDW and Auro as starters - they are too much quality not to be starters.

My biggest worry is Moor - he seems to be fading quickly. He has looked a weak spot for the last 4-5 matches. I would be thinking about Haglund and Mavinga to be the starting CB's this year. Moor shouldn't be an automatic starter any more.

Would like to see some time on the pitch for Ricketts on Saturday as well - assuming he is fit again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mavinga when he came on showed why he starts over Hagglund. Passes were actually completed. Moor needs the 3-5-2 to be able to do his job. I suspect that formation comes back out again next week because we can't push up our FB's that high against Tigres while in a diamond.

For those wanting Hagglund over Moor, I'll repeat this:

Hagglund was tentative with the ball, preferred to go sideways & when he did attempt to pass it forward, often missed his target.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-28-2018 at 07:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Ok - it wasn't the best performance overall. With Altidore throwing up (and it was on camera) and Gio not having his shooting boots on - it wasn't the convincing home and away wins that we would have wanted. That being said... Auro...wow what an upgrade over Beitashour. The brief glimpse of Aketxe looked brilliant - the guy is class. Osorio was the MOTM for me - great game. He seems to get better as the players around him improve.

I would rest Vasquez on Saturday and start Aketxe. Start van der Viel on Saturday as well time to see how he fits in - there must be a place for both VDW and Auro as starters - they are too much quality not to be starters.

My biggest worry is Moor - he seems to be fading quickly. He has looked a weak spot for the last 4-5 matches. I would be thinking about Haglund and Mavinga to be the starting CB's this year. Moor shouldn't be an automatic starter any more.

Would like to see some time on the pitch for Ricketts on Saturday as well - assuming he is fit again.
    Osorio is one the best we have at carrying the ball and beating a player one v one, after probably giovinco. Sometimes we get too pass happy and play too much east-west and not direct enough. I thought Osorio did a good job of trying to play to score amd create, not just to possess.

I think Moor is about done. Other than the "experience" quotient, Hagglund is an upgrade in almost every way for me.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    Tomorrow at 10:00AM you'll have the opportunity to purchase additional tickets for the quarterfinal match on Wednesday March 7 at BMO Field.
    Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    YOUR REDS ARE HEADING TO THE QUARTERFINALS

Tomorrow at 10:00AM you'll have the opportunity to purchase additional tickets for the quarterfinal match on Wednesday March 7 at BMO Field. Your unique promo code can only be used once.
    Thanks.
    Apparently I get both versions of the email for ticket holders and non ticket holders.
    The two emails were stacked together since they were from the same address,
    but I neglected to scroll down to the 2nd one which was for STHs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll give guys the benefit of the doubt on some of the passes. The field was playing extremely slow and there was simply no consistency.

I think it’s going to take a few months before we reach the heights of last years form.

And what is it going to take for Giovinco to start getting opponents carded for persistent infringement? Any time he gets the ball within 20 yards teams just try to knock him over.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colorado coach talks about them being in preseason....we definitely are as well after watching last night's performance. Hope we can get it together enough for the Tigres.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    And what is it going to take for Giovinco to start getting opponents carded for persistent infringement? Any time he gets the ball within 20 yards teams just try to knock him over.
    That NFL style tackle on Giovinco was something else last night....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    That NFL style tackle on Giovinco was something else last night....
    Ive never seen a full out tackle like that. then to not red card it. Mind blown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Ive never seen a full out tackle like that. then to not red card it. Mind blown
    There's no justification for a red card. It wasn't particularly dangerous in terms of injury risk and it didn't qualify as denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity (other Colorado players in or near the box and Giovinco was traveling slightly away from goal). About as cynical a challenge as you can make, but a yellow was the right decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    There's no justification for a red card. It wasn't particularly dangerous in terms of injury risk and it didn't qualify as denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity (other Colorado players in or near the box and Giovinco was traveling slightly away from goal). About as cynical a challenge as you can make, but a yellow was the right decision.
    giovinco was last man wasnt he? he was 2 steps beyond the next guy. That would have been a clear chance on goal

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    From my angle at the time it definitely looked very much like an injury risk and dangerous going by the size difference and how they landed. Giovinco could have easily tweaked his back or some other muscle or joint injury. Fortunately he was able to shake it off but I would not say at all there was no risk of injury in that kind of tackle. As far as denying a goal scoring opportunity I agree there...it may have turned into one if Seba got past that guy but it wasn't an obvious opportunity at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He grabbed his chest and pulled him down. It was the ultimate tactical foul. If he had kicked out and made contact you could argue dangerous/reckless play, but he didn't do that so I don't see it. As for DOGSO there was another Colorado defender about level with Giovinco who would've been there to close down the angle somewhat, along with the aforementioned direction he was heading, not clear enough to warrant a red.

https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA/s...78239777574912

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    giovinco was last man wasnt he? he was 2 steps beyond the next guy. That would have been a clear chance on goal
    From the group around me in 221 - we all said no DOGSO. There was another guy back within range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not much to argue from the 2 games imo....

had the results of the 2 matches been flipped, I think the consensus reaction would be ecstatic.
    Some rusty finishing (I expected it personally), but if that is on point, it could've easily been 4-5 goals scored on the aggregate, even with the couple of chances we gave to them.

And as others have mentioned, it looks like Moor will be best suited to play 3 in the back where the other 2 defenders (and especially Mavinga with the speed) can bail him out.
    Mavinga and Hagglund would be my CBs in a 4 in the back formation.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Funny but I thought exactly the opposite. Guy [Hagglund] was tentative & his passing was poor.

In general, a preseason game for all concerned. If we play like that against Tigres, that will be ugly.
    I've seen a lot of comments about how Hagglund played better than Moor, but I didn't see that at all last night (like OgtheDim). Hagglund was not good on the ball and gave it away a few times. Maybe some of that came from playing on the left, but Mavinga is a big upgrade there, and I would take Moor/Mavinga over Hagglund/Mavinga any day of the week.