Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He is in the latter stages but in a defensive 3 he still is positionally solid enough to get the job done. If I were TFC I would forget about another midfielder and look at trying to find another Mavinga type CB for the opposite side of the back and use Hagglund as Moor's replacement when the time comes. Zavaleta would take Hernadez's spot as the main CB bench sub.
    Hernandez is already gone, so his spot is taken by Hagglund right now.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Hernandez is already gone, so his spot is taken by Hagglund right now.
    Yeah I know we didn't resign him. What I meant was use Zavaleta like we used Hernandez last season. Give him that roster spot and upgrade the CB position instead of looking at more midfielders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I know we didn't resign him. What I meant was use Zavaleta like we used Hernandez last season. Give him that roster spot and upgrade the CB position instead of looking at more midfielders.
    ^
    this

Big time....

I would LOVE to see TAM or GAM or whatever it's called on a CB to play along side Mavinga

this would move TFC into another MLS stratosphere - alone at the top, imo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This!
    It's very clear that TFC's weak spot is central defense this season, because Moor, Hagglund and Zavaleta are not the same quality like the rest of the team in other field areas.
    (Moor of course just because age is getting to him, the other two never were.)

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And yet we have one of the best defences in the league. If we can find another gem like Mavinga who's a bit down on his luck like he was, then we should grab him, for sure. Hagglund and Zavaleta are quite solid MLS defenders.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Four players were signed to USL contracts with TFC2.

Midfielder Mariano Miño
    Defender Robert Boskovic
    Goalkeeper Drew Shepherd
    Defender Kyle Bjornethun

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/03/15/toronto-fc-ii-sign-four-players

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post

Midfielder Mariano Miño
    Defender Robert Boskovic
    Goalkeeper Drew Shepherd
    Defender Kyle Bjornethun

Sheppard was our 2nd round pick
    Boskovic from Academy
    Bjorthun from Portland B
    Mino from Uruguay

Nice mix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boskovic is my call for 1 of the next defenders to make it to the first team.

He's on route to play almost 50 professional games as a CB before 20. Every time i've seen him play, I have liked the what I've seen.
    Composed player, and has the ability to play out the back, reads the game very well. His downside is his weakness, which ultimately can be worked on especially for his size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    Boskovic is my call for 1 of the next defenders to make it to the first team.

He's on route to play almost 50 professional games as a CB before 20. Every time i've seen him play, I have liked the what I've seen.
    Composed player, and has the ability to play out the back, reads the game very well. His downside is his weakness, which ultimately can be worked on especially for his size.
    They all look skin and bones, hopefully the gym can make men out of em.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post

Midfielder Mariano Miño
    Defender Robert Boskovic
    Goalkeeper Drew Shepherd
    Defender Kyle Bjornethun

These kids will get trucked on defence, imagine Jozy posting in the box on one them lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

News ..

Toronto FC announced Wednesday that the club has re-signed midfielder Victor Vázquez to a multi-year contract extension.

Vázquez, 31, was named to the Major League Soccer Best XI for the 2017 season, after finishing second in the league in assists (16), and leading MLS with six game-winning assists. Vázquez made 39 combined appearances, registering 10 goals and 20 assists across all competitions (MLS league, MLS Cup Playoffs and Canadian Championship). He was named MLS Player of the Week four times (Weeks 13, 25, 27 & 28).

“Following the conclusion of the 2016 season, teams within MLS started to figure out they could sit back on us. It was critical for our group to find a top-level talent that could help unlock teams and put us over the top,” said Toronto FC Sr. Vice-President, Soccer Operations & General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. “Victor ultimately would become that piece helping us in our success last season in winning the treble. We are pleased to get this deal done so that Victor can help us defend our titles this season and beyond.”

Vázquez has made five appearances across MLS league play and the Concacaf Champions League this season for Toronto FC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vazquez multi-year extension

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No mention of TAM being used in the press release. Mavinga's extension didn't mention TAM either, though Mavinga wasn't a TAM signing in the first place. Vazquez was however.

So is the club just not revealing our use of TAM or are both these guys actually below the salary threshold? Surely not for Vazquez at least, he'd be taking a big pay cut.

Anyways, this is great news since it was possible that Vazquez could have left after this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIRC you have to make it public when you use TAM. I don't know if that extends to contract extensions but in this case I doubt it. Vazquez was a key player to a championship team and is gaining in age. There's no way on earth he took a pay cut big enough to be under the threshold. If anything he probably got a decent raise.

I don't know why but I always thought Mavinga was a TAM signing. Having him on less than 300k is probably the best deal in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With this sort of momentum from Bez & Co.I wonder if we’ll be hearing good news about The big 3 soon as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I don't know why but I always thought Mavinga was a TAM signing. Having him on less than 300k is probably the best deal in the league.
    TAM threshold is $480,625. We could've given him a raise to just under that, in which case it wouldn't be TAM

Mavinga salary last year was $300,000. We know we gave him a raise, so maybe he's at 400k?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    TAM threshold is $480,625. We could've given him a raise to just under that, in which case it wouldn't be TAM
    Right. I'd forgotten we gave him a new contract in the off-season. He's probably up near the threshold now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vasquez contract extended

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be non related but what does that mean for Aketxe. It sounded like we brought him in to be an understudy for Vazquez, but does this now mean he'll be that for two season? Would he want to be that after leaving home and crossing the ocean?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarboroughRed View Post
    Could be non related but what does that mean for Aketxe. It sounded like we brought him in to be an understudy for Vazquez, but does this now mean he'll be that for two season? Would he want to be that after leaving home and crossing the ocean?

I think it means the team isn't very confident of being able to resign Osorio at anything resembling a team friendly contract. Aketxe is probably more of a short-mid term like for like replacement for Osorio, not Vazquez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio is looking like a tasty bit of trade bait right now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I think it means the team isn't very confident of being able to resign Osorio at anything resembling a team friendly contract. Aketxe is probably more of a short-mid term like for like replacement for Osorio, not Vazquez.
    I sadly agree that the possibility of resigning Osorio appears remote. Getting to the right pay packet and role on the team will be difficult.

Not sure how Aketxe is going to plug in as a 2-way mid though. He’ll press high but doesn’t dig in enough in the defending 3rd. Maybe it’s there, we just haven’t seen it yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just musing, but if TFC makes it to the CWC and Osorio and Delgado start and perform well, what are the odds that they'll get serious offers from European scouts and will be gone anyways?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Just musing, but if TFC makes it to the CWC and Osorio and Delgado start and perform well, what are the odds that they'll get serious offers from European scouts and will be gone anyways?
    A part of me wouldn't be surprised if either of them get interest from Mexican clubs if they keep performing well against Liga MX teams. Delgado is of Mexican descent and Osorio was in Uruguay with Cavallini who is now at Puebla.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delgado already had Liga MX interest when we signed him to his extension at the tail end of last season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oso is out of contract at the end of the season and I think Larson mentioned he has interest abroad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Delgado already had Liga MX interest when we signed him to his extension at the tail end of last season.
    Delgado got the extension to ward off the Liga MX interest was my recollection of how it was reported at the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Osorio is looking like a tasty bit of trade bait right now
    Only to Montreal and Vancouver.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought he was signed through 2019, but based on Vanney's comments ("It’s good to get him settled in and looking beyond this year"), it sounds like VV had an escape clause at the end of this year. So that's why this happened now.

Based on VV's comments ("I hope I can maybe re-sign again in couple of years"), notwithstanding the use of the word "multiyear", this is a one year extension, through the end of 2019. Which makes sense. VV would want to see what happens with the DPs.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toro...ear-extension/

It's all coming to a boil this summer, because in world football, all kinds of stuff starts happening 18 months before contracts expire.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-21-2018 at 01:23 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Delgado got the extension to ward off the Liga MX interest was my recollection of how it was reported at the time.
    Yeah, that was it.