Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pubela paid a $1.5M fee for Cavallini and have him signed to a 4 year deal. It would have to be a DP sized deal(Fee+Salary) to get him out of there.

More likely he moves to one of the bigger Liga MX sides than come to MLS. Monterrey were/are rumored to be interested.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    He’d be a legit 3rd option. Not starter for this team IMO. He scores with regularity in Mexico for so-so teams and provides solid holdup play. Nothing to sneeze at.
    Yes Third option I have no problem and he could end up forcing us to change formation so he is a starting 11 player - but to say he'd be a good Jozy replacement? I don't think so. Jozy may have sucked in England but he was great in Eredivisie and had already proved he could own MLS the first time he was here. And Jozy provides more than just goals. he opens up the game for Gio. and as I mentioned before, he scores goals no one else is capable of.

Cavallini is good, but I don't think he's a top player who deserves DP status. Maybe Victor Vasquez money, but not DP
    Last edited by jabbronies; 10-16-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Pubela paid a $1.5M fee for Cavallini and have him signed to a 4 year deal. It would have to be a DP sized deal(Fee+Salary) to get him out of there.

More likely he moves to one of the bigger Liga MX sides than come to MLS. Monterrey were/are rumored to be interested.
    The way he sounds in that interview, I wouldn’t be surprised if he comes after that contract is done. Spends a couple of seasons with a bigger club in Mexico, and then around 29/30 comes home. People saying that he couldn’t fill Jozy’s shoes don’t understand that if we were to get Cavallini on a non DP contract, you could use the DP spot to get better somewhere else on the field. I’m very confident he’d score 1/2 game pace at the MLS, and he would bring a ton else other than goals. This is something to look at a few years down the road

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really really don't understand the idea on this forum that Jozy is irreplaceable or similar. I can name like 10 players without even thinking I'd rather have on this team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most people look at Jozy & think he's a big guy target man. He's a big guy ball to his feet take up the headspace of defenders and will bull rush his way to the goal man. The only equivalent in this league right now is...well there isn't one. And there is no other forward in this league that would be as good a fit for Seba.

10 others better. Sure. Loads more in Europe. In the price range & available? Doubtful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Most people look at Jozy & think he's a big guy target man. He's a big guy ball to his feet take up the headspace of defenders and will bull rush his way to the goal man. The only equivalent in this league right now is...well there isn't one. And there is no other forward in this league that would be as good a fit for Seba.

10 others better. Sure. Loads more in Europe. In the price range & available? Doubtful.
    I guarantee you there's a guy in Europe who could do what Jozy does and for the same or less. This guy is no fucking world beater and was a joke in Europe as much people wanna talk about one good season in Holland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I guarantee you there's a guy in Europe who could do what Jozy does and for the same or less. This guy is no fucking world beater and was a joke in Europe as much people wanna talk about one good season in Holland.
    The type of players that fit Jozy’s profile is Andy Carroll, Diego Costa, Kareem Benzema, Romelu Lukaku and Olivier Giroud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    The type of players that fit Jozy’s profile is Andy Carroll, Diego Costa, Kareem Benzema, Romelu Lukaku and Olivier Giroud.
    Any Italians that fit that profile? That would pair up nicely with and extended contract for Gio.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gignac too, at Tigres. Although they love him there (for good reason, he has been a scoring machine).

I wonder if an Altidore for Gignac swap is out there.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to see Peter Crouch in a TFC shirt. I'm telling you he would light this league up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I would love to see Peter Crouch in a TFC shirt. I'm telling you he would light this league up.
    I believe the correct terminology is “he would tear this league a new one” haha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Stats don’t tell the story. Jozy is in a very small group with Dero (San Jose/Houston version) and Donovan and maybe Keane, as maybe the greatest clutch striker in MLS history.

He cannot be replaced.
    People are quick to dismiss Jozy, he's not that easily replaced. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy is proven as one of the greatest clutch goalscorers in MLS history, if not the best. Good luck easily finding that again. I don't care what he did in Europe, thats old news...whats he done here? Score and win everything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This post takes the cake.

Do you realize that 90% of attackers in this league, including some incredible ones with massive European pedigrees like Villa, Martins, Gio himself, going back to Thierry Henry, have been neutralized in the playoffs?

Here's my evidence, show me yours.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...=1#post1857235
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This post takes the cake.

Do you realize that 90% of attackers in this league, including some incredible ones with massive European pedigrees like Villa, Martins, Gio himself, going back to Thierry Henry, have been neutralized in the playoffs?

Here's my evidence, show me yours.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...=1#post1857235
    You're seriously going to rest your argument on 5-6 matches? It's useless having any argument over Jozy in this forum.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Stats don’t tell the story. Jozy is in a very small group with Dero (San Jose/Houston version) and Donovan and maybe Keane, as maybe the greatest clutch striker in MLS history.

He cannot be replaced.
    Stats absolutely tell a part of the story. Jozy's scoring has been on the same pace as Giovinco's, yet I don't see very many disparaging or dismissive posts about Giovinco in this thread when it comes to replacing him. Hence me showing the scoring stats.

Altidore is injury-prone, but he's as clutch as they come and is an unmatched combination of power and skill in MLS when he is healthy AND he scores at a pretty decent pace just in general.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're seriously going to rest your argument on 5-6 matches? It's useless having any argument over Jozy in this forum.
    No let's have this argument. I’m enjoying this. As if the only thing anyone is saying is that Altidore shows up for a few games that happen to be big games.

I'll spare you looking it up on his wiki page. He has scored 44 goals in 85 matches over 4 years. He gets dinged, but honestly, it's been overdone, he hasn't missed that many games until this year, when everybody missed tons of games.

He has to be in the top 5 in league scoring over 2015-2018.

He both scores for fun, and he literally scores every time when it's on the line. (Let's include CCL btw, he scored in damn near every game there too.)

Then there's his impact on the opposing defense. He unlocks Gio and Vazquez. Neither ever looks the same without him.

Clutch scoring is what separates Altidore from the rest, but it's not nearly the only thing he brings.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-17-2018 at 10:04 AM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

His play over both legs of the semi-final against Montreal is one of the all-time great Toronto athlete performances. From the comeback at Saputo to the world-class header to the bullrush down to the corner to set up Ricketts for the clincher, he was immense. And during last year's run, he was the key guy again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Stats absolutely tell a part of the story.
    I'll rephrase.

Stats won't show you exactly why Altidore can't be replaced - there are a bunch of MLS strikers that can give you 10-12 goals a year, so if that's all you look at, sure.

Chris Wondolowski gave you that and more, but I think he has one playoff goal in his career.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    His play over both legs of the semi-final against Montreal is one of the all-time great Toronto athlete performances. From the comeback at Saputo to the world-class header to the bullrush down to the corner to set up Ricketts for the clincher, he was immense. And during last year's run, he was the key guy again.
    You know, I just watched that again, it's in the thread I linked a few posts back. That play deserves more love.

Altidore was 1 v 4 there, chasing down a long clearance to nowhere from way behind. That goal was just incredible, it should be higher in the pantheon.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'll rephrase.

Stats won't show you exactly why Altidore can't be replaced - there are a bunch of MLS strikers that can give you 10-12 goals a year, so if that's all you look at, sure.

Chris Wondolowski gave you that and more, but I think he has one playoff goal in his career.
    I agree they don't show why he can't be replaced, but my point was that he scores at the same pace as Seba, who isn't on the mob's chopping block in the thread.

You know, I just watched that again, it's in the thread I linked a few posts back. That play deserves more love.

Altidore was 1 v 4 there, chasing down a long clearance to nowhere from way behind. That goal was just incredible, it should be higher in the pantheon.
    It's one of my favourite Jozy plays. Heart, skill, strength and precision, all in one. We were up, it was the 100th minute of a brutal tie and he still ran that down, made a great play and picked out a great pass.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

two good seasons

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy is a great player and is not easy to replace, however, I just cant take it with his injuries anymore, the drop off in overall team cohesiveness when he doesn't play is staggering, and that hurts TFC immensely.

We cant be so tactically reliant on one specific player going forward. I know its hard to have depth in MLS but the drop off is very extreme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously Jozy saw the writing on the wall in terms of his time here knowing he needed another surgery.

He did everything and more we could've asked of him, but it's time to move on.

This will probably impact his transfer fee/number of interested teams, which is unfortunate for us as well.
    Last edited by notthesun; 10-17-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he is having surgery doesn't that mean he cant be sold or traded? He cant pass a physical examination.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Totally agree Ensco. MLSE better not get too cute on funding the team. I would resign Altidore and Giovinco and let Bradley walk. He has lost a step big time.
    Jozy is our most clutch player. Scores big goals in big games every time.

I agree I would get rid of Bradley. He's regressed and become so slow this season. Very average from him this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Jozy is our most clutch player. Scores big goals in big games every time.

I agree I would get rid of Bradley. He's regressed and become so slow this season. Very average from him this year.
    Compared to his own very high standards i’d say. Maybe it’s time for a few more guys in the midfield to start pulling their weight defensively

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching tonight, I couldn't help but notice Hagglund is just not going to get good enough with us.

Here's hoping Cincy takes Hagglund in the expansion draft. Would be good for him to get a new start in his home state. Guy needs 2 seasons starting in a 4 man backline where he has a seasoned vet beside him. Way too much chopping & changing around him in this team. And his athleticism is going to start to creep down in about 3 years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was never much/any compensation coming back from anywhere for Jozy, given his salary.

I wonder if there isn’t an insurance buyout coming for Jozy that just sets him free in summer 2019. He may need 6 months or more off to fix that foot problem.