Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wouldn't shock me to see us sell Aketxe in a month when the window opens.

The last time Bez truly whiffed on a signing was Kantari, and we released him quick, after half a season. Granted, it's more drastic to cut your losses in the middle of the season than the off-season, but I could see it happening primarily because it's clear Vanney has no confidence in him (nor should he given his play). Down 3-0 at home against one of the worst teams in the league and our million-dollar attacking midfielder doesn't come in off the bench? It pretty much can't look any worse than that.

Aketxe's confidence has to be completely shot by now, he hasn't adapted to the league at all... I like to err on the side of patience most of the time but I don't know that I see this turning around, and current circumstances make all the TAM and cap space Aketxe is eating up look mighty appealing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

The last time Bez truly whiffed on a signing was Kantari, and we released him quick, after half a season. Granted, it's more drastic to cut your losses in the middle of the season than the off-season, but I could see it happening primarily because it's clear Vanney has no confidence in him (nor should he given his play). Down 3-0 at home against one of the worst teams in the league and our million-dollar attacking midfielder doesn't come in off the bench? It pretty much can't look any worse than that.

Aketxe's confidence has to be completely shot by now, he hasn't adapted to the league at all... I like to err on the side of patience most of the time but I don't know that I see this turning around, and current circumstances make all the TAM and cap space Aketxe is eating up look mighty appealing.
    Similiary to Ager; Vazquez was terrible his first year in North America with Cruz Azul as well. Akexte could be a great buy for a team in Mexico/U.S.A if they buy low. Personally I would move Ager if it meant keeping Delgado/Osorio and getting a new CB that can control the back line

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Similiary to Ager; Vazquez was terrible his first year in North America with Cruz Azul as well. Akexte could be a great buy for a team in Mexico/U.S.A if they buy low. Personally I would move Ager if it meant keeping Delgado/Osorio and getting a new CB that can control the back line
    Delgado is shit, move him out. My 2 cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Move out the 22 year old USMNT caliber player on 250k a year? that doesn't seem like the logical thing to do atm imo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you are a longtime poster with lots of good things to say, but...

I absolutely hate this post. Hate. It.

It is as plain on the nose on your face that the missed open net in Guadalajara has severely affected Delgado.

He is a wonderful player, a huge part of our success, maybe going through something like PTSD, or who knows what, and we need to support him more than ever.

He's just a kid.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-14-2018 at 06:47 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that patience and understanding is the road to having Marky Delgado come back to and supersede his playing levels. We want him to be what he is capable of being....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How quickly people have forgotten that it was Delgado pulling a lot of strings in the midfield and dropping dimes when VV was injured during CCL run.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    How quickly people have forgotten that it was Delgado pulling a lot of strings in the midfield and dropping dimes when VV was injured during CCL run.
    Delgado is Mr.Fix-it in there. He makes tons of supporting runs and provides outlets to keep the ball moving. Is very responsible defensively.

He struggled a bit towards the end of last year but still a very good player. Hope he doesn’t go anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that Aketxe has not adapted to the league, but in all fairness to him how many starts has he had where he has played with the bulk of the starters in the line-up. The difficulty in selling him now is that his value has in all likelihood dropped since they acquired him so I am not sure there would be many takers, probably not in MLS given his salary. The other factor to consider is his age. He is only 24, a year older than Delgado and 2 years younger than Osorio, who at age 26 has had his break-out year. I would hate to give up on a young player without giving him at least a full season. There have been glimpses of good play from him this season and he seems to have a high skill level, the consistency just hasn't been there.

If you look at our current roster I would argue that 6 of our starting 11 are 30 years old and above (Moor, Morrow, VDW, Bradley, VV, Seba), including basically all of our key players. We have an older team and we have start thinking about bringing in some younger players. In my opinion I think Vanney should give Aketxe a good run of starts to really see what he can do. Given how this season is progressing I don't see another trip to the MLS Cup so this may be a good time to start assessing players for next year.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 06-15-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I know you are a longtime poster with lots of good things to say, but...

I absolutely hate this post. Hate. It.

It is as plain on the nose on your face that the missed open net in Guadalajara has severely affected Delgado.

He is a wonderful player, a huge part of our success, maybe going through something like PTSD, or who knows what, and we need to support him more than ever.

He's just a kid.

Yes that was a bit harsh, He seems to have lost his confidence, what should have been said was maybe Delgado needs some loan time,
    he doesn't seem to be seeing the pitch, Ensco, you have a way of bringing back to earth some comments, appreciated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes that was a bit harsh, He seems to have lost his confidence, what should have been said was maybe Delgado needs some loan time,
    he doesn't seem to be seeing the pitch, Ensco, you have a way of bringing back to earth some comments, appreciated.
    Ah. That is a reasonable position. He needs something.
    Thanks for your kind words.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah. That is a reasonable position. He needs something.
    Thanks for your kind words.
    One thing I wonder about Delgado is whether he is the type of player who plays at the level of the people around him. Delgado's best time, in my view, was when the team was firing on all cylinders. He was an integral part of that midfield that moved the ball quickly and positively. As the team started to struggle, so did Delgado. It goes without saying that it is better to have a player who can contribute under all circumstances, but not everyone can play at the level Delgado played at last year during our run. He was a critical piece. And now that the team seems to be improving, it is possible that Delgado will get back in his groove as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah put me on the Delgado train as well. He can really do a lot of the small things. If he learns how to finish and be a little more consistent he is going to be a deadly player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Delgado's dip in form is kind of overstated. He hasn't played in a while, and when he has played this season it's been in the NACL. He wasn't perfect there, but he was sure as shit a big reason why we were able to go toe-to-toe with the best midfield's in Mexico.

i think the miss in the final lives more in people's minds than all the good he did on our way there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkLC-aEAmc3/?hl=en

What does this mean? Is he saying Hi... or Bye...???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post

Let's not be teen girls about this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spanish language twitter is aflame with Seba to Tigres rumours. No idea what to make of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spanish language twitter is aflame with Seba to Tigres rumours. No idea what to make of it.
    Nothing from anyone credible Liga MX wise. The BS rumor accounts have jumped on the insta post to stir the pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The part of the deal that really doesn't ring true is that we would take Valencia off their hands in return (plus cash). I don't think the FO is under any illusions that if they got rid of Seba they would have to satisfy the fanbase and bring in a pretty high caliber DP.

Valencia would be.... not that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    The part of the deal that really doesn't ring true is that we would take Valencia off their hands in return (plus cash). I don't think the FO is under any illusions that if they got rid of Seba they would have to satisfy the fanbase and bring in a pretty high caliber DP.

Valencia would be.... not that.
    But he's a few years younger, adds quality up front; and we could get a boat load of cash to go with it.

I'd rather keep Giovinco; but i'll accept this is business and take Valencia. Making a profit is important too

To me; it looks like GIO is waving goodbye. That's just what it looks like, honestly. Hopefully this is some misconfusion but it does look like that imo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never bought the Valencia part of the rumour. That would truly shock me.

He would be a salary dump by Tigres.

I think this is unlikely, but that is a really weird post by Seba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    But he's a few years younger, adds quality up front; and we could get a boat load of cash to go with it.

I'd rather keep Giovinco; but i'll accept this is business and take Valencia. Making a profit is important too

To me; it looks like GIO is waving goodbye. That's just what it looks like, honestly. Hopefully this is some misconfusion but it does look like that imo
    But he immediately makes us worse, and hamstrings our ability to go after a DP of Seba's caliber in the immediate future. They'd be throwing away the next 2-3 years of our championship window to make some cash. That has been the opposite of their approach in both theory and practice up until now.

We might start cashing in on players in a couple years, but the club is 100% invested to win right now no matter what the cost. This move would have the exact opposite outcome of what they've said they want to do. That's why I think it's mostly bullshit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio also had a dark period last season when Delgado took over as starter. Even in the CCL vs Ottawa Osorio wasn't impressive. Delgado will bounce back. After 6 years as starter or consistent sub he needs to be loaned out? To where USL?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw that earlier today and can't quite make heads or tails of it. It is a very cryptic post but Seba and a very odd one at that. To me it can only be 1 of 2 things. Either he signed an extension and is committed for the next 3 - 4 years or he his pushed a transfer. I would be sad to see him go but I understand the business side of things. Oddly enough I don't feel as shit scared about him leaving as I would have 2 years ago. If he does go I hope Bez has a replacement striker on the radar because Jozy can't shoulder the entire burden.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps he is waving goodbye to his friends and family in Italy as he returns to Toronto?

Nah, that would be too uncontroversial.

Road Games: ‘16-PHL,MTL,MTL(ECF); ‘17-CLB,ORL,NYC,DCU,CHI,MTL;
    ‘18-MTL,NER,OTT,ATL,MTL; ‘19-MTL; ‘22-MTL​;

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said it a couple of months ago. He's the second coming of Gilberto.

Bez's record is much higher than 50%, so I can excuse the occasional stinker. Unloading him (and giving Osorio a raise) have to be the top priorities.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could Valencia fit in a non-DP spot? Like TAM level with a buy down?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    I saw that earlier today and can't quite make heads or tails of it. It is a very cryptic post but Seba and a very odd one at that. To me it can only be 1 of 2 things. Either he signed an extension and is committed for the next 3 - 4 years or he his pushed a transfer. I would be sad to see him go but I understand the business side of things. Oddly enough I don't feel as shit scared about him leaving as I would have 2 years ago. If he does go I hope Bez has a replacement striker on the radar because Jozy can't shoulder the entire burden.
    Or it could be a 3rd thing...he is a drama queen looking for a reaction on social media just to get a rise out of people and see all the comments. Kind of like the celebrities that go and do stupid shit just to stay in the spotlight when they think their spotlight is fading a bit because they crave media and public attention. Living with teenagers made me realize the fascination, and sometimes obsession, with getting likes and comments on posts. This could be nothing more than a juvenile move like that. Maybe with him not being able to score as much lately and having trouble beating guys one on one these days he is not feeling as valuable so he posts something like this to get comments about how good he is and "oh Seba please don't go" or things like that and he gets an ego boost. I wouldn't put too much into it. Something happened when they announce that something happened otherwise this is nothing. That is how I look at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard that he bought a farm near Trafalgar and the 401.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Could Valencia fit in a non-DP spot? Like TAM level with a buy down?
    To me, that's the only option that makes sense as TFC could probably get another DP of Seba's calibre while upgrading at the same time.

But I like the rumor that Seba bought the farm, too. That means he has long-term thoughts about staying here.