Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone tell me why Clint Irwin and his 200k salary are still on this roster?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Endoh's back!

Awesome. Love that kid. He's the kind of guy who I was scared of leaving us and getting ribbed after he gets a run games in his actual position. He'd be a great player for teams who use a lot of 5 man midfields.
    Can't say i'm at all happy about this. I didn't see anything of quality in him at all. Not sure who he would be coming in for as a sub, or starting in place of, but I hope its TFC 2, and that he's also not taking an int. spot. I wish him well, but I wish it was with another team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good question, completely unnecessary to have a 200k backup. Trade him, give Osorio the contract he needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the demand for Irwin? have you considered that the salary level you wish to move out may be an obstacle to a trade?
    Perhaps what is being offered back is less desirable than a steady experienced, supportive individual such as Irwin.

In DC there is talk that Hamid is coming back from his Europe experiment, so DC may be trying to move one of their keepers.

So possible glut on the market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    What is the demand for Irwin? have you considered that the salary level you wish to move out may be an obstacle to a trade?
    Perhaps what is being offered back is less desirable than a steady experienced, supportive individual such as Irwin.

In DC there is talk that Hamid is coming back from his Europe experiment, so DC may be trying to move one of their keepers.

So possible glut on the market.
    Salary could be an issue for another team to take on, but 200k for a starter is reasonable in mls I would think. For me, it wouldn't be about what we get back for Irwin, it would be to clear cap space for this year, or next, to make room for Osorio, and that would be return enough. The guy doesn't play, and is showing the rust(his last game). For his own career, he should be moved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMAN80 View Post
    Can't say i'm at all happy about this. I didn't see anything of quality in him at all. Not sure who he would be coming in for as a sub, or starting in place of, but I hope its TFC 2, and that he's also not taking an int. spot. I wish him well, but I wish it was with another team.
    I agree with you. He did only sign a TFC2 contract, so for now I'm okay with that. If he improves, then maybe he can get a first team deal, but I don't see him as an upgrade on anyone we have already

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the long term, this isn't about Endoh playing again with the big team - its about the 8 listed midfielders on TFC II who are under 22. He's there to help that team to be better in general so those guys can learn what it takes to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMAN80 View Post
    Good question, completely unnecessary to have a 200k backup. Trade him, give Osorio the contract he needs.
    Careful what you wish for. It’s been a long time since we had a guy back there letting in bumblers. Certainly Irvwin’s Salary is partially accidental with the rise of Bono but I think he’s valuable to the team nonetheless.

This is one of those positions where you could quickly regret saving costs. 200k in salary isn’t what it used to be for this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think they keep irwin another year.bono has some interest in europe.not sure what they think of the 3 stringer sewell?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Can someone tell me why Clint Irwin and his 200k salary are still on this roster?
    Team needs to hold on to some expansion draft fodder as well. Somebody like Irwin gives assurance as a back up now and would make a good #1 on an expansion team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts back in the 18 for today it seems.

Looks like we couldn't get rid of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy vs. Josef: A Comparative Study of MLS 2.0 opposed to MLS 3.0

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm......lets tease that out a bit. This is just discussion on a hot day while I'm sitting in front of a fan.

First of all something for everybody to chew over - The Golden boot winner has never won MLS Cup in the same season

Now, to comparing how the teams operate & how Jozy & Martinez fit into those teams:

Success

It can't be argued that Toronto FC with Jozy in the team has been successful. The trophies speak for themselves.

Atlanta in still unproven. If NYC pass them for the supporter shield (currently tied on PPG), Atlanta would only make the CCL by winning MLS Cup. Given their struggles against top squads, does anybody see that as a shoe in? Martinez could easily have the greatest scoring season in MLS history & get nothing to show for it.

How Teams are Built

NYRB & TFC & Dallas & maybe now Portland are all set up for being near the top for the next 5 years, with DP's supplementing players coming up & key pieces being purchased to cement it all together. Each of these 4 teams have a vision how they want to play & a vision of when to sell players on. (Every team but Barca & Real Madrid are sellers)

Atlanta is set up on the buy young, get them to succeed, sell & buy young again model - in attack. On defence, they patch things up at the back as best as possible. I'm not sold on Atlanta as a long term success with this model. This relies a lot upon the scouting staff to get the right players & the manager. Atlanta just lost a key member of their inner circle to be Miami's top guy.

That and Atlanta talk about their great academy - its been in place for less then 2 years. (Although, lets face it - Atlanta fans talk about everything they do being the bestest because they have no clue what everybody else in the league actually does - would you believe that they had a TIFO yesterday that they called one of the best ever that tried to troll us by saying Canadian bacon isn't bacon!??!)

We all know that academy prospects at age 17 are not necessarily prospects still at 22. NYRB & Dallas are the model here, with us just now only starting to really see players coming in.

Jozy & Martinez

Martinez is a force. Atlanta loves to run at pace at defences and he is the ultimate threat in this regard. Martinez is technically solid, the classic poacher, knows where exactly to be at the end - built for the tap in game against what are still some pretty awful MLS defences. These sort of players succeed in MLS a heck of a lot - Wondo & BWP are two prime Golden Boot winners. Martinez has a skill set perfect for how his team plays. If anything, his teammates have adjusted how they play to give Martinez more goal scoring opportunities. Almiron is a gifted goal scorer in the same vein as Seba who should be doing 18 goals a season - he's got 8. Martinez is a great player who will be sold on in a year because both he & Atlanta know that is what is going to happen.

Jozy is also a force. He is a mix of the targetman with the agility, tehcnique and pace to work intricate passes with Seba. He's not likely to win the Golden Boot as the team doesn't play to him as the primary focal point of the attack. But, our team is set up for him to play with Seba because we reply upon quick passing play between the lines & into spaces. Altidore takes up space both on the field but also in defenders heads. They have to adjust to him because he can hurt them so quickly and easily. Jozy is going to be around this league for the next 5 years, most likely for a good chunk of that at Toronto.

Both teams have decided to go with striker sets that fit their approach to how to do things. TFC is looking for success now with the DP's and then building around that to build a solid all around team. Jozy's style of play fits well with how TFC wants to define itself. Atlanta is looking for success now with DP's who they will sell on, while doing just enough at the other end of the pitch to survive.

Conclusion

I call Martinez MLS 3.1 Both teams wanted to make a splash at first. Atlanta went for younger DP's then what we saw in 2.0. Giovinco was a completely new thing for MLS - guy on the sidelines of a major European team who was in his prime. TFC's approach has been to use their 3 DP's as focal points but build a solid core around them of quality players, some now coming up from the academy. Those 3 DP's are expected to be around awhile, maybe not at the same wages or even at the DP level.

Atlanta went with a slightly different approach in that they were definately going for success now but have not really been attempting to bring along youth or build around their DP's. They put in their DP's as a force of nature & expect that will be enough for now - those DP's are not here for the long term.

I would argue that Tato is not the long term coach Atlanta will have. I suspect they will bring in somebody around year 2022 that will be around for a long time & start to bring in academy players. Until then, they are a buy now sell them in 2 years sort of operation. Martinez fits well into that.

Just as Jozy fits well into the 3.0 approach of TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fabregas to TFC!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Fabregas to TFC!
    Under what grounds, wishful thinking??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever happened to that Kevin McAllister fella in Argentina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fabregas to TFC!
    this clown needs a ban.
    No need to shit like this. No source and obv terrible attempt at trolling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny enough, there was some news that he’s looking to come to the MLS next year yesterday. Makes sense for an expansion team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    this clown needs a ban.
    Wow chill out you loser. Not everything is so serious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    Under what grounds, wishful thinking??
    Yes, he's open to a move to MLS but It'll probably be to NYCFC - based on a rumour from the Twittersphere.
    Last edited by shwade; 08-06-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, he's open to a move to MLS but It'll probably be to NYCFC - based on a rumour from the Twittersphere.
    how did you interpret to TFC ?

your statement made it seem it was a done deal with certainty. Tfc is 1 team in the mls as per you quoting a rumour. By all means please provide where all us fans can read this rumour your bring up to tfc.
    Personal attack because you were called out?! You only show your true character.

https://talksport.com/football/39712...as-cahill/amp/

"If Conte stays then surely he will be sold, though"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this clown needs a ban.
    I took it as a joke. In the past, there have been rumours that every player who is mooted to becoming to MLS will come to TFC, therefore the moment there is a Fabregas rumour he MUST BE (sarcastically) coming to TFC. Or maybe he was serious, but I didn't take it that way. see how you might have though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this clown needs a ban.
    Ban? I was about to strap on my rollerblades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is funny

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deadline is Wednesday for deals - 48 hours if something is going to happen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I took it as a joke. In the past, there have been rumours that every player who is mooted to becoming to MLS will come to TFC, therefore the moment there is a Fabregas rumour he MUST BE (sarcastically) coming to TFC. Or maybe he was serious, but I didn't take it that way. see how you might have though.

Thank you for the insight and apologies to shwade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

......+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the insight and apologies to shwade.

Dont worry, it’s good you are on the Boards. Some of us are just familiar with Schwades’ unsual sense of humour ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont worry, it’s good you are on the Boards. Some of us are just familiar with Schwades’ unsual sense of humour ...
    I am learning
    Thank you
    Last edited by FootBallAZ; 08-07-2018 at 12:22 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As is the moderator team.

We do take care of real trolling.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto