Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536 LastLast
Results 961 to 990 of 1052
  1. #961
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,117
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I do absolutely think a rift between Jozy and management may have emerged after Jozy got that red early in that NYCFC game in August.

    Jozy got called out publicly by Vanney postgame for that, and only a few days later there were stories about how there is interest in Altidore from Serie A or elsewhere in Europe.

    If something is happening, it first surfaced there/then.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  2. #962
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd put money on Janson taking Jozy's DP spot next year. It makes too much long-term sense not to.

  3. #963
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I do absolutely think a rift between Jozy and management may have emerged after Jozy got that red early in that NYCFC game in August.

    Jozy got called out publicly by Vanney postgame for that, and only a few days later there were stories about how there is interest in Altidore from Serie A or elsewhere in Europe.

    If something is happening, it first surfaced there/then.
    I really don't think that Jozy is the leader/happy go-lucky/wholesome character off the pitch that some may think.

  4. #964
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    10,114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Jason has been excellent IMO except with respect to the one metric that matters the most for strikers. Unfortunate, but is what it is. Agreed if it’s a Ricketts replacement on very low TAM or less it works... otherwise best to move on.

  5. #965
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Georgetown
    Posts
    1,823
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I haven't seen enough from Janson to get that DP slot. I think we can do better honestly, like above, if we can afford him under the cap and afford to pay the $3.7? was it million for his fee then sure.

    Otherwise, I say keep searching
    Goalie Coach for Georgetown SC. Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)

  6. #966
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane
    Posts
    968
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I do absolutely think a rift between Jozy and management may have emerged after Jozy got that red early in that NYCFC game in August.

    Jozy got called out publicly by Vanney postgame for that, and only a few days later there were stories about how there is interest in Altidore from Serie A or elsewhere in Europe.

    If something is happening, it first surfaced there/then.

    i also think there was some tidbit tied to his strong views/support of Inebriatti.....

  7. #967
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Doesn't Jozy have a full year left on his deal? I think it's fair to say we are going to eat some of that salary. No way someone pays him with his kind injury history.

  8. #968
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    5,960
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Doesn't Jozy have a full year left on his deal? I think it's fair to say we are going to eat some of that salary. No way someone pays him with his kind injury history.
    Yes Altidore has a year left on his deal (as do Bradley & Giovinoco), but that's when clubs, agents etc. often start negotiating. (Giovinco & his agent already wanted to start negotiating a few months ago.) TFC likely wants to make changes, and knows they have to give up something to get something. True, Altidore's salary is high. But he's also been quite successful, and there are clubs around the world who would love a striker like that. (Note that most clubs can afford to rotate players more than we can in MLS.) For Altidore: he's turning 29 in a few days, he knows he's had some troubles, and he may be very interested in a longer deal at a lower salary (3 or 4 years). For TFC: they likely aren't looking for a transfer fee here, but may be trying to clear cap space & a DP spot w/o eating salary. (Either for a new DP; or to get ready for a possible 2-DP / higher allocation-money world in MLS.)

    All the other stuff -- rifts, Inebriatti support -- is total speculation. Altidore has done lots for the club over a couple of years. Strikers are often mercurial. It will be a business decision, and all the other factors above & more will play into it.

  9. #969
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ossington Ave
    Posts
    8,268
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    We've got a RB on TAM already. To have two would be a luxury. Would be much more valuable to put such resources towards a more impactful position like striker which Bez has identified as an area of serious depth deficiency.

    With regard to moving pieces, what TAM guy do you really want to value below Auro because I can assure we are right to the ceiling on our TAM spending, meaning we can't turf a guy on 150k to bring in another TAM player (which is what moving Hasler was about). The only cases you can really make are that he's more worth it than VDW so we should turf VDW, or that VDW is our CB answer so we still need a first team quality RB.
    We are also limited for RB depth. VdW has been better at CB so tbh I wouldn't mind or care if he switched there as Im not convinced we will see Hagglund, Zavaleta or Hernandez stick around. Only issue with Auro has not been his playing its been his health. If he's moved out it's because of his price and how often he's been injured. Can see us going back for Raheem the dream despite how good he's been at Chicago, if that's the case VdW or Auro are likely gone. VdW hasn't been all that great at that position considering his price. I actually rate Auro more.

    Ricketts has got to go. Love him but he's a sprinter not a striker an expensive one at that. Janson and Seba up front is soso, too many little guys. Do like Janson and what he brings, may make sense to keep him as I don't see this team remaining the same next season, pieces will be moved and rightfully so. Alot of gambles looked good on paper and didn't work out. Bez has got to work over time this off season.

  10. #970
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    113
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How about this striker to replace Tosaint Ricketts as a super sub? He's pretty fast and scored twice last night in Australia (the first goal was pretty decent).

    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...nal-footballer

  11. #971
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Georgetown
    Posts
    1,823
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pfk View Post
    How about this striker to replace Tosaint Ricketts as a super sub? He's pretty fast and scored twice last night in Australia (the first goal was pretty decent).

    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...nal-footballer
    That 2nd goal though......yikes
    Goalie Coach for Georgetown SC. Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)

  12. #972
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    6,442
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    We are also limited for RB depth. VdW has been better at CB so tbh I wouldn't mind or care if he switched there as Im not convinced we will see Hagglund, Zavaleta or Hernandez stick around. Only issue with Auro has not been his playing its been his health. If he's moved out it's because of his price and how often he's been injured. Can see us going back for Raheem the dream despite how good he's been at Chicago, if that's the case VdW or Auro are likely gone. VdW hasn't been all that great at that position considering his price. I actually rate Auro more.

    Ricketts has got to go. Love him but he's a sprinter not a striker an expensive one at that. Janson and Seba up front is soso, too many little guys. Do like Janson and what he brings, may make sense to keep him as I don't see this team remaining the same next season, pieces will be moved and rightfully so. Alot of gambles looked good on paper and didn't work out. Bez has got to work over time this off season.

    The backline needs a lot of TLC

    The only downside of Auro is his health, but as this season has shown, that is something we can't deal with next year. He needs to get fit, fast.

    I do see GvW sticking around though. Lets not forget when we played the 3-5-2, we never really had a stable 3rd CB. We rotated between a few guys. GvW, IMO, is that 3rd CB.

    Drew Moor replacement is a must. Love the guy, I think he's critical to TFC success, but need a younger version of him. That is all

    Get rid of Zavaleta and Hernandez and get another bench CB. I'd add Hagglund to this list, but finding two somewhat competent bench CB on the cheap is going to be impossible. In the very least, get rid of Zavaleta. Too many critical mistakes per game.

  13. #973
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,117
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Before we go and break everything, this was one of the great teams in MLS history a few months ago. They maybe still are.

    Sometimes the hardest thing of all is to do nothing. I wouldn’t make many changes.

    If Altidore leaves, that is a lot of change there. We'll need an elite striker.

    Probably need to move on from one of Hagglund or Zavaleta (I'd keep Hagglund) but other than that, I'd only tinker. I’d keep the band together and, frankly, there are depth guys that we might be able to re-acquire (eg Hasler, maybe Edwards).
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  14. #974
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ossington Ave
    Posts
    8,268
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    The backline needs a lot of TLC

    The only downside of Auro is his health, but as this season has shown, that is something we can't deal with next year. He needs to get fit, fast.

    I do see GvW sticking around though. Lets not forget when we played the 3-5-2, we never really had a stable 3rd CB. We rotated between a few guys. GvW, IMO, is that 3rd CB.

    Drew Moor replacement is a must. Love the guy, I think he's critical to TFC success, but need a younger version of him. That is all

    Get rid of Zavaleta and Hernandez and get another bench CB. I'd add Hagglund to this list, but finding two somewhat competent bench CB on the cheap is going to be impossible. In the very least, get rid of Zavaleta. Too many critical mistakes per game.
    Inclined to agree with this

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Before we go and break everything, this was one of the great teams in MLS history a few months ago. They maybe still are.

    Sometimes the hardest thing of all is to do nothing. I wouldn’t make many changes.

    If Altidore leaves, that is a lot of change there. We'll need an elite striker.

    Probably need to move on from one of Hagglund or Zavaleta (I'd keep Hagglund) but other than that, I'd only tinker. I’d keep the band together and, frankly, there are depth guys that we might be able to re-acquire (eg Hasler, maybe Edwards).
    And this

  15. #975
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Before we go and break everything, this was one of the great teams in MLS history a few months ago. They maybe still are.

    Sometimes the hardest thing of all is to do nothing. I wouldn’t make many changes.

    If Altidore leaves, that is a lot of change there. We'll need an elite striker.

    Probably need to move on from one of Hagglund or Zavaleta (I'd keep Hagglund) but other than that, I'd only tinker. I’d keep the band together and, frankly, there are depth guys that we might be able to re-acquire (eg Hasler, maybe Edwards).
    I have to disagree when it comes to doing nothing (or close to it). This best team in the league from 2017 is not going to be the best team in 2019. It'd be a big gamble to keep this group together the way it is.

  16. #976
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Before we go and break everything, this was one of the great teams in MLS history a few months ago. They maybe still are.

    Sometimes the hardest thing of all is to do nothing. I wouldn’t make many changes.

    If Altidore leaves, that is a lot of change there. We'll need an elite striker.

    Probably need to move on from one of Hagglund or Zavaleta (I'd keep Hagglund) but other than that, I'd only tinker. I’d keep the band together and, frankly, there are depth guys that we might be able to re-acquire (eg Hasler, maybe Edwards).
    The 2017 team was The Great team of MLS but that team didn't exist in 2018, I think it would be a mistake to hold onto the 2018 team in the hope that it transforms itself back into the 2017 squad cause it simply can't happen, age and salary cap took care of that. We need at least one starting CB, an attacking mid, and a quality backup attacker up front. Change is needed

    i was recently looking at stats from 2017 and they are mind boggling. Zavs -who didn't look MLS quality this year-started 27 games, Oso was a bench player for the first time in his TFC career and started less than 10 games. That was the treble winning side but no one wants us to revert back to that.

    2017 back line was Morrow Mavinga Moor Zavs Beitashour/niko 2018 it was shambles. We can hope Morrow and Moor return to 2017 form but aging isn't kind. Mavinga if he stays healthy is the best in MLS. Zavs without Moor was lost. GVW has talent but has yet to settle in. Auro doesn't exactly inspire confidence defensively. Fixing the back line will need more than a tinker, there are just too many question marks.

    In midfield we need to find a quality backup for VV but we likely don't have the cap space. Oso's contract scares the crap out of me. He had a great year but is he really a TAM player? Will he progress or regress. Will his personal success translate into team success.

    If Jozy is here or not, it would be a folly to count on him being healthy

  17. #977
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    3,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So this fella...http://www.dodici.com.ar/en/jugador/...amos-mingo/953.... has been hanging out with Janson and Auro this weekend per their instagrams. I'm guessing he might be training with the team to get a look at him ahead of the new season.

    Youtube highlights from Bocas reserves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nHbOsp3G6A
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 10-14-2018 at 03:20 PM.

  18. #978
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    13,091
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    6 foot 2

  19. #979
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/...nto-fc-one-day

    Would absolutely love to have this guy. Would be a great fill in for Altidore without spending DP money.

  20. #980
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/...nto-fc-one-day

    Would absolutely love to have this guy. Would be a great fill in for Altidore without spending DP money.
    He would be at least TAM money. Beside that Altidore needs to be moved. Can't have a DP that that is either injured or not able to play 90

  21. #981
    RPB Member Past President
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dichio Country
    Posts
    12,123
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    He would be at least TAM money. Beside that Altidore needs to be moved. Can't have a DP that that is either injured or not able to play 90
    Jozy scores 0.64 goals per 90 minutes, the same scoring rate per 90 as Giovinco (although Giovinco's assist numbers are much higher at 0.48 vs. 0.17). That's pretty tough to replace. He does miss a lot of games, but he carried us to the Cup final twice. Prior to this season, in which Giovinco made 26 league appearances to Altidore's 13, they were very similar in the number of appearances the previous two seasons (Giovinco 53, Altidore 50). Altidore had a tough season this year with injuries (and dumb suspensions when healthy), but he's really, really good when he's playing, even if he doesn't always go 90.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

  22. #982
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,117
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Stats don’t tell the story. Jozy is in a very small group with Dero (San Jose/Houston version) and Donovan and maybe Keane, as maybe the greatest clutch striker in MLS history.

    He cannot be replaced.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  23. #983
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    6,442
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Stats don’t tell the story. Jozy is in a very small group with Dero (San Jose/Houston version) and Donovan and maybe Keane, as maybe the greatest clutch striker in MLS history.

    He cannot be replaced.
    The goals he scores are goals that most players are not able to finish. His power and strength combined with the drive he has are impossible to replicate. His next contract will need to be smaller. I hope he understands that, however, MLSE need to realize what he brings to the table on and off the field and how both of those things were key factors to TFC success these past few seasons.

  24. #984
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    6,442
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I'd put money on Janson taking Jozy's DP spot next year. It makes too much long-term sense not to.
    Janson for DP? jesus that would be right up there with Mista as DP. What a joke of an idea

  25. #985
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    6,442
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/...nto-fc-one-day

    Would absolutely love to have this guy. Would be a great fill in for Altidore without spending DP money.
    You're kidding right?

  26. #986
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Stats don’t tell the story. Jozy is in a very small group with Dero (San Jose/Houston version) and Donovan and maybe Keane, as maybe the greatest clutch striker in MLS history.

    He cannot be replaced.
    Totally agree Ensco. MLSE better not get too cute on funding the team. I would resign Altidore and Giovinco and let Bradley walk. He has lost a step big time.

  27. #987
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    You're kidding right?
    Have you watched a second of Cavallini play?
    He has just under a goal every other game in a league that is better then the MLS, for a bottom of the table club. He does so much work off the ball as well. Guy is an animal. Not saying he is better then Jozy, but if we can get him as a TAM player, and get a DP somewhere else, I’d definitely consider it. Plus he’s 25, and isn’t injury prone like Jozy.

  28. #988
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    10,114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    You're kidding right?
    He’d be a legit 3rd option. Not starter for this team IMO. He scores with regularity in Mexico for so-so teams and provides solid holdup play. Nothing to sneeze at.

  29. #989
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Janson for DP? jesus that would be right up there with Mista as DP. What a joke of an idea
    I'm not saying it's a good idea. But I am saying that it's going to happen.

  30. #990
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Have you watched a second of Cavallini play?
    He has just under a goal every other game in a league that is better then the MLS, for a bottom of the table club. He does so much work off the ball as well. Guy is an animal. Not saying he is better then Jozy, but if we can get him as a TAM player, and get a DP somewhere else, I’d definitely consider it. Plus he’s 25, and isn’t injury prone like Jozy.
    Cavallini would be such a good Jozy replacement holy shit if we got him on TAM I would freak, I honestly rate him higher than Larin

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •