Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Edwards needs to get back to playing as a wide midfielder / fullback. Despite scoring today, he’s just not quite potent enough up front.

Out wide his crossing and cut backs are fantastic. He can learn the defensive side a little better but it’s a workable problem. And if he does that it provides opportunities with Canada and in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^Suspect they needed Hasler's salary cap space as part of Janson move.

I would not be surprised to see both Hasler and Edwards back next year.
    How so?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^There are a lot of revolving door situations in MLS. I think they can both be reacquainted cheap
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Molinaro tweeted the same thing. Said Jozy sounds like he's gone.

*sniff*
    The way Jozy said it makes me think he'll be traded. Players always have a say in whether or not they're transferred because they have to sign a contract with their new club I.e. no agreement between player and new club means no transfer. The only way Jozy doesn't have a say is if he's traded to a club that a no-movement clause doesn't protect. This all is obviously aside from the idea that Jozy may have spoken to leadership already and said that he'll do as they wish.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that he knows where he is going but he could as easily be sold as traded.

I think he’s going to Mexico.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    and ideally, it's a guy who is on TAM salary but is only a DP because of a transfer fee (meaning we can go get another DP the next season like Atlanta).

Edit: Reading this back I'm basically describing Janson
    I wonder if they'll try a new loophole, kind of like with Janson this year. We acquired Janson on a loan with option to buy. Assuming we keep him, he would be a one year DP due to transfer fee. Meaning 3 DPs next year would be Bradley, Seba, Janson (Assuming Jozy goes), they could then do the same thing and acquire another player on the same loan with option to buy to acquire another TAM/DP and delay the fee one season. Problem is you're not really getting 3 DPs in this scenario but 2 DPs (Bradley/Seba) and 2 TAMs (Janson/TBA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I wonder if they'll try a new loophole, kind of like with Janson this year. We acquired Janson on a loan with option to buy. Assuming we keep him, he would be a one year DP due to transfer fee. Meaning 3 DPs next year would be Bradley, Seba, Janson (Assuming Jozy goes), they could then do the same thing and acquire another player on the same loan with option to buy to acquire another TAM/DP and delay the fee one season. Problem is you're not really getting 3 DPs in this scenario but 2 DPs (Bradley/Seba) and 2 TAMs (Janson/TBA)
    From the talk Manning and Bez gave on Saturday they are going to try and negotiate the fee down so.

The link to the audio is in the other thread
    Three decent takes from a roster POV

Oso salary is 750-800k
    Manning mentioned the $3MM youth fund - so i'd keep an eye out for a young south american this offseason
    Negotiation Jansons option down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO TFC has been getting smaller while the MLS has been getting bigger. I am not sold on Janson at all and would be most unhappy if moving Jozy was done with keeping Janson in mind.
    I would love to see TFC gain a more physical striker, along the lines of a Gyasi Zardes?, and think that Jozy would benefit from such a pairing.
    I am also of the opinion that IF TFC has to sell a designated player then Giovinco is the one to sell. Higher value, two years older than Jozy (and it fits my TFC lacks size narrative).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Janson is the replacement for Jozy we are in big trouble. I'm concerned that we have a very real possibility to regress back to normal TFC. The 3 signings of Van der Viel, Auro, and Akatexte really didn't work out for the amounts that we laid out on them. They should have significantly strengthened us on the back of an MLS Cup win. I'm worried about the fan base - we could be looking at 10-15k for most games if we go back to being an average MLS team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Jozy is gone because he is worth something right now - he can get a nice enough contract still if he goes now & we can get something too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All three DP's are in the final year of their contracts (I think?) So either they sign extensions or need to be traded. I'd be Ok if we can re-sign Bradley and Gio. I personally won't be surprised if the call up to Italy is part of a "time to go home" play.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almeyda, the Chivas manager in the CCL final, is the new jefe at SJE.

Just to stir the pot, would Almeyda have come if SJE weren’t going to become spenders?

Wondo is 35 and out of contract.

And oh, btw, Jozy liked the tweet. It's his only like or tweet the last few days

https://twitter.com/sjearthquakes/st...701369345?s=21

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almeyda, the Chivas manager in the CCL final, is the new jefe at SJE.

Just to stir the pot, would Almeyda have come if SJE weren’t going to become spenders?

Wondo is 35 and out of contract.

And oh, btw, Jozy liked the tweet. It's his only like or tweet the last few days

https://twitter.com/sjearthquakes/st...701369345?s=21
    Interesting thought on San Jose. Almeyda going from a team that'll splash out 15m on a transfer at Chivas to a team that doesn't even have 3 DP's (and the 2nd one could be on TAM really).

Doesn't add up at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    IMHO TFC has been getting smaller while the MLS has been getting bigger. I am not sold on Janson at all and would be most unhappy if moving Jozy was done with keeping Janson in mind.
    I would love to see TFC gain a more physical striker, along the lines of a Gyasi Zardes?, and think that Jozy would benefit from such a pairing.
    I am also of the opinion that IF TFC has to sell a designated player then Giovinco is the one to sell. Higher value, two years older than Jozy (and it fits my TFC lacks size narrative).
    TFC is acquiring more technical players rather than go for strength and size. The type of players that are all three are in Europe. We will get bullied on set pieces, but we also have to be able to build better from the back and play possessive football like Barcelona can do. That requires chemistry and good ball playing center backs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy to SJE would be so sad. And I can't see him fitting in with the likely "press everything within an inch of its life" approach.

But if we are going to go down that route, what assets apart from Garber $ do they have that we might be interested in? I don't see anybody on that roster worth having.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Jozy to SJE would be so sad. And I can't see him fitting in with the likely "press everything within an inch of its life" approach.

But if we are going to go down that route, what assets apart from Garber $ do they have that we might be interested in? I don't see anybody on that roster worth having.
    I can't see SJE paying Jozy the cash we do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    I can't see SJE paying Jozy the cash we do
    No one will. His next contract will be a pay cut obviously.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure he won't get his current contract in any new deal....but Jozy would walk into every team in this league and start.

Positive locker room guy, not an int, bangs in goals, CONCACAF aware of the dark arts, good natured with the media and fans, experienced at working with other forwards to create a team, can speak Spanish, relatively young.

He's worth something to somebody - I think its back to Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure he won't get his current contract in any new deal....but Jozy would walk into every team in this league and start.

Positive locker room guy, not an int, bangs in goals, CONCACAF aware of the dark arts, good natured with the media and fans, experienced at working with other forwards to create a team, can speak Spanish, relatively young.

He's worth something to somebody - I think its back to Europe.
    he is worth something to us. A lot. Him and Janson could do damage. Why can't we have our nice things?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    he is worth something to us. A lot. Him and Janson could do damage. Why can't we have our nice things?
    Because like most nice things he's fragile

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    The 3 signings of Van der Viel, Auro, and Akatexte really didn't work out for the amounts that we laid out on them..
    Auro has been fantastic. Just injured alot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Auro has been fantastic. Just injured alot.
    And doubt we buy him given the FO's perspective on our depth at CB and striker

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be sad. But he'd be an excellent guy to do a restart around. Purely from a marketing POV. He's got tons of personality.

I don’t think anything would come back (they might dress it up, but nothing real). They'd pay him $5M for next year, which is overpaying, and maybe extend him for 2 more at, say, $3M a year. I'm guessing that last bit, the extension, is why he might know about this already.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's a done deal yet, but Jozy thinks it's highly probable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I don't think it's a done deal yet, but Jozy thinks it's highly probable.
    Yeah seems right.

I'd be more than fine if he went to America or something, but Jozy in San Jose? Yuck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    And doubt we buy him given the FO's perspective on our depth at CB and striker
    Not sure I understand. Plenty of pieces that can be moved around. Not sure we'd give up our better right back when we've barely got depth there too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know why we would want to keep Janson, nothing more than a replacement for Ricketts.

If we have Janson as a regular, especially Janson + Gio as the up top combo, we might already need to start the "The Season Could Very Well Be Over Already" thread for 2019.

I just dont believe in Janson. He's given us his sample size, and I dont think that equals championships. I think there's way too many other players on the planet that are itching at an opportunity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

San Jose... San Jozy... It all makes sense now.

A bit like the VeLA and zLAtan stuff we saw earlier this year. Jozy to the earthquakes CONFIRMED

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^As the guy who started this, to be clear, the Jozy to SJE idea is something I manufactured out of whole cloth, based on some random and not necessarily related points.

For all I know it's true, but buyer beware, your mileage may vary!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Not sure I understand. Plenty of pieces that can be moved around. Not sure we'd give up our better right back when we've barely got depth there too
    We've got a RB on TAM already. To have two would be a luxury. Would be much more valuable to put such resources towards a more impactful position like striker which Bez has identified as an area of serious depth deficiency.

With regard to moving pieces, what TAM guy do you really want to value below Auro because I can assure we are right to the ceiling on our TAM spending, meaning we can't turf a guy on 150k to bring in another TAM player (which is what moving Hasler was about). The only cases you can really make are that he's more worth it than VDW so we should turf VDW, or that VDW is our CB answer so we still need a first team quality RB.
    Last edited by portu; 10-09-2018 at 10:30 AM.