Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This Tigres signing... I have a bad feeling Altidore is going.

Total wildass speculation.

One thing is for sure, a hell of a lot more is going on than meets the eye.
    It might be VV. His injuries could well be more serious than publicly known - it hurts just to watch him run this year. You could see Gio playing a little more withdrawn to replace VV and a small fast forward ahead of him with Altidore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I wonder if this signing means that Oso might go sooner than later. On the broadcast last night they mentioned that Oso's agent said they are working hard to get a deal done with TFC but he has received a couple of large offers from outside the league.

We really need another CB. With Mavinga in and out of the line up it is clear that we are not the same team without him. We need another reliable CB. That needs to be a priority.
    Might be. And if it’s a good league, he should take the chance. Although he could be The Man here as VV and Bradley age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wonder if there are any canadian or american C B free agents...i think that is the only move we can make now..is that true?

RPB Member
    Away Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    wonder if there are any canadian or american C B free agents...i think that is the only move we can make now..is that true?
    Yeah, can only sign free agents now. I believe until the middle of September or something like that.
    Away trips: 2014 - Seattle. 2015 - Montreal. 2016 - Montreal x2. Playoffs - NYCFC, Montreal. 2017 - Salt Lake, Philly, Ottawa, Montreal, Chicago, LA, Atlanta. ​Playoffs - NYRB, Columbus. 2018 ​- Monterrey, MX (Tigres) CCL, Montreal, Ottawa, Montreal. 2019 - ​Philly, Montreal, Seattle (MLS Cup final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel we didn't use TAM and GAM properly and to its best use

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tigre have confrimed the financial details of Jansons move. 300k loan fee (that explains the TAM)and a 3.7M purchase option.

https://twitter.com/catigreoficial/status/1027558617829068802
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 08-09-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Tigre have confrimed the financial details of Jansons move. 300k loan fee (that explains the TAM)and a 3.7M purchase option.

https://twitter.com/catigreoficial/status/1027558617829068802
    That’s a massive purchase option. I wonder how they afford that under the cap without moving VV or a DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess we will worry about that in 6 months

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$3.7M!?!?!?!?!?!?!

some new money coming into the league next year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how did David Edgar do when he was with the Whitecaps? I've liked him as a CMNT but maybe he's too slow now? Anyway, I guess it's moot because he's gone to the Fury now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    That’s a massive purchase option. I wonder how they afford that under the cap without moving VV or a DP.
    Well, transfer fees are amortized over the length of the deal if I believe. Say we sign him to a 5 year deal at $1 million per year, that works out to $1.74 million per year ($3.7M/5 + $1M).
    Aketxe was on a $1.3 million per season (free transfer). I believe some of Aketxe's salary is still on our books (Cadiz didn't take on his full salary), but if we can manage to get rid of him this offseason, then Jansen could likely fit into our current TAM, by simply replacing Aketxe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This Tigres signing... I have a bad feeling Altidore is going.

Total wildass speculation.

One thing is for sure, a hell of a lot more is going on than meets the eye.
    Worth noting this isn't "Tigres" of Mexico, who were rumoured to be in for Altidore; rather, Jansen's been signed from "Tigre," of Argentina.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Well, transfer fees are amortized over the length of the deal if I believe. Say we sign him to a 5 year deal at $1 million per year, that works out to $1.74 million per year ($3.7M/5 + $1M).
    Aketxe was on a $1.3 million per season (free transfer). I believe some of Aketxe's salary is still on our books (Cadiz didn't take on his full salary), but if we can manage to get rid of him this offseason, then Jansen could likely fit into our current TAM, by simply replacing Aketxe.
    That's what I've heard as well but I've read somewhere that transfer fees are on the budget for 1 season only too. MLS man...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    That's what I've heard as well but I've read somewhere that transfer fees are on the budget for 1 season only too. MLS man...
    If the transfer fee is paid in full up front it's on the books for the first year.

If the transfer fee is in installments whatever the installment that year hits the budget.

Bez confrimed this to Olli Platt in January iirc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the transfer fee is paid in full up front it's on the books for the first year.

If the transfer fee is in installments whatever the installment that year hits the budget.

Makes sense now thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that throws my idea out the window. Thanks.

Interesting is what Atlanta has done to play around with the rules and switch players from DP to TAM by absorbing transfer fees in one year. Unfortunately with 3 high salary DPs, we're not in a position to do this unless we get rid of one
    * Barco's salary was an estimate when this was written (MLSPA lists it at $1.4 million now)

That’s where the value of an open DP slot still lies: the ability to pay the going rate for a high-level player. There are bargains to be found, as Toronto have shown with Victor Vazquez, but the premium, up-and-coming South American talent — a big market for MLS clubs — is going to cost you.
    Atlanta United have signed multiple players with high transfer fees but moderate salaries, enabling them to take those players out of DP status in year two of their contracts. Ezequiel Barco’s salary has not been made public and is a guess for illustrative purposes.What TAM has allowed clubs to do is to pay those kinds of fees more often. Take Atlanta United’s recent business, for example: last year, they paid a multi-million dollar fee to sign Hector 'Tito' Villalba. Once that fee had been soaked up in his cap charge in year one, the new charge — his $770,750 salary alone — came into the TAM-eligible range. The DP spot he vacated was then used on $15 million signing Ezequiel Barco.
    Not every club will follow that exact model, but it serves as one example of where MLS is going.
    And that’s why Toronto — major changes to league rules notwithstanding — are going to find themselves in a tough spot.
    https://tfcreport.com/2018/05/02/seb...ct-toronto-fc/
    Last edited by rydermike; 08-09-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basically instead of using a DP slot to get a DP calibre player, they're getting a TAM calibre player that requires a transfer fee.

How many TAM calibre players are there going to be that *don't* require a significant transfer fee?

I guess my feeling is, if you're going to pay the DP level money, get the DP level player. That ruleset, at least, is stable. The TAM/GAM regime seems to be too fluid to base a strategy on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They will have to scrap TAM and GAM eventually. Make it 4/5 DP’s, and salary cap. It’s more transparent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh... should we be in on Kevin Ellis here? He was just waived by Chicago.

https://www.chicago-fire.com/post/20...er-tony-tchani

Bizarre move because he's been starting for Chicago, he has 19 appearances this season, and they already had roster slots open, so it's not like they needed space to add someone.

He's no world beater but he's relatively cheap (158k) and would help our defensive depth for sure. He could be the backup to Auro on the right side, freeing up Van der Wiel to maintain a RCB role in the back 3 even when Auro is out. And Auro might just have picked up another injury. Ellis has played a bit of CB as well.

edit: Waiver order is determined by PPG, so San Jose, Colorado, D.C. and Orlando would be ahead of us.
    Last edited by notthesun; 08-09-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was just about to say we should pick up Ellis if we can. Versatile and talented defender while he was at SKC.

No one is gonna look good in the Chicago defence, so I'd read less into his form there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With hindsight, our biggest mistake in terms of the roster for this season was our CB situation.

Often winning teams fall in love with their guys. It's a classic mistake that leads to top teams falling off quickly; management believes every guy is special, when in most cases it's the sum of the parts that's more important.

Bez and Vanney did this with Hagglund and Zavaleta. I think they thought they had two near-starter quality guys that could handle a bigger workload going forward. And they were both good last year, no doubt. But for 90% of their starts last season they were shielded in a 3 CB setup, with Moor and Mavinga directing the show. And they're well-suited to handle that still. But having them lead the line together as they've done for most of this season, it's just beyond them.

We should've realized they wouldn't be up to it, and knowing that, should have brought in another CB to cover for Moor, who's aging and injury-prone. So it's a second mistake compounding the damage. If we'd had another starter-quality CB, when Moor went out it still could've been two veterans in the back 3 to help Hagglund or Zavaleta along (never mind Mavinga's injury problems, which were less expected). We're a year too late on replacing (or covering for) Moor.

The good news is we fell in love with depth guys, so the contracts aren't too damaging. Should be able to be corrected without much trouble in the off-season. #1 on the shopping list no doubt is a CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    With hindsight, our biggest mistake in terms of the roster for this season was our CB situation.

Often winning teams fall in love with their guys. It's a classic mistake that leads to top teams falling off quickly; management believes every guy is special, when in most cases it's the sum of the parts that's more important.

Bez and Vanney did this with Hagglund and Zavaleta. I think they thought they had two near-starter quality guys that could handle a bigger workload going forward. And they were both good last year, no doubt. But for 90% of their starts last season they were shielded in a 3 CB setup, with Moor and Mavinga directing the show. And they're well-suited to handle that still. But having them lead the line together as they've done for most of this season, it's just beyond them.

We should've realized they wouldn't be up to it, and knowing that, should have brought in another CB to cover for Moor, who's aging and injury-prone. So it's a second mistake compounding the damage. If we'd had another starter-quality CB, when Moor went out it still could've been two veterans in the back 3 to help Hagglund or Zavaleta along (never mind Mavinga's injury problems, which were less expected). We're a year too late on replacing (or covering for) Moor.

The good news is we fell in love with depth guys, so the contracts aren't too damaging. Should be able to be corrected without much trouble in the off-season. #1 on the shopping list no doubt is a CB.
    The CB depth has been an obvious need since March, so Bez signed Hernandez (no help) then traded and signed attackers. Its crazy, Hagglund and Zaveleta have proved they are at best depth yet they are starting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never plays Hernandez, like Hamilton, is effective when he plays but never plays

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hernandez is too slow to handle the pace of a lot of MLS forwards now and doesn't have the game awareness of Mavinga or Moor to direct Hagglund and Zavs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Hernandez is too slow to handle the pace of a lot of MLS forwards now and doesn't have the game awareness of Mavinga or Moor to direct Hagglund and Zavs.
    very few players like Mavinga or Moor, wouldnt expect him to direct them, would expect to start over Zav or Hagglund which he hasnt. Also would expect him to start over Bradley, which he didnt.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    That is great to see.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if he get's in the lineup.

---Giovinco-Altidore
    Janson-Vazquez-Osorio
    -------Bradley----------
    Morrow-Moor-Zav-VDW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    I wonder if he get's in the lineup.

---Giovinco-Altidore
    Janson-Vazquez-Osorio
    -------Bradley----------
    Morrow-Moor-Zav-VDW
    defense is really lacking there. i see him more as a sub to start

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I doubt a guy who just arrived gets a start in the Cup final.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy