Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    All this talk about DSG and cold and snow is giving me flashbacks to the crazy snowmaggedon WC qualifier between US and Costa Rica March 22, 2013. I've never seen anything like that, before or since. The game paused at around 60' to consider whether or not to suspend play due to the blizzard. It went on, defying all logic. I guess that is why despite the cold I doubt Concacaf postpones the match.
    Atlanta vs Minnesota last year was a shitshow too. Fun game though.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to my weather app there should be no snow in Commerce City, Colorado today so no reason not to have a green field tonight. Temps at game time are est at -10. No need for the orange ball. (I was kind of looking forward to that.)

Was it around -8 at the MLS cup last year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    According to Larson (who is there for those who think the journos never do anything), Colorado only sold 1K of tickets for this match.
    Probably a handful of those are TFC fans who decided to make the trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The playing conditions really make u think if it’s worth throwing out players like seba and jozy for the full 90

Also can’t they make an exception so these guys can wear toques on the pitch the frostbite is going to be unreal

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    The playing conditions really make u think if it’s worth throwing out players like seba and jozy for the full 90

Also can’t they make an exception so these guys can wear toques on the pitch the frostbite is going to be unreal
    Headgear is only allowed by the Rules of the Game in the case of injury (e.g. concussion).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Headgear is only allowed by the Rules of the Game in the case of injury (e.g. concussion).
    They really should make exceptions in this kind of weather. Players are going to lose a lot of heat out the head. It's dangerous. Even a headband that wraps around the ears would help. Didn't Carlos Tevez used to wear one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    They really should make exceptions in this kind of weather. Players are going to lose a lot of heat out the head. It's dangerous. Even a headband that wraps around the ears would help. Didn't Carlos Tevez used to wear one?
    Headband is a good idea that’s gotta be allowed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beckham, many others have worn hair bands. Not too complicated to address, but then again, this is CONCACAF. Games never should have been at night in the first place in February in these locations. If there was any history of corruption in that organization you’d think it was done on purpose to maximize the chance of injury for key players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Beckham, many others have worn hair bands. Not too complicated to address, but then again, this is CONCACAF. Games never should have been at night in the first place in February in these locations. If there was any history of corruption in that organization you’d think it was done on purpose to maximize the chance of injury for key players.
    CCL knockout rounds always started late Feb IIRC. Most teams don't play in freezing weather cities. And was not an issue for some teams that can find indoor alternate stadiums (IE CCL game vs LA at Skydome 5 yrs ago)

As much as we love to bitch about CONCACAF, I don't think they have much of a choice in this matter, if you take into consideration domestic league and cup scheduling, summer int tourneys, etc. Calendar is already full as it is.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    According to my weather app there should be no snow in Commerce City, Colorado today so no reason not to have a green field tonight. Temps at game time are est at -10. No need for the orange ball. (I was kind of looking forward to that.)

If memory serves 2017 was warmer, like -1. 2016 was colder I think -4. Tonight will feel a lot worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    If memory serves 2017 was warmer, like -1. 2016 was colder I think -4. Tonight will feel a lot worse.
    2016 surely must have been colder than -4 before windchill. I remember my hands being frozen through two pairs of gloves and shaking in my boots for hours (granted, anxiety might have played a role in that). Regardless, safety measures have to be implemented for the players in temperatures anywhere close to that. It almost takes away from the thrill of a new season ... almost.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    2016 surely must have been colder than -4 before windchill. I remember my hands being frozen through two pairs of gloves and shaking in my boots for hours (granted, anxiety might have played a role in that). Regardless, safety measures have to be implemented for the players in temperatures anywhere close to that. It almost takes away from the thrill of a new season ... almost.
    Hopefully Bradley puts some gloves and tights on, it was shorts and short sleeves for him in MLS Cups. Like a boss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Larson (who is there for those who think the journos never do anything), Colorado only sold 1K of tickets for this match.
    It might be a few more than this. It seems their SSH all got a free ticket for the game. Somewhere around 6700. Their supports are not expecting many of their SSH to actually go to the game though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This from the Wiki entry for the 2016 MLS Cup Final.

"The match kicked off at 8:16 p.m. Eastern Time at BMO Field in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, where the ground temperature was reported as −5 °C (23 °F) and estimated at −12 °C (10 °F) with wind chill"

It only got colder as the evening went on if I remember.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that field has frozen solid, it won't be green.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I always feel the worst for the keepers. They are not even running around and can only be covered up by so much. I think they would probably suffer the most on days like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we don't get the result we want tonight, everyone needs to chill (no pun intended)

These conditions are a massive neutralizer of talent, and increase the role of luck/chance.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KRO View Post

"The match kicked off at 8:16 p.m. Eastern Time at BMO Field in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, where the ground temperature was reported as −5 °C (23 °F) and estimated at −12 °C (10 °F) with wind chill"

My phone said -10 (no wind chill) shortly after the game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So this ground doesn't have undersoil heating.
    Apparently it does though ... https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/featu...ground-heating

No - much warmer. Looking at nearby weather stations. At 4 pm (kickoff) December 9, it was 0.6 degrees both downtown Toronto and at the island airport increasing to 0.7 or 0.8 depending which station. Very little wind.

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Yeah, about -4°C overall for 2016 MLS Cup - and a bit of a breeze.

Offhand, I can't think of anything at BMO close to what is forecast in Denver tonight - which is currently -11°C with a windchill of -15°C (which means not very windy!)

Quote Originally Posted by KRO View Post

Ah, the encyclopedia that anyone can edit. They source that to a European newspaper ...

The downtown Toronto and Toronto Island stations put it closer to -4°C than -5°C. But the windchill on the island was -11°C. It certainly FELT like it was getting colder - and I was very cold. But the data doesn't show it getting colder. Still, tonight looks colder than 2016 MLS Cup.
    Last edited by nfitz; 02-20-2018 at 02:58 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If we don't get the result we want tonight, everyone needs to chill (no pun intended)

These conditions are a massive neutralizer of talent, and increase the role of luck/chance.
    Actually all I want is no injuries. Will be super thrilled if we get out of it in good shape.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An away goal would be nice though.

Realistically, the snow evens out some things.

But the experience our team has playing together can't be discounted either. Guys know where players are likely to go - even if they don't get there, that positional awareness is gold in these sort of games.

And, to be honest, we are the better team at locking things down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An away goal would be nice though.

Realistically, the snow evens out some things.

But the experience our team has playing together can't be discounted either. Guys know where players are likely to go - even if they don't get there, that positional awareness is gold in these sort of g

And, to be honest, we are the better team at locking things down.
    Agreed 1-0 TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I always feel the worst for the keepers. They are not even running around and can only be covered up by so much. I think they would probably suffer the most on days like this.
    Agreed, plus diving on a frozen pitch isnt a pleasant feeling either .

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    “It's a massive game. It’s a game we want to win, but it’s also right in the middle of the second phase of our preseason preparation. We want to prepare the best we can, but we also can’t compromise our preseason. We have to make sure we are ready for New England.”

Quote from Colorado coach. Doesn't sound like he is putting too much into the CCL. Said in an interview it is great to play TFC in a "preseason game" to get ready for the MLS season. Say what?
    Even better. I expect the opposite attitude from our lads. I couldn't give a shit about the first match of the season. I mean stage one of the Trillium Cup.

Cannot wait for tonight!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    what! they cant cover their ears? thats frostbite within 10 minutes

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Time to put the whole team on concussion protocol. Petr Cech type helmets for everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

since 1000 tickets were purchased, wouldnt it have made sense for the rapids to just pay those tickets back, rent out an indoor field , prop up some cameras and minimize the losses?

wont even be worth their time to open up concessions and bathrooms

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

since 1000 tickets were purchased, wouldnt it have made sense for the rapids to just pay those tickets back, rent out an indoor field , prop up some cameras and minimize the losses?

wont even be worth their time to open up concessions and bathrooms
    This just makes too much sense.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about ear muffs or bands, hats and helmets are not allowed. Hopefully they can do something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    CCL knockout rounds always started late Feb IIRC. Most teams don't play in freezing weather cities. And was not an issue for some teams that can find indoor alternate stadiums (IE CCL game vs LA at Skydome 5 yrs ago)

As much as we love to bitch about CONCACAF, I don't think they have much of a choice in this matter, if you take into consideration domestic league and cup scheduling, summer int tourneys, etc. Calendar is already full as it is.
    Once it was Toronto v Denver in February they should have moved it to the afternoon. Preferably on the weekend, but certainly the afternoon. No reason they could not. And the chances of at least one of the games being dangerously cold were close to 100 per cent