User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 91
  1. #31
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    12,043
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is not directed at anybody in here.




    The whole "what is he doing caring about his modeling" thing is patriarchal bull shit.

    He will be in photoshoots with or without his wife and people will just have to get used to it.

    That's the life of a photogenic man married(?) to a woman who makes more money at her thing then he does at his. He shares that part of her life. Oh well.

    If he plays crap, those shoots have nothing to do with his play.

    As long as he works hard on and off the pitch, I don't care if he models or plays video games or helps his Mom with chores or does charity work. These are human beings - let em live for God's sake.

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nordrhein-Westfalen, GER
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Really want the CCL, and I hope he turns out to be an integral piece for us this year, in a way similar to how Vazquez was last.

  3. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This is not directed at anybody in here.




    The whole "what is he doing caring about his modeling" thing is patriarchal bull shit.

    He will be in photoshoots with or without his wife and people will just have to get used to it.

    That's the life of a photogenic man married(?) to a woman who makes more money at her thing then he does at his. He shares that part of her life. Oh well.

    If he plays crap, those shoots have nothing to do with his play.

    As long as he works hard on and off the pitch, I don't care if he models or plays video games or helps his Mom with chores or does charity work. These are human beings - let em live for God's sake.
    Fair enough, but I don't think anyone in his position would not be open to criticism if the side-activities or hobbies affect the on the field job.
    After all, these guys need to understand what it is that butters their bread....
    Exhibit A - Ricketts, Rohan.....

  4. #34
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    5,698
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    Fair enough, but I don't think anyone in his position would not be open to criticism if the side-activities or hobbies affect the on the field job.
    After all, these guys need to understand what it is that butters their bread....
    Exhibit A - Ricketts, Rohan.....
    How do you know that Ricketts' (or anybody's) side activities affect the job on the field? Maybe Ricketts was just a bit of a head case, and not a great player? Of course if they're drunk & getting arrested (Aceval / Soolsma / Silva in Houston), or arriving at the team hotel way after curfew (JDG), showing up late for practice, and more we've heard or seen over the years, that's one thing. Hopefully Vanney watches for & disciplines such things. But MLS players have plenty of free time to do modelling, golfing, or a ton of sponsorship & advertising that some of them do (and nobody bats an eye at).

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The historical guy to compare vdW to, is Torsten Frings.

    TFC's only two squad members to start in a WC final game.

    vdW is a lot younger and cheaper!
    Add Julio Ceasar to that list.... that makes it 3

  6. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    How do you know that Ricketts' (or anybody's) side activities affect the job on the field? Maybe Ricketts was just a bit of a head case, and not a great player? Of course if they're drunk & getting arrested (Aceval / Soolsma / Silva in Houston), or arriving at the team hotel way after curfew (JDG), showing up late for practice, and more we've heard or seen over the years, that's one thing. Hopefully Vanney watches for & disciplines such things. But MLS players have plenty of free time to do modelling, golfing, or a ton of sponsorship & advertising that some of them do (and nobody bats an eye at).
    You're right, I don't for certain.....but if I remember correctly, he was pretty highly regarded as a young player, so you have to think the talent is/was there.
    He was hanging with 50 Cent, the blogs, the commercials....and that was just what we seen with his time here.
    Thinking logically, it's definitely not a leap to come to the conclusion that one came at the expense of the other.....

  7. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    Add Julio Ceasar to that list.... that makes it 3
    Julio Cesar never made it to a World Cup Final, closest he came was the 7-1 Semi-Final loss. He wasn't on the 2002 team. He did win 2 Confederations Cups though

  8. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    21,510
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Very, very, very , very nice singing. This is very good.

  9. #39
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wherever I Lay my Hat
    Posts
    3,442
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This.

    Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    | "Bez has developed a big knack for reclamation projects."
    It's truly a special gift. If Bez pulls another rabbit out of his hat and vdW ends up being another MLS gem, MLSE will have a hard time keeping Bez. The offers will come roaring in, around the league.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

  10. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,886
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    This.



    It's truly a special gift. If Bez pulls another rabbit out of his hat and vdW ends up being another MLS gem, MLSE will have a hard time keeping Bez. The offers will come roaring in, around the league.
    I don't think we have to worry about Bez going somewhere else in the league. We're one of the 3-4 biggest clubs in the league with deep pockets in a really nice city. I think it's more likely he goes to Europe.

    Or he doesn't want to go and his reign will continue on and on. Behind the scenes guys tend to chase bigger checks and roles at bigger jobs a lot less than managers and players. A lot more incentive to stay put once your in a good spot.

  11. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    9,675
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    USMNT might be the other big threat at some point. But... before any of this happens they have to continue succeeding.

    Porter and Kreis also won plaudits at points and people wondered if they’d get a bigger job .... but they eventually stopped showing that level of consistency and the chatter went away. So I rest easy knowing if these guys get yanked for a bigger seat they’ll have filled our trophy cases for some time.

  12. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ajax
    Posts
    1,942
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    They said Bez, not Vanney.... No?

    Two different roles and responsibilities. The fact Bez got him, its job well done. To me it's up to Vanney (the coach) to fit in a player of that caliber

  13. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,929
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    And our new number 9 is....... Gregory van der Weil

    Guy definitely has an ego to be a fullback with the number 9

  14. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Mississauga | Section 221
    Posts
    291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    And our new number 9 is....... Gregory van der Weil

    Guy definitely has an ego to be a fullback with the number 9
    Endoh used to be 9, right?

  15. #45
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mississauga / Sec. 111
    Posts
    1,254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    Endoh used to be 9, right?
    True, but since he is on trial the number is available to anyone.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

    AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017

  16. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,006
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    to get a player a few seasons removed from that PSG team.

    WOW! this a sign of great things to come

  17. #47
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    588
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    And our new number 9 is....... Gregory van der Weil

    Guy definitely has an ego to be a fullback with the number 9
    Nowadays a lot of players don't pick numbers for positional reasons rather for numbers they like. Example jozy with number 17 and mavinga with number 23. So VdW being 9 really makes no difference cause jozy seba or rickets all had the option of taking it and none did.

  18. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Nowadays a lot of players don't pick numbers for positional reasons rather for numbers they like. Example jozy with number 17 and mavinga with number 23. So VdW being 9 really makes no difference cause jozy seba or rickets all had the option of taking it and none did.
    While I've never been one for positional numbers being mandatory, some numbers just feel very odd in certain places (ie, 7-11 on defence, 2-5 for strikers). Other numbers like 15 for example, feel fine anywhere on a pitch to me

  19. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    2,978
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


  20. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ajax
    Posts
    1,942
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    reminds me of this:



    .....GDVW, lets hope him picking the number 9 isn't indicative to failed expectations.

  21. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,059
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So weird. I'm not opposed to numbers being slightly out of position, but in my mind number 2 is a RB number; 3-6 in the back half of the field; 7 anywhere in midfield or attack or even attacking fullback; 8 any central midfield spot; and 10 & 11 anywhere up front. But 9 looks totally out of place anywhere but on a striker imo. It reminds me of Dempsey wearing 2. Though in all fairness, there aren't any real fullback numbers available, and he could very well spend a lot of time up front

  22. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    2,978
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    reminds me of this:



    .....GDVW, lets hope him picking the number 9 isn't indicative to failed expectations.
    This is the one it reminded me of. A CB. He was shit for Chelsea iirc.


  23. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That makes sense now... They both played RB for the Dutch during the 2010 world cup. Must be a tribute to Boulahrouz.

  24. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    3,720
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    vdW was very honest and open today in the press conference about the misfortunes of his past two years, and he said one of the main reasons he wanted to come here was for the difference in the culture and people. He said how he was sick of being judged for his private life, and he felt that professional sports in North America was very much ahead of Europe in terms of the professionalism.

    So rack up another victory for compassion and inclusivity! But also, I feel like the notion of 'a Human Resources department' and people management just doesn't really exist at a lot of clubs over there. For players who have been marginalized or treated with indifference at some clubs, coming here must seem like a totally different world.

    He also said he had lost his passion for the game, so hopefully that comes back soon.

  25. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,886
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    vdW was very honest and open today in the press conference about the misfortunes of his past two years, and he said one of the main reasons he wanted to come here was for the difference in the culture and people. He said how he was sick of being judged for his private life, and he felt that professional sports in North America was very much ahead of Europe in terms of the professionalism.

    So rack up another victory for compassion and inclusivity! But also, I feel like the notion of 'a Human Resources department' and people management just doesn't really exist at a lot of clubs over there. For players who have been marginalized or treated with indifference at some clubs, coming here must seem like a totally different world.

    He also said he had lost his passion for the game, so hopefully that comes back soon.
    The media culture around sports is also an entirely different animal over there. Intensely negative and sensationalized. I think a lot of players in Europe would much prefer our model for how to treat and respect athletes.

  26. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    TFC Website. ... Apparently he's a forward

  27. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hoping he's mentally stronger here.

  28. #58
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    8,701
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Completely agree, don't care what he does with his life off the field as long as it does not affect his character, thus effecting the club. Let him prove himself on the pitch before making judgment. Don't we remember one of the games biggest stars was a marketing machine both on and off the pitch, in Becks.

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This is not directed at anybody in here.




    The whole "what is he doing caring about his modeling" thing is patriarchal bull shit.

    He will be in photoshoots with or without his wife and people will just have to get used to it.

    That's the life of a photogenic man married(?) to a woman who makes more money at her thing then he does at his. He shares that part of her life. Oh well.

    If he plays crap, those shoots have nothing to do with his play.

    As long as he works hard on and off the pitch, I don't care if he models or plays video games or helps his Mom with chores or does charity work. These are human beings - let em live for God's sake.

    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  29. #59
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    5,698
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Hoping he's mentally stronger here.
    I really hope so as well! But it seems he did pretty well in Amsterdam and Paris. Sounds like Turkey was a shitshow on a couple of levels. And then Cagliari, population 150k, and he wasn't even playing after a coaching change.

  30. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ajax
    Posts
    1,942
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    The media culture around sports is also an entirely different animal over there. Intensely negative and sensationalized. I think a lot of players in Europe would much prefer our model for how to treat and respect athletes.
    I strongly disagree. What happens in football in Europe is comparable to what happens here with players in the NFL, NBA, & NHL. In North American sports media, reporters have access to players in the change rooms, on field right after a game, halftime interviews you name it.... and sometimes they are condescending, or ask dumb questions to a player that just lost a game badly and probably doesn't want to hear certain questions/comments. Soccer isn't a "popular" sport, so the media presence isn't as large as the other major leagues and the few are politically correct when it comes to soccer. If they're not, they'll be blackballed from interviews and press conferences.

    I'll run with the people and city culture reason. But the media thing is only because soccer is on the come up.
    Last edited by Shway; 02-06-2018 at 12:41 AM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •