Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bill Manning will be the prez for both the argos and TFC

TFC president Bill Manning to oversee Argos the with same title. http://bit.ly/2mQJJyI
    I dont know how i feel about this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a good thing considering they share the stadium.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consolidation. One less title for the Argos to pay for?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was hoping he would get two paychecks. :-) At least free Argos tickets....
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CFL killed my life long interest in the league last year by allowing Hamilton to hire a rape enabler and then doubling down by blaming people for rightful outrage. That stupidity goes to the old boys network that the CFL is.

Manning wouldn't put up with that shit so good luck to him trying to sell that sport in this town.

Don't ruin the turf.

Don't want no blue during game day.

Apart from that, I will refrain from judging how this shakes out for a couple of years.

Part of me thinks this is also a play to ensure BMO field gets World Cup $ for an upgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The CFL killed my life long interest in the league last year by allowing Hamilton to hire a rape enabler and then doubling down by blaming people for rightful outrage. That stupidity goes to the old boys network that the CFL is.

Manning wouldn't put up with that shit so good luck to him trying to sell that sport in this town.

Don't ruin the turf.

Don't want no blue during game day.

Apart from that, I will refrain from judging how this shakes out for a couple of years.

Part of me thinks this is also a play to ensure BMO field gets World Cup $ for an upgrade.

What would be the connection between the Argos and the World Cup?

To me this looks like a move to increase attendance. TFC definitely have a professional approach to developing its season ticket base. The Argos, by contrast, appear to be winging it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A professional CFL voice in any upgrade to BMO discussion is better for selling this to the Federal or Provincial goverment then the current CFL types.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless they turn the seats blue, or threaten to take out the grass, I'm over the Argos thing.
    It's been two years now, our first final I thought the argos/grey cup had a role in the poor field, this past year I didn't feel the field was bad considering it was early december.

Everyone is desperate to make the argos relevant again. It makes sense that MLSe would try to share resources across their teams. Until it affects our GameDay experience it really is a non issue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's maybe a de facto promotion for Bez.

There is always some awkward overlap between a President and a GM. If Manning is spending more time elsewhere, that's more responsibility for Bez.

Plus the Argos are a massive dumpster fire. They could use some profesisonal management.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with the general sentiment in this thread, that, if anything, it's better for "one of ours" to be in charge… although, should something go sour with the job he does on their end, you would hope there'd be little spill-over, provided he's still doing well for us.

Interesting little development, though, innit? For all the shtick their fans sometimes give us and the club/sport, TFC's president steps into the same role for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe they are getting him ready to become MLSE president in the near future with this move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Maybe they are getting him ready to become MLSE president in the near future with this move.
    I think it's more that TFC isn't as big (financially, responsibility, etc) as the Raptors and the Leafs. So Manning running TFC + Argos is probably equivalent to Shanahan running Leafs and Ujiri running the Raptors. More sense financially for MLSE to join the two rather and have 3 major presidents than have two major and two minor presidents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I think it's more that TFC isn't as big (financially, responsibility, etc) as the Raptors and the Leafs. So Manning running TFC + Argos is probably equivalent to Shanahan running Leafs and Ujiri running the Raptors. More sense financially for MLSE to join the two rather and have 3 major presidents than have two major and two minor presidents.
    And one person running both clubs in a shared facility will mean no in-fighting in regards to BMO Field.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring back the Balmy Beach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate this move. The thread is correct for the reasons why, but I hate it. TFC brass pre Manning were clearly against the Argos presence at BMO ( yes, all rumour, nothing in the record, but enough smoke that there was a fire), but this cements the Argos at BMO. I am not anti CFL, just think this stadium should be for soccer. If the Argos ever get attendance, watch out. Pressure for turf will be huge. Let the CFL build their own FSS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Bring back the Balmy Beach
    excellent!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the parking lot at the 1982 Grey Cup, I met 6 or 8 guys from the Balmy Beach team that won the Grey Cup in the 1920s.

They were a bunch of guys in their 80s in raccoon skin guys drinking from flasks, having a ball listening to a dixieland jazz band.

A lot of them had military caps on too.

They looked like they knew how to live.

Things you never forget.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I hate this move. The thread is correct for the reasons why, but I hate it. TFC brass pre Manning were clearly against the Argos presence at BMO ( yes, all rumour, nothing in the record, but enough smoke that there was a fire), but this cements the Argos at BMO. I am not anti CFL, just think this stadium should be for soccer. If the Argos ever get attendance, watch out. Pressure for turf will be huge. Let the CFL build their own FSS.
    IF they ever get attendance - its been steadily in decline for the last 3-4 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Totally disagree. If the Argos get decent attendance it will mean we will get a bigger stadium and the pressure will be to get better grass. This is a win for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    Totally disagree. If the Argos get decent attendance it will mean we will get a bigger stadium and the pressure will be to get better grass. This is a win for TFC.
    Wait so your saying that BMO Field expanding is based on Argo attendance, a team that plays what 9 home games and struggles to get 15000 a game, I’m confused?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we get the world cup I think the grass is safe for a few years.
    How many cfl decisions will manning have to make?
    All it is is a company trimming fat, streamlining operations.
    Now that mlse owns the Argos they are at bmo to stay. They won't build another stadium. They won't go back to "paying "rent at the dome.
    Rather than an anti argos approach we should just aim to make tfc even bigger. So that there is no denying whose house BMO field is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now that MLSE has the argos in their stable, would they ever concede defeat?

Say the argos bottom out further.
    Drawing like 2000 to 4000 per game (paid customers)
    Would MLSE sell? move? fold? the team?

Is the possibility of the Halifax Argos way less likely?
    I can't see MLSE admitting to a mistake. They'd almost rather bleed some funds, than admit they made a misinformed business decision.

the TSN money apparently covers a large amount of the operating costs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argos gate is irrelevant. They are a part of the CFL TV asset. Failure would be a general CFL ratings decline below darts or something.

Then, sure, they would kill it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argos are essential to the CFL. Perhaps less so than in the past, but hating the Argos is a common denominator of fans of all other CFL teams. Ensco is right, they are here to stay.

Sure, for now it’s working, and yes, if TFC keeps growing there isn’t a problem. But the threat is there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listened to Manning talk to McCowan yesterday. He did not sound enthused becoming the Argos President. I don't think he had a choice, unless he quit....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think they will ever put in Turf, why cater to CFL that has half the dates and therefore half the revenue. They may switch to a hybrid system

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime-ti...-mlse-machine/

Reaching out but no cross selling of tickets (no ransom packs).

Lots of talk about MLSE resources potential to unlock..etc. etc.

Dates for both teams lie with him. Manning looking for consistent scheduling for both TFC & Argos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I over the Argos, being at BMO. I do not like it, but I am not worried about it anymore, BMO field is our house.

But the funny thing is, that I am a casual CFL fan, but with the Argos being at BMO, it bugs me enough, that I would rather follow the Ticats.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's just note that the World Cup 2026 bid will be ongoing this year. This time next year we will know if they will be deciding on what they need stadium wise and if it could fit NFL.

Soooo many steps before that but the bid is in the news this week.

And THAT would affect the Argos. In 2027.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 01-24-2018 at 03:28 PM.