Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 44 of 44
  1. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    https://theathletic.com/225258/2018/...posed-pay-cut/

    Beitashour said the club indeed offered him a contract, but felt “insulted” when they asked him to take a pay cut.“I don’t know if you can justify anyone on our team to take a pay cut that’s a regular starter,” Beitashour told The Athletic. “Especially when guys are getting pretty big pay raises, so if everyone’s getting pay increases and your (contract) is the only one not, there’s something fishy about it.”
    “If I knew guys were strapped up for money and multiple guys were like ‘Hey we’re just making the same amount, we’re not getting any increase or maybe we’re taking a little bit of a cut, and we’re all in it together,”’ I would’ve said, “Hell yeah, I’m in it together too.’ But when you’re the only one singled out, it’s a little tough to swallow and it hurts a little bit.”
    Beitashour said he went to club management before the season ended to express his desire to stay with TFC. He said he would have accepted a one or two-year contract and was looking for a “tiny little increase.”
    “And now your manager comes to tell you that you have to take a pay cut, but all your colleagues are getting raises,” said Beitashour. “How would you feel about that?”
    TFC GM Tim Bezbatchenko said the club was “fairly close” in negotiations with Beitashour.
    “We had a hard line number in terms of what we were capable of bringing him back on, in terms of position, age, experience and just where we’re at with our roster. Unfortunately there’s obviously different budgetary limitations on the other club’s side in terms of LAFC. That’s the reality of the situation with Steven,” said Bezbatchenko.
    At the end of the season, his option was declined by the team.
    “So I don’t get it,” said Beitashour of constantly being moved despite consistently strong seasons. “It’s not like I didn’t play, not like I was 18 and not dressing. I’m your starter. I’m getting called up to the U.S. men’s national team, called up to Iran national team. I don’t get it, maybe I’m crazy.”
    “It is frustrating, because I felt like we had a true family bond on that team and guys were always putting in the work, always competing every weekend so I’m going to miss that aspect of it,” said Beitashour. “It’s tough leaving the best team in league history.”

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,860
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^ That really sucks. The irony is he is being replaced by someone more expensive, but will "cost" less on the budget charge because of the TAM rules (someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that). This is where all the league's various rules and pseudo money (GAM, TAM) make no sense.

  3. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm not gonna be too tough on Bez....or Beita, for that matter, on this one.

    Fact is that with the season we've had, raises for many were likely to be in the cards....and considering the circumstances with the cap and all, the person I'd be most reluctant to offer a raise to is a 33 year old, who with a bit of work, could have a replacement found (like Bez has seemingly done, at a lower cap hit to boot).
    Beita is/was a casualty of our success.....happens to every great team.
    And he was in a tough spot too....too good/experienced to to be considered a value signing, but not good enough to be worth buying down with any type of allocation.

  4. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, Moor and Cheyrou were two very notable veterans who've taken multiple pay cuts between them to stay. Pretty sure Altidore took a cut at one point too. I don't think they drilled that in too him very hard.

    I suspect they didn't try very hard to bring him back. They had a number they'd be comfortable with for him but if he didn't accept it they were perfectly okay with going the route we've gone. Just unfortunate the Brass couldn't have explained the situation to him better.

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    ^ That really sucks. The irony is he is being replaced by someone more expensive, but will "cost" less on the budget charge because of the TAM rules (someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that). This is where all the league's various rules and pseudo money (GAM, TAM) make no sense.
    It depends how much TAM we use to buy down Van der Wiel and what his salary is, but yes it's very possible to swap Beitashour for Van der Wiel in this scenario and come out with more cap space.

    It's understandable that Beitashour is upset, I won't hold it against him. It's just the reality of the league though. It's hard enough to keep your core intact year-after-year, never mind winning every competition and throwing out bonuses, which count against your cap, left and right. What this shows for me is how on top of things Bez is. Good teams get in trouble when they start handing out "reward" contracts to vets instead of focusing on future value and proper managing of resources. It sucks for Beitashour but the shoe had to drop somewhere. We had to do the same thing with Will Johnson last year, and it was obviously the right decision.

  6. #36
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,160
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I hate this part of sports.

    There is is no good answer. Beita deserves better, but Bez has to move guys a year too early, not a year too late
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  7. #37
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    5,971
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm really sad to see Beita go. You don't want to lose any players after a season like that. And everyone says that he's just one of the absolute nicest guys around.

    At least it's good that MLS finally has some semblance of free agency for veterans like Beitashour. Many of us will remember that guys like him used to be in an even more frustrating situation.

    And I fully expect Beitashour will score his first league goal since 2013 against TFC. It's just the way things work out.

  8. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,860
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    MLS has created a lot of bad unintended consequences with all it's stupid pseudo money. How do you look Beita in the face after putting his body on the line in a treble-winning season and say we couldn't afford you, but we're going to bring in someone more expensive to replace you. Those are the situations this TAM BS brings up. Now the league is looking into mechanisms to pay younger kids more - the way Atlanta has been building. Why does the league incentivize one approach to build your team? It shouldn't have all these sub-categories of TAM and DPs. Give teams one broad mechanism and let them decide if they want to use it to bring in a young kid with star potential, or reward a long-serving player, or whatever.

    Ok, end of rant.

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    MLS has created a lot of bad unintended consequences with all it's stupid pseudo money. How do you look Beita in the face after putting his body on the line in a treble-winning season and say we couldn't afford you, but we're going to bring in someone more expensive to replace you. Those are the situations this TAM BS brings up. Now the league is looking into mechanisms to pay younger kids more - the way Atlanta has been building. Why does the league incentivize one approach to build your team? It shouldn't have all these sub-categories of TAM and DPs. Give teams one broad mechanism and let them decide if they want to use it to bring in a young kid with star potential, or reward a long-serving player, or whatever.

    Ok, end of rant.
    Well its not like he CAN'T make what he's after.....its just that he won't be able to make it HERE.
    And I think that might have more to do with us being close to the cap than anything else.
    IMO, some onus has to be put on the player too.....he needs to decide if he wants to stick with a Championship team at maybe a equal or lesser contract, or test the market for the compensation he's after.
    I mean, with the number of teams in MLS now, if a player is set on a certain value for his services, there is bound to be one willing to offer it....in Beita's case it happened.

  10. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,860
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    Well its not like he CAN'T make what he's after.....its just that he won't be able to make it HERE.
    And I think that might have more to do with us being close to the cap than anything else.
    IMO, some onus has to be put on the player too.....he needs to decide if he wants to stick with a Championship team at maybe a equal or lesser contract, or test the market for the compensation he's after.
    I mean, with the number of teams in MLS now, if a player is set on a certain value for his services, there is bound to be one willing to offer it....in Beita's case it happened.
    The TAM rules mean we can sign Beita's replacement at likely a significantly higher cost, while we tell him we don't have the money not only for a small raise, but even to make what he earned last year. That's what the rules create. I'm not blaming TFC at all here, I just think MLS rules create unintended consequences, and this will just get worse as they add more categories, like whatever this young DP thing is going to be.

  11. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Section 110
    Posts
    497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    MLS has created a lot of bad unintended consequences with all it's stupid pseudo money. How do you look Beita in the face after putting his body on the line in a treble-winning season and say we couldn't afford you, but we're going to bring in someone more expensive to replace you. Those are the situations this TAM BS brings up. Now the league is looking into mechanisms to pay younger kids more - the way Atlanta has been building. Why does the league incentivize one approach to build your team? It shouldn't have all these sub-categories of TAM and DPs. Give teams one broad mechanism and let them decide if they want to use it to bring in a young kid with star potential, or reward a long-serving player, or whatever.

    Ok, end of rant.
    My take (which is mostly wrong, some of the time) - the league has a picture of what they want the makeup of the league to look like in terms of team and league demographics (age, skill, etc...). They want to get from point A (now) to point B (vision) as quickly as possible, so they throw out these incentives to try and prod the teams to get there quicker. You can't have the whole team be quality, but if you can outfit 1/2 or more of your starting 11 with these players via incentives, the league is farther ahead then before.

    Look at what the league looked like before we had Gen Adidas and the DP rule. Without these incentives and programs, today we'd have a higher salary cap, but the same level of talent in the league. Adrian Cann, and Aaron Maund -esque players might be mainstays on any given team, making 300-450 as the pie got bigger, but the ingredients stayed the same. The DP was used oddly and sparingly at first because most didn't understand how to take advantage, but its much better now. Same with GA players who came into the league with decent salaries that didn't cost against the cap (think Frei).

    Some teams are better at it then others and the league does some odd things sometimes, bending the rules when they *think* it will help the growth of the league as a whole. The expected outcomes and actual outcomes can very greatly (exhibit A - Max Urruti).

  12. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The TAM rules mean we can sign Beita's replacement at likely a significantly higher cost, while we tell him we don't have the money not only for a small raise, but even to make what he earned last year. That's what the rules create. I'm not blaming TFC at all here, I just think MLS rules create unintended consequences, and this will just get worse as they add more categories, like whatever this young DP thing is going to be.
    Ya, I get all that, and I'd agree that the rules can result in unintended circumstances at times, and its also a product of a team's cap situation at the time. Unfortunately for Beita, we can't do both right now.
    Business and planning wise TFC made the absolute right decision here, but throwing sentimentals into it would change it a bit, and I think Beita looked at it that way too.

    I think the post below is actually pretty good...the league is doing these things because it wants to attract a certain type/demographic of player.
    And while they won't be able to hold on to most of these guys for more than a few years, without these mechanisms for allocation money, MLS wouldn't have a shot at them.

    Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    My take (which is mostly wrong, some of the time) - the league has a picture of what they want the makeup of the league to look like in terms of team and league demographics (age, skill, etc...). They want to get from point A (now) to point B (vision) as quickly as possible, so they throw out these incentives to try and prod the teams to get there quicker. You can't have the whole team be quality, but if you can outfit 1/2 or more of your starting 11 with these players via incentives, the league is farther ahead then before.

    Look at what the league looked like before we had Gen Adidas and the DP rule. Without these incentives and programs, today we'd have a higher salary cap, but the same level of talent in the league. Adrian Cann, and Aaron Maund -esque players might be mainstays on any given team, making 300-450 as the pie got bigger, but the ingredients stayed the same. The DP was used oddly and sparingly at first because most didn't understand how to take advantage, but its much better now. Same with GA players who came into the league with decent salaries that didn't cost against the cap (think Frei).

    Some teams are better at it then others and the league does some odd things sometimes, bending the rules when they *think* it will help the growth of the league as a whole. The expected outcomes and actual outcomes can very greatly (exhibit A - Max Urruti).

  13. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If I was the league, I would set a year in the future when they can go to a hard cap, with none of this TAM AND GAM garbage. I would say like 2025, so none of the contracts now will effect teams then. Make it 8-10 mill cap, with 3 DPS and 1 young DP that count 5 percent of cap for each you use. They need to aline with the other capped league in North America.

  14. #44
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    13,142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    TAM & GAM is there so teams can choose to NOT go higher then the supposed cap and still look like they are maximising their options.

    i.e. Makes the cheapskates look better.


    Garber Bucks also provide a tradeable commodity, which is good for keeping interest in the offseason.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •