https://theathletic.com/225258/2018/...posed-pay-cut/

Beitashour said the club indeed offered him a contract, but felt “insulted” when they asked him to take a pay cut.“I don’t know if you can justify anyone on our team to take a pay cut that’s a regular starter,” Beitashour told The Athletic. “Especially when guys are getting pretty big pay raises, so if everyone’s getting pay increases and your (contract) is the only one not, there’s something fishy about it.”
“If I knew guys were strapped up for money and multiple guys were like ‘Hey we’re just making the same amount, we’re not getting any increase or maybe we’re taking a little bit of a cut, and we’re all in it together,”’ I would’ve said, “Hell yeah, I’m in it together too.’ But when you’re the only one singled out, it’s a little tough to swallow and it hurts a little bit.”
Beitashour said he went to club management before the season ended to express his desire to stay with TFC. He said he would have accepted a one or two-year contract and was looking for a “tiny little increase.”
“And now your manager comes to tell you that you have to take a pay cut, but all your colleagues are getting raises,” said Beitashour. “How would you feel about that?”
TFC GM Tim Bezbatchenko said the club was “fairly close” in negotiations with Beitashour.
“We had a hard line number in terms of what we were capable of bringing him back on, in terms of position, age, experience and just where we’re at with our roster. Unfortunately there’s obviously different budgetary limitations on the other club’s side in terms of LAFC. That’s the reality of the situation with Steven,” said Bezbatchenko.
At the end of the season, his option was declined by the team.
“So I don’t get it,” said Beitashour of constantly being moved despite consistently strong seasons. “It’s not like I didn’t play, not like I was 18 and not dressing. I’m your starter. I’m getting called up to the U.S. men’s national team, called up to Iran national team. I don’t get it, maybe I’m crazy.”
“It is frustrating, because I felt like we had a true family bond on that team and guys were always putting in the work, always competing every weekend so I’m going to miss that aspect of it,” said Beitashour. “It’s tough leaving the best team in league history.”