Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting for the US but up here I get the feeling TSN is going to implement this as part of Sporstnet NOW like app.

No way they are going to charge only $7 a month like ESPN will be doing.

RIP the condensed games. I used to watch games on Sunday mornings to catch up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope this won't be region locked. I would pay $5 a month to watch the games in HD here in Taiwan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Massive news out today that ESPN bought the right to MLS live and is mixing it in as part of ESPN+ - ESPN's big push to switch to streaming and online content after their subscriptions levels fell off a cliff two or three years ago. It'll be cheaper than MLS live, plus you get access to every other sporting event ESPN has in its folder. It'll mean a significantly bigger audience across the U.S. and around the world. Could very well be looked at as a turning point in the league's surge into mainstream entertainment in the U.S. and Canada in the coming years.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-soccer-rights
    Compare this to NBC Sport's digital strategy with NBC Sports Gold, each stream (Prem, rugby, cricket, etc) is a separate and pricey subscription. ESPN's relatively low price, full access approach on a robust platform (current Watch ESPN platform is certainly decent enough now) should get much more viewership than MLS Live could dream of. Not sure what happens for the Canadian folk though. If ESPN+ is carrying a variety of sports, navigating the rights situation might be too much to open it to Canadian audience.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting changes, but I also really doubt that ESPN+ will make it to Canada.

A more robust service (ESPN or TSN for example) will likely make the geoblocking more extreme. Last year I could usually still get around it for TFC away games on MLS Live.

I had a feeling that MLS Live would go away soon. I believe the death knell was already sounded once or twice before. My big hope was that MLS might get added to DAZN in Canada (DAZN also got NFL for Canada, plus Italian, French & Spanish soccer, and more).

In reality, I think MLS coverage will only get worse for Canadian cord cutters. I'll have to look into one of the other services mentioned here from time to time.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 02-14-2018 at 09:19 AM.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could pave the way for TSN GO to carry the games that TSN has rights to. We won't be able to see any non-Canadian teams though, which we can with MLS Live.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit unrelated but props to CBC for making any event at the Olympics free to watch, you just have to watch 2 short ads before joining live stream.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN GO is tied to having a cable/sattelite account. IF MLS & TSN go down that route, they are beyond stupid.

The whole point of the ESPN app, and the Rogers one for that matter, is to generate a revenue stream from people not currently providing one to you. MLS in that case would be just a part of the package who's biggest products would be curling & the CFL & the World Juniors.

The issue is going to be the pricing. Rogers hasn't found the sweet spot with their app yet. People are not going to pay $25 a month to watch MLS + whatever else they are interested in. And, TSN's demographics for curling & the CFL are far less likely to be cord cutters. Something is coming but it ain't going to be as cheap as ESPN.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-14-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Interesting changes, but I also really doubt that ESPN+ will make it to Canada.

A more robust service (ESPN or TSN for example) will likely make the geoblocking more extreme. Last year I could usually still get around it for TFC away games on MLS Live.

I had a feeling that MLS Live would go away soon. I believe the death knell was already sounded once or twice before. My big hope was that MLS might get added to DAZN in Canada (DAZN also got NFL for Canada, plus Italian, French & Spanish soccer, and more).

In reality, I think MLS coverage will only get worse for Canadian cord cutters. I'll have to look into one of the other services mentioned here from time to time.
    DAZN will be streaming all the matches from the Carolina Challenge this weekend...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAG in serious trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    LAG in serious trouble.

Wow that is quite the drop. I wonder how they compare to LAFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAG in serious trouble.

Zlatan to the courtesy phone!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAG in serious trouble.

Oof that is really brutal never thought I'd see the day where I'd be worried about the LA Galaxy's relevancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So were those SSH losses due to cannibalism from LAFC? I could see some people switching allegiances to team in closer proximity to their homes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    So were those SSH losses due to cannibalism from LAFC? I could see some people switching allegiances to team in closer proximity to their homes.
    Well they also really sucked last season, so a couple of things coming together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raheem started a nice play that got MTL it's first goal against the rowdies. Petrassso with the assist. What's great is seeing the Canadiens getting regular minutes including Shamit Shome, and that Raheem is not playing as a wing back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, good news. The snotrags had a bad offseason...I think we put them in a zombie state, I bet they lose 9 of their first 10 or something

http://www.totalmls.net/blog/2018/2/...season-preview
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Hey, good news. The snotrags had a bad offseason...I think we put them in a zombie state, I bet they lose 9 of their first 10 or something

The 3 best teams are in the east imo. Toronto Atlanta and Man City 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

I'm worried we get them in the final of the CCL. They got a super easy bracket and could pull it off if they're wise enough. I'd lose my mind if that's how this all ends up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm worried we get them in the final of the CCL. They got a super easy bracket and could pull it off if they're wise enough. I'd lose my mind if that's how this all ends up.
    I wouldn't be worried about that at all. It would actually benefit us, given they're such a known quantity and we completely dominated them last year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By all accounts, they put up a B team last night & managed the away goal loss. They are talking about making CCL a priority but it didn't look like it.

They talk ambitious but this lot has peaked.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By all accounts, they put up a B team last night & managed the away goal loss. They are talking about making CCL a priority but it didn't look like it.

They talk ambitious but this lot has peaked.
    Lots of injuries and new signings not quite match fit for Sounders.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gio Jozy
    Vazquez
    Aketxe Auro
    Bradley
    Morrow mavinga Moor VdW
    Bono

....wow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default State of the league - MLS 3.0

TFC is looking like PSV or FC Porto of MLS but what about the rest of the league? Here are my thoughts and I would like to hear yours.

I put them into 4 categories.
    -
    1) Elite
    2) MLS 3.0 ready
    3) MLS 2.5 still
    4) Survival

1) LOOKING VERY ELITE;

Atlanta United - 48 k fans average, elite young talent, electric stadium, great market, they are the Lakers of MLS.
    Seattle Sounders - 40 + k average, big stadium, Atmosphere, Model of consistency.
    La Galaxy - Still the most glamorous brand in MLS in my opinion. You think of MLS you think of Galaxy… though TFC is challenging that.
    Toronto FC - Deep pockets, 15 north american players, the best team in MLS, great fan support with a vision to expand to 40 k fans.

MLS 3.0 Ready -

Portland - Some will be angry I included La Galaxy over Portland, but overall the LA Galaxy brand is more known with higher potential because of population.
    NYCFC - If they had a proper stadium and didn’t copy Man City they would be in the elite 4. I don’t really think the Man City branding should hurt them to much though... but honestly I don't like it.
    Orlando - Lack of success has kept them from top 4, but they are right there. Re-locating to a smaller stadium hurt there attendance.
    NY Red Bulls - Just a Solid group is what we can say about the Red Bulls, they run it well in New Jersey.
    LAFC - tbd but I think they find them selves in this group with there new team and stadium.
    Sporting KC - looks great on t.v, solid team, good management, consistent like the Red Bulls.
    Real Salt Lake - They make the 3.0 list. I like games vs RSL Good crowd, unique atmosphere.
    -
    Basically it's enjoyable to watch games vs these teams minus yankee stadium.

——
    MLS 2.5 - The great thing about this group is they don’t really hold the league back; they could just use some spicing up.
    -----
    Philadelphia Union - Nearly ready for 3.0. Give it a year or two.
    D.C United - They could make the jump this season with there new stadium.
    Vancouver Whitecaps - There run well, competitive, 20 + k fans average; there stadium is to big though, doesn’t make it glamorous to watch. You can cover those seats all you want, you notice them.
    Minnesota United - Once they have there stadium and a few years in the league; I predict a quick transition to 3.0.
    Quakes - just not sexy to watch on t.v.
    Montreal Impact - see above.
    Houston Dynamo - see San Jose.
    Chicago Fire - They have there issues, but at the end of the day it’s Chicago, and they are willing to invest. They should get to 3.0.
    F.C Dallas - There run well, good team, but overall a low attendance and there stadium is pretty weak. Looks like a 1st division England team.
    ——
    Survival:
    Colorado Rapids
    Columbus Crew
    ——
    Unknown/weird situation:
    New England gets there own bracket, they actually have a great fan base in a great market. The fact they average 20 k playing in that stadium is a testament to there support, they draw good crowds. There issues are a stadium and some say there owner but I don't know a ton about that issue. In my opinion the market it self is strong and once they figure them selves out I honestly predict them being among the top in the entire league with the big 4. They sell out 20 k a night in a terrible atmosphere that makes it look empty. If they had a stadium New England would do very good in MLS.
    Last edited by Defoe; 02-23-2018 at 10:10 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default West viewpoint on where they are at this Season

West (in no particular order)

Portland has a much better more dynamic coach this season in Sevarese. He will push them to win every game - but they are getting older. A better team without Nagbe. I think they make the MLS Cup final this season in one last hurrah.
    LAFC - when you look at that team, the back line looks good but the rest is a work in progress. Not sold on Feilhaber as the midfield general. The most adept coach at getting something out of nothing though (look what Bradley did in Egypt, Norway & France) Playoffs might be a step too far but they will be in the hunt down to the wire.
    SKC - who's going to score. Core midfield is better with Feilhaber gone. Defence is one of the best in the league and they will be more organized then anybody. But, Vermes drives his teams way too hard - doing subs at the 85th minute is standard. Playoffs but a quicker then preferred exit - again.
    Seattle - not sold on Schmetzer as coach. Dempsey either has one last hurrah or he falls off a cliff. Morris is not getting better. Defence lost its best player in Jones. Midfield blows hot and cold. They beat teams who are unorganized. Will there be 6 teams more organized then them in the West? Playoff run might end.
    LAG - lots of hype about being a better team but when I look at what they brought in, its really MLS starter level. Is anybody really hyped over Perry Kitchen? Like any team that gets rid of Zardes for Ola Kamara in theory is improved but can Kamara play with the Dos Santos brothers? More importantly, is Sigi Schmid good enough to coach at MLS 3.0? Tough to make the playoffs.
    Houston - improved? Well Cubo Torres is gone but he couldn't score outside of the penalty area. Steady as she goes for a decent attack - their defence needs shoring up though & that hasn't changed. Playoffs likely but nobody will fear them outside of games in that heat
    Minnesota has Adrian Heath and as long as that continues, this team is going nowhere. No significant improvements. The attack is opportunistic but the midfield & the defence can be had. Reality is they are going to go through 2019 with Heath & not succeed until he is gone. The nicest fans in the league with a really cool stadium coming next year but this team is just cruising for mediocrity.
    SJE - treading water roster wise (with the exception of Quintara in the back) but this should be a team that starts to gel - need to find somebody to score other then Wondo. No real playmaker. No playoffs until they invest.
    Vancouver - Championship level team circa 2007. Great solid defence. Attack? Chance creating? Nah...who needs it. Robinson got his team "this" close to a West championship last year and then blew it with some weird roster moves at the end. Playoffs? Sure. Voyaguers? They won't beat Montreal in a home and home.
    RSL - watch them. Mike Petke knows what he is doing. Seriously under rated midfield - Rusnak is very very good indeed but dirty hippie is slowing down (this is his last season). Defence holds enough. They will grind out wins & points & nobody will like playing them.
    Dallas - man, this team was soo good a couple of seasons ago. Then their coach, for whatever reason, decided to not play his kids. Urruti still banging in goals & Mauro Diaz is still only 27. That defence should be better then last season's melt down. Playoffs for sure but consistency will be an issue. Not a supporter's shield contender.
    Rapids - well we all saw what they are - better then last season but putting all that money into an aging Tim Howard was ultimately a bad call. Look like Nelsen 2.0. Will be ugly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    TFC is looking like PSV or FC Porto of MLS but what about the rest of the league? Here are my thoughts and I would like to hear yours.

Great read. Thanks.

My take?

Elite - teams who build for the long term with a plan to do something now & 2 years from now

Toronto FC
    Atlanta FC
    NYCFC (need that stadium)

Could Be Elite But Will They Be?

Seattle - they have not spent
    LAFC - will they spend? So far, they havn't really
    Orlando - they put everything into this season as against building up a team to compete for a long time

3.0 - do what it takes to compete

SKC
    RSL
    Portland
    Houston
    NYRB
    FCD
    Whitecaps

Not getting there for awhile

Union - can't spend bad stadium
    DCU - inept management who just ticked off 70% of their supporters
    SJE - fun stadium, shame they have no plan - need to replace Wondo & build but will never spend
    Impact - Owner way too involved - if this manager plays the kids, would be the first
    Fire - decisions that look good on paper but realistically, are they going to be good in 3 seasons?
    Loons - great fans - ownership happy to be mid table - wrong manager
    Rapids - they are going nowhere - Kronke uses them to spin through revenue - but they are not going to compete anymore
    NER - their crowds are amazing for what they have gone through - latest coach hire a big mistake

Need a fix bad

Crew - fans who are there are great - need new ownership but will never be more then competitive
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-24-2018 at 08:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huge injury blow to Sounders - Jordan Morris with torn ACL, out 6-9 months.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An ACL plays with your mind - for a guy who's biggest attribute was his speed, this is a bad bad thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Huge injury blow to Sounders - Jordan Morris with torn ACL, out 6-9 months.
    Depends if we think his 2016 or 2017 version is the real Morris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan View Post
    Depends if we think his 2016 or 2017 version is the real Morris.
    2016 is probably closer to what he is - last year he was in and nout of injury and Will bruin just served way better as a target man making room for the playmakers beside him,

That's not to say Morris was the American savior before. His game has huge strengths (Spead strength knack for breaking lines, etc) but he's more one footed than a war vet and he's injury prone and proven he can't effectively give a performance of the wings. He'll be in MLS his whole career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS think we're going to finish second in the East behind NYCFC... On paper I can't see anyone beating us, especially NYCFC after losing Jack Harrison. Atlanta is the East team I'm most worried about

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/0...season-preview