Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    I hope there was a lesson learned this year for the season opener. For the last 4-5 years a tradition had developed for TFC to start the season on the West coast. To have the season opener at home in Toronto in March is reckless. First two games should always be on the road with a start in Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, or California. They really shouldn't be playing anymore than absolutely necessary until mid April in Toronto.
    Given how crap the field has been this year and the fact that they're rebuilding it as we speak it might be better if they investigate the feasibility of moving Champions League games inside this winter. Might be difficult to find sod at this time of year but it might be cheaper to lay a temporary field at the dome and play there rather than risk screwing up BMO in February again ...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning was specifically asked if games would be played at Rogers Centre - the answer was a definite No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Manning was specifically asked if games would be played at Rogers Centre - the answer was a definite No.
    They should play in the soccer specific stadium that taxpayers bought for the Commonwealth games.... it's got artificial turf now.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    They should play in the soccer specific stadium that taxpayers bought for the Commonwealth games.... it's got artificial turf now.
    If this is sarcasm, I’d more likely say use the taxpayer funded PaAm games improvements that were bought at that Hamilton stadium.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Report in the Athletic of a SIGNIFICANT change in Playoffs and League dates

• 7 teams per conference make playoffs
    • Bye to next round only for Conference champ
    • Single knockout competition
    • Season ends first Sunday in October
    • 4 rounds of playoff
    • MLS Cup final would be second weekend in November
    • Season might start earlier in February
    • More weekday games
    • Likely more charter flights allowed

https://theathletic.com/664327/2018/...es-on-the-way/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

• 4 rounds of playoff
    • More weekday games

Upon first glance these seem positive changes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

• 4 rounds of playoff
    • More weekday games

Sounds pretty good. I hope February & early March games are in the cities with better weather, or indoors.

Only thing, with a more compressed schedule, and more weekday games, it becomes harder to schedule in the Voyageurs and CCL games; plus for TFC home games, leaving gaps for the Argos including field recovery time.

BTW in the season-end interviews, TFC brass noted that in 2018, TFC had some of the worst scheduling of any team, ever. I didn't mention it at the time, but I have to wonder if the Argos also play a role in that. It just makes BMO Field scheduling less flexible. Consider also the additional scheduling demands from the TV networks, and conflicts at other venues, which all play a role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

• 4 rounds of playoff
    • More weekday games

I liked everything in that EXCEPT the one game playoff rounds. Yes I do like that the better you are in the season, the more rewarded you get with the home game. But there is a better chance of some stupid happening in 1 game, then over 2 legs. So happy they’re going to move the MLS Cup to before the November international window. Longer off seasons as well!
    Last edited by TFC1154ever; 11-20-2018 at 05:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ It makes sense to finish the season before the October international break to give teams time to sell tickets to their games. The four weeks between the October and November international breaks would work well for a 16-team elimination tournament. However, I'm not sure if they shorten the season whether or not they will be able to have all the teams play each other. But if they start the weekend after Valentine's day, they could probably squeeze in 34 games. The most games any team would have to play in a MLS season would be 38, which is less than the 40 game maximum it is now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seven playoff teams is too many. One game knock out is a farce.

What they should do is a version of the liguilla in Mexico, ie a mini tournament.

Starting in early October, get down to 4 teams per conference. Maybe have your top two in conference get in automatically, then have 3 and 6 and 4 and 5 play each other, same as now.

Then the four teams on each side play each other - three games each. The one seed plays ALL 3 games at home. Two seed plays 2 of three at home. Next highest seed gets a single home game. Lowest seed plays them all on the road.

Group winners play in MLS Cup.

Makes the season mean something, makes seed position mean something, and gives you an exciting playoff round that is fair. If a six seed goes to MLS Cup, they'll have played and won all 4 playoff games on the road to do it. (Right now a six seed gets two home games on path to MLS Cup- that is truly not right)

Total number of playoff games would 25 games including MLS Cup, but this current proposed format they would have only 13 games.

Would create potentially some crazy scoreboard watching scenarios in last round in some years, with multiple games running head to head like get get on final day in group stage in World Cup.

(FYI Mexico has 8 teams in the liguilla and doesn’t have the twist of having home games determined by seed.)

I'll get my hat.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-20-2018 at 08:01 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I posted that idea on Big Soccer a couple of months ago, based on someone else's idea. I think that conference group stage playoffs would be awesome. Each winner plays MLS cup the following week. It would also help with scheduling of playoffs and selling of tickets if you have the high seeded teams playing group stage first, allowing more time for the winning knockout-stage teams to sell tickets.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    ^ I posted that idea on Big Soccer a couple of months ago, based on someone else's idea. I think that conference group stage playoffs would be awesome. Each winner plays MLS cup the following week. It would also help with scheduling of playoffs and selling of tickets if you have the high seeded teams playing group stage first, allowing more time for the winning knockout-stage teams to sell tickets.
    Funny I first saw it on BS but ten years ago. The part about seed determining home games I got somewhere else, can’t remember where

Every Mexican knows and likes this system.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cash is king. Your dreaming if you think they will cut 12 games.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Funny I first saw it on BS but ten years ago. The part about seed determining home games I got somewhere else, can’t remember where

Every Mexican knows and likes this system.
    Just to clarify- Not sure why you are bringing up Liga MX as an example-the Liguilla is 8 top teams from the table, seeded home and away QF SF and Final.

Costa Rica does a second stage group round robin to determine the playoff final 2 teams- and maybe other Central American teams as well.

I started hearing this year some of the commentators referring to the excitement of the knock out round and carrying it through the playoffs.

It’s WILD. YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME, etc type of hype.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Cash is king. Your dreaming if you think they will cut 12 games.
    I am ADDING 12 games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Just to clarify- Not sure why you are bringing up Liga MX as an example-the Liguilla is 8 top teams from the table, seeded home and away QF SF and Final.

Costa Rica does a second stage group round robin to determine the playoff final 2 teams- and maybe other Central American teams as well.
    I didn't know that re CR. That is the better example then.

I meant that Mexican fans understand the second season format, but, if it were me, I'd go round robin.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a 1977 NASL schedule to give you an idea of how a MLS sked could look with more mid week games. In 1977 the MLS regular season was 26 games and it ran from mid April-July. The playoffs were four rounds with the final on Aug. 28th. So you can see how easy it would be with say even an early April start to be over by the November break or even earlier, just not sure how many mid week matches they would want to push with the travel and all as I am sure fatigue would set in.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll miss the home and away format, the passion really builds over the 2 games.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I'll miss the home and away format, the passion really builds over the 2 games.
    Not to mention if your team finishes first overall, you don't get to invade the other stadiums with your away support. Some of my fondest away memories are from NYCFC and NYRB playoffs.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    Not to mention if your team finishes first overall, you don't get to invade the other stadiums with your away support. Some of my fondest away memories are from NYCFC and NYRB playoffs.
    This x 100

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seven playoff teams is too many. One game knock out is a farce.....
    Its a cup. MLS finally admitting what it could have been all along.

(Still think they should just invite everybody in and figure it out)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a cup. MLS finally admitting what it could have been all along.

(Still think they should just invite everybody in and figure it out)
    We have a Cup already (well 2 Cups- CCL and US Open).

This is just a second cup, which seems pointless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am ADDING 12 games.
    Oh my mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given how much this is still a gate driven league, I'm not sure how much appetite there is for more midweek games. I personally love the 2 leg format of the playoffs. If the league scheduled more midweek games to accommodate an earlier start time to the playoffs and maintain the current format, I'd be all for that. If that means doing MLS Cup after the international break (thereby giving the host time to sell tickets and the league time to hype up the match-up), that would work as well. I don't think you need to even start the season earlier to accomplish this. But this all comes back to appetite for more midweek games and the lower revenues that a lot of teams experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figured the league would be looking at doing something with the schedule. Especially considering Qatar 2022 would fall smack dab in the middle of the playoffs

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    I figured the league would be looking at doing something with the schedule. Especially considering Qatar 2022 would fall smack dab in the middle of the playoffs
    This would be an easy(or easier fix) than other world cup years where a break is taken mid-season.
    MLS would simply have to schedule more mid-week games from May-July (maybe August) then you could start the playoffs 1-2 weeks earlier (maybe earlier). Plus, even though there is the usual international window in November I feel that in 2022, FIFA will put out an announcement that it will not be a 'required' window to observe due to the World Cup.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Sounds pretty good. I hope February & early March games are in the cities with better weather, or indoors.

Only thing, with a more compressed schedule, and more weekday games, it becomes harder to schedule in the Voyageurs and CCL games; plus for TFC home games, leaving gaps for the Argos including field recovery time.

BTW in the season-end interviews, TFC brass noted that in 2018, TFC had some of the worst scheduling of any team, ever. I didn't mention it at the time, but I have to wonder if the Argos also play a role in that. It just makes BMO Field scheduling less flexible. Consider also the additional scheduling demands from the TV networks, and conflicts at other venues, which all play a role.
    I love the home and home playoffs. Big loss if they go

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I love the home and home playoffs. Big loss if they go
    Agreed. The away & home playoff series vs. the Impact in 2016 is probably the all-time favourite sports event of my life.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Agreed. The away & home playoff series vs. the Impact in 2016 is probably the all-time favourite sports event of my life.
    Oh fuckin' yeah! If it were a one and done, our side would have lost to the L'Impact that year.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    Oh fuckin' yeah! If it were a one and done, our side would have lost to the L'Impact that year.
    No. We were the home side, we would have been the host of a single game. We beat them here 3-2 or 5-2, depending on how you look at it.