Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Oh my God people think our league is a joke , I keep hearing this about this league being a joke , but you know what I can also list a whole lot of things that make the NHL a joke or the NFL or MLB or the NBA or the EPL , if you really get picky every league in every sport has things that can make people see it as a joke , the MLS does not hold exclusive rights to being a league that’s considered a joke!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio just scored a header in the 6th minute for Canada against US Virgin Islands.

Canada playing a 2-5-3 formation. Yes, 2 defenders lol
    Last edited by rydermike; 09-09-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Osorio just scored a header in the 6th minute for Canada against US Virgin Islands.

Canada playing a 2-5-3 formation. Yes, 2 defenders lol
    He might have also had a second but unfortunately there isn’t conclusive video evidence. Would have been a lovely goal. He looked very good for the whole match, although the opposition was very weak.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting chart on passes by TFC. 0 is straight ahead

Sorry about the size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Interesting chart on passes by TFC. 0 is straight ahead

Sorry about the size.

Great chart thanks for sharing

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley's pic is interesting - I know he lies back dead centre but he's equidistant and almost equal in frequency to all over what's in front of him for over 1K of passes. That is...impressive.

Then look at Seba, with a couple of to the right differences and slightly shorter distances, he's almost the same in distribution spread.

That's our spine right there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised that hagglund's chart is so similar to Moor's, though it would be more east west like Zav's. Based on the chart you'd think Agar would have had more of am impact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I missing something on these passing charts?
    Are they charting passes completed or passes attempted?
    I also wonder about the term "normalized".

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The colour tells you the average distance when done that angle. The length tells you the % completed where the outer ring is 100%.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, San Jose finally fired their twerp of a head coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Was he really that bad? How much can be laid at the feet of their Head Office or owner?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, their head office is crap.

But, their coach pulled this stunt

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/...s-being-subbed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a prick.

RPB Member
    Away Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw on twitter/reddit about the league discussing the 3rd DP spot. Possibly getting rid of it all together, or putting a cap on how much can be spent on said DP.

Tweet: https://twitter.com/samstejskal/stat...831859712?s=21

For a League who seems determined to match/be better than Liga MX, this would seem like a backwards move.
    Away trips: 2014 - Seattle. 2015 - Montreal. 2016 - Montreal x2. Playoffs - NYCFC, Montreal. 2017 - Salt Lake, Philly, Ottawa, Montreal, Chicago, LA, Atlanta. ​Playoffs - NYRB, Columbus. 2018 ​- Monterrey, MX (Tigres) CCL, Montreal, Ottawa, Montreal. 2019 - ​Philly, Montreal, Seattle (MLS Cup final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joke league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just get rid of all of it and give each team a 35M budget.

No GAM/TAM/SPAM/DP bullshit.
    Last edited by Richard; 09-21-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

THIS!!! If the league ever really wants to be taken serious as a potential top flight league in the world, they must do something with the salary cap. High end talent costs money and for what the league is letting teams pay out, it simply does not cut it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

......keep the 3 DP's and give each team an additional 35M budget.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robbo out at Vancouver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the downfall started here

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No downfall. Vancouver are a cheapskate outfit, he got a ton of success out of that payroll, and developed Davies.

I wish Robbo were the CMNT coach.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robinson did pretty well with an $8.2 Million budget 31% of TFC's budget. I don't understand why he punted Ousted & then brought in Shea and Jaurez who are both pretty useless. He's developed Davies well.

For TFC I don't understand how we can sustain a $26 Million salary budget vs the rest of the league - not for this season's level of performance. Imagine how empty the stands will be if we went back to an average $11-$12 Million budget? Look at NYRB and Columbus at $7.7 and $6.9 Million...consistently competitive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    No downfall. Vancouver are a cheapskate outfit, he got a ton of success out of that payroll, and developed Davies.

I wish Robbo were the CMNT coach.
    Please no. This guy is a one dimensional manager. Everything is about speed and counterattacking. Zero tactical tactical adjustments, constant griping when his stable of dirty players were carded or sent off. He thinks about the midfield of a team like someone who is stuck in the 80s. He probably wouldn’t understand the concept of a victor Vasquez because he doesn’t run really fast or foul people a lot.

Davies handling was good in terms of not throwing a young boy to the wolves (see Henry, Doniel) but in terms of on field assignments was farsical. Should a once in a generation talent commanding a record fee be playing LB with Brek Shea playing in front of him in the midfield? That defies common sense and happened on plenty of occasions this year. One of many oddities.

He’s been rightfully given the boot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am just looking at Twitter reaction.

You will never ever see a bigger range of opinions about a manager.

To the extent there's a consensus, it's that Vancouver haven’t developed talent the way Dallas and NYRB have (which seems to me to be a valid criticism of most of the FOs in the league)
    Last edited by ensco; 09-25-2018 at 04:51 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Please no. This guy is a one dimensional manager. Everything is about speed and counterattacking. Zero tactical tactical adjustments, constant griping when his stable of dirty players were carded or sent off. He thinks about the midfield of a team like someone who is stuck in the 80s. He probably wouldn’t understand the concept of a victor Vasquez because he doesn’t run really fast or foul people a lot.
    To me, everything you need to know about Robinson the manager can be found in one thing he did as a player.

Not once...not ONCE did he take time over a freekick. He HAD to play it quickly, every single damn time. No regard for where the ball was, no regard for the game state, no regard for where players were.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Davies handling was good in terms of not throwing a young boy to the wolves (see Henry, Doniel) but in terms of on field assignments was farsical. Should a once in a generation talent commanding a record fee be playing LB with Brek Shea playing in front of him in the midfield? That defies common sense and happened on plenty of occasions this year. One of many oddities.

He’s been rightfully given the boot.
    Hear hear

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Robinson did pretty well with an $8.2 Million budget 31% of TFC's budget. I don't understand why he punted Ousted & then brought in Shea and Jaurez who are both pretty useless. He's developed Davies well.

For TFC I don't understand how we can sustain a $26 Million salary budget vs the rest of the league - not for this season's level of performance. Imagine how empty the stands will be if we went back to an average $11-$12 Million budget? Look at NYRB and Columbus at $7.7 and $6.9 Million...consistently competitive.
    Definitely some odd personnel decisions over the years at Vancouver. Not sure how many of those were decided by Robbo alone.

"Imagine how empty the stands will be if we went back to an average $11-$12 Million budget?" Not sure how much those different things have to do with each other. TFC's high budget is mostly related to our 3 DPs, and 3 players can only do so much on a footy team. Plus other teams find DPs (and an overall roster) that provide more performance per $. That's a question that TFC FO has to consider as a bunch of TFC contracts expire next year, and players age. Surely TFC could get better performance over time with a lower DP budget if they're careful. Will that get more people in the stands? If they win, probably yes.

Or some teams (e.g. Galaxy) pick their DPs specifically to get bums in seats.

NYRB's performance is great, especially for their budget, but I often see their stands pretty empty, especially if you consider the population in the NY area. I think that has more to do with the location of their stadium; competition from the more conveniently-located NYCFC for the casual footy fan; competition of a million things to do in NY & area; and perhaps their FO isn't too great at selling tickets & building loyalty. BTW perhaps a marquee DP would drive up their salary budget, but help them to sell tickets?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    NYRB's performance is great, especially for their budget, but I often see their stands pretty empty, especially if you consider the population in the NY area. I think that has more to do with the location of their stadium; competition from the more conveniently-located NYCFC for the casual footy fan; competition of a million things to do in NY & area; and perhaps their FO isn't too great at selling tickets & building loyalty. BTW perhaps a marquee DP would drive up their salary budget, but help them to sell tickets?
    Not to mention the team is literally a billboard for a piss flavoured energy drink, which instantly turned off a great deal of MetroStar supporters.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great stadium and competitive team-I could live with red bull sponsorship unless they sponsored the clubs biggest rival as well