Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im astonished at Bono's salary though. The fact we are paying Akinola more than him is crazy

Hasler's was a healthy and deserved raise, Vazquez and Mavinga got significant raises.

Seeing Ager's salary makes me think we are going to see a lot more minutes from him for what we are paying him.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bez put all his eggs in one basket to win ccl and we probs have nothing left for the summer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s how much we are paying him? Yikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    MLS Salary Amounts For Individuals Out

https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide
    My thoughts are that Irwin and Bono's salaries should be swapped, Aketxe is making way too much and Oso is making way too little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ricketts also way too much, even based on last years performance

I expect him to be released at that salary. Good player for the CPL

Aketxe has an insane about of catching up to do at that salary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Aketxe was on like 750 and I was worried. Even worse. He's gonna have to get it going pretty fast to make this worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liga MX to San Antonio?

This is interesting on so many levels

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/c...n-12905236.php
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soooooo many blowhards in sports columnist land. FIFA ain't going to do this.

The more interesting bit is how much Garber has pissed off one of the most stable NBA ownership groups to keep Precourt happy. I get the feeling Precourt's Dad is golf buddies with Kraft.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Liga MX to San Antonio?

Interesting and makes a lot of sense on many levels but wonder what the USSF would have to say on the matter?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Liga MX to San Antonio?

Wow. Not a lot of meat in the article, lots of bile spewed toward MLS. I think this guy has an axe to grind...

If this were to come to bear, would the Liga MX guys all have to get working VISAs in order to play games in San Antonio? I am not sure how this works. I get it that you have to get a VISA (or some kind of papers) to play for a team in their home country, but what about travelling to another country to play there?
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    Wow. Not a lot of meat in the article, lots of bile spewed toward MLS. I think this guy has an axe to grind...

If this were to come to bear, would the Liga MX guys all have to get working VISAs in order to play games in San Antonio? I am not sure how this works. I get it that you have to get a VISA (or some kind of papers) to play for a team in their home country, but what about travelling to another country to play there?
    Think of it as an MLS team in Canada, for all the American and international players you have to get them a visa to work in Canada and in some cases additional paperwork for some to enter the US. Also I could see many of the top US players in Lig MX and beyond being attracted to such a situation of being able to play in the league while having the comfortable of being in the US.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea how real this is, but it makes a ton of sense to me ...

I suspect that anger towards MLS in San Antonio is very real. This is serious business, and it seems like Garber/Abbott change the expansion rules every five minutes.

I suspect that Liga MX sees these MLS expansion fees, and gets stars in their eyes. Don't forget, Liga MX TV ratings in the US are 5x those of MLS.

MLS has tried repeatedly and failed repeatedly to win the hispanic market in the US. It is a huge underserved market. Maybe it is time to try something different.

How is Liga MX in San Antonio that much different than MLS in Toronto, or Swansea in the EPL, or Wellington in the A League, or Vaduz in the Swiss League...?

These situations are popping up everywhere. Someday Celtic and Rangers will go into the English setup.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...eltic-rangers/

The USSF, Concacaf and FIFA will just follow the dough ray me, in the end. There is no big universal point of principle here. Many in the USSF would be thrilled, they are not interested in waiting 25 years for MLS to reach parity with Mexico, they want a better standard of game for USMNT players now.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-16-2018 at 09:10 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difference being CSA is Ok with teams in MLS. USSF isn't going to support this. FIFA is not going to go against that for the sake of LigaMx.

As for Celtic Rangers - both the SFA & the EFA have said never. If the national football governing body doesn't want it, it doesn't happen.

WAAAY more likely - MLS & Liga MX merge in 20 years
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-16-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disagree re nature of USSF/MLS relationship. MLS and USSF are not such natural allies, there are many in USSF who hate how this has evolved. It's all about SUM, which binds them like blood brothers. USSF is a tainted entity with little public support.

There are multiple legal challenges to that setup, if one of those succeeds, all hell breaks loose.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a8237506.html

It's not that farfetched.

I agree re MLS and Liga MX merger endgame. The top 10 teams in both leagues would be much better off playing each other a lot more, than playing Queretaro or Colorado.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what foothold Liga MX would have in San Antonio though. The article suggests that there are a lot of Mexican nationals in San Antonio. If they were already Liga MX fans, would they dump their current team for the San Antonio Liga MX team? Maybe some would, but I would bet the majority would not. Just a thought.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DAZN announced today they have the exclusive TV rights for UEFA Champions League & the Europa League for the next 3 seasons. They will not be sharing with anybody. i.e. No TSN or Sportsnet. Every single game once it reaches the group stage will be available only via streaming on DAZN. They now have La Liga, Seria A, the English Championship, Ligue Une & now all of UEFA.

I think its only a matter of time until TSN decides to separate its streaming service and put TFC on there (like ESPN+).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DAZN announced today they have the exclusive TV rights for UEFA Champions League & the Europa League for the next 3 seasons. They will not be sharing with anybody. i.e. No TSN or Sportsnet. Every single game once it reaches the group stage will be available only via streaming on DAZN. They now have La Liga, Seria A, the English Championship, Ligue Une & now all of UEFA.

I think its only a matter of time until TSN decides to separate its streaming service and put TFC on there (like ESPN+).
    Wow
    Great news for subscribers. But what does this mean for broadcast on television? I'm guessing that it is only streaming rights?

I am loving DAZN. Got it at the start of this past season of Serie A / La Liga. The quality is rock solid.
    Last edited by wopchop; 05-24-2018 at 07:16 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have the exclusive Canadian broadcast rights. No broadcast on TV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much does DAZN cost? And since its streaming does that mean you can only watch it on the computer?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    How much does DAZN cost? And since its streaming does that mean you can only watch it on the computer?
    I have it, I think I paid about $120 for 13 months. Plus a month free because the first NFL broadcast had some problems (for me it was fine). In addition to computers, there are apps for phones, smart tvs & other streaming systems. For example I mostly watch it on my LG TV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I have it, I think I paid about $120 for 13 months. Plus a month free because the first NFL broadcast had some problems (for me it was fine). In addition to computers, there are apps for phones, smart tvs & other streaming systems. For example I mostly watch it on my LG TV.
    Same here - I just cast from my laptop or phone to the big screen and watch from there. It has been good since I picked it up in January.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I watch it on my TV through my Playstation. They have an app in the playstation store. It's excellent imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    who is your provider, if I can ask? Is it one of Bell or Rogers??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watch DAZN with Apple TV, and on my iPad. It works great, and is a must have. There is some interesting soccer on there, not just every game in Serie A and Ligue Un, but lots of English Championship and full J League.

This is amusing. Bell/Rogers bought MLSE to stop any new entrant from ever doing this, figuring that, without any access to hockey, basketball or baseball, this could never work.

But they were wrong, these DAZN guys are simply assembling everything interesting beyond the big three local sports, and given fragmentation, that is a pretty interesting play! If they ever get the Premier League rights, watch out.

This is why Rogers are openly musing about selling their sports businesses.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-25-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ That is interesting if that's the case, although with the presence of Netflix in Canada for films and TV shows, perhaps they should have seen it coming.

I was reading on Twitter yesterday speculation that the rights fees must not be that rich for DAZN to swoop in like this. As the fees are never disclosed, I guess we can never say for sure, but I wonder if it's that, or simply that DAZN is backed by big money. They are already in Germany and Japan, as we know MUCH bigger markets than Canada. Will be entering the US in the fall with boxing being the big enticement, I believe.

Anyhoo, I'm betting that when this CONCACAF/UEFA etc. Nations League starts off in September, DAZN will be in on that too...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
    ^^ That is interesting if that's the case, although with the presence of Netflix in Canada for films and TV shows, perhaps they should have seen it coming.

I was reading on Twitter yesterday speculation that the rights fees must not be that rich for DAZN to swoop in like this. As the fees are never disclosed, I guess we can never say for sure, but I wonder if it's that, or simply that DAZN is backed by big money. They are already in Germany and Japan, as we know MUCH bigger markets than Canada. Will be entering the US in the fall with boxing being the big enticement, I believe.

Anyhoo, I'm betting that when this CONCACAF/UEFA etc. Nations League starts off in September, DAZN will be in on that too...
    The CONCACAF Nations League may already be under TSN's deal that they signed last year (i believe)? But we will find out for sure.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have the exclusive Canadian broadcast rights. No broadcast on TV.
    That's huge.

I was just reading some tweets that they are looking at delivering DAZN to bars / restaurants

The only option remaining for people to watch on TV would be to have BeIn as part of their cable package.

Last edited by wopchop; 05-25-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    That's huge.

I was just reading some tweets that they are looking at delivering DAZN to bars / restaurants

The only option remaining for people to watch on TV would be to have BeIn as part of their cable package.

that would be a good idea.....or at the very least DAZN could sell their broadcast to networks.
    I know that they are already doing this for the upcoming NFL season; they will be allowing Sunday Ticket to broadcast on TV.

Regardless of convenience, etc., nothing beats the quality of a live direct TV broadcast imo....