Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Wow that whole thing was really buried on a Friday when no one was paying attention to MLS. Kreis has kinda bombed out of two teams now post-RSL. Might be a lesson there for coaches who are looking for greener grass. That said, you’re right about Orlando’s patience. They have many of the hallmarks of early TFC I’d say.
    Orlando started off better than TFC. They seemed to have promise at the beginning, but have been trending steadily downward. The coaching turnover is not helping, and they definitely seem to be heading further in the direction of early TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Orlando started off better than TFC. They seemed to have promise at the beginning, but have been trending steadily downward. The coaching turnover is not helping, and they definitely seem to be heading further in the direction of early TFC.
    I really don’t think Orlando will make the playoffs again this year. Have to say, I really like Yoshi Yotun though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One wonders what this will do to attendance down there. I can see their stadium being half full if this instability of theirs continues.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And they lost Larin. Larin with 4 goals in 4 games for Bestikas. He's accomplished more then Altidore's entire euro career (I don't consider Jozy lighting up the Everdise as real euro success)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    And they lost Larin. Larin with 4 goals in 4 games for Bestikas. He's accomplished more then Altidore's entire euro career (I don't consider Jozy lighting up the Everdise as real euro success)
    scoring 4 goals across two games against bottom feeder Turkish teams is in what way more impressive than what Altidore did?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    I've read some god awful shite on this site over the years but this is right up there with the worst.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I've read some god awful shite on this site over the years but this is right up there with the worst.
    Yeah. 31 goals in a season in Holland ... it's like Altidore wasn’t even trying.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those wondering what Jozy does, a decent article by Platt (free to read)

https://tfcreport.com/2018/06/20/joz...nto-fc-injury/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orlando goes with an ex assistant who has done well in USL.

Not the move I expected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_...er,_born_1979)

https://www.louisvillecityfc.com/new...le/show/930764

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/...med-head-coach

Jesse Marsch leaves NYRB. Probably to rumoured caretaker job at RB Leipzig

Chris Armas takes over as new NYRB coach
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liam Fraser is on the MLS Homegrown team for All-Star festivities, they are playing Tigres UANL's U20 team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tenorio does a good article on Michael Bradley.

Its on the Athletic so paywalled.

https://theathletic.com/429604/2018/...chael-bradley/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Tenorio does a good article on Michael Bradley.

Its on the Athletic so paywalled.

https://theathletic.com/429604/2018/...chael-bradley/

unable to access article, anyone care to share bits of the article please?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He does a day with him.

Family

thoughts of his wife on things
    lunch
    memories of USMNT failure
    watching early round games
    coaching his 5 year old
    esspresso run & a discussion with a local who he met there & happens to be a fan who was also in Atlanta last year

To me, the Athletic is worth my $50 a year - some really good writers there now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Atlantic is crushing it here in Detroit with their local bureau beat writers. Really some of the best sports writing I've seen.

edit: of course that should be "Atlethic" not "Atlantic"
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 07-25-2018 at 10:00 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paywalled again because its the Atlantic but this is a really good interview with the Loons owner. https://theathletic.com/442516/2018/...ion-interview/

Guy started watching soccer in 2012. Watches lots of league to see what fans do & teams do to compete - name checks Galatasary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done deal:

Kristian Jack
    Kristian Jack
    @KristianJack
    Alphonso Davies to Bayern Munich is a done deal. Fee is around 13 million euros with substantial add ons that could make the entire package worth a record $20 million. Davies will remain with the Whitecaps for the rest of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty amazing, definitely a landmark moment in Canadian soccer. Hopefully the kid can live up to the hype.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope we find some other kids like him in this country. One day I hope the days of guys picking ancestral homelands is behind us. We've lost far too many over the years to other teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that Osorio is in a similar class to Davies. Alphonso has the potential to replace Arjen Robben..he is that good. Osorio has achieved a whole lot more than Davies..has had a season better than anything that Davies has produced. There really should be a pile of European teams looking to sign him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    I think that Osorio is in a similar class to Davies. Alphonso has the potential to replace Arjen Robben..he is that good. Osorio has achieved a whole lot more than Davies..has had a season better than anything that Davies has produced. There really should be a pile of European teams looking to sign him.
    I love Osorio but Davies is 17 dude. What he's doing at that age is unprecedented in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oso is 10 years too old. Oso was also not doing what Davies is doing at 15, 16 or 17.

This is a long term buy for Bayern. Key player in 3-5 years. Possibly sell off to top 4 EPL or la Liga team if Davies becomes a superstar.

Earlier this year, German journalist Christoph Biermann published a book titled Matchplan. In it, Biermann pointed out that Davies was, statistically, the most likely prospect in the world to become a superstar in the mold of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. The book was a major success in Germany and put Davies on the map among clubs in the Bundesliga.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God, let's hope Canadian soccer develops the talent that can surround Davies for the CMNT in international play.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr k View Post
    Oso is 10 years too old. Oso was also not doing what Davies is doing at 15, 16 or 17.

This is a long term buy for Bayern. Key player in 3-5 years. Possibly sell off to top 4 EPL or la Liga team if Davies becomes a superstar.

Earlier this year, German journalist Christoph Biermann published a book titled Matchplan. In it, Biermann pointed out that Davies was, statistically, the most likely prospect in the world to become a superstar in the mold of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. The book was a major success in Germany and put Davies on the map among clubs in the Bundesliga.
    Interesting. Bayern M, among others, has significantly stepped up commercial and scouting activity in North America in the last few years. They have made a strategic commitment. That's good news for young players, knowing that chances they will get noticed are improving.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The TFC August schedule

4th - @ Atlanta
    8th - @ Vancouver
    12th - vs. NYCFC
    15th - vs. Vancouver
    18th @ SJE
    25th vs. Montreal
    29th @ Portland

3 west coast road trips in 3 weeks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    It doesn’t work this way. It isn’t about what you've done, it's about your ceiling, and your age.

At 26, Oso almost certainly is what he is. Davies, who knows?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The TFC August schedule

4th - @ Atlanta
    8th - @ Vancouver
    12th - vs. NYCFC
    15th - vs. Vancouver
    18th @ SJE
    25th vs. Montreal
    29th @ Portland

3 west coast road trips in 3 weeks.
    the schedule didn't seem that bad but now with the VC games added in its downright ugly, not just the 3 trips but the compression as well. Wish we could flip the order of the vancouver games

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    the schedule didn't seem that bad but now with the VC games added in its downright ugly, not just the 3 trips but the compression as well. Wish we could flip the order of the vancouver games
    Yeah with those three west coast trips we are really going to see some squad rotation for sure.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Circus that surrounds the Impact:

French striker Jimmy Briand will not join the Montreal Impact as it was originally planned. Briand did not want to sign the MLS contract according to the terms negotiated and accepted by himself and his agent. Important additional requests by the Briand side at the last minute made the signing fall through. The Impact now directs its efforts towards other players to continue to improve the squad before the end of the international transfer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Shades of us with Tal Ben Haim.

This is why you don't announce acquisitions before the player has actually put pen to paper.