Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don’t know if it’s been posted yet but a major announcement is coming this Tuesday in Cincinnati a big press conference is being set regarding Cincinnati and MLS, looks like Cincinnati will be announced as an MLS expansion team. Moreover , they are saying they will start next season. A new soccer stadium has more or less been approved but they will play next season where they have been playing the pst few seasons at Nippert Stadium which fits about 30000 and where Cincinnati has been averaging around 24000 more or less a game the past few seasons playing in the USL. I’ve seen highlights of Cincinnati playing at Nippert Stadium with their big crowds and I must say Nippert Stadium looks like a great place to watch a soccer game even if it was built for the other version of football. Cincinnati really diserves an MLS team with their amazing crowds they have been getting playing in the USL getting crowds better than a lot of MLS teams, and it will be a great place for a road game much better than Columbus especially going into a jammed packed stadium instead of Columbus where whenever I’ve gone the place was always empty.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 05-27-2018 at 10:21 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The name though

Fussbal Club Cincinnati

I get there is a LONG history of German soccer in both Canada & the US, going back over 100 years but most people won't have a clue. At least give it an umlaut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The name though

Fussbal Club Cincinnati

I get there is a LONG history of German soccer in both Canada & the US, going back over 100 years but most people won't have a clue. At least give it an umlaut.
    If that name will stay, man... that's an incredibly bad name for a MLS club.
    Seriously, something worst than that can be just something like "Cincinnati Donald Ducks".

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    who is your provider, if I can ask? Is it one of Bell or Rogers??
    I'm with start.ca cable Internet service, last mile via Rogers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The name though

Fussbal Club Cincinnati

A couple of things. Luckily Cincinnati doesn't spell it Fussbal Club, that would be embarrassing, it's Fussball. Why umlaut? That doesn't fit.

I don't know if it's a great idea either. But 90% will just know it as FC Cincinnati which almost everyone will understand. The "insiders" can get into the oddity of the full name.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s only because we are used to it that we never think about Real Salt Lake, the unattainable gold standard of absurdity.

(The Utah Jazz being the second dumbest name in sports.)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It’s only because we are used to it that we never think about Real Salt Lake, the unattainable gold standard of absurdity.

(The Utah Jazz being the second dumbest name in sports.)
    How about a hockey team being Ducks? Disney's fault, and one of the worst team names ever.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    How about a hockey team being Ducks? Disney's fault, and one of the worst team names ever.
    See Im not against this one. I kind of liked when it was the Mighty Ducks. It rolled off the tongue well.

However, the NBA does have some terrible ones. The Pelicans? I'll even give shots at the Lakers.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Raptors are also right up there.

My personal favourite was a short lived WHA team of my youth, the Miami Screaming Eagles.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rumour at the time was the poll of fans wanted the Toronto Dragons but Bitove wanted something more trendy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The name though

Fussbal Club Cincinnati

Fun fact: Cincinnati plays host to biggest Okterberfest festival in the US. So more specifically, it's perhaps Cincinnati's historically large German-American population that is playing a role here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rumour at the time was the poll of fans wanted the Toronto Dragons but Bitove wanted something more trendy.
    Yes, I remember those polls!! The best one: the Globe And Mail poll with most popular name turning out to be the Toronto - ahem - Beavers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I'm with start.ca cable Internet service, last mile via Rogers.
    Ok reason I ask is because it seems as though everyone who isn't with Bell/Rogers have no problems with DAZN, and only people who are with them do....
    Now, a couple of months ago when we were having another DAZN discussion, someone here presented a theory that the big 2 may have somehow been purposely messing up the speed that their streams came through.
    Pretty sure there would be some serious legal implications if this was true, but it makes you think....a little....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono starts for the USMNT B+ team tonight against the Bolivian C team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's official. FC Cincinnati is the newest expansion team and will begin MLS play in 2019. To play at Nippert stadium until 2021 when their own stadium is complete. No word if there will be expansion draft or not. Hopefully not since they already have a decent usl team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    It's official. FC Cincinnati is the newest expansion team and will begin MLS play in 2019. To play at Nippert stadium until 2021 when their own stadium is complete. No word if there will be expansion draft or not. Hopefully not since they already have a decent usl team.
    I am sure there will be another friggin expansion draft. They won’t want to miss the opportunity to possibly get a couple MLS upgrades to their USL roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    I am almost certain they will. Don't forget Minnesota had a decent USL team and they took part in an expansion draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What will be interesting will be where they fit in conference wise for the upcoming season. Obviously for 2019, Cincinnati will be in the East, however based on Garber's comments at the FCC launch yesterday, Columbus is as good as gone for Austin at the end of the season - which "should" shift them to the West to join the other Texas based teams. I wonder if MLS would keep the Austin Crew in the East for 2019 and move them to the West when Miami and Nashville join in 2020 - who would both be Eastern teams?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't know that the Crew are gone yet. What I do know is that if the Crew stay, then Detroit will not be getting a franchise.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chicago will need to go to the west as part of this I think.

That makes the most long run sense, put them with Minnesota and KC, plus RSL and Colorado need them more than DCU or NYRB (or whoever you think their eastern “rivals are) do

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure Cinci & Nashville will be together & Nashville vs. Atlanta is a southern natural rivalry.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    We don't know that the Crew are gone yet. What I do know is that if the Crew stay, then Detroit will not be getting a franchise.
    And, if that's the case, then they'll have nobody to blame but themselves for insisting Ford Field would be a viable stadium for MLS. If they had stuck with building an MLS friendly stadium of 20,000-25,000 on the old proposed downtown jail site, they would have been given an expansion franchise long by now. Having a shit ton full of money in ownership behind you, with Gilbert, Gores, and the Ford family, doesn't mean Jack Fucking Squat if you don't have a stadium plan to MLS's liking. And Ford Field ain't it!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC's championship rings are beautiful:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mlse...-rings/sn-amp/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 rings!

I feel like I deserve one, if there are that many out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't taken mine off since I got it. About 170 diamonds short tho

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN finally bites into the on demand service option.

$24.99 a month

https://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/th...subscriptions/

The next step is streaming only programming -they'll go there once they see if ESPN + is working out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vieira and entire staff leave NYCFC for Nice.
    https://www.mancity.com/news/first-t...c-nice-leaving

Garber can’t be too pleased by this.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Vieira and entire staff leave NYCFC for Nice.
    https://www.mancity.com/news/first-t...c-nice-leaving

Garber can’t be too pleased by this.
    Link broken, but here is a Goal article: https://www.google.ca/amp/www.goal.c...91egfbm9spdlv5

As an OGC Nice fan, I'm happy to see this. As a TFC supporter I'm really happy to see this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man city put it out first.

Then Man City pulled the article.

Still nothing out by NYC or Nice officially.

Seems somebody in Manchester got ahead of themselves.