Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS issues further sanctions to TFC/NYRB for tunnel fight

Klejstan got an additional game suspension (now 2 games) as well as being fined. Jesse Marsch also fined

TFC and the Red Bulls also fined.

Altidore and Osorio also fined for simulation(diving).

https://www.thescore.com/mls/news/14...-confrontation

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm sure uncle Larry T will pay for the fines since Jozy scored the eastern conference and mls cup winning goals

suck it new jersey red bulls
    06-18-09 i was there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS referee system continues to be a joke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    MLS referee system continues to be a joke
    After seeing many of the referee related controversies in the Prem these last few days, it seems to be chronic problem in the game right now. Can't speak of the situation in all the European top flights, but not sure any FA is getting it right regarding reffing. Not sure what needs to be done, seems like there needs to be some broad based, IFAB level solutions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    After seeing many of the referee related controversies in the Prem these last few days, it seems to be chronic problem in the game right now. Can't speak of the situation in all the European top flights, but not sure any FA is getting it right regarding reffing. Not sure what needs to be done, seems like there needs to be some broad based, IFAB level solutions.
    The penalty against arsenal and the lack of penalty against man utd proved that the prem needs VAR, although in my opinion the sport was fine without it before the days where every blade of grass had a camera pointed at it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    The penalty against arsenal and the lack of penalty against man utd proved that the prem needs VAR, although in my opinion the sport was fine without it before the days where every blade of grass had a camera pointed at it
    will they review and fine in 47 days.

theres no lesson a small fine can offer 47 days later

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proving the oxymoronic regard for VAR.

So many supporters hate the concept that the league needs it but wants the quality level up.

Not a dig. Just observation. Viewers are allowed to hate bad calls and still not want VAR. It just means improvement will be more difficult than with big brother making the call.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where every blade of grass had a camera pointed at it
    We are so use to instant replay where we see if the skate blade or puck has crossed a line... down to the millimeter, or whether a tennis ball is in or out... down to the millimeter, or if the ball was in the fielders glove before the runner touched the bag... down to the millimeter. You look so microscopically to find whether the call on the field was right or wrong.

MLS VAR IS NOT LIKE THAT. I think that's the critical point here that soccer fans in North America just aren't getting (I'm not necessarily referring to you, but comments vocal and in writing throughout North America).

VAR is not about getting the call on the field right or wrong, per se. It's about fixing what could have been blatantly obvious errors or entirely missed calls (say a foul behind the scenes where no one is looking as one example). VAR does not look down to the last millimeter.

Was Osorio's goal vs NYRB legit? Doesn't matter.
    Was Jozy's goal vs Seattle legit? Doesn't matter.

Both might have been inaccurate calls (down to the millimeter), but neither were obscenely or grotesquely and obvious errors. If people have to go into replay, draw up a bunch of fake yellow lines on the screen to show where the real onside/offside line should be... then the situation is almost certainly at a point where it's a "somewhat close call", therefore call could have gone either way, therefore not a clear and obvious error, therefore no replay.

1. Soccer fans need to understand VAR is not like replay in other major North America sports.
    2. see point 1.
    3. can't stress enough, see point 1.
    4. Perhaps the system should be changed to be more like the other review systems. That is a different question to be addressed. As is, it is not that, and we live by those rules.

EDIT: Aaaaand... I'm just re-reading my post had nothing to do with the extra fines/penalties for the tunnel incident. Sorry about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A counterpoint: I heard a pundit raise an interesting thought regarding these missed ref calls. Some, perhaps most of our knowledge of these errors is due to the enhanced multi-camera tv coverage. Absent that (ie, the "olden days") viewers - at home and in the stadium - might suspect errors or perhaps catch real howlers, but it wasn't possible to know for sure. There is a general feeling that quality of reffing has declined but some of that might be our ability to pick apart more thoroughly what they do.

Relevant for the tunnel incident too, the number of cameras all around give a lot more exposure to things that likely happened in abundance in the past but were not revealed and therefore could be handled in different ways.