Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A few ideas from an non-RPB

First and foremost, I don't want to come across as stepping on any toes.. I'm just a die hard day 1 TFC fan with some ideas. They are not designed to defend anyone or any supporter group.

1. The south end is made up of 4/5 supporter groups. Has there ever been, or are there plans to, unify the entire south end into one amalgamation of support? - wouldnt all the groups singing the same songs in unison behind 1 capo be a lot more effective than the each group individually starting chants - essentially drowning each other out? - again, I don't know if there are politics behind the scenes, I understand RPB and inebriatti see things a little different but the greater good would be a unified south end. - i've had the privilege of standing in the south end on many occasions and this is just one of my observations.

2. so this is a little bit more of an outside the box idea. often when i score tickets i end up in the upper bowl or outside the south end, and i end up beign the only one chanting in my section. i try to keep an ear on what the south end is doing, and then catch on to chants. sometimes people in my section begin to follow. (the easy ones- tfc clap clap clap, tfc tor ont ohhh, sebastian giovinco etc). but have any supporters groups ever had the idea to place a capo in every section, to lead each section in unison with whats happenining in the south end? the way i see it is that people want the tfc experience (typing that makes me nauseous), maybe placing a capo in each section can facilitate that?

thoughts?

also... how far have we come? we used to end the season talking about who should replace the coach!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey,

No worries about the question...

1. There will never be one unified Group. Too many politics and different/conflicting ways of supporting. I can’t even think of one team in MLS and or Latin America that only has 1 supporter group. If there is one the team is probably on it’s last leg. Best I’ve seen is all under one umbrella and the different SG’s
    representing that umbrella... think NATO

2. If everyone accepted capos that would be great, however that’s not the case. You have ppl that want Chanting in small doses, some +90 and jumping, some none at all. Hence the designated supporters section.

Hope this helps understanding further
    Last edited by FluSH; 12-19-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full fledged singing in the stadium on a regular basis will never happen. Using the UK as my reference base, there are only a couple stadiums I can think of off hand that still have the whole stadium standing and singing...scratch that one, Celtic Park. Sad times in the modern game in terms of support.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For point #2. I'm in 109. There are a few of us that sing all game. We sit, but we are engaged. The pocket around us is growing and hit helps that the drum is in the top of 110. I would recommend that if you want a better in game experience but can't get into the south, try to get into 110 or 109. 108 might even work, but getting further away it will get quieter.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Originally there was RPB, U-Sector and Tribal Rhythm nation.
    Now there is RPB, U-Sector, Tribal Rhythm Nation, Original 109, Inebriatii, Kings of the north and probably another half dozen other groups of people who call themselves something or another.

Getting everyone into 1 group isn't going to happen. At least not this generation of supporters. Maybe in like 20-30 years after the current generation of grumps has moved on, but it won't happen for reasons @Flush mentioned above.

As for the Capo idea - Not a fan of it. I'm especially not a fan of the club trying to put chants on the big screen or having Cheerleaders, or Cheer squads, or Chant posses or whatever lame term they come up with throughout the stadium.

We tried co-ordinating section 110 with section 112 and it never worked. they were never in sync - we tried hand gestures and megaphones and I think at one point people were toying with radio communications. we never got it to work - now try coordinating the south with a section even further than 110 and we'll see how that goes.

At the end of the day the only way to get the whole stadium involved is for it to grow outwards from the south - that means section 111 and 110 need to be synced in order for 109 to be on the same page in order for 108 to be on the same etc etc.

As for getting the upper decks involved - that's even harder cos you need people in the front rows to be on board and they are the ones who would start to carry the chants upwards into the rest of the deck.

it does happen in the stadium every so often - there are a couple chants that have carried - Viking Clap, TFC Clap clap clap; and there's another that's not coming to mind, but I heard people in 108 getting on board with it. (Oh I remember - it's the back and forth chant between group - "oooh ooh ooooooh T.O")

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in Lower 110 (a few rows before the supporters section officially start) and it is usually pretty lively. Although not always. Sometimes everyone is sitting but maybe a bit more often everyone is standing. It has definitely trended more towards constant standing in the last three years. Playoffs and Cup have all been all standing.

The drum above us helps a lot. But to be honest, a capo at the bottom of 111 or 110 could probably help too, but it depends a lot on the people at the bottom of the section and if they can coordinate with 112. Did there used to be one down there? I can't remember.
    Last edited by wopchop; 12-20-2017 at 12:51 PM.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No capo down there as far as I remember. The problem is that lower 110 is not "designated" supporter so I don't think a capo would be welcome. 111 could work though. Best would be a capo mid way in 110 that can see Fizik and work with Lintberg / other drummers at the top.

It is pretty good though and gets us 109'ers going.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheers for the thoughts guys.. just some ideas i've had... once again, not designed to step on anyones toes!

haha i guess seeing us finally have glory is giving me ideas of the future.. would love to see the whole stadium on their feets singing for 90 minutes.. some day!

Come on you reds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Timers Army in Portland?

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    Hey,

No worries about the question...

1. There will never be one unified Group. Too many politics and different/conflicting ways of supporting. I can’t even think of one team in MLS and or Latin America that only has 1 supporter group. If there is one the team is probably on it’s last leg. Best I’ve seen is all under one umbrella and the different SG’s
    representing that umbrella... think NATO

2. If everyone accepted capos that would be great, however that’s not the case. You have ppl that want Chanting in small doses, some +90 and jumping, some none at all. Hence the designated supporters section.

Hope this helps understanding further

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BramptonRed View Post
    wouldnt all the groups singing the same songs in unison behind 1 capo be a lot more effective than the each group individually starting chants - essentially drowning each other out?
    Sitting in 111 we have a great view of both RPB's and Inebriatti. There are numerous times during the game where we sing in unison or back and forth. The problem I see is that the folks in between these two groups (113 and 114) don't appear to be as vocal and it loses impact.

I agree that the unique cultures between the differing groups is apparent, and it's a great thing and should be kept. However a south-end singing in unison at certain points in the game would be stella, and LOUD!

Just my 2c. Keep up the great work everyone.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    The Timers Army in Portland?
    No,they are umbrela

The Timbers Army is composed of several different subgroups. These subgroups are unique in their own fashion and consist of many different personalities. However, all subgroups fall under the Timbers Army umbrella. Many of the subgroups produce their own special apparel and other items while the proceeds go directly back to Timbers Army causes.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=flambe;1857954]Sitting in 111 we have a great view of both RPB's and Inebriatti. There are numerous times during the game where we sing in unison or back and forth. The problem I see is that the folks in between these two groups (113 and 114) don't appear to be as vocal and it loses impact.QUOTE]

That would be the result of a league and front office that in the first 2 years killed the atmosphere in those sections with dumb rules and sanctions, (yet using every cool image for marketing purposes) that drove the hardcore support away only to be replaced with tourists and season tickets bought up by scalpers. The atmosphere never really recovered from that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreekAce View Post
    That would be the result of a league and front office that in the first 2 years killed the atmosphere in those sections with dumb rules and sanctions, (yet using every cool image for marketing purposes) that drove the hardcore support away only to be replaced with tourists and season tickets bought up by scalpers. The atmosphere never really recovered from that.
    Didn't realize that was the root cause, thanks for sharing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The root cause is people creating supporters groups and having an us vs them mentality. They all hate on each other because of a few differences in how you should support. This then leads to the top brass of every SG becoming very cliquey and judging everyone else in the stadium. The result is a frankenstein of an atmosphere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flambe View Post
    Sitting in 111 we have a great view of both RPB's and Inebriatti. There are numerous times during the game where we sing in unison or back and forth. The problem I see is that the folks in between these two groups (113 and 114) don't appear to be as vocal and it loses impact.

I agree that the unique cultures between the differing groups is apparent, and it's a great thing and should be kept. However a south-end singing in unison at certain points in the game would be stella, and LOUD!

Just my 2c. Keep up the great work everyone.

U-sector has just disappeared and they are really killing the atmosphere in the south.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    No capo down there as far as I remember. The problem is that lower 110 is not "designated" supporter so I don't think a capo would be welcome. 111 could work though. Best would be a capo mid way in 110 that can see Fizik and work with Lintberg / other drummers at the top.

It is pretty good though and gets us 109'ers going.

No thanks. You will get huge resistance from people in that section for this. I've been sitting there since year 1 and no one wants a Capo in their face blocking the match view.

RPB Member
    Membership Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    No thanks. You will get huge resistance from people in that section for this. I've been sitting there since year 1 and no one wants a Capo in their face blocking the match view.
    Another Capo nearby...maybe closer to the top of 111/110 would be great to assist us!!
    Sometimes it proves really difficult to get 110/109 going single handed (or with a small handful of RPB up by the drums with us)
    Official Member of the Montreal Miracle Crew 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccer Mum View Post
    U-sector has just disappeared and they are really killing the atmosphere in the south.
    don't be so dramatic. there's plenty of people in 113 that still sing every game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreekAce View Post
    don't be so dramatic. there's plenty of people in 113 that still sing every game.
    I’m quite certain that is Kenny... from way back in the day. If not, same Modus Operandi as Kenny. Disliking all organized support/SG’s.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest TRN drains the supprter groups everytime we get into unison there drums throw everyone offz P.s ive been in multiple sections at BMO and i think maybe they should stop at half time or something just a thought..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The drum in 110 is frequently off beat, it was better this year but it kills the momentum. Frequently I'd have to give up on a chant half way though because the timing was off with the south end.

As for a united south stand... aside from the separate affiliations, MLSE sells loads of tickets to scalpers and there's little they will do to claim them back. That right there is the single biggest hindrance.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.O TILL I DIE View Post
    To be honest TRN drains the supprter groups everytime we get into unison there drums throw everyone offz P.s ive been in multiple sections at BMO and i think maybe they should stop at half time or something just a thought..

Funny thing is TRN was the first supporters group I was ever exposed too as my tickets for the first couple TFC home games was in 119 so the steel drums will forever have soft spot in my heart.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Funny thing is TRN was the first supporters group I was ever exposed too as my tickets for the first couple TFC home games was in 119 so the steel drums will forever have soft spot in my heart.
    im up in 224 and TRN drives me crazy even that distance away. I don’t know how the folks in the south end can stand it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are by far a huge nuisance and extremely annoying.
    They just make random noise which doesn't sync with any of the chants. I can barely hear Kings from 115 due to them.
    They really need to be moved to opposite end of stadium.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    They are by far a huge nuisance and extremely annoying.
    They just make random noise which doesn't sync with any of the chants. I can barely hear Kings from 115 due to them.
    They really need to be moved to opposite end of stadium.
    I would definitely be in favour of them relocating to the north end.
    I'm in 114, and too often I hear them more than the singing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noticed this quite regularly during the playoffs. Spent some time in 120 and I don't think the section that they are 'allocated' actually sings or participates with them.

I think TRN is truly a relict of the past, that should be moved to the pastures of the north patio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 120 we have seen things coming across get drowned out by the drums. Once in a while they do get something right either starting something on their own or punctuating another groups chants - when it happens it's nice but I don't think it makes up for the rest.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TRN only shows up to 1/3 of the games but when they do..they are freaking annoying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's funny.

I joined RPB because they said "yes" the most and were the least angry of the supporter groups. I still believe that's true. I'm glad other groups have their thing going but it would be hard for me to go their route just as many of them were born out of not wanting to go ours.

We are in a honeymoon now a bit so I admire this thread and efforts to work together, but to a certain extent this will be this generation's "peak" together.

From the top of 112, you can hear how the dead spots in 113 wreck the sync up (which is a shame because the 113 capo works his ass off) and the drum often drowns the singing. Combine that with certain songs which some groups wont sing and it is what it is.

As for your second point. By and large our songs that are good, get sung. We need to be better at coming with catchy stuff which engages everyone. Think, if a supporter cant be bothered to sing it, what will the guy in 207 think.
    Last edited by Red4ever; 12-24-2017 at 11:56 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please don't put TRN in the north. I'm in section 226. Since the roof is in place, we can often hear the south end fairly well. It brings some energy into our area, and lets some chants spread, especially the thunder clap. TRN in the north end, would totally drown out the south end and kill the atmosphere.

It's a tough one, I don't know what to suggest. Maybe put TRN behind the away supporters section.