Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I'm guessing this means Rogers will now carry some CFL games.

I have little doubt this will hilariously characterized as more consumer choice at the CRTC.
    Yes, Canadian Content, especially with the Halifax franchise on the horizon.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    Not another Argos thread...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos are apparently trying to get a long term lease for the old Don Bosco High School in Rexdale for a practice facility so Tfc should have Downsview for themselves

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    I think it's fairly irrelevant.
    Maybe they build the argos some offices/permanent locker room at Kia training ground for practice.
    Otherwise we have some minor signage at bmo already for argos, and does anyone really notice it?
    I was really skeptical about the field, and it seemed much better for the final this year compared to last,
    I imagine the argos will be alot like the Marlies including the free tickets that we will likely get now.
    Football fans in toronto want to see Tom brady, not Ricky ray, or the nameless qbs on every other team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see them selling MLSE, because those teams are basically free media content for their networks and websites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    They already effectively owned them through Bell and Tannenbaum. This just looks like some organizational reshuffling as opposed to a takeover. Not sure what this means for either our future or theirs, if it means anything at all.
    Agreed. I don't think much is going to change from a TFC perspective. The only thing I see changing from an Argos perspective is better front office management. I'm 98.5% sure the Argos didn't have a parade this year because the Argos front office didn't file the paperwork with the city on time.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I don't see them selling MLSE, because those teams are basically free media content for their networks and websites.
    Exactly. That's also why they want their teams to win, playoffs build viewership (Teachers Pension Plan could not have cared less when they owned MLSE. If they buy the Jays, there won't be a World Series in the 6ix until they divest).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not crazy about the Argo's at BMO. Not at all. But what can we do. Lets just worry about growing our club in every way.

I am not anti-Argo at all. I no longer watch North American Football, but if I do, it is CFL. I appreciate the Argo's tradition in this city, and would like them to do well, but I do not think that sharing BMO with us is good for them, they need their own stadium to become their own fortress, BMO will always be red.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been thinking about this. Together with the Rogers statements about their sports businesses last week, this announcement is very meaningful.
    Very interesting analysis. Just wondering though, isn't the situation for Rogers/Blue Jays quite different than for MLSE?

The Blue Jays play in a league with no hard salary cap, with a tough road to the playoffs in the AL East unless you spend a ton of money. They're in a huge, anachronistic, white-elephant stadium that needs expensive upgrades. Fan support also seems quite fickle.

MLSE plays in all salary-cap leagues; venues reasonably up-to-date; and has a variety of revenue streams incl. venue management, real estate, various Real Sports ventures, etc. OK they've spent lots on players (& coaches/mgmt.) on various teams recently. I'm just guessing that the overall margins for MLSE are much better over time.

But sure, everything is likely in play for the right price. Cleaning up the Argos situation might help. (But I guess the Argos are big money-losers overall, outside of their importance to stay alive for CFL and TSN??) I never guessed that Bogers would be in this as long as they have been.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 12-14-2017 at 01:20 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But Rogers had to pay A TON for NHL broadcast rights, and is apparently taking a bath on it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jays will be next,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    I think it's fairly irrelevant.
    Maybe they build the argos some offices/permanent locker room at Kia training ground for practice.
    Otherwise we have some minor signage at bmo already for argos, and does anyone really notice it?
    I was really skeptical about the field, and it seemed much better for the final this year compared to last,
    I imagine the argos will be alot like the Marlies including the free tickets that we will likely get now.
    Football fans in toronto want to see Tom brady, not Ricky ray, or the nameless qbs on every other team.
    They moved out of KTG. Not coming back there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not free. There's the cost of capital, which is hundreds of millions a year in this case. You could do something else with the $4 billion.

You either rent it or you own it. What the Rogers CFO was saying to analysts last week is that he thinks you can rent it.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Argos are apparently trying to get a long term lease for the old Don Bosco High School in Rexdale for a practice facility so Tfc should have Downsview for themselves
    The Argos have a large banner at the entrance to Don Bosco. They are surely going to stay put at that highschool.

Still can't wrap my head around Rogers agreeing to take in the Argos when they are ready to offload the Jays. Even though they stated they will still renovate Skydome...something is surely going on.

MLSE may just split up the teams and sell them off to various buyers as a package. Raps and Leafs (both at ACC) and TFC and Argos (both at BMO).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    No. The safe standing will be Bundesliga style, with seats that can be folded down. For Argos games they will be down.
    can i fold them down for half time. im not 90 min fit anymore

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos schedule for 2018 is out, much more consistent this year with 7 Saturdays, 1 Friday and a Thursday. Also it's nicely spread out. Should benefit them.

https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/12/14/...2018-schedule/

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont like this at all. Obviously this deal was done a few months ago not just over night. That's why Bill Manning made an announcement about future renovation. I'm afraid the safe standing zone will have foldable blue seats plus the north side would be completely blue since Argos are now actually sharing the stadium as a primary tenant. I dont understand why BMO only gets renovated when some deal is done with CFL.

Argos didnt have a parade because of lack of support. I think it was 100th graycup when they had one, it was just regular people working in downtown who stood around watched them. How much more popular soccer has to be in Toronto to have it's own stadium. How is the schedule out? I thought they have to work around TFC. What'll happen when MLS keeps adding teams? TFC will have at least 2 more home games this year.

Pitch wasn't in a good shape for Crew game on Nov 29, you could see some lines. I am sick and tired of being worried about ARGOS, never knew about them for 20 some years. I am tired of being worried about TFC's future stadium. If anything major changes like blue seats, I am not buying season tickets.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Duelfuel View Post
    Yes, Canadian Content, especially with the Halifax franchise on the horizon.

Bahahahaha

How did you post this from 90's?

I guess horizons are relative?

Good luck on expansion, tho.

BBTBB

Bring Back The Balmy Beach
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting thread.

I didn't go to a single Argos game at Rogers Centre. The experience at BMO is great, albeit too big for them. But they aren't moving.

All that being said, it's the league that's suffering not the Argos. I watch way less CFL as it's no longer a CBC property and thus I have to buy cable to watch it. The best thing the CFL could do is jump back in bed with CBC in 2021 when everyone has cut the cord.

Shit by then Trudeau will be running for a third term and will be shoring up CBC funding anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir FC View Post
    I dont like this at all. Obviously this deal was done a few months ago not just over night. That's why Bill Manning made an announcement about future renovation. I'm afraid the safe standing zone will have foldable blue seats plus the north side would be completely blue since Argos are now actually sharing the stadium as a primary tenant. I dont understand why BMO only gets renovated when some deal is done with CFL.

Argos didnt have a parade because of lack of support. I think it was 100th graycup when they had one, it was just regular people working in downtown who stood around watched them. How much more popular soccer has to be in Toronto to have it's own stadium. How is the schedule out? I thought they have to work around TFC. What'll happen when MLS keeps adding teams? TFC will have at least 2 more home games this year.

Pitch wasn't in a good shape for Crew game on Nov 29, you could see some lines. I am sick and tired of being worried about ARGOS, never knew about them for 20 some years. I am tired of being worried about TFC's future stadium. If anything major changes like blue seats, I am not buying season tickets.
    There's no way they do blue seats in some sections and keep red in others. Would look so bad. I think it will be business as usual. The schedule for the CFL being released already is surprising though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    There's no way they do blue seats in some sections and keep red in others. Would look so bad. I think it will be business as usual. The schedule for the CFL being released already is surprising though.
    I'm sure the MLS schedule is already set as well. It just hasn't been released. Changes can always be made to their schedule. Plus with the world cup MLS will be off for the group stage.

CFL has extended the time off between games as well. I suppose they figure it will minimize the CTE damage.

The CFL will be in trouble when the next set of data comes out and they will not be able to deny it.

I smell the payout to past players will end up killing the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there is at least a week between Argos and TFC games next year, I don't think we'll even be talking about the pitch anymore.

But when playoff time comes ... that's when it could get dicey.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Globe columnist argues that this happened .... because it's what the Bell CEO wanted. (Because that's how Rogers makes decisions - they call up Bell and ask what they want!)
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle37337507/

I had another thought this morning - the Rogers did this as a gesture, to lower the temperature on the MLSE board and to improve the chances that MLSE will buy the Jays. But that assumes that Bell likes the current sports ownership strategy. I have serious doubts about that.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Globe columnist argues that this happened .... because it's what the Bell CEO wanted. (Because that's how Rogers makes decisions - they call up Bell and ask what they want!)
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle37337507/

I had another thought this morning - the Rogers did this as a gesture, to lower the temperature on the MLSE board and to improve the chances that MLSE will buy the Jays. But that assumes that Bell likes the current sports ownership strategy. I have serious doubts about that.
    MLSE can’t buy the Jays as it’s a corporation. It has to be a single individual same as the NFL. The majority owner needs to be an individual. The only way around it possibly would be that Larry T buys 51% of the Jays and MLSE covers the balance. I don’t know the rules if that is even possible.

Rogers bought the Jays prior to the rules being changed, so I’m not sure if MLB would make a concession to approve a sale to MLSE.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    MLSE can’t buy the Jays as it’s a corporation. It has to be a single individual same as the NFL. The majority owner needs to be an individual. The only way around it possibly would be that Larry T buys 51% of the Jays and MLSE covers the balance. I don’t know the rules if that is even possible.
    I know in business it is possible for a party to go into a merger with another party and still maintain controlling interest in the merged company while not having to come up with the majority of the cash. Case in point is telecom companies who operate in Canada - they have to be controlled by a Canadian company (thanks to the CRTC) but can be bought by an international company - while the Canadian part maintains controlling interest. So MLSE might be able to pony up the cash, but Larry T. could hold 51% of the voting shares or something like that.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post

Rogers bought the Jays prior to the rules being changed, so I’m not sure if MLB would make a concession to approve a sale to MLSE.
    Rogers isn't a single individual either? What's the difference between the current ownership and what it would be if MLSE bought it? Or the teachers for that matter?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Rogers isn't a single individual either? What's the difference between the current ownership and what it would be if MLSE bought it? Or the teachers for that matter?
    I think when it comes to Rogers/Jays the corporation is the bankroll but its was Ted Rogers (and now his son) listed to MLB as the owner
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    When Rogers bought the Jays, there were no rules against corporate ownership. Since then, MLB has gone the NFL route where they only want individuals.

Now, maybe they'd make an exception here because Bell would only be buying a minority stake, not majority.

I think Rogers would rather sell the Jays outright to someone else and then sign a sweetheart TV deal with the new owner. I doubt they want to split the lucrative TV rights of the Jays with Bell. But they may have no choice as it will be hard to find someone rich enough to spend 1.5B for the Jays then spend another 500M for improvements to SkyDome.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When it comes to selling the Jays, all I would like to see is them pull down that stupid Rogers statue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    When it comes to selling the Jays, all I would like to see is them pull down that stupid Rogers statue.
    The statue has been removed for now! Hopefully it stays that way.

https://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2017/...atlanta-braves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Argos schedule for 2018 is out, much more consistent this year with 7 Saturdays, 1 Friday and a Thursday. Also it's nicely spread out. Should benefit them.

https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/12/14/...2018-schedule/
    Hope TFC's schedule has the same proportion of Saturday home games.