Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way he should have exposed Edwards over those guys.

Hagglund and Zavaleta are young cheap talented Americans, who also have allstar potential. Osorio just started for the best team in history, and is only 25- he has not reached his peak yet.

They are all worth more than Raheem.

Raheem has a lot of potential, but all three of those guys are very valuable, and have more value.

Putting aside the fact that Bez/Vanney have earned our trust... I think they got it right.

It's a championship club problem. They are saving their firepower for something bigger. We are going for it again. There are going to be numerous massive signings in MLS over the next six months, and we will get a couple.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-12-2017 at 06:19 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have left Zavaleta. I know he was consistent for us but let’s be honest, his role is a dime a dozen. Edwards was a dynamic winger who could beat a player and was really developing a killer final ball. I really don’t understand leaving him unprotected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    If you lose one of Hagglund and Zavaleta at least you have the other if you lose Raheem then.... I just dont get it tbh

Well Zavaleta was never going to not be protected... I mean... he has become a decent player and the next words shouldn't reflect on my opinion on why he starts regularly he earned his spot I think. But nepotism means he was never going to be left unprotected.

Hagglund has load of potential to be here for years to come. Raheem is a unknown and Osorio I suspect is being groomed to be Bradley's replacement if he can get his emotions in check.

I don't like seeing Raheem go. He however was the odd man out. Hagglund is rate, Osorio is rate and Zavaleta is both rated and related to the head coach.
    Last edited by Kaz; 12-15-2017 at 01:35 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just can't help thinking, as some other folks on this thread and others have said, that there is something else going on. After such a stellar start to the year, Edwards all but disappeared, and his few appearances toward the end of the season did not impress. I understand he did not even dress for the MLS Cup. I would love to know what led to his time going down, and I know that his bad form later in the season could be due to lack of minutes, but something doesn't add up. I think that something, whatever it was, must have led to him being left unprotected. With all due respect to Oso and Zavaleta, when Edwards was in form at the start of the season, he was on fire, and I would have protected him before those two. But end of season Edwards was a pale shadow of start of season Edwards. I guess we will see next year. It is too bad...a great Canadian kid with tons of potential!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I was at the Ottawa away game (it was a debacle, if you recall, best forgotten), at field level. It was interesting because you could see and hear things you don't normally. Vanney was really, seriously torqued with both Raheem and Jordan Hamilton in that game, and he was letting them know. I posted this at the time - my best guess was that they weren't doing what he wanted positionally.

It wasn't too long after that when Raheem (and Jordan) disappeared totally from the rotation.

I am not saying I don’t rate Raheem. I wish we still had him. Just describing what I saw.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-12-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel bad for Raheem. Wearing an IMFC jersey is like wearing a shit smeared rag.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Well Zavaleta was never going to not be protected... I mean... he has become a decent player and the next words should reflect on my opinion on why he starts regularly he earned his spot I think. But nepotism means he was never going to be left unprotected.

Hagglund has load of potential to be here for years to come. Raheem is a unknown and Osorio I suspect is being groomed to be Bradley's replacement if he can get his emotions in check.

I don't like seeing Raheem go. He however was the odd man out. Hagglund is rate, Osorio is rate and Zavaleta is both rated and related to the head coach.
    This is a load of bullcrap. Zavaleta was an effing shutdown defender in the playoffs. He didn’t play in the Final for situational reasons only. If there is anyone who wavered a bit on the back line in the playoffs, it was Moor.

I hope you reconsider this comment, it is massively unfair to Vanney and Zavaleta, and doesn’t reflect the reality that personnel decisions belong just as much or more to Bez and Manning.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-12-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edwards was homegrown for us though wasnt he? which means all we got back in losing him is a another home grown spot. its not like we gained an international slot or a high salary guy. We just lost a cheap decent player that didnt count on the roster. I'd rather have him back then some high priced international that performs similar to him. big cheap shoes to fill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it was an attitude thing with Raheem, I don't like losing him, but as has been said he literally disappeared for long periods of time, and was rather invisible when he got minimal minutes. I liked the potential but saw a bit of juvenile petulance at the wrong time, Canadian Championship red card comes to mind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by German21 View Post
    Edwards was homegrown for us though wasnt he? which means all we got back in losing him is a another home grown spot. its not like we gained an international slot or a high salary guy. We just lost a cheap decent player that didnt count on the roster. I'd rather have him back then some high priced international that performs similar to him. big cheap shoes to fill.
    I think that he technically must not be Homegrown because he was not part of the Academy when he went Pro. He signed his first pro contract with TFC II after playing for the Sheridan Bruins. Prior to Sheridan, he was at the Academy in 2014. I'm not sure for how long. It's possible that there is some sort of minimum time requirement.

The other question is, if he ain't Homegrown, then why did he show up on LAFCs roster as a non-international?

God, I hate expansion drafts.
    Last edited by wopchop; 12-12-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    I think that he technically must not be Homegrown because he was not part of the Academy when he went Pro. He signed his first pro contract with TFC II after playing for the Sheridan Bruins. Prior to Sheridan, he was at the Academy in 2014. I'm not sure for how long. It's possible that there is some sort of minimum time requirement.

The other question is, if he ain't Homegrown, then why did he show up on LAFCs roster as a non-international?

God, I hate expansion drafts.
    Edwards not appearing as international probably was just an error. They probably grabbed the information from our page, where he was domestic, and just moved it over and forgot about the Canadian domestic rule

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Edwards being from Toronto im sure hes just as upset as we are that hes going to Montreal..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not happy about this at all, but I don't fault management. We're stacked, and we were bound to lose a solid asset no matter what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UpTheReds View Post
    I would have left Zavaleta. I know he was consistent for us but let’s be honest, his role is a dime a dozen. Edwards was a dynamic winger who could beat a player and was really developing a killer final ball. I really don’t understand leaving him unprotected.
    We take for granted how easily our CB ‘s blanket other teams best players. I’d rather have an extra CB, in all honesty and i’m Really high on Edwards potential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.O TILL I DIE View Post
    With Edwards being from Toronto im sure hes just as upset as we are that hes going to Montreal..
    If he wasn't drunk at the parade ... he sure as hell will be now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^I was at the Ottawa away game (it was a debacle, if you recall, best forgotten), at field level. It was interesting because you could see and hear things you don't normally. Vanney was really, seriously torqued with both Raheem and Jordan Hamilton in that game, and he was letting them know. I posted this at the time - my best guess was that they weren't doing what he wanted positionally.

It wasn't too long after that when Raheem (and Jordan) disappeared totally from the rotation.

I am not saying I don’t rate Raheem. I wish we still had him. Just describing what I saw.
    I was at that game too (though in the Fury Supporter Section) and I didn't notice Vanney getting hot at just them. The whole team kind of mailed it in and got burned that game. I remember Chapman specifically getting a lot of flak.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I was at that game too (though in the Fury Supporter Section) and I didn't notice Vanney getting hot at just them. The whole team kind of mailed it in and got burned that game. I remember Chapman specifically getting a lot of flak.
    Funny I don’t remember that.

So not much really to go on from that story!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't buy any of this attitude stuff at all, there is no reason anywhere to suggest Vanney or any management had a problem with Raheem. Garbage. Do you bring on a player you don't like or trust when defending a road playoff draw with 10 minutes left? Because we just did that with Edwards.

He took his chance when Morrow was away with the national team and played above expectations, then regressed a little bit. More importantly, Morrow came back and didn't lose his spot after regaining it. That's all.

We're a championship team with the best depth in the league, this is just a numbers game. As mentioned anyone else we could have left unprotected would have had greater value.

The real issue is MLS forcing this artificial parity when they should just give expansion teams more allocation money. The league is good enough now that new teams, especially ones with shiny new stadiums, can attract more than enough quality players elsewhere to create a competitive team out of the gate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your service Raheem and dreams of your potential. Normally I’d wish you good luck with your new club, but to hell with that. Through no fault of your own I know, but I hope it goes badly for you in Poutineland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't buy the "he disappeared" argument either. He started the season well. Then he had that one game against Ottawa in May. Sure he didn't play well, but if that is what it takes to get rid of players, then I guess Nylander and Marner should have been buried in the minors a month ago. Also, it's not like the Ottawa game was his last game. Nor did his poor play continue beyond that game. Did he not provide, according to Giovinco, the "perfect pass" on the game winner against Montreal in the final? Did he not play well against NYCFC away? What about his goal at the end of July? All of these examples are right off the top of my head.

And as mentioned above, he was brought in to play the last 10 minutes of the first leg against Columbus. As a side note, there's a lot of people in here who expected him to come in that game and some how be the all star in those 10 minutes. The goal was not to concede at that point. As "poorly" as he played that day, he did have a game saving block.

The real reason he got little playing time was because he played against Morrow. In the beginning of the season, Morrow looked off. He may have also been a little injured. Also he missed time with the US. In comes Edwards, and does exceptionally well. But when Morrow came back, he was in super form. As well as Edwards played, he wasn't 8 goals by a wing-back good. There was no way he was going to get minutes ahead of Morrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I feel bad for Raheem. Wearing an IMFC jersey is like wearing a shit smeared rag.

I would rather wear the shit smeared rag. I feel for Raheem but hopefully he gets the minutes he needs to become a force on the National team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not happy that he was taken, but really makes me wonder whether there was something going on behind the scenes. Recent comment's by Seattle's GM make it seem like there is some disclosure in the process and management knows what to expect on draft day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My problem with this is that Morrow and Betashour are getting up there in age, and Edwards is going to be a top notch MLS fullback and perhaps more.

But while I do not like it, I do not fault management because I do not know what rational when into making the decision. I think it is hard not to leave any good players of the unprotected list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we promise not to boo him when he comes back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not boo him, this was not his choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to see him go. I thought he had a future here. Now I'm hoping his future is in Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Sorry to see him go. I thought he had a future here. Now I'm hoping his future is in Europe.
    As sucks as it is to see him go to a rival, this might be the best move for him to for that to become a reality with Montreal now having Garde as coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    I don't buy the "he disappeared" argument either. He started the season well. Then he had that one game against Ottawa in May. Sure he didn't play well, but if that is what it takes to get rid of players, then I guess Nylander and Marner should have been buried in the minors a month ago. Also, it's not like the Ottawa game was his last game. Nor did his poor play continue beyond that game. Did he not provide, according to Giovinco, the "perfect pass" on the game winner against Montreal in the final? Did he not play well against NYCFC away? What about his goal at the end of July? All of these examples are right off the top of my head.

And as mentioned above, he was brought in to play the last 10 minutes of the first leg against Columbus. As a side note, there's a lot of people in here who expected him to come in that game and some how be the all star in those 10 minutes. The goal was not to concede at that point. As "poorly" as he played that day, he did have a game saving block.

The real reason he got little playing time was because he played against Morrow. In the beginning of the season, Morrow looked off. He may have also been a little injured. Also he missed time with the US. In comes Edwards, and does exceptionally well. But when Morrow came back, he was in super form. As well as Edwards played, he wasn't 8 goals by a wing-back good. There was no way he was going to get minutes ahead of Morrow.
    He definitely made the most of his minutes for sure. He was Always an attacking threat...he just had more work to do on defensively tracking back.

His crosses into the box more often than not were seriously threatening and his attack in the box was exciting and fresh. I hope we can get him back just for his upside. Excellent replacement for Morrow in a couple of years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truly sorry to see Raheem Edwards taken away and tossed to Montreal. A horrible process.

Want to throw my support in this discussion behind the solid contributions this season of Erik Zavaletta. I started this season holding my breath when he had the ball at his feet, thinking of him as a big physical presence but perhaps the weak link when it came to going forward and finding open midfielders, but I learned to breathe and smile. Maybe he played more because of Hagglund's injuries, but he proved to be a full contributing all around player this year.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is a load of bullcrap. Zavaleta was an effing shutdown defender in the playoffs. He didn’t play in the Final for situational reasons only. If there is anyone who wavered a bit on the back line in the playoffs, it was Moor.

I hope you reconsider this comment, it is massively unfair to Vanney and Zavaleta, and doesn’t reflect the reality that personnel decisions belong just as much or more to Bez and Manning.
    Agreed 100% with everything said here. I was going to say pretty much the same thing until I read this

Raheem has potential, but the guys we protected ahead of him are established and proven players for us.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy