Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laws of the game are clear. Keepers allowed the option of 'trackpants'.

Everyone else must wear shorts/undershorts and are SOL.

Edit: Nope, I was wrong
    Last edited by Redpunkfiddle; 01-04-2018 at 11:56 PM. Reason: I was wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Laws of the game are clear. Keepers allowed the option of 'trackpants'.

Everyone else must wear shorts/undershorts and are SOL.
    Pretty sure players can wear tights under their shorts, I mean these two legends did

Last edited by rydermike; 12-29-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    But they're not even allowed to wear tights, right? I've never seen a soccer player wearing anything other than just shorts. It seems like the rules stipulate the legs must always be exposed.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    good point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Pretty sure players can wear tights under their shorts, I mean these two did

interesting. I thought that wasn’t allowed, but you can get around it, of course: really long undershorts and really long sock liners almost equal tights.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The laws of the game are actually pretty clear that they do NOT ban undershorts/tights that go below the shorts.

undershorts/tighundershorts/tights must be the same colour as the main colour of the shorts

or the lowest part of the shorts

In point of fact, the laws outline what must be worn, and only restrict headgear, dangerous items and jewellery. Track bottoms for goalies are only mentioned because thus goalies do not have to wear shorts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The LotG 2015/2016 already allowed tights under basic equipment:

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Basic equipment
    The basic compulsory equipment of a player comprises the following separate items:
    • a jersey or shirt with sleeves – if undergarments are worn, the colour of the sleeve must be the same main colour as the sleeve of the jersey or shirt
    • shorts – if undershorts or tights are worn, they must be of the same main colour as the shorts
    • stockings – if tape or similar material is applied externally it must be the same colour as that part of the stocking it is applied to
    • shinguards
    • footwear

The updated LotG 2017/2018 changed "basic equipment" to "compulsory equipment" and took effect on June 1st, 2017. It added the goalkeeper "tracksuit" option. Prior to this change, I believe goalkeepers had to use tights if they wanted to cover their legs. The "tights" option was moved to colours.
    2 Compulsory equipment
    The compulsory equipment of a player comprises the following separate items:
    • a shirt with sleeves
    • shorts
    • socks – tape or any material applied or worn externally must be the same colour as that part of the sock it is applied to or covers
    • shinguards – these must be made of a suitable material to provide reasonable protection and covered by the socks
    • footwear
    Goalkeepers may wear tracksuit bottoms.

The "tights" provision was moved under "colours"
    4 Colours
    • The two teams must wear colours that distinguish them from each other and the match officials
    • Each goalkeeper must wear colours that are distinguishable from the other players and the match officials
    • If the two goalkeepers’ shirts are the same colour and neither has another shirt, the referee allows the match to be played

Undershirts must be the same colour as the main colour of the shirt sleeve; undershorts/tights must be the same colour as the main colour of the shorts or the lowest part of the shorts – players of the same team must wear the same colour.

http://www.theifab.com/laws

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the much more comprehensive research. I thought the tights couldn't be long, but that's not the case.

I'm surprised Cooper didn't wear them in last year's final. Maybe he was discouraged by the team. Or maybe most players don't like anything messing with their movement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing that matters is the color, need to be team official.

I recall Dunfield getting into trouble with Canada cause his red long sleeve undershirt wasn't the right color red. Had to change I believe.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was pretty sure tights were allowed. I'm surprised about the colour restrictions though. I think that #4 Gustav Svensson with Seattle was wearing white or cream-coloured tights in the MLS championship game. And in the picture above, you see black tights, which fit the uniform colour scheme, but don't match the colour of the shorts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if tights are allowed then they all def. need to wear them if it's going to be -20 or whatever.

But maybe they don't want to if they'd need to be red

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I was pretty sure tights were allowed. I'm surprised about the colour restrictions though. I think that #4 Gustav Svensson with Seattle was wearing white or cream-coloured tights in the MLS championship game. And in the picture above, you see black tights, which fit the uniform colour scheme, but don't match the colour of the shorts.
    I noticed that too. Svensson had something like tights on.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba wore red tights in the conference finals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronimo View Post

odd, i dont remember that game being that cold. prevent cramping?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't remember any of the players wearing tights during these games. I guess I just wasn't looking for it. Anything that keeps Seba in the entire game is a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    All aboard the Trane train! The travel opportunities alone! Cannot wait!

All aboard the Trane train bitches!

I am so pumped for this! Seriously, this could be epic if we're the first team to nail the treble and the CCL champions! What!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

e
    Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    What's really dumb is that if Toronto didn't win the Canadian Championship..........then the 2017 Supporters Shield Winner and the 2017 MLS Cup winner would not even be in the CONCACAF Championship.

Yeah this has to change. The Canadian teams are part of MLS. Period. So the same rewards the American teams get, the Canadian teams should get also. I understand there are two different national teams in one league which is unusual, but seriously the American teams get advantage in a few ways in the CONCAF scheme of things and also in MLS. Canadian players should not be counted as "International" players on US teams just like American players are not counted as "International" players on Canadian teams for example...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It wasn't a fluke and it wasn't lucky bounces. I watched it. Montréal was actually quite strong and played to a higher level in that competition, which they took very seriously. Their top players were up to it, what they lacked was depth and that final bit of quality to win it all.

TFC has that quality and depth. I would say Toronto is still an underdog, but much more likely to pull off a win.
    I agree with one caveat... the LIGA MX teams played there B and C squads through most of the tournament, and if I remember correctly they didn't even play there best 11 in the final match. They cruise these tournaments without there best 11. This year might be the first time we actually see a LIGA MX best 11.

Saying that. I still think this TFC squad has a fighting chance because we are the deepest MLS team this tournament has ever seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    I agree with one caveat... the LIGA MX teams played there B and C squads through most of the tournament, and if I remember correctly they didn't even play there best 11 in the final match. They cruise these tournaments without there best 11. This year might be the first time we actually see a LIGA MX best 11.

Saying that. I still think this TFC squad has a fighting chance because we are the deepest MLS team this tournament has ever seen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_C..._League_Finals

No they didn't........and no they don't

This tournament is a big deal in Mexico and will only get bigger now that Toronto FC is going to challenge the Mexican supremacy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liga MX started to take MLS teams really seriously around 5 yrs ago. 2011 RSL run to CCL final, with couple of results by other MLS teams opened up Liga MX teams eyes that you can't just play reserves against MLS teams. Hell, you can't play reserve teams against some Central American teams nowadays.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the UK, the Welsh teams ie Swansea, Cardiff etc that play in the English system qualify through it where the Welsh spot comes from the teams in Welsh Premier League. In 1992 when the WPL wa formed the teams English leagues refused to join even though it would give them a greater chance of playing in Europe as the top three clubs are drawn into the Champions and the Europa League.

With the season the Reds just had this question/debate was bound to come up but to keep things in perspective all those years when they were making champions league they were not even a playoff team none the less a MLS Cup contender. A lot of thought would have to go into it as I don't really think its all that simple to make.

Yeah this has to change. The Canadian teams are part of MLS. Period. So the same rewards the American teams get, the Canadian teams should get also. I understand there are two different national teams in one league which is unusual, but seriously the American teams get advantage in a few ways in the CONCAF scheme of things and also in MLS. Canadian players should not be counted as "International" players on US teams just like American players are not counted as "International" players on Canadian teams for example...[/QUOTE]

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the UK, the Welsh teams ie Swansea, Cardiff etc that play in the English system qualify through it where the Welsh spot comes from the teams in Welsh Premier League. In 1992 when the WPL was formed the teams English leagues refused to join even though it would give them a greater chance of playing in Europe as the top three clubs are drawn into the Champions and the Europa League.

With the season the Reds just had this question/debate was bound to come up but to keep things in perspective all those years when they were making champions league they were not even a playoff team none the less a MLS Cup contender. A lot of thought would have to go into it as I don't really think its all that simple to make.

e

Yeah this has to change. The Canadian teams are part of MLS. Period. So the same rewards the American teams get, the Canadian teams should get also. I understand there are two different national teams in one league which is unusual, but seriously the American teams get advantage in a few ways in the CONCAF scheme of things and also in MLS. Canadian players should not be counted as "International" players on US teams just like American players are not counted as "International" players on Canadian teams for example...

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing like a good conversation about men in tights to keep things interesting in the off season! I love this forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

e

The only way this changes is if the CSA changes their mind on who the CCL rep is. And with the CPL coming in 2019 that will be a tall ask. Our CCL rep has nothing to do with MLS or USSF.

Second, Cdns will always be counted as Internationals on US clubs until the US gov't changes the law (which will be never). If you want to go back to 2007 where US players count as Internationals on Canadian clubs then you'll need to convince Manning, Bez and the MLSE board. It was TFC who begged MLS to have US players count as domestics in the first place.
    Last edited by Gazza_55; 01-03-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well now I feel like an idiot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Canada has roundtrip flights to Mexico City for $460 if anyone feels like taking a gamble on a potential Semi Final with America or fancies connecting through there for Monterrey over the week of March 10th!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if TFC were to play Tigres in the QFs, they'd play the second leg down in Monterrey? Yea?

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    So if TFC were to play Tigres in the QFs, they'd play the second leg down in Monterrey? Yea?
    That's right- decided in the draw.
    After that, the semis and finals are determined by points in previous matches.
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So do we start Bono for CCL and Irwin for the league or the other way around?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    So do we start Bono for CCL and Irwin for the league or the other way around?
    Isn't it great to even have those options? Most clubs would value either of them as their #1. I'd be confident with either one of them.

It wasn't that long ago that we had Freddy Hall between the pipes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Herediano are capable of beating Tigres, I'm calling the upset. They can handily beat anyone who ventures to Costa Rica.