Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am excited. Lets get by Colorado first, and then worry about Tigers.

I am very pumped for this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    Because they re-did the format 2016 MLS qualifiers go into 2018 (except us, we needed to win both 2016 and 2017 Canadian Championships).

For the 2019 CCL, MLS will be sending the MLS and US Open cup winners for 2017 and 2018.

and i thought explaining home and away playoff games was difficult to explain to my non soccer friends

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Step 1 - beat Colorado at all costs.

Step 2 - you play the best on the continent. Whether it's the finals or not - doesn't matter. If you lose, you weren't suppose to win in the first place. If you win, think of what that means - and for the psychological state of everyone else in the tournament. Toronto would have to believe they could go in and pound it out with anyone else in the tournament... and everyone else in still in it would likely have eyes wide open to the fact that Toronto can beat a team like Tigres.

We should be excited about getting the chance to play a number of really good teams.
    Admittedly, at first, I had a deep intake of breath at our draw.

But, then, this were my subsequent view, once it set in.

I want this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Could someone please explain to me why Mexico and many other Latino countries have 2 championships within a single season (apertura and clausura)? Why?

Coming from a european background (meaning not familiar with it) It almost feels like a participaton award. You get a trophy, he gets a trophy, she gets a trophy, everyone gets a trophy.

At least the NASL soccer bowl (which does something similar) uses playoffs to connect the 2 seasons together. But based on Wikipedia in Mexico it looks like there are 2 champions per season.
    arpetura and clausura (opening and closing)

two tournaments separated by the christmas and summer breaks fit the Fifa schedule. Followed by a Championship match between the two winners

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wont the mex teams be in pre season in feb and march

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    wont the mex teams be in pre season in feb and march
    Not really, their season is split in two (as stated in the posts above).
    They only get a 2-4 week break (depending on if you make the playoffs or not), arguably they will still be in top form as the Clausura will be 6 or 7 weeks in by the time the CCL begins
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    arpetura and clausura (opening and closing)

two tournaments separated by the christmas and summer breaks fit the Fifa schedule. Followed by a Championship match between the two winners
    Thanks i think some leagues do but nothing online about liga mx winners playing eachother.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks i think some leagues do but nothing online about liga mx winners playing eachother.
    the Supercopa MX
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercopa_MX
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Aperatura and Clausura champions do not play each other for any title. If they do, its more like that Community Shield thing. Mostly ceremonial.
    That's all I'll say about that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    The Aperatura and Clausura champions do not play each other for any title. If they do, its more like that Community Shield thing. Mostly ceremonial.
    Yea more like a supercup (ceremonial)which isn't the same thing as crowning a season chanpion. Thanks for the replies guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh well. Nobody said it was going to be easy. We definitely have our work cut out for us, but I think we have the talent and the depth to make a run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Oh well. Nobody said it was going to be easy. We definitely have our work cut out for us, but I think we have the talent and the depth to make a run.
    Getting to the quarterfinals and going out with fight would be considered a deep enough run, given the circumstances?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dates just posted on TFC website

Feb 20, 10pm in Colorado and Feb 27, 8pm in Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck me. In Florida during the return leg. Can’t they push it back one more day? . Hoping a blizzard hits, and it’s pushed back one more day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8 PM kick-off in February...

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Those are going to be some chilly games.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think it's ... (being diplomatic) ... not the best idea to hold these games at BMO.

I half-suspect they know there's a decent chance the game could get re-scheduled and they just don't mind.

But also – why did CONCACAF schedule the tournament like this? Why does it HAVE to start in Feb. and finish in late April? Why not start in March and have it finish in May? Seems reasonable to me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I still think it's ... (being diplomatic) ... not the best idea to hold these games at BMO.

I half-suspect they know there's a decent chance the game could get re-scheduled and they just don't mind.

But also – why did CONCACAF schedule the tournament like this? Why does it HAVE to start in Feb. and finish in late April? Why not start in March and have it finish in May? Seems reasonable to me.
    Prob because of Liga MX Clausura schedule.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those wondering about the Rapids for next season, this from Matt Doyle pretty much sums up what is happening out there:

And that's freed up new coach Anthony Hudson to sign a mix of 30-something Scandinavians and New Zealand internationals in what appears to be an earnest attempt to replicate the early-season success Minnesota United had last year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why on earth aren’t those Colorado games on weekend afternoons? It's fricking February...

There's no Mexican conflict, and no TV issue (these games will get tiny TV ratings)

Not even 7pm, but 8pm.

It's as if someone is determined to pick the stupidest possible start time.

I bet there are 1,000 people at that game in Denver.

Part of me thinks the two teams should petition FIFA to play both games in Florida at a neutral site. Just because of injury risk.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-24-2017 at 08:53 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Why on earth aren’t those Colorado games on weekend afternoons? It's fricking February...

There's no Mexican conflict, and no TV issue (these games will get tiny TV ratings)

Not even 7pm, but 8pm.

Part of me thinks the two teams should petition FIFA to play both games in Florida at a neutral site. Just because of injury risk.
    Spot on ensco, it is absurd. And its concacaaf, so we know the only factors considered were about the good of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fucking Colorado. I was hoping to get a nice vacation somewhere near the equator. That looks mighty unlikely now. Ruined my spring this does.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We start the season with 3 games in 11 days. If we get past Colorado, even if MLS gives us a week off on the weekend of March 10, we are talking 6 games in 25 days.

Going to need to find a 3rd forward and another AM behind Vasquez.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Not even 7pm, but 8pm.

I agree!

Now that the return date has also been set: both Feb. 27 2014, and Feb. 27 2015, the high temperature in Toronto was -10 (lower than that with the windchill). As these are weekday evening games, it would have been a couple of degrees below -10 at game time. By the end of the game, windchill could easily pass -20 down by the lake.

Is there an official minimum temperature for a CONCACAF game to be played?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really enjoy CCL.but this jus plain stupid with no regards for the players and the fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post

Couldn't find any info on either CONCACAF or FIFA guidelines, but this article gives a bit of insight on cold weather matches:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...otball-matches

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't wait for midweek Champions League matches. I don't care what temp it is. It's crazy. Crazy special. What takes away from it is that we play an MLS team. As mentioned above the only visible difference will be how small the crowd is. Shame.

This tourney is going to take a long time to grow.

Unfortunately until MLS teams start winning and moving on the insular NA sports fan won't take it in fully.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The games will be played midweek because that's the tournament schedule and it is dictated. This isn't MLS and there isn't any control over it.

There will be opportunities for MLS to help us out by rescheduling league matches if we progress. That's been done in the past.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    The games will be played midweek because that's the tournament schedule and it is dictated. This isn't MLS and there isn't any control.
    This isn't an explanation, this is just describing walruses thumping chests.

There is no interest that Concacaf should have in seeing these games played at a suboptimal time that reduces the gate. They should be open to approaches by both teams, if changing something doesn’t give a competitive advantage to the winner of the tie. A threshold this meets.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I agree!

Now that the return date has also been set: both Feb. 27 2014, and Feb. 27 2015, the high temperature in Toronto was -10 (lower than that with the windchill). As these are weekday evening games, it would have been a couple of degrees below -10 at game time. By the end of the game, windchill could easily pass -20 down by the lake.