Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    This is crazy. They have the two highest ranked teams in FiveThirtyEight's rankings facing each other in the Quarterfinals. I just realized that there was no possible first-round opponent *but* Colorado, since the US and Mexican teams aren't allowed to play each other. That means that no matter what happens each year, the Canadian team is going to face an MLS team in the first round.
    I believe the rule was that teams from same association cannot face each other, not federation.

All the Mexican and US clubs (except Colorado) couldn't be drawn against each other because they were all in Pot 1. So Colorado could have only drawn America, Tijuana, UANL, Guadalajara, or us.
    Last edited by wopchop; 12-18-2017 at 09:40 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one boring team

But then, if we get through that, the biggest test of them all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, Colorado will be a good test for if they have to face Club America at Azteca. 7000 feet and 10000 feet are close enough air pressure, aren't they?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, Colorado will be a good test for if they have to face Club America at Azteca. 7000 feet and 10000 feet are close enough air pressure, aren't they?
    The USA Costa Rica World Cup Qualifer in a blizzard at Dick's Sporting Goods was played on March 22, 2013. Would be wild if this game was to be played in similar conditions.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, we have to get through Colorado, but then Tigres at BMO in early March? Holy shit I can hardly wait.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we play the Rapids 20, or 21 or 22. If it's the 22nd this could be an interesting 2 day mini sports trip as the Nuggets play the Spurs at the Pepsi Center on the 23rd.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    OK, we have to get through Colorado, but then Tigres at BMO in early March? Holy shit I can hardly wait.
    I will be curious to see how packed BMO is for a match vs Colorado is late February, will the hype of being a championship team pack it? I don't know.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the bracket

Last edited by MartinUtd; 12-18-2017 at 11:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, although I think Colorado's stadium is 5000 feet, so Azteca's altitude would be even worse. This poses an obstacle I hadn't initially thought of. Colorado really isn't the place you want to go for your first competitive game of the season. Hopefully TFC spends at least a week training there to help adjust.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could someone please explain to me why Mexico and many other Latino countries have 2 championships within a single season (apertura and clausura)? Why?

Coming from a european background (meaning not familiar with it) It almost feels like a participaton award. You get a trophy, he gets a trophy, she gets a trophy, everyone gets a trophy.

At least the NASL soccer bowl (which does something similar) uses playoffs to connect the 2 seasons together. But based on Wikipedia in Mexico it looks like there are 2 champions per season.
    Last edited by DinamoTFC; 12-19-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Step 1 - beat Colorado at all costs.

Step 2 - you play the best on the continent. Whether it's the finals or not - doesn't matter. If you lose, you weren't suppose to win in the first place. If you win, think of what that means - and for the psychological state of everyone else in the tournament. Toronto would have to believe they could go in and pound it out with anyone else in the tournament... and everyone else in still in it would likely have eyes wide open to the fact that Toronto can beat a team like Tigres.

We should be excited about getting the chance to play a number of really good teams.
    This!! I don't want to get ahead of myself but seeing a TFC - Tigres matchup at BMO would be almost surreal. Is it February yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little off topic but do we get a Champions League patch instead of the MLS patch on the shoulders? I'd buy that jersey in a heartbeat if they end up doing that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo23 View Post
    A little off topic but do we get a Champions League patch instead of the MLS patch on the shoulders? I'd buy that jersey in a heartbeat if they end up doing that.
    Thats always been the case. This year should be no different

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Thats always been the case. This year should be no different
    But it's always a sticker, not an actual patch, no?

I remember them falling off mid-game before.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo23 View Post
    This is what last years looked like. They usually just applied it over top of the "MLS" badge

Last edited by djcuse; 12-19-2017 at 01:55 AM.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Could someone please explain to me why Mexico and many other Latino countries have 2 championships within a single season (apertura and clausura)? Why?

Coming from a european background (meaning not familiar with it) It almost feels like a participaton award. You get a trophy, he gets a trophy, she gets a trophy, everyone gets a trophy.

At least the NASL soccer bowl (which does something similar) uses playoffs to connect the 2 seasons together. But based on Wikipedia in Mexico it looks like there are 2 champions per season.
    I'm pretty sure it's for financial reasons. It started in the mid 90s. Two short tournaments give teams more of chance to be in the hunt. And as they use playoffs, there are more revenue boosting high profile/attended games.

Despite being a passionate football landscape, they felt they needed to boost opportunities for teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tigres in the quarters? No bueno.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the end of the day, we are good enough to beat who ever is in front of us...

Bring on Tigres, America who ever CL is ours

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn...we get back to the CCL and now we play an MLS team. I used to love seeing us play the other teams from the region. Kind of a bummer but at least they will be in preseason form as well I guess. I am sure they will just park the bus, play for 0-0 most of the game then hope to nick one goal to carry them through. Some real exciting stuff there to look forward to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone know how Colorado made it in?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Supporter's shield runners up cause Dallas won the US open cup and the shield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it’s because they were second in SS standings last year, and FC Dallas already got in by winning the US Open Cup

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the runner-up for the Supporters Shield in 2016 (because FC Dallas claimed 2 of the possible ways to qualify; Shield and US Open Cup) the last spot is given to the next best qualified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_C...s_League#Teams
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THREE! THREE ANSWERS MUWA HA HA HA HA!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Yep... no bueno at all.
    I feel we were concacaffed big time at this draw by the football Gods.

If we see FTC playing in the semifinals, that would be a HUGE accomplishment to crown this 2017 season.
    On a second thought, I stand corrected: that would be HUMONGOUS!
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 12-19-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vamos Los Rojos

we can still do this!

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charlieocc View Post
    I think it’s because they were second in SS standings last year, and FC Dallas already got in by winning the US Open Cup

wait, 2016 results for 2018 entry?

its works on two years cycles?

so TFC winning Canada cup in 2017, is for 2019?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wait, 2016 results for 2018 entry?

its works on two years cycles?

so TFC winning Canada cup in 2017, is for 2019?
    Because they re-did the format 2016 MLS qualifiers go into 2018 (except us, we needed to win both 2016 and 2017 Canadian Championships).

For the 2019 CCL, MLS will be sending the MLS and US Open cup winners for 2017 and 2018.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    True, although I think Colorado's stadium is 5000 feet, so Azteca's altitude would be even worse. This poses an obstacle I hadn't initially thought of. Colorado really isn't the place you want to go for your first competitive game of the season. Hopefully TFC spends at least a week training there to help adjust.
    Minimum 3 weeks required. 1 week is just enough to get really sick. You're almost better off staying low until game day if you can't get 3 to 6 weeks in at altitude.

Edited to add, if we think elevation will be an issue later (San Nicolas is only 500m, so game 2 won't be that issue) we could train in Banff to keep any elevation gains. Not much else in Canada to get the benefits.
    Last edited by paul-collins; 12-19-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    Minimum 3 weeks required. 1 week is just enough to get really sick. You're almost better off staying low until game day if you can't get 3 to 6 weeks in at altitude.
    You are right.
    TFC should do not a 10 day training stage in Mexico, but at least one of 18 days, and at high altitude.

I know that money spent does not count much comparing 10 days with 18 days, for a club backed by MLSE ...but!
    ...It would cost the club less than spending a lot less time somewhere in the USA... Mexico is still a 3rd world country, and everything is cheaper!

There is still a lots of time to change a little bit on the preseason schedule, and maybe they will do it, now when they do know the first CONCACAF opponent, and for 95% sure the opponent in the quarterfinals.