Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I can't wait for midweek Champions League matches. I don't care what temp it is. It's crazy. Crazy special. What takes away from it is that we play an MLS team. As mentioned above the only visible difference will be how small the crowd is. Shame.

This tourney is going to take a long time to grow.

Unfortunately until MLS teams start winning and moving on the insular NA sports fan won't take it in fully.
    With all the attention that the MLS Cup brought for TFC I hope that translates to be a decent crowd for the CCL match.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    With all the attention that the MLS Cup brought for TFC I hope that translates to be a decent crowd for the CCL match.
    February at minus 10 will only attract the hardcore. March mid week may attract casual fans.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 12-25-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s not a big deal anymore about playing soccer in cold weather, it’s been a few years now that a few games have been played in cold weather going all the way back to the first MLS Cup neutral game played at BMO. I still think you will still see a decent crowd for this game, it’s more of a mental thing , before TFC no one would think of staging an outdoor soccer game past October, but now an outdoor game can be played anytime as long as there is not a major snow storm a game can be played. You dress up properly for the weather , people go sking in cold weather does not stop people from sking, so why should cold weather stop people from going out and watching a soccer game.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 12-25-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    It’s not a big deal anymore about playing soccer in cold weather, it’s been a few years now that a few games have been played in cold weather going all the way back to the first MLS Cup neutral game played at BMO. I still think you will still see a decent crowd for this game, it’s more of a mental thing , before TFC no one would think of staging an outdoor soccer game past October, but now an outdoor game can be played anytime as long as there is not a major snow storm a game can be played. You dress up properly for the weather , people go sking in cold weather does not stop people from sking, so why should cold weather stop people from going out and watching a soccer game.
    My concern is about the players having to wear shorts in potentially -20 weather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Well for starters, you can wear a Goose when skiing, but not when playing soccer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's really about the magnitude of the event.

Cold weather games have always been around, but not when the potential/likelihood was for minus 10. It almost never gets that cold in England. Germany stops their season for six weeks during the period when they can get cold like that.

Cold weather night games started in Europe because of midweek Champions League. So, OK, it's possible to do it.

It's understandable to do a cold weather night game for big MLS playoff or championship games, it's dumb to do it for the first round of Concacaf.

Soccer is a summer sport.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-26-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They play in Moscow in February we should be alright as long as the stadium is full

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This tie between TFC and Colorado is going to be a joke. The famous Snow game in Colorado took place a month AFTER their scheduled home leg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why didn't they use an orange ball?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's really about the magnitude of the event.

Cold weather games have always been around, but not when the potential/likelihood was for minus 10. It almost never gets that cold in England. Germany stops their season for six weeks during the period when they can get cold like that.

Cold weather night games started in Europe because of midweek Champions League. So, OK, it's possible to do it.

It's understandable to do a cold weather night game for big MLS playoff or championship games, it's dumb to do it for the first round of Concacaf.

Soccer is a summer sport.
    so we wait for tv ratings to go up before we attend our own champions league?

i didn't wait for the masses to tell me how to like this game. why wait for it to be pussplops big before we schedule it like we need to?

i don't get these convos. it strikes me much like the annual schedule release complaints thread.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    so we wait for tv ratings to go up before we attend our own champions league?

i didn't wait for the masses to tell me how to like this game. why wait for it to be pussplops big before we schedule it like we need to?

i don't get these convos. it strikes me much like the annual schedule release complaints thread.
    If you don't get it, it's this, I think the players would like more than 2000 hardcore supporters plus a few hundred fans in nice warm box seats to be out there supporting them when they play these games. They are professionals and will play no matter what, but if you think there is no difference for them having between 2000-3000 and 30,000 fans you are mistaken.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    If you don't get it, it's this, I think the players would like more than 2000 hardcore supporters plus a few hundred fans in nice warm box seats to be out there supporting them when they play these games. They are professionals and will play no matter what, but if you think there is no difference for them having between 2000-3000 and 30,000 fans you are mistaken.
    Having been to a Champions League game at BMO with approximately 1,500 people in the stands, I can assure you there is a huge difference between that and having a packed house. It's a totally different experience.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Having been to a Champions League game at BMO with approximately 1,500 people in the stands, I can assure you there is a huge difference between that and having a packed house. It's a totally different experience.
    What game was that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am conce4ned for the players safety. Very easy for a hamstring or quad to go in those temperaratures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think the Colorado game will only draw 2000-3000?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should petition to move the game to Sunday. At least then you can have the game in the afternoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Given that we're just coming off a championship season and the fact that people now turn out for outdoor hockey games, I think we'll be fine on the attendance front.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    What game was that?
    The match vs. Dallas that was played at 10 am, the day after when the match was suppose to be played but was called off due to lightning.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I would be more inclined to suggest 10-15K.

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone recall if these matches were included in the SSH packages or do we have to purchase them separately?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be more inclined to suggest 10-15K.
    If it's plus 5-10 degrees, maybe. If it's minus 10 I'll be shocked if we get 10k.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what the membership sales page says about CCL tickets

• 1 CONCACAF Champions League (CCL) Match
    • 2 additional matches, CCL or Canadian Championships — whichever occurs first

So Colorado, tickets to the quarters and semis, but not the finals.

And, if we get past Colorado, at least one round of the Voyaguers will not be included with membership.

The uptake by members alone will be more then 10K.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 12-28-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With regards to the potential temperature for the home game I will share my experience from my 8 mile outdoor run yesterday morning just to give an idea of what I wore and how it felt. I believe the temp was around -22c plus windchill made it feel like -28.
    I wore regular Adidas running shoes with calf length cotten Adidas socks. Feet were not an issue at all.
    I wore Adidas climaheat running tights - legs were perfectly fine did not feel the cold at all.
    So based on the above I would say lower body will not be a concern for the players if they wear tights.
    Upper body, I wore a thermal long sleeve base layer shirt, moisture wicking long sleeve thin Adidas running shirt, Adidas winter running jacket and a Adidas lightweight windbreaker. Did not feel the cold during my run but once the run was finished and I was walking home I became a little chilly due to sweat underneath all the layers.
    Head and face, I wore an Adidas climaheat toque on my head and it kept it perfectly warm(it covered my ears too). I wore a face mask the protected my neck, chin and cheeks. The only exposed area was my eyes. Face was perfectly warm.
    Hands, I wore 1 pair of lightweight gloves, 1 pair of medium weight gloves and a pair of thick Adidas running socks over top. For the most part hands and fingers were warm although on my walk home I could feel a little chill.
    So, upper body, head, face and hands are going to be a very real concern if the players are faced with similar temps for the game. Obviously they will not be able to wear all of the layers I did and I highly doubt wearing a toque and face mask is an option. They may be able to protect their hands adequately with expensive thermal gloves.
    I honestly doubt that they would be able to safely play the game in those kind of temps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very true!
    With this said, I am sure no matter how crap will be the weather (even if -25 C, lol...), we'll have at least 5,000 butts inside BMO at the match with Colorado.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 12-29-2017 at 07:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    They should petition to move the game to Sunday. At least then you can have the game in the afternoon.
    Or at least play it in the same day, but starting at 6:30 PM.
    That could make a significant difference in the temperture for 3/4 of the game (even 2-3 degrees mean a lot!), and people still would have enough time to get there after work.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure. Nice for the players and atmo.

Every change to the schedule of this tourney is a hit to the consistency they desperately need to grow it, that's all. i just want them to decide on a sched and stick to it.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The match vs. Dallas that was played at 10 am, the day after when the match was suppose to be played but was called off due to lightning.
    Right!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    With regards to the potential temperature for the home game I will share my experience from my 8 mile outdoor run yesterday morning just to give an idea of what I wore and how it felt. I believe the temp was around -22c plus windchill made it feel like -28.
    I wore regular Adidas running shoes with calf length cotten Adidas socks. Feet were not an issue at all.
    I wore Adidas climaheat running tights - legs were perfectly fine did not feel the cold at all.
    So based on the above I would say lower body will not be a concern for the players if they wear tights.
    Upper body, I wore a thermal long sleeve base layer shirt, moisture wicking long sleeve thin Adidas running shirt, Adidas winter running jacket and a Adidas lightweight windbreaker. Did not feel the cold during my run but once the run was finished and I was walking home I became a little chilly due to sweat underneath all the layers.
    Head and face, I wore an Adidas climaheat toque on my head and it kept it perfectly warm(it covered my ears too). I wore a face mask the protected my neck, chin and cheeks. The only exposed area was my eyes. Face was perfectly warm.
    Hands, I wore 1 pair of lightweight gloves, 1 pair of medium weight gloves and a pair of thick Adidas running socks over top. For the most part hands and fingers were warm although on my walk home I could feel a little chill.
    So, upper body, head, face and hands are going to be a very real concern if the players are faced with similar temps for the game. Obviously they will not be able to wear all of the layers I did and I highly doubt wearing a toque and face mask is an option. They may be able to protect their hands adequately with expensive thermal gloves.
    I honestly doubt that they would be able to safely play the game in those kind of temps.
    Plus they stand and walk during the game, while as a runner you move all the time, making the cold harder on them. Good about the tights though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Plus they stand and walk during the game, while as a runner you move all the time, making the cold harder on them. Good about the tights though.
    But they're not even allowed to wear tights, right? I've never seen a soccer player wearing anything other than just shorts. It seems like the rules stipulate the legs must always be exposed.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tights are allowed, see our last game