Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1623
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Sure. That’s a different point. Look at the boilerplate on your cable contract.

My objection to MLS rules overreach is that sports is supposed to be simpler, and, even with salary caps, other sports are.
    To be fair, though, the landscape for football in North America, in a way, forces the league's hand; after past failures, they've really got to tread carefully, even with the sport on the rise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this the Onion, or Monty Python?

MLS salary rules have become absurd, a parody. They need to look in the mirror and stop this.

Nobody can reasonably follow this stuff, and being an “expert” in this is not something anybody should have to aspire to.
    Lol. This is what I was thinking reading this conversation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    To be fair, though, the landscape for football in North America, in a way, forces the league's hand; after past failures, they've really got to tread carefully, even with the sport on the rise.
    This is really just an exercise in collective bargaining and keeping domestic salaries suppressed.

Sure, hypothetically it accomplishes it’s goal but the flip side is ( as ensco alludes to) it’s creating experts in things that have no value outside of this league and it places an administrative burden on the league to deal with. At a certain point, everyone’s lives would be better served by a more readily understood and simplified set of rules. It’s just like when the league was losing lower level guys to scandavia because the existing regs created unintended consequences. These needlessly complex salary measures will have their own stupid consequences, rest assured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Follow Hope Solo's criticism of MLS and Soccer United Marketing. SUM is a profit making marketing company that does the marketing for both MLS and the USSF. Its a private company with Garber as CEO and very opaque finances. Similarly MLS isn't a soccer federation...it's a private company. It would be interesting to know how much money they extract from the league and the USSF. Whether you like Solo or not..she is asking some tough questions and stirring it up pretty well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not true.

That GAM for TAM trade was the moment where MLS tipped into some kind of bizarro alternate reality. The league office has to be embarrassed by that. I mean, c'mon, what the hell is that?
    Have you ever delved into the contract rules in the NBA? They're fucking insane. The NFL has it's own problems regarding guarenteed money and labor laws. MLB created the arbitration fiasco. I could go on.

These rules seem dumb but the serve a purpose for where the league is at at this point of it's life. They'll change overtime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supposedly we're in for Darwin Quintero, Ecuadorian forward who's plied his trade in Mexico for the past decade. You'll remember him from absolutely fucking destroying Ashtone Morgan in the Champions league when we played Santos Laguna.

I'm dubious about this. I don't know where he fits in our lineup and I don't know where he fits in the cap. Doubt this happens. Probably put out there by his agent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Supposedly we're in for Darwin Quintero, Ecuadorian forward who's plied his trade in Mexico for the past decade. You'll remember him from absolutely fucking destroying Ashtone Morgan in the Champions league when we played Santos Laguna.

I'm dubious about this. I don't know where he fits in our lineup and I don't know where he fits in the cap. Doubt this happens. Probably put out there by his agent.
    i dont believe it for a second

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah me neither.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think their is a very good chance we bring in Brad Evans and or Sean Franklin on small contracts to fill holes and add depth/experience at multiple spots. We've had lots of new signings come in and take a pay cut to live here and win a championship. Could very well see us going hard after those two.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quintero came up in the Altidore to America discussions a week or so ago - any reports now are likely an echo from that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Bez has been so successful translating that knowledge, SKC brought in somebody else who also did HER job at MLS.
    Updated for you... heh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know ... I could see this. We need more cover at forward and on the left side. And Bez said we still have lots of TAM. It's not completely unbelievable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I don't know ... I could see this. We need more cover at forward and on the left side. And Bez said we still have lots of TAM. It's not completely unbelievable.
    we're supposedly offering between 5-7 million. Plus we have 5 forwards and don't play with inverted wingers. No chance this happens.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Updated for you... heh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we're supposedly offering between 5-7 million. Plus we have 5 forwards and don't play with inverted wingers. No chance this happens.
    To be fair, part of the reason we don't play with wingers is that we done have any. A good right winger is something I didn't remember ever having. Last right winger that had any effect was probably Nick Soolsma. Let that one sink in. I'm sure Vanney would love to have the option of going 433 with Giovinco on the left and a TAM level right winger. Easily doable with the best pair of fullbacks in the league behind them.

I agree though if we supposedly offered that much, it's probably bullshit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think their is a very good chance we bring in Brad Evans and or Sean Franklin on small contracts to fill holes and add depth/experience at multiple spots. We've had lots of new signings come in and take a pay cut to live here and win a championship. Could very well see us going hard after those two.
    Brad Evans is in camp with SKC and I think I saw that the Caps are going after Franklin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    i really doubt anybody is going to pay 5 to 7 mil for a 30 yr old ok player.way better value out their on that kinda money ..2.5 max for him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    To be fair, part of the reason we don't play with wingers is that we done have any. A good right winger is something I didn't remember ever having. Last right winger that had any effect was probably Nick Soolsma. Let that one sink in. I'm sure Vanney would love to have the option of going 433 with Giovinco on the left and a TAM level right winger. Easily doable with the best pair of fullbacks in the league behind them.

I agree though if we supposedly offered that much, it's probably bullshit
    But have him sit on the bench 99% of the time when we don't use wingers? if Vanney really wanted to swtich to a 4-3-3 at some point in some game he could go with Endoh, Akinola, or Ricketts. Not tam level obviously but all can play there and have done so before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So here's a strange one.

A Argie midfielder from a Uruguayan 1st Div team is supposedly in camp with TFC in Mexico.

https://int.soccerway.com/players/mariano-mino/452468/
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 02-09-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    So here's a strange one.

A Argie midfielder from a Uruguayan 1st Div team is supposedly in camp with TFC in Mexico.

https://int.soccerway.com/players/mariano-mino/452468/
    This is his youtube compilation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD4dV_R1EqY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    The spirit of Paul Mariner lives on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    So I lost 7 minutes of my life watching the highlights of a player I would never care about otherwise.
    (At least I stopped in the middle of the video, and came back here to read the other posts... there were at least other 7 minutes to watch.)

Fuck me, I must be an idiot. Any one in the same situation?

BTW, that guy looked a great player, would have been a super addition to TFC.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 02-09-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The daily MLS email update has advised this today:

Report: Reds, Caps in Quintero tug-of-war

Continuing the saga from earlier reports, FOX Sports Mexico is reporting that Toronto FC and Vancouver have now both had their offers accepted by Club America for Colombia attacker Darwin Quintero. READ MORE

This news comes on the same day that Whitecaps boss Carl Robinson revealed they've bought down the DP status of Brek Shea, opening space for a sizable new signing. READ MORE

The article from Fox Sports (Spanish): https://www.foxsports.com.mx/news/34...punta-a-canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by langilleski View Post
    Only way this makes sense is if they dont think Kubel is gonna pan out or Hasler is getting traded or isn't seen as a fullback to the FO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Only way this makes sense is if they dont think Kubel is gonna pan out or Hasler is getting traded or isn't seen as a fullback to the FO
    Move Hasler to RM cover in a 4-4-2 and have this guy back up VdW?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be what, four right backs all using international spots? Not happening