Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Eight players today had the option on their 2018 contract declined, essentially meaning they have been released by the team.
    Armando Cooper would be the biggest name of the eight. Cheyrou was also among them but his retirement is expected. Endoh, Alseth, Pais, Spencer, Aubrey and Camargo round out the rest.

https://www.torontofc.ca/transaction-tracker
    This was expected -- Bez had already mentioned negotiations & options being declined. But still very sad, especially so shortly after the Cup win. That's the downside. Most other years, TFC fans would have a long list of players to dump in the off-season (usually w/o any realistic plan on how to replace them).

I know it makes business sense, but after the last 2 years (and the last few weeks), still very sad to see players like Cheyrou, Cooper, Endoh, and Edwards gone. That's what happens when your team doesn't suck.

Might some of these guys come back on a lower re-negotiated contract, instead of what was guaranteed in their option year?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    This was expected -- Bez had already mentioned negotiations & options being declined. But still very sad, especially so shortly after the Cup win. That's the downside. Most other years, TFC fans would have a long list of players to dump in the off-season (usually w/o any realistic plan on how to replace them).

I know it makes business sense, but after the last 2 years (and the last few weeks), still very sad to see players like Cheyrou, Cooper, Endoh, and Edwards gone. That's what happens when your team doesn't suck.

Might some of these guys come back on a lower re-negotiated contract, instead of what was guaranteed in their option year?
    Cooper I am sure they are trying to get him down to the 175,000-180,000 range (was 200+ I believe last year, and the guaranteed option that was declined would have seen an increase).

Alseth, Aubrey and Carmago are probably destined to TFC2 contracts (which could still lead to first-team later on)

Endoh, Pais and Spencer ... ??? Maybe Endoh back (with slightly less salary as depth) but otherwise I see none of these three coming back
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Article from Toronto FC:

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/1...ionship-season

RE the players with options declined, they write "These players will likely be invited to preseason next month." So new deals possible if the players are interested & they can come to terms.

Bez: "We will continue our discussions with those players that are now out of contract, including the players whose options were declined."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Torontonians tend to get a bit too attached to fringe players for some reason (on any team). It's like we always cheer for the underdog because we feel like the underdog.

Well, we're not the underdog any longer. Now we're the BIG DOG. And Big Dogs say fuck any player who isn't good enough to keep up and go get better ones.

All those guys mentioned (aside from maybe Cooper and def. Cheyrou, but he's retiring so it doesn't matter) were expendable chaff. I won't even give them a second thought.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Cooper returns. Same with Endoh and Alseth, we are moving away from being a development league.

Look at the price of these international slots. LAFC pried one out of Atlanta in return for passing on their guys, that was incredible when compared to our deal on Irwin a year ago. (I assume we maybe could have done that for Raheem if we wanted to.)

International slots will henceforth be used mostly/entirely on Vazquez level signings, across the league.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-14-2017 at 01:52 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moor and Zavaleta will definitely be back. Cooper possibly depending on his desires (playing time and salary wise), I still think management would like to have him for CCL. Toss up for Beitashour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    Not sure if having your contract option declined is quite the same as "being released by team". Depends on the contract. If you were playing on a very low end contract, you might hope that a training camp invite means a second chance or you might be looking for somewhere else to play.
    A higher contract player, say Cooper or Endoh might be negotiating a smaller contract hoping to stay with the team. Agree that Cheyrou had already agreed to come back for a minimal salary. Coaching future?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    Cooper I am sure they are trying to get him down to the 175,000-180,000 range (was 200+ I believe last year, and the guaranteed option that was declined would have seen an increase).

Alseth, Aubrey and Carmago are probably destined to TFC2 contracts (which could still lead to first-team later on)

Endoh, Pais and Spencer ... ??? Maybe Endoh back (with slightly less salary as depth) but otherwise I see none of these three coming back
    Endoh is a high contract player? The kid literally cannot sign a cheaper contract for next year than what he made this year, as his salary this year ($54,075) will be less than league minimum next year ($54,500).

This is all about roster flexability. After the club makes its impact signings, these guys can duke it out with each other and new draft picks and academy/TFCII invitees for whatever roster/international spots remain, or sign USL contracts

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Endoh is a high contract player? The kid literally cannot sign a cheaper contract for next year than what he made this year, as his salary this year ($54,075) will be less than league minimum next year ($54,500).

This is all about roster flexability. After the club makes its impact signings, these guys can duke it out with each other and new draft picks and academy/TFCII invitees for whatever roster/international spots remain, or sign USL contracts
    Thought I had seen Endoh as a little higher than that, sorry.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    Not sure if having your contract option declined is quite the same as "being released by team". Depends on the contract. If you were playing on a very low end contract, you might hope that a training camp invite means a second chance or you might be looking for somewhere else to play.
    A higher contract player, say Cooper or Endoh might be negotiating a smaller contract hoping to stay with the team. Agree that Cheyrou had already agreed to come back for a minimal salary. Coaching future?
    Cooper possibly will be back. Endoh is gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For RB/RW/RM non other than my paizano Jakub Błaszczkowski (Kuba) former Dortmund star and current Poland national team player and former Poland Captain. He's a leader and versatile. He will be looking for more minutes heading into World cup with poland.
    Jakub Błaszczykowski - Wikipedia
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki › Jakub...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    For RB/RW/RM non other than my paizano Jakub Błaszczkowski (Kuba) former Dortmund star and current Poland national team player and former Poland Captain. He's a leader and versatile. He will be looking for more minutes heading into World cup with poland.
    Jakub Błaszczykowski - Wikipedia
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki › Jakub...
    Wasn't there some talk of him going to Chicago?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible with a large polish population in IL. But he would need to play more before world cup and Poland Manager Nawałka is not bias to lower league as long as players are performing. He calls up players from the Polish League he calls up players from the second division in Italy and so on I'm sure if he went to MLS and performed well he'd also get a call-up on the team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Eight players today had the option on their 2018 contract declined, essentially meaning they have been released by the team.
    Armando Cooper would be the biggest name of the eight. Cheyrou was also among them but his retirement is expected. Endoh, Alseth, Pais, Spencer, Aubrey and Camargo round out the rest.

https://www.torontofc.ca/transaction-tracker

Most of these guys were on the supplemental roster and didn't count against the cap, so doesn't really free up much cap room. Pais was an emergency signing earlier due to GK injuries so not a surprise to be let go. Glad Endoh and Spencer are gone, I didn't feel confident with either of them when they played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post

so why did spencer get all those minutes that hamilton should have had

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Most of these guys were on the supplemental roster and didn't count against the cap, so doesn't really free up much cap room. Pais was an emergency signing earlier due to GK injuries so not a surprise to be let go. Glad Endoh and Spencer are gone, I didn't feel confident with either of them when they played.
    endoh was pretty bad in those wider positions, but man, you put him in the middle and its like a night and day.

we have enough depth in the middle though.

thanks for the good times Endoh but we need CCL quality now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope Cooper and Endoh (at least on a TFC II contract) are back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Endoh and Spencer were great in the community, good luck to them if they are not at training camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be useful to keep Cooper for CCL games if we can get the money right. I’m confused on the status of Moor Beitashour and Zavaletta. It appears they are free agents, does that mean they go to the highest bidder? Moor is starting to show his age and Zavaletta still prone to errors and mispositionidng. Hagglund and Mavinga are our best two central defenders in. Y book,but we need another starterif were to retain a 3-5-2 formation so retaining both Moor and Zavaletta makes sense unless a better option is available. Same goes with Beta. I think Hasler might be firstchoice at RB and we can get at least another good season from Beta as competition. I disagree with Mighty D on Osorio I think we’re overrating his talent and I see him no more than a bench option.sometimes we want our own to be better than they actually are. Anyway it seems we have quite a few holes in the line up to fill and I think we can trust Bez to come up with compatible strenth if not stronger options to fill the holes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd keep Cooper, if not for his CONCACAF dark arts which will come in handy for CCL run.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m with you on Cooper Yohan. I know that most folks want him gone, but I see promise with him, particularly in CCL. I still think that we give him an opportunity for him to adjust his game to less dribbling to more passing. They should try and knock his salary down and try to keep him.
    Last edited by Thomas; 12-14-2017 at 06:47 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reminder to everybody that Spencer was protected in the expansion draft. You don't do that with somebody you are letting go.

He's coming back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    I’m confused on the status of Moor Beitashour and Zavaletta. It appears they are free agents, does that mean they go to the highest bidder?
    Moor and Beitashour are free agents and available to the highest bidder. Moor apparently has had a contract agreed to for months, just waiting to put pen to paper. Zavaleta is out of contract, but does not have the years of service to be a free agent. Guess, to use NHL/NBA terms he is like an RFA (Restricted Free Agent), Moor and Beita are UFA (Unrestricted Free Agents)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Reminder to everybody that Spencer was protected in the expansion draft. You don't do that with somebody you are letting go.

He's coming back.
    Wait, they protected Spencer over Edwards? Wtf?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    Wait, they protected Spencer over Edwards? Wtf?
    no they did not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spencer is officially an RSL HG. All HGs are automatically protected.

With Cooper...keep in mind he is fighting for a starting WC spot. He's gonna want serious mins. Not off the bench cameos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why Bez let Edwards go....?

Couldn't he have just given LA FC allocation money....? I'm serious how does everyone see it because It would be nice to have a Morrow not replacement but back up, that we could have given more mins. Is it simply a case of having too many good players? just wondering how the allocation would have worked?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by matteo30 View Post
    Is it simply a case of having too many good players?
    Pretty much.

Montreal negotiated the trade for Edwards prior to the expansion draft. Even if Bez had made (or did make) a call to see if we could get Edwards back, how could we compete with Montreal offering Ciman? LAFC got a starting CB out of it, we would have had to give up similar value or a boatload of allocation, more than Edwards is worth.

We were too deep, we were always going to end up with someone getting picked. If it was a regular bench guy I don't think many of us would bat an eye really... it's because Edwards is a local kid that it really sucks. But it is what it is. I'll hold out hope that he comes back to us somewhere down the line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's all the salary info here:

https://mlsplayers.org/wp-content/up...on-By-Club.pdf

Irwin is on $200,000. That's WAY too much for our back-up keeper.

Something's gotta give there.

Also, Morgan is on $100k. This for a guy who played once or twice all year. That doesn't seem right either.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Spencer is officially an RSL HG. All HGs are automatically protected.

Aaaa...thanks for the clarification. I saw a tweet indicating he was in the protected list not the HG list. The press release confirms the HG status.

On another note, Morgan is once again the backup LB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People will never know what goes on behind the scene, deals are made, it is professional sports, it is a shame, but it happens, as was said we have many good players, and only good players with value would be selected in the draft and traded. It's not a matter of Bez 'Letting' Edwards go.