Page 20 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just hope that he and Akinola actually see some decent first team mins and dont dissapear off the face of the earth like Camargo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Akinola might be a bit too young still, we'll see. Maybe in the VCup. Camargo was always a bit of a long shot I think considering his development pathway.

This is a big endorsement for Fraser, signing him before preseason even starts. Having watched him with TFC II I'm convinced he plays the type of game that will let him transition smoothly to first team action, maybe even be more of an impact player at a higher level. He's all about simple efficiency. I think playing with better players will let his quality shine through more than it did at USL level. He's a nice long distance shooter as well.

Even Bradley can't play every single game. He'll get minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like TFC are interested in Gregory Van Der Wiel from Cagliari. Couldn't link, it's on twitter though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC linked to Dutch International Gregory van der Wiel. 29 years old with an impressive resume. Played for Ajax, PSG and 46 caps with the Dutch national team.

http://www.premiumsporthd.it/mercato...18_13182.shtml

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Looks like TFC are interested in Gregory Van Der Wiel from Cagliari. Couldn't link, it's on twitter though.
    We posted it at the same time, but I found a link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm. 1st thing comes to mind is he is VERY injury prone. So that scares me. Last year at Fenerbache he could play consistently because he was always hurt. This year he can’t start on Cagliari. But he’s still somewhat young (29), and up until 2 years ago, was a stud. I don’t know how I feel about this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if Van der Wiel is the type of character we want. Maybe he's matured (holy shit, how is he 29 already?), but he never seemed fully committed to his professional soccer career. He had shitloads of talent, was the starting RB for Holland in the world cup final at the age of 22, and around that time was being talked about as a potential replacement for Dani Alves if he left Barcelona. Seemed to me his attitude was more the reason why he never stuck at the top level, rather than not being good enough. If we did land him though, I would probably get a jersey with his name on it. Or wear my Van der Wiel Ajax jersey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Toronto FC linked to Dutch International Gregory van der Wiel. 29 years old with an impressive resume. Played for Ajax, PSG and 46 caps with the Dutch national team.

http://www.premiumsporthd.it/mercato...18_13182.shtml
    Calling BS on this, we prob kicked tires and that’s all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, seems to have cost Cagilari only 1M euros in transfer fee.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That van der Wiel rumour sounds very credible to me. Has elements of the VV story.

van der Wiel has Curacao roots, a model wife who has a global star, and his international career is over, so stepping down in league caliber doesn’t matter.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he would see a good MLS team in a major city as more interesting than a backwater Serie A team fighting relegation, on which he has trouble getting minutes.

Seems like a bit more of an NYCFC or LAG player to me though. Just based on his wife's stature/profession.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-20-2018 at 06:14 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Calling BS on this, we prob kicked tires and that’s all
    Based on what? This has been exactly TFC's style when signing players from Europe. Good players who need a fresh start. Giovinco, Jozy, Bradley, Vazquez were all frustrated or sitting on the bench before they came to TFC.

I am just not sure why this wouldn't fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what? This has been exactly TFC's style when signing players from Europe. Good players who need a fresh start. Giovinco, Jozy, Bradley, Vazquez were all frustrated or sitting on the bench before they came to TFC.

I am just not sure why this wouldn't fit.
    Bad attitude and history of injuries are immediate red flags not to me but to management (see post season interviews w Manning/Bez) and TFC scouts have not even been to Italy this off season. I just think a management group of such due diligence would not commit significant funds to a player they have not seen play in person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds believable save for the fact that Bez didn't mention Italy in the list of scouted countries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

van der Wiel is pretty intriguing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    This sounds believable save for the fact that Bez didn't mention Italy in the list of scouted countries.
    Well, he's not Italian, so technically they could have scouted him in Italy but Bez did say he was looking Dutch, didn't he?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vasquez was seen as being injury prone too. Remember that before he signed with us he (allegedly) failed a medical at some Greek club ... and yet look at him now.

Maybe some Euro clubs are much more demanding in terms of player fitness, and are not willing to give players the full time/support they need to deal with injuries. TFC are of course quite accommodating not only in dealing with injuries but trying to prevent them too – Jozy's hamstring problems seem like ancient history now.

So I'm not concerned with injury stuff. All I care about is a guy's team-first attitude and wanting to wear the shirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son's ears perked up at the thought of signing van der Wiel. He friend he was playing with on Playstation Live FIFA thought TFC could get him, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    He's not exactly an unknown quality though. And based on how much he's played in Italy, going there to scout him wouldn't tell them too much anyways

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/_sgennaro/status/955080746082893830

Apparently this rumour has legs! Steve Gennaro confirmed with a source in Canada that TFC are interested in Van der Wiel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. If they're actually going after him, they may very well be able to convince him to come here. Chance to compete for trophies and live in a world class city is more than he's going to get in Europe at this point in his career. He's a long way from Oranje already, so that shouldn't factor in, and the CONCACAF CL is probably the closest thing he's going to get to actually competing in a Champions League.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is he more suited to play in a 442 or 352 ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    is he more suited to play in a 442 or 352 ?
    He's fine in either formation. Came up through the Ajax academy as a CB. converted to RB when he moved up to the senior side. Most of his time with Ajax and the national team was in a back 4. IIRC, he played a lot of rwb in a 352 at PSG, but I never followed them too closely

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thx for info...btw he didnt get off the bench today

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This seems to be the root of the "he's a locker room problem" stories. Doesn't sound like much of a worry, to me. Ibra is a well known dick:
    https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/unh...173238421.html
    https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/bla...s-van-der-wiel

He is on a three year deal. So unless Cagliari are releasing him, there needs to be a transfer
    https://www.football-italia.net/1087...n-van-der-wiel

He has off field motivations, and is definitely going to be focused on compensation
    http://www.espn.in/football/fenerbahce/story/3127583/gregory-van-der-wiel-claims-he-was-defruaded-of-$45m-in-business-deal

He really likes Drake
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...s-league-dream
    Last edited by ensco; 01-21-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A potential stumbling block i could envisage would be his salary, factored with his injury/discipline record.

Full backs are becoming more and more integral as the league develops, but in terms of earnings, Van Der Weil is reportedly earning 2.2M a season.Beitashour by comparison last season made around $250k.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyEnglish View Post
    A potential stumbling block i could envisage would be his salary, factored with his injury/discipline record.

Full backs are becoming more and more integral as the league develops, but in terms of earnings, Van Der Weil is reportedly earning 2.2M a season.Beitashour by comparison last season made around $250k.
    GDS in their annual Serie A wage dump has him making half a million euros net. Adjusting for taxes and exchange rate thats about $1.2M USD. Even with a small transfer fee thats TAM able.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    GDS in their annual Serie A wage dump has him making half a million euros net. Adjusting for taxes and exchange rate thats about $1.2M USD. Even with a small transfer fee thats TAM able.
    The transfer fees can be amortized over the duration of the contract. If we sign him to a 2 year plus an option - the annual TAM charge for the transfer fee could be $200,000 if the fee is $600,000.

This is very much in the TAM range. Hope he signs. Lots of upside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The transfer fees can be amortized over the duration of the contract. If we sign him to a 2 year plus an option - the annual TAM charge for the transfer fee could be $200,000 if the fee is $600,000.

This is very much in the TAM range. Hope he signs. Lots of upside.
    Morrow-Mavinga-Moor-Van der Wiel
    Morgan-Zavaleta-Hagglund-Hasler

not bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only thing I would worry about is that left side. If Morrow gets hurt, I don’t think I would trust Morgan as an eveyday LWB. Everything else I’m happy with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Only thing I would worry about is that left side. If Morrow gets hurt, I don’t think I would trust Morgan as an eveyday LWB. Everything else I’m happy with.
    Morgan is going to come back well. What did he have, a stress fracture? Or was it just a broken foot? Either way, he is hungry, and judging from Delgado’s improvement after riding the bench in 2016 and Osorio’s after riding the bench in 2017, Vanney/Fraser and staff know how to improve players. He was already looking good as a wing back before he got hurt, and with 100+ MLS games will be an able sub. You watch.