Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    You mean like... Victor Vazquez?
    He was close enough to 29...and he came from a Mexican team...

But definitely not 33+ ....I'll make an exception for 30 year old game changers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ And Vasquez wasn't a DP. I'm fine paying TAM for 30-31 y.o. Europeans. You'll probably get at least 2 years out of them at value for money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    ^ And Vasquez wasn't a DP. I'm fine paying TAM for 30-31 y.o. Europeans. You'll probably get at least 2 years out of them at value for money.
    I don't care who we sign so long as they add significant value for a CCL run this year and the next one. Club is in a state where us signing a 35-year-old isn't going to hurt the club really imo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portugal is #3 in the world and TFC can afford a lot of their players and pretty much any player playing in Portugal.

Unrelated, if I was GM, which I am completely unqualified for I'd be scouting players aged 18-19 attached to the worlds best clubs, who are too old for academy but not in first team. These clubs spend tens of millions a year on player identification, youth contracts, and development. Why not let their money do all the work and we just buy the world grade prospect for a fraction of what they may be worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Why not let their money do all the work and we just buy the world grade prospect for a fraction of what they may be worth.
    You think clubs big clubs spend millions on their academy and players, for them to sell them on the cheap? Lol. That rarely happens..... And if they are willing to sell, it would be DP level budget charge. Even if the transfer fee is 3mil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we should be more active loaning young players to Europe. Let them get some development there and improve them to get to the first team more credibly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    I think we should be more active loaning young players to Europe. Let them get some development there and improve them to get to the first team more credibly.
    we loaned four TFC 2 players ( I can't rememeber them off the top of my head) to fc midtjylland this off-season. all four of them look likely to get first team deals at some point over the next 1-2 years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    You think clubs big clubs spend millions on their academy and players, for them to sell them on the cheap? Lol. That rarely happens..... And if they are willing to sell, it would be DP level budget charge. Even if the transfer fee is 3mil.
    Who said cheap? Never heard of TAM? Young DP rule? MLSE can meet transfer fees, they haven't even flexed much of their their financial muscle to-date yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    we loaned four TFC 2 players ( I can't rememeber them off the top of my head) to fc midtjylland this off-season. all four of them look likely to get first team deals at some point over the next 1-2 years.
    That's good - might be worth hooking up with Celtic type teams..take a loan of some of their players on the cusp of the first team in January. They would be game fit for February & would be used to playing in shite weather. Can hand them back in September.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. That was my FIFA strategy, buy cheap but promising players, but unrealistic in real life. What could work is getting those type of players on 1-2 year loans, not a long-term solution by any means, but may have players of the same impact as those 33-35 former big name stars at a fraction of the cost, not to mention building relationships with Euro teams if every year they send a couple of those types of players

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Developing players is also a business. Only a small percentage of them will make the first team full-time, it would be naive to think the big boys aren't looking to entertain offers on an up and coming prospects. Selling young talent is an important economic measure for many clubs...like it's a major part of their ROI strategy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@nonc So your suggesting that we use YDP slots on these type of players. Remember you can only use so much TAM (transfer fees count towards the player salary) to buy down a DP.

The reality is European elite young players stay in Europe, especially if they're from a big club. MLS isn't there yet where we are with getting South American young talent.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@nonc So your suggesting that we use YDP slots on these type of players. Remember you can only use so much TAM (transfer fees count towards the player salary) to buy down a DP.

The reality is European elite young players stay in Europe, especially if they're from a big club. MLS isn't there yet where we are with getting South American young talent.
    The recent signing trends suggest otherwise. MLS teams starting to fork over cash for young SA talents.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still no news? 3 weeks away from camp. Starting to get restless

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Still no news? 3 weeks away from camp. Starting to get restless
    Restless, this team pretty much has it core in place with only have to fill in some depth here and there, unless a cant miss opportunity comes along to upgrade a position.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Restless, this team pretty much has it core in place with only have to fill in some depth here and there, unless a cant miss opportunity comes along to upgrade a position.
    Manning said he wants 2 starters, and also 2 more bench guys to push our depth to 18 strong players. I’m assuming the 2 starters will be TAM signings. I really think you underestimate how much money was given to teams this off season. And if you want to beat the best Mexican teams, you need upgrade when ever you get a chance.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Manning said he wants 2 starters, and also 2 more bench guys to push our depth to 18 strong players. I’m assuming the 2 starters will be TAM signings. I really think you underestimate how much money was given to teams this off season. And if you want to beat the best Mexican teams, you need upgrade when ever you get a chance.
    Yeah for sure, what I mean is that they will not rush into something for the sake of a player, they will want to make sure its a fit. They just won't rush, especially with all that cash at their disposal.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget, this team don't leak anymore.

E.g. How many people knew Vasquez was being seriously considered (including a visit here) the winter Seba was signed?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prices tend to get cheaper after winter European transfer window
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to admit I am starting to get more concerned, little by little, with every day that goes by without any transfer talk. Teams like Atlanta and LAFC are making serious moves. Other Eastern Conference teams are actively involved in making moves as well. Seems like every day I am hearing transfer rumours for every team except ours. I know we have a great team already in place, but please tell me we are going to be taking advantage of that TAM money!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    The recent signing trends suggest otherwise. MLS teams starting to fork over cash for young SA talents.
    But I stated just that.

My point is the difference between young SA and young Europeans. For the latter, MLS isn't an option yet. There's no trend that suggests this. If so show me please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20 ish days until camp opens. 40ish days until CCL. Plenty of time especially given how now, for the most part, TFC signings get announced without much prior rumors.

But yea, i'd like a few juicy links to tide me over

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You kids are so impatient. Bez is not an idiot. Trust Bez to make the right signing at right price.

Mavinga didn't sign until end of jan last yr. Vasquez late Feb.

I doubt Bez is going to pay inflated prize during jan transfer window with clubs and agents driving up the price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MLS international transfer window opens Feb 14, not Jan 1 like in Europe. Also something to keep in mind for international transfers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can still agree and announce deals. You just cant register the incoming player ITC until the window opens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would someone like Glen Johnson be a good signing? Talented, experienced RB coming to the end of his contract. Heard West Brom might be interested though. He'd start on our team for sure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Prices tend to get cheaper after winter European transfer window
    And options thinner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    Would someone like Glen Johnson be a good signing? Talented, experienced RB coming to the end of his contract. Heard West Brom might be interested though. He'd start on our team for sure
    No thanks to the toilet seat thief

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    And options thinner.
    Not if you do your homework.

Bez is type of guy who has like 4 players in mind for every signing he wants to make.

There will be no panic buy from Bez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    No thanks to the toilet seat thief
    It would make for an interesting song