Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1623
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it boils down to two things and then begs a further two questions.

1) We have TAM to sign 1-2 more players.

2) We lack the 150-300k cap space to sign 1-2 more TAM players.

Questions: Are there Senior Roster players you can move to make space for TAM player(s)? And are they worth moving?

I personally believe that Clint Irwin’s 200k is a waste on the bench and you could get a tasty bit of GAM out of him plus the cap space needed to sign a TAM player capable of starting and raising the level on the pitch immediately.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess the question is , is their a market for a GK in terms of an MLS trade when you can likely sign a pretty capable one on a free transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I think it boils down to two things and then begs a further two questions.

1) We have TAM to sign 1-2 more players.

2) We lack the 150-300k cap space to sign 1-2 more TAM players.

Questions: Are there Senior Roster players you can move to make space for TAM player(s)? And are they worth moving?

I personally believe that Clint Irwin’s 200k is a waste on the bench and you could get a tasty bit of GAM out of him plus the cap space needed to sign a TAM player capable of starting and raising the level on the pitch immediately.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    its interesting that you think we have spend 3.4 million of our 5.2 million in Tam, on 3 players ( VV, CM, GVW). Remember tam can only buy down a player with a max budget hit of 1 million a year.

TAM may be used in the following ways:

• In order to use TAM on a player, that player must earn more than the maximum budget charge ($480,625 in 2017) in annual salary. The compensation ceiling for such players is set at $1,000,000 per year, unless the TAM is being applied midseason to buy down the budget charge of an existing Designated Player.
    • Clubs may use a portion or all of their available TAM to convert a Designated Player to a non-Designated Player by buying down his salary to at or below the DP threshold ($480,625 in 2017). If converted during the secondary transfer window, the DP in question may earn a maximum of $1.5 million on a prorated basis. If TAM is used to free up a Designated Player slot, the club must simultaneously sign a new Designated Player at an investment equal to or greater than the player he is replacing as a DP.
    • Clubs retain flexibility to convert players previously bought down with TAM back into Designated Players if they have a free DP slot.
    • Targeted Allocation Money and General Allocation Money may not be used in combination when signing or re-signing a player, or when buying down the budget charge of a Designated Player.
    $5.2M TAM?? I thought it was $4 million TAM. $1.2M + $2.8M in discretionary? That's how I did my calculation, ~$1M for Vasquez, ~$1M for vdW, $375 traded to DC equals $4 M available less ~$2.375M spent equals ~$1.625M remaining. As far as I know, Mavinga isn't a TAM player, he's just a high salary we can GAM down.

If you're adding in the $1.2M from next year, I didn't account for that, since all these guys are on multi-year deals, if we use next year's TAM this year, we'd have to get rid of one next year, since we'd only have our discretionary TAM left. There's no guarantee they add more TAM next year (not counting my chickens before they hatch), so I'd rather not waste next year's TAM and then have to cut a Vasquez
    Last edited by rydermike; 02-07-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man trying to keep our cap in check is pointless, especially with the amount of shit that's kept quite by MLS FO and otherwise. Faith in Bez is all we can do and realistically need

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, I don't bother anymore. Between GAM, TAM, Garberbucks, special LA Galaxy rules every few seasons, etc...I just want us to acquire the best and most logical players possible

Have fun figuring it out everyone, I'll be over here patiently waiting for February 20th!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Well, then, that's when they should have been embarassed! ;-)

It's nice that Bez is good at these games, but this kind of complexity isn’t good for the league, especially when it's on a galactic level of batshit artificial.

It's never good for any system when the rules require expensive experts (bureaucrats) to interpret them.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-08-2018 at 08:06 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    $5.2M TAM?? I thought it was $4 million TAM. $1.2M + $2.8M in discretionary? That's how I did my calculation, ~$1M for Vasquez, ~$1M for vdW, $375 traded to DC equals $4 M available less ~$2.375M spent equals ~$1.625M remaining. As far as I know, Mavinga isn't a TAM player, he's just a high salary we can GAM down.

If you're adding in the $1.2M from next year, I didn't account for that, since all these guys are on multi-year deals, if we use next year's TAM this year, we'd have to get rid of one next year, since we'd only have our discretionary TAM left. There's no guarantee they add more TAM next year (not counting my chickens before they hatch), so I'd rather not waste next year's TAM and then have to cut a Vasquez
    I agree it makes no sense to use the 2019 TAM in 2018 but it seems some teams are. Rumour is that the discretionary TAM will be even larger in 2019 so the teams who can spend team money will be fine.

MLS did produce a list of 2017 TAM players. The only players that TFC invested TAM in were Vasquez and Cooper. How much were we really paying Cooper?

https://www.mlssoccer.com/media-reso...-money-players
    Last edited by Captain; 02-08-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooper hit TAM because of his transfer fee IIRC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC linked with Darwin Quintero. No way is this accurate at the fee quoted.

I dont see the Caps paying 5-7 million for him either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC linked with Darwin Quintero. No way is this accurate at the fee quoted.

I dont see the Caps paying 5-7 million for him either.
    I suppose if he signed a five year contract and took a salary of $500K we could sign him. Very unlikely though. And he's around 31. I trust Bez could get that transfer fee down to 100K. Still he's not what we are looking for.

I want to see us sign a 22 year old south american.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From 5-7 million down to 100k, what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From 5-7 million down to 100k, what?
    The first rumours about VdW transfer fee were between $2-3 million and Bez settled for $200K. I figure he can do the same again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another takeaway from the tweet is that we play Club América today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    The first rumours about VdW transfer fee were between $2-3 million and Bez settled for $200K. I figure he can do the same again!
    Club America have been consistent with wanting that much for him since San Jose were linked last year. They sold Silvo Romero (who's a player of similar ilk) for $4.5MM recently, there's your baseline for the fee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Vasquez got $400k plus raise. He made $700k in 2017 so for us to be spending $1m TAM on him he would need to earn $1,150,000 (min 150k cap charge) this year. My guess is he accounts for $750k in TAM and earning $900k.

The reason you might use 2019 TAM now is for transfer fees that may or not be amortized. If we want 2 more TAM guys and their clubs want $500k each in transfer fees now or $250k each year for the next 4 years it might make sense to pay it all up front now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oliver Platt@plattoli 8m8 minutes agoMore

Noble Okello and Julian Dunn, both 17-year-olds signed to TFC II, have travelled to Mexico with the first team as part of a much smaller group than was in California. #TFCLive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seems like using 2019 TAM can make sense if the transfer fee paid for TAM player is completely or largely absorbed this year, leaving a smaller budget charge to buy down next year than if the transfer fee is amortized evenly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are the old rules fyi.

The limit was increased to $1.5MM.
    not really, this is this years rule

A Player must earn more than $480,625 per year (2017 maximum budget charge) to qualify for Targeted Allocation Money. The compensation ceiling for such players is set at $1,000,000 per year, except as follows: if a Designated Player is converted to a non-Designated Player through the use of Targeted Allocation Money during the Secondary Transfer Window, that player may earn a maximum of $1,500,000 on a prorated basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    not really, this is this years rule

A Player must earn more than $480,625 per year (2017 maximum budget charge) to qualify for Targeted Allocation Money. The compensation ceiling for such players is set at $1,000,000 per year, except as follows: if a Designated Player is converted to a non-Designated Player through the use of Targeted Allocation Money during the Secondary Transfer Window, that player may earn a maximum of $1,500,000 on a prorated basis.
    Your still quoting 2017 rules figures as the 2018 rules haven't been updated on the MLS site.

• Targeted Allocation Money may be used to sign new or re-sign existing players whose salary and acquisition costs are more than the maximum salary budget charge but less than $1.5 million.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...-2018-and-2019

The max budget charge for 2018 is $504,375.00

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Oliver Platt@plattoli 8m8 minutes agoMore

Noble Okello and Julian Dunn, both 17-year-olds signed to TFC II, have travelled to Mexico with the first team as part of a much smaller group than was in California. #TFCLive
    Good for them! Nice to see some young talent come though.

Believe these guys are both defenders no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Good for them! Nice to see some young talent come though.

Believe these guys are both defenders no?
    Okello is a mid IIRC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Okello is a mid IIRC
    Okello is a defensive mid. He's been getting overseas interest, they might want to lock him down with a first team contract.

Julian Dunn is a left footed centre back I believe.
    Last edited by PopePouri; 02-08-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if they're shopping those two for a loan to Liga MX for a year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Is this the Onion, or Monty Python?

MLS salary rules have become absurd, a parody. They need to look in the mirror and stop this.

Nobody can reasonably follow this stuff, and being an “expert” in this is not something anybody should have to aspire to.
    Replace "MLS salary rules" with "financial markets" and take a long, hard look in the mirror

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Areathrasher;1861192]Your still quoting 2017 rules figures as the 2018 rules haven't been updated on the MLS site.

Thanks for correcting me. I knew I read that at one point but never found it again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5.2 is the continued reported number in the media.

I would be more interested in understanding if the buy down is a continued flow through to the next year or if the players salary resets.

Example VV contract at 6 million over years, TAM buy down to XYZ. His reported salary was 750 last year roughly.

I don’t know nor do I care to learn like ensco said, but in Bez we trust (from my understanding the GAM/TAM was his baby when he was with the league).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VoxPopuliCosmicum View Post
    Replace "MLS salary rules" with "financial markets" and take a long, hard look in the mirror
    Sure. That’s a different point. Look at the boilerplate on your cable contract.

My objection to MLS rules overreach is that sports is supposed to be simpler, and, even with salary caps, other sports are.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post

I don’t know nor do I care to learn like ensco said, but in Bez we trust (from my understanding the GAM/TAM was his baby when he was with the league).
    Bez has been so successful translating that knowledge, SKC brought in somebody else who also did his job at MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Sure. That’s a different point. Look at the boilerplate on your cable contract.

My objection to MLS rules overreach is that sports is supposed to be simpler, and, even with salary caps, other sports are.
    I don't know. Some of the NBA cap trades sound pretty weird.

That and the NHL stuff isn't known because there is a stigma against thinking in hockey journalism circles.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And, this pretty much looks like the starting lineup in a couple of week

If you follow the twitter, Endoh is in Mexico & got a 5 minute bit at the end. Hamilton also got some sub time.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-08-2018 at 01:57 PM.