Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1623
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hasler is a versatile piece. I bet he could play a bit of CDM. Chapman too.

But if it’s Fraser or whomever, that’s fine for now.

Also easy to solve by going 4-4-2.

Bez can re-evaluate in the summer.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-05-2018 at 06:22 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    While I don't completely disagree with your POV, there's an obvious difference between now and the Winter/Mariner days. Back then we were the worst team in the world and the only hope we had was that the kids would develop into solid players that could make the "system" work. Now we're the best team in the league, so yes there is significantly more risk in relying on kids to pick up the minutes vacated by veterans
    Well, better teams than ours around the world seem to manage being competitive and blood in their youngsters simultaneously. If the team is confident the kids can step up and play at this level they gotta play. If they aren't up to task we can adjust in the summer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    I like Delgado a lot but don't think he has the characteristics to be a 6. if he's TFC's backup CDM, that is a massive drop-off.
    In his lim ited minutes there with us he's been surprisingly very,very effective. Plays a different role in that spot but still does a job. I'm not worried.

Bradley is the best and most durable player in the league. Anyone we could concievably get is a massive downgrade.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we want to be a long term MLS superpower, we gotta play the young guys into being good enough.

When it comes to DM, Delgado used to be a guy who never met a backwards pass he didn't prefer. This has changed. Vanney & co stress forward ball movement.

I would also note it was Delgado following Dempsey who made the defence line interception that led to the Altidore goal in the final.

Lets see what Fraser can do but Delgado is an OK replacement in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If we want to be a long term MLS superpower, we gotta play the young guys into being good enough.

When it comes to DM, Delgado used to be a guy who never met a backwards pass he didn't prefer. This has changed. Vanney & co stress forward ball movement.

I would also note it was Delgado following Dempsey who made the defence line interception that led to the Altidore goal in the final.

1000% agree.

I feel like we have the young guns to be slowly bred into the team, they just need the opportunities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Van der Wiel Transfer fee even lower than we thought
    prior to his move to Toronto FC for a transfer fee of roughly $200,000.

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/mls-10-years-ahead-of-europe-says-toronto-fc-signing-gregory-van-der-wiel

He's also our new striker instead of defender according to the TFC website

Last edited by rydermike; 02-05-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Van der Wiel Transfer fee even lower than we thought

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/mls-10-years-ahead-of-europe-says-toronto-fc-signing-gregory-van-der-wiel

He's also our new striker instead of defender according to the TFC website

Just saw that too. $200k is fantastic for a transfer fee. That means we should have lots of the $5.2m TAM left that we could spend this year.
    Last edited by Gazza_55; 02-06-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    Just saw saw that too. $200k is fantastic for a transfer fee. That means we should have lots of the $5.2m TAM left that we could spend this year.
    Makes a bit of sense. Say Cagaliari was paying him 750k (I guessed this), but they weren't playing him. Getting rid of him for anything saves them money. Basically a net gain of a million by letting him go for cheap than to reject it and pay him to rot on the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Bez. 200k for Van der Wiel, who isn't the type to thrive in a small market team like Cagliari. Vazquez on a free, who was unsettled in Mexico. Mavinga on a free, who was stuck playing LB when he preferred CB.

These reclamation projects are the perfect way to get incredible talent at a fraction of the cost, and as long as you do your research, the risk is minimal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC badly needs a backup CDM. Lucked out with Bradley playing so many games, and the club at least had Cheyrou. Now, no one can remotely play that position (I don't know much about Fraser). In an ideal world, they grab someone who can play both the 6 and the 8.
    This guy is available, I wouldn't mind having him backup Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    Is he still any good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone that watched the presser, did Bez specify if the 1-2 more signing we’re going to happen in February?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    For anyone that watched the presser, did Bez specify if the 1-2 more signing we’re going to happen in February?
    No, he didn't give any sort of time frame. So it could be in this window, or it could mean waiting for the summer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Is he still any good?
    Edu has been injured for the last 2 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking we could probably do better at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highly rated Nigerian right back Muhammed Saleh has started training with Major League Side (MLS) side Toronto FC, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal.
    Saleh arrived Canada on Sunday and according to the Nigerian intermediary of the Eco FC starlet Vincent Alumona, the 18 year old started training with the B team of the MLS side yesterday as he bids to earn an extended stay at the club.
    ” He (Saleh) arrived Canada on Sunday. He had his first training session with Toronto II ‎yesterday. We are confident in his abilities. Hopefully he will bag a long term deal”, Alumona told Owngoalnigeria.com.

Saleh was spotted by respected MLS scout Damani Ralph during his scouting trip to Nigeria in December alongside his Belgian partner Stijn Vanlerberghe.
    Nicknamed Danilo by his teammates in Nigeria, the full back who loves to join the attack aside his abilities to mark out forwards who are up against him will be hoping to progress through the ranks at the club.
    http://owngoalnigeria.com/2018/02/06...de-toronto-fc/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like he's targeted more for TFCII right now.

We still need someone more on the left I would think, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I love Bez. 200k for Van der Wiel, who isn't the type to thrive in a small market team like Cagliari. Vazquez on a free, who was unsettled in Mexico. Mavinga on a free, who was stuck playing LB when he preferred CB.

These reclamation projects are the perfect way to get incredible talent at a fraction of the cost, and as long as you do your research, the risk is minimal.
    will still never forget Mavingas first start though. Bez musta been puking in the corner a little bit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Looks like he's targeted more for TFCII right now.

We still need someone more on the left I would think, right?
    For TFCII? Think they have that Terique kid earmarked for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    For TFCII? Think they have that Terique kid earmarked for that.
    I mean, Salah isn't for the first team yet. We don't need another right back right now.

I think we need more cover on the left.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    will still never forget Mavingas first start though...
    Mavinga said later in the season he learned a lot from that game - he had taken his superior quality for granted & didn't do that again. IIRC, Vasquez said much the same.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC badly needs a backup CDM. Lucked out with Bradley playing so many games, and the club at least had Cheyrou. Now, no one can remotely play that position (I don't know much about Fraser). In an ideal world, they grab someone who can play both the 6 and the 8.
    Please no Edu, Fraser is Bradley's backup. Osorio, Delgado, Chapman are all capable central midfielders that can play box to box. I thought you guys had your chill pill after earlier apocalyptic visions. Bros we don't gotta make many moves cuz we don't suck like everyone else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    He'll play Canada cup games and the occasional midweek game. We gotta play our kids at some point. No point spending all that money on the best Acadamy in the league and not play the players it produces. We spent so much time bemoaning Winter/Mariner era for never giving Cordon,Stinson etc the minutes they needed but now we can't risk it?

Tyler Adams was a fringe rotation player at the beginning of the season last year and now is a serious talent and USMNT member. If you don't play the kids, they can't get better. I loved Cheyrou but there's no way I'd prefer to sign another version of him over getting a prized prospect like Fraser some minutes.
    Preach.

I reckon they might see what they have, between Fraser, Chapman and others slotting in; if needed, we might see a Hasler-esque signing in the summer, giving us assured quality in depth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Please no Edu, Fraser is Bradley's backup. Osorio, Delgado, Chapman are all capable central midfielders that can play box to box. I thought you guys had your chill pill after earlier apocalyptic visions. Bros we don't gotta make many moves cuz we don't suck like everyone else.
    Delgado has done a decent job there as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. As others have noted, either would be a clear downgrade from Bradley. But Cheyrou was only available last year because he was willing to sign for minimal money and to accept a role behind the ironman-like Bradley. And imo, he was a downgrade too. But even if he wasn't, how reasonable is it to think that within MLS' salary rules, TFC can find a quality CDM to fill a back-up role behind Bradley?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still hearing plenty of #Marchisio to @MLS & despite the logistical issues 💰 & Seba telling me last month Toronto was an unlikely destination for his friend, sources close to the club confirm Toronto FC is still snooping around here.

Lol I just can’t see it, but you never know. Thing is, he is VERY injury prone. I don’t know I’d even want him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

The Vazquez on a free and wages paid through TAM might turn out to be a Top 3 all time GM move. Especially since Bez had been chasing him for a few years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan View Post
    Agreed. As others have noted, either would be a clear downgrade from Bradley. But Cheyrou was only available last year because he was willing to sign for minimal money and to accept a role behind the ironman-like Bradley. And imo, he was a downgrade too. But even if he wasn't, how reasonable is it to think that within MLS' salary rules, TFC can find a quality CDM to fill a back-up role behind Bradley?
    TAM makes it actually fairly easy to get that. We still have a few million in TAM to spend this year. You sign a quality CM who can slot in ahead of Bradley as a first choice midfielder, and drop back to cdm when Bradley is out with Delgado/osorio/chapman coming in. Something like the Laba deal a few years ago would likely easily work with TAM now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    TAM makes it actually fairly easy to get that. We still have a few million in TAM to spend this year. You sign a quality CM who can slot in ahead of Bradley as a first choice midfielder, and drop back to cdm when Bradley is out with Delgado/osorio/chapman coming in. Something like the Laba deal a few years ago would likely easily work with TAM now
    There are two key elements though. The money part is just one. the other is finding a suitable player who fits in terms of being available, affordable and willing to come.