Page 34 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1623
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I don't get what our motivation would be to shop Jozy though. He obviously wants to be here, and more importantly we're about to go all in to win CCL. Like, it would be maybe the worst possible time to sell him.

Unless we had a move for, I dunno, Balotelli lined up and ready to go to replace him I don't see the logic, regardless of what money is being offered. Doesn't make sense to sell our best big-game player at this time.
    If Jose leaves I hope we miss the playoffs. It would be profoundly stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Idk, maybe I just associate press conferences with big moves that are supposed to turn things around and create a bunch of hype. I think a press release with a picture of him holding up a TFC jersey (with a number) saying they signed him should be sufficient. Same with any other signings they make. Or maybe I just don't like making new signings face the same drivel from the local reporters. IE:

"Tell me about all the great things you heard about MLS and toronto to make you want to sign here"
    "tell me about high your opinion of the league is"
    "tell me about how everyone you know wants to come here"
    "tell me the names of all the famous people you talked to before making the decision to come here"
    "you played in the same league as Jozy for a little while. Tell me about how great your relationship is with him. Also tell me how great of a player he was when you faced him"
    "did Drake play a key role in your decision to come here?"

And sadly I could go on. I'd rather the players just get to camp ASAP to get ready for the CCL
    You pretty much nailed it, lol. I for one like hearing foreign athletes praise the city, organization, supporters, etc., even if the responses are somewhat contrived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    You pretty much nailed it, lol. I for one like hearing foreign athletes praise the city, organization, supporters, etc., even if the responses are somewhat contrived.
    Oh I like hearing it too. Just not when it comes in the form of the media telling them what they want them to tell them about how great the city/org/supporters are. It's hard to feel good about what a player says when the words are coerced out of them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    No need to turn this into a referendum on local journos.

They are generally very good (Molinaro is the best imho) but I wouldn’t expect any of them to have the Mexican sources you’d need on a story like this. If it is a story.

The guy who posted that writes about Liga MX for ESPN . He is no random blogger.

It sorta kinda makes sense to me. Much as I dislike it as a fan.
    Molinaro is the worst soccer journalist. He never breaks rumours, he doesn't have sources, he only talks to the TFC media guy. Terrible journalist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Molinaro is the worst soccer journalist. He never breaks rumours, he doesn't have sources, he only talks to the TFC media guy. Terrible journalist!

Never asks the tough questions....I feel like majority of journos covering TFC are way too pc...which is the complete opposite of true journalism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay ... I need to defend the journos a bit here.

Do you guys remember the time that Molinaro 'broke' the story about how there was dissension in the locker room over Dichio's playing time, and it caused a huge shitshow? Well, we (and by 'we' I mean a lot of us on this board) gave Molinaro shit for reporting something that was 'backroom' and should have been kept private. We basically said that anything untoward or illegal happening should of course be fair game, but anything that was just 'behind the scenes' stuff, private team stuff – and anything that could actually be detrimental to the team should it come out – should be left alone. Since that incident, Molinaro has been a lot less investigative. I can't really speak to the others because I'm not familiar enough with their work.

And spouting off about unsubstantiated rumours is really not 'journalism,' and could be detrimental to the team (in that it could affect negotiations), so I'm actually glad that none of the local guys are touching the vdW story. They reported that he was in the city, which is fine, but they shouldn't really be digging too much until the deal is done in case they report something that spooks Cagliari into reneging on the deal.

So again – if TFC, or MLSE, or MLS or whomever are doing something very wrong or illegal, sure, I would hope they could find out about it. But anything less than that should be left alone. Don't open a can of worms.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Molinaro is the dude who broke the Herdman story - Kristian Jacks was right behind him on that one BTW.

BTW, he did that while on holiday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Molinaro is the dude who broke the Herdman story - Kristian Jacks was right behind him on that one BTW.

BTW, he did that while on holiday.
    Yeah and it has absolutely zero to do with TFC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe a credible journalist reports that Jozy was kinda shopped to three Mexican teams... and we're arguing about the reporters!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ I'd be interested to know if Altidore was indeed shopped around as ensco suggests or Toronto was just hearing offers? Those are two different things obviously. The tweet says Toronto sought a third party to communicate with the three teams, but it also says the Donovan signing has created a interest in American players by the Mexicans suggesting they are the ones initiating the talks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe a credible journalist reports that Jozy was kinda shopped to three Mexican teams... and we're arguing about the reporters!
    Eric Gomez isnt that credible if you believe the Mexican fans on LIGA MX forum on BigSoccer....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would Altidore want to go to Mexico? I can understand players going for more money but if you're being paid at a DP level whats the incentive in going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he might have been drunk, but I believe him when he says Toronto till I die,

(or was I drunk and made that up?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Van der Wiel officially announced on Twitter

RPB Member
    President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep officially on TFC App as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    Road Games:
    2013, 2014, 2015 - Montreal; 2016 - Montreal (Leg 1 Conference Final); 2017 - NYRB (Leg 1 Eastern Semi), Columbus (Leg 1 Eastern Finals); 2019 - Seattle (MLS Finals)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    LMAO

This is a good joke
    Lol i spit out my coffee...good one Red CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    he might have been drunk, but I believe him when he says Toronto till I die,

(or was I drunk and made that up?)
    This ^^

Jozy is Mr. Toronto after this season, as far as I am concerned. I'm okay with the team "hearing" offers in the same way I'm okay with my girlfriend having guys try to slide into her DMs. It's part of the game. It's when she starts responding that you get worried, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BendItLikeGio View Post
    Yep officially on TFC App as well!!
    This is an excellent ambitious signing. Again we are raising the bar in the league bringing in a top class wing back - a position that is usually used as cap space making role. Playing players barely making 100k/year in these roles is why MLS has never won the CONCACAF CL. The thing I like best is at 29 VanderWiel has played on 6 Championship winning teams...he comes with an expectation of winning. If he gels into this team we have really improved.

RPB Member
    President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets just hope VanDerWeil brings his PSG days to TFC and not his days in Cagliari.
    Road Games:
    2013, 2014, 2015 - Montreal; 2016 - Montreal (Leg 1 Conference Final); 2017 - NYRB (Leg 1 Eastern Semi), Columbus (Leg 1 Eastern Finals); 2019 - Seattle (MLS Finals)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    Yes!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worst kept secret.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm fine with him being shopped around - his value is as high as it gets right now.
    I also have faith that TFC have the ability to bring in someone decent to fill his shoes.
    So yes - a fan favourite (only recently labeled that) would be gone, but I bet the guy coming in would help us move on

However - If we were to lose him, that would suck for moral in the dressing room - the guy is one of the personalities motivating the locker room. Losing him could be bad for the locker - but I mean, Bradley is the leader in there - I'm sure he would hold it all together.....Seba might cry though...but ya.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/Chris_Mavinga/st...84137293533184

More

After that huge challenge .. he told me " I wanna be in your side" Today it's official! Welcome in @torontofc #Vanderwiel #TFCLive @MLS

looks like another version of the Bradley Altidore conversation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Officially official.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I'm fine with him being shopped around - his value is as high as it gets right now.
    I also have faith that TFC have the ability to bring in someone decent to fill his shoes.
    So yes - a fan favourite (only recently labeled that) would be gone, but I bet the guy coming in would help us move on

However - If we were to lose him, that would suck for moral in the dressing room - the guy is one of the personalities motivating the locker room. Losing him could be bad for the locker - but I mean, Bradley is the leader in there - I'm sure he would hold it all together.....Seba might cry though...but ya.
    Yes – the only reason to sell him would've been to bring in an even bigger DP in his place. But, even if the new player were 'better,' it would be very hard on morale and probably turn out worse in the end.

My theory here is other clubs inquired, Bez simply replied to them, and that was it. I highly doubt he was being actively shopped.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Yes – the only reason to sell him would've been to bring in an even bigger DP in his place. But, even if the new player were 'better,' it would be very hard on morale and probably turn out worse in the end.

My theory here is other clubs inquired, Bez simply replied to them, and that was it. I highly doubt he was being actively shopped.
    Steven Beitashour was an unfortunate victim of TFC making a shrewd move to stay competitive in the salary capped league.
    We will see more of this for sure - and the DP's will be no different.

Altidore is at a very high salary right now - we all knew that when we signed him and complained about it for a year and a half. if TFC have an opportunity to offload him and bring in someone younger and cheaper with just as much "Guarantee" to be successful in the MLS - that move will happen. Fan Favourite or not, if you wanna stay competitive in this league, you need to always be upgrading your assets - you can't let them grow too old just for the sake of the fans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Steven Beitashour was an unfortunate victim of TFC making a shrewd move to stay competitive in the salary capped league.
    We will see more of this for sure - and the DP's will be no different.

Altidore is at a very high salary right now - we all knew that when we signed him and complained about it for a year and a half. if TFC have an opportunity to offload him and bring in someone younger and cheaper with just as much "Guarantee" to be successful in the MLS - that move will happen. Fan Favourite or not, if you wanna stay competitive in this league, you need to always be upgrading your assets - you can't let them grow too old just for the sake of the fans
    Anything could be happening I suppose including a shrewd Liga MX manager using an unwitting American reporter to sow the seeds of discontent with an upcoming opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do we do now that VDW is signed...........Any more transfer rumours lmfao??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.O TILL I DIE View Post
    What do we do now that VDW is signed...........Any more transfer rumours lmfao??
    Well they've been saying 2-3 signings, so probably 1-2 bigger ones and then filling out the roster (Kubel, Peters, etc)