Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rickets out
    Cooper out
    That would make some space for some decent players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a feeling Bez will want to try to keep Cooper around. Useful player for CCL action.

I don't know if Cooper will be happy with what his role would be here though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Brandon Aubrey and Sergio Camargo are moving on - they're both on the waiver draft list.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think we have any way to picture what is going on, given the new world and the amount of TAM.

I expect 2-3 million dollar plus signings to be here by August. No idea what position, but I look forward to speculating!

International slots will become extremely valuable - I'd much rather have let Edwards go than do what Atlanta did, and trade one in exchange for not selecting a player.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, so I'll throw it in here. During Manning's interview today he pretty well committed to redoing the south end to standing terraces by 2019 or 20 at the latest. Somewhere around the 5:35 mark.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the “let's all read stuff that Manning and Bez probably read” department....

Interesting analysis in this twitter thread on how winning cost Real Madrid money, because of related bonuses and salary increases (but they made up most of the losses by selling players)

https://twitter.com/swissramble/stat...07061015760896
    Last edited by ensco; 12-13-2017 at 08:21 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clint Irwin has to be getting traded this winter right?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigby View Post
    Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, so I'll throw it in here. During Manning's interview today he pretty well committed to redoing the south end to standing terraces by 2019 or 20 at the latest. Somewhere around the 5:35 mark.
    in the BMO Field thread
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigby View Post
    This would be fantastic news. I've been a supporter of this since day one. There is no doubt in my mind that this will help to improve the atmosphere a lot as well as the people into singing and chanting will group together, and they will show up early to be able to do that. If you show up late you'll have to settle with maybe being in the corner or whatever, so it gives incentives for people to show up early as well.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other than resigning Drew Moor and Beitashour what else do we actually need? My only wish is for a winger and more Canadians so let's get Edwards back and sign Junior Hoilett!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wondering if the team decides to spend some of that sweet TAM on a RWB to replace Beita. Smart teams could too easily funnel our attacks down the right wing, like Columbus did in the playoffs, because Beita just isn't a threat the same way Morrow is. Having someone as good or better than Morrow bombing down the right wing would be a big upgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well let's think this through. Be it a 442, 442 diamond, or 352, (and thinking only of starters) we're already set for the 2 forwards, 2 of the 2 or 3 midfielders, central D, and LB.

What would be needed is a RB (likely versatile enough to play wing in 352), and two midfielder upgrades.

Ideally,
    Player 1: a RB who can also play on the right wing when called upon. (replace Beita)
    Player 2: a right wing that could move to the center of the field. (If we have player 1, then if we move to 442 - any shape - player 2 plays on the right wing, otherwise moves inside in a 352) Player 2 replaces Osorio or Delgado starting position.
    Player 3: midfielder that could move to the left wing in a 442.

jozy-seba
    morrow-vasquez-bradley-player 2-player 1
    mavinga-moor(haglund)-zava

jozy-seba
    player 3-vasquez-bradley-player 2
    morrow-mavinga-zava(moor)-player 1

You're basically getting Osorio, Delgado, and Beitashour off the field and replacing with higher quality. The team would be stacked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Well let's think this through. Be it a 442, 442 diamond, or 352, (and thinking only of starters) we're already set for the 2 forwards, 2 of the 2 or 3 midfielders, central D, and LB.

What would be needed is a RB (likely versatile enough to play wing in 352), and two midfielder upgrades.

Ideally,
    Player 1: a RB who can also play on the right wing when called upon. (replace Beita)
    Player 2: a right wing that could move to the center of the field. (If we have player 1, then if we move to 442 - any shape - player 2 plays on the right wing, otherwise moves inside in a 352) Player 2 replaces Osorio or Delgado starting position.
    Player 3: midfielder that could move to the left wing in a 442.

jozy-seba
    morrow-vasquez-bradley-player 2-player 1
    mavinga-moor(haglund)-zava

jozy-seba
    player 3-vasquez-bradley-player 2
    morrow-mavinga-zava(moor)-player 1

You're basically getting Osorio, Delgado, and Beitashour off the field and replacing with higher quality. The team would be stacked.
    Might not have seen it too much but Hasler is roughly that player two since he's more of a central mid, just happens to be able to play the wing.

Agree with player 1. Just wondering if player 3 might be better used as a decent backup striker as we all know Tos has his limits and against better opposition they'll figure it out quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't NEED to improve any particular position, but we do need to continue using all available resources to continually upgrade the team.

We do need a backup to Bradley though, especially with Cheyrou likely done. He's basically the one player we can't afford to lose for a stretch of games and maintain dominance. We could afford to have a Matias Laba type now.

I'm thinking we'll be pretty set if we can pull a new Cheyrou out of a hat, and sign a young winger/second striker/#10 type player.

Then some nice to haves would be a right sided defender like Mavinga, and another box to box mid to compete with Delgado. We could easily free up international spots by letting go of Alseth, Cheyrou (retire) and Endoh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hasler is Beitashour's replacement, he is good enough to start there or play more advanced if needed. I see TAM going to midfield to give Bradley and/or Vazquez cover, because if one of them got injured TFC is screwed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.O TILL I DIE View Post
    Rickets out
    Cooper out

who is gonna be that good to come here to sit on the bench

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I'm wondering if the team decides to spend some of that sweet TAM on a RWB to replace Beita. Smart teams could too easily funnel our attacks down the right wing, like Columbus did in the playoffs, because Beita just isn't a threat the same way Morrow is. Having someone as good or better than Morrow bombing down the right wing would be a big upgrade.
    I think Hasler is an upgrade on Beita in that regard. Buddy can cross the ball really well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 0bl1vious View Post
    I think Hasler is an upgrade on Beita in that regard. Buddy can cross the ball really well.
    I think Hasler is an upgrade going forward but wasn't tested enough defensively for us to gauge how he would hold up over a whole season.

I still think that's the only obvious place we can spend our TAM. Our midfield is locked up and deep. Our CB's are cheap and very good. Our forwards are the best in the league. nowhere else to go really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Hasler is Beitashour's replacement, he is good enough to start there or play more advanced if needed. I see TAM going to midfield to give Bradley and/or Vazquez cover, because if one of them got injured TFC is screwed.

correct, we are replacing cheyrou

i can see vasquez getting a raise soon though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 0bl1vious View Post
    beita looked a bit shaky playing last man back with the diamond formation. he did the job but i sensed he wasnt comfortable with it

we need another mavinga, which is why leaving haglund off that list woulda been better. to be fair, haglund will get good trade value because he is american

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    I agree that Junior would be a good get. Probably a little out of the price range at the moment but you never know, Bez could manufacture enough money to bring him in (moving one of our current DPs to TAM level? could be possible)
    The max amount you can use TAM on is $1.5m. Our DP's are way over that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michaeltfc91 View Post
    Other than resigning Drew Moor and Beitashour what else do we actually need? My only wish is for a winger and more Canadians so let's get Edwards back and sign Junior Hoilett!
    I'm just being greedy, but upgrades on Osorio and Delgado as starters in the midfield would be nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delgado just vastly outplayed Roldan, a competitor for his position for the U.S. Gold Cup squad in 2019. Osorio is one of Vanney's most trusted players. No way that's where they look for an upgrade when there's cheap,Capable, domestic options that need games.

I could see us trading Zav or Hagglund and signing a second (after Mavinga) TAM level CB. But that's at the very outside of what I think is possible. Vanney likes his guys and won't make large scale changes like that after just winning a cup with them dominating the oppo.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 12-13-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know why everyone is all hot for Hasler. We're talking about TAM, more money for upgrades. Hasler is a great substitute - but when you have the chance to get a 400-800K type guy (which you assume has quality to support the sticker price), then Hasler is not our answer.

I think if we watched him over a 15-25 game stretch, peoples tones would change and you would start to hear more "we need an upgrade at this position". It's a BIG planet, and there has to be guys out there that are better than him and available to come to Toronto.

He's not a Vasquez or even Morrow quality player. Morrow should be the minimum quality benchmark for starters on the team. Hasler to the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

manning said it...they are spending that money,on a d- a mid a striker.i can see a young back up striker in 300 range and a mid and a d 400-500 range.that would be a huge upgrade if they do their due diligence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We do need more support at forward, for sure. I love Ricketts in my heart, but he def. is not a consistent threat. We need someone who is dangerous every time they come on, not just some of the time, and is more clinical.
    Last edited by James17930; 12-14-2017 at 12:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.O TILL I DIE View Post
    Rickets out
    Cooper out
    For all his talent (mainly speed) I would agree we need better back up in the striking department than Ricketts. He does not appear to be a natural goalscorer. I’m of two minds about Cooper though. I can see some value in his ability to retain possession and on occassion frustrate the opposition late in games, getting cheap fouls and running down the clock. He could be useful against CONCACAF opposition in the CCL
    Last edited by General Woolfe; 12-13-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Delgado just vastly outplayed Roldan, a competitor for his position for the U.S. Gold Cup squad in 2019. Osorio is one of Vanney's most trusted players. No way that's where they look for an upgrade when there's cheap,Capable, domestic options that need games.

I could see us trading Zav or Hagglund and signing a second (after Mavinga) TAM level CB. But that's at the very outside of what I think is possible. Vanney likes his guys and won't make large scale changes like that after just winning a cup with them dominating the oppo.
    I worry if Osorio is seen as a starter. He can’t keep possession and routinely makes the wrong decision when it comes to shoot or pass. I’m fine with him being a bench option but I think we need a better quality as a starter. In fact if we’re being harsh about this (and winning teams usually are) the same would go for Delgado and Chapman, the later possibly being trade bait

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I dont know why everyone is all hot for Hasler. We're talking about TAM, more money for upgrades. Hasler is a great substitute - but when you have the chance to get a 400-800K type guy (which you assume has quality to support the sticker price), then Hasler is not our answer.

I think if we watched him over a 15-25 game stretch, peoples tones would change and you would start to hear more "we need an upgrade at this position". It's a BIG planet, and there has to be guys out there that are better than him and available to come to Toronto.

He's not a Vasquez or even Morrow quality player. Morrow should be the minimum quality benchmark for starters on the team. Hasler to the bench.
    Not every starter can be 400-800K or MLS Best XI, Hasler's salary for 1/2 season was $80,000K. So a $150,000ish wingback (not even his real position) who scored 3 goals in less than 900 minutes and has versatility. It's one of Bez's best value moves to date. Same reason why Delgado as a starter is fine if he plays to his capabilities.

Hamilton, Oso, Zavaleta, Cooper, Chapman are all good depth at the right price. Even Alseth played well in his limited time and he's at the bottom of the squad making league min. If TFC wants another Vazquez-level player then Bez will probably look to cheaper replacements for two of: Beitashour, Irwin, Ricketts. Then he can throw millions in TAM at a guy.
    Last edited by nonc; 12-13-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been wondering about what MLSE will let Manning do here. TAM is not cash. We already have the highest payroll in the league. There are going to be teams (Atlanta is the glaring example) that have 7-8 guys making 1.0 M or 1.5M....

Unless MLSE are willing to take the payroll north of $25M, our 5th, 6th, 7th players, who were so awesome this year, could suddenly look ordinary, or even be overmatched.

As inconceivable/awful as it may seem, I wonder if Manning/Bez are thinking about moving one of the DPs by next summer, to free up cash to get better balance.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-13-2017 at 10:01 PM.