RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of which

&

a reminder

Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-06-2018 at 04:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta love those non-player MLS trades. I remember hearing a joke about this when TAM was first announced. Now it's reality.

I posted a tweet earlier that we were tight to the cap, while trying to sign Hernandez. This might be the solution to it. Can sign about 3-4 near minimum players with that

Interesting, since GAM is apparently 50% more valuable than TAM according to the numbers in this transaction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess we need to Boo whoever DC signs with that TAM when they come to town lol
    Last edited by rydermike; 02-06-2018 at 05:06 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post

If that TAM is a former TFC player, we know that they will score the first time they are playing against TFC, lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we got $225K and it only cost us $337K? Awesome. I am sure it will all make sense one day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    So we got $225K and it only cost us $337K? Awesome. I am sure it will all make sense one day.

Read up...GAM & TAM have very different functions in regard to the type of player, and the cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team left for Mexico....anyone hear/see the roster for this trip?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    Not yet. Vanney had said it'll be trimmed to 20-24 players as opposed to the large group in Cali.

They are staying and training at the FMF National Training Center, that can't have been cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Speaking of which
    But what position will it play on our roster? Rumblings of GAM attitude problems make me concerned about team chemistry. The TAM in comparison was well liked and had purchased a house in the suburbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can see most of the roster here. But only Drew Moor is.... up for it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan View Post
    There are two key elements though. The money part is just one. the other is finding a suitable player who fits in terms of being available, affordable and willing to come.
    I'm confident in Bez and Vanney's abilities to sign quality players wherever they identify a need. So far they've shown that finding value players that fill a need isn't a problem for them. If they think they need another midfielder that can start, I'm sure they'll be able to find one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
    You can see most of the roster here. But only Drew Moor is.... up for it.

I tried this...but only counted like 10 guys lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TAM can't be used to reduce the cap hit of regular roster players. GAM can. And TAM that doesn't get used can't be carried forward to the next season, whereas GAM can. So if there's TAM that they don't have earmarked for a signing this season, it's basically useless to hold onto, whereas GAM is mostly unlimited in what it can be used for. An immediate example would be that TAM won't allow them the cap space to resign Hernandez, whereas GAM does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It means we have a surplus of funds required to sign the Vazquez, VDV type signing but we need some cash to pay down the contract on guys like Bono, Zavs and Delgado.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I'm confident in Bez and Vanney's abilities to sign quality players wherever they identify a need. So far they've shown that finding value players that fill a need isn't a problem for them. If they think they need another midfielder that can start, I'm sure they'll be able to find one.
    I'm optimistic but not blindly confident. He wasn't a TAM signing, but It's not that long since Kantari was brought in to fill another clear need. Perquis didn't exactly sparkle either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm optimistic but not blindly confident. He wasn't a TAM signing, but It's not that long since Kantari was brought in to fill another clear need. Perquis didn't exactly sparkle either.
    I remember reading some comments from Bez in a Molinaro or Larson story a while back where he addressed the Kantari failure, basically saying Kantari was a good player but not a CB suited to playing a fast and physical game, which is what MLS is, and we also played a lot more back and forth back then, with less steady control of the game. Plus signing that type of player mid-season made it extra difficult for him to settle in. He said he learned a lot from that signing, and since then every overseas move he's made has been for athletic guys (Ricketts, Mavinga, Hasler, and now Van der Wiel). Especially evident with Mavinga who is pretty much the antithesis of Kantari.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those GAM/TAM and Ole' Man Drew tweets had me howling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post

ROFL I almost fell off my chair...Good One Ryder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsYNWA View Post
    ROFL I almost fell off my chair...Good One Ryder
    I have to give credit where it's due. I didn't make that image. Found it on the twitter feed where tfc announced the trade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perquis and Kantari were brought in at a time when every area of the field required help. 2014/15 off-season was Bez and Vanney's first off-season together, and one where most of their resources were being focused on bringing in some pretty key players and trying to offload dead weight.

You're pointing to two signings that didn't pan out, and were promptly let go at no budgetary penalty, in a season where 10 new players had to be brought in (plus 3 academy grads/draft picks), and 13 players were shipped off. So out of those 13 players brought in four flopped (Findlay, Herc, Perquis, and Kantari), and two of those were just mid-season reinforcements that didn't help much and left a few months later at no cost. It's worth noting that out of those 13, seven were still with the team through last season.

Bringing in Bono, Delgado, Altidore, Zavaleta, Cheyrou, and Giovinco in one season is a pretty good haul regardless of a couple Kantari's and Herc's

In the following two seasons, I don't think you can point to a single bad signing or failure to adequately address a need.
    2016:We needed better goal keeping - they brought in Clint Irwin (win)
    RB was a major weakness all year - they brought in Steven Beitashour (win)
    Central defense sucked since the formation of the club - Drew Moor locked it down
    Then they brought in Will Johnson and Tosaint Ricketts because they wanted to strengthen those areas, and it worked.

That's 5 signings that filled significant gaps. Only signing that could possibly be argued didn't work was Cooper, and only because it resulted in Johnson leaving with sour grapes and didn't really fit in the prime 11. But even he made significant contributions to two cup runs.

2017: Needed a creative midfielder to unlock buses like Seattle - got Vazquez
    Needed a left footed CB since Hagglund was tripping over the ball over there - got Mavinga
    Needed backup defenders to replace Wiliams and Bloom - got Hernandez and Hasler
    Bad singings? None

Given that record, I personally don't have a problem being "blindly confident" in their ability to sign quality players in any position that may require it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perquis and Kantari were brought in at a time when every area of the field required help. 2014/15 off-season was Bez and Vanney's first off-season together, and one where most of their resources were being focused on bringing in some pretty key players and trying to offload dead weight.

You're pointing to two signings that didn't pan out, and were promptly let go at no budgetary penalty, in a season where 10 new players had to be brought in (plus 3 academy grads/draft picks), and 13 players were shipped off. So out of those 13 players brought in four flopped (Findlay, Herc, Perquis, and Kantari), and two of those were just mid-season reinforcements that didn't help much and left a few months later at no cost. It's worth noting that out of those 13, seven were still with the team through last season.

Bringing in Bono, Delgado, Altidore, Zavaleta, Cheyrou, and Giovinco in one season is a pretty good haul regardless of a couple Kantari's and Herc's

In the following two seasons, I don't think you can point to a single bad signing or failure to adequately address a need.
    2016:We needed better goal keeping - they brought in Clint Irwin (win)
    RB was a major weakness all year - they brought in Steven Beitashour (win)
    Central defense sucked since the formation of the club - Drew Moor locked it down
    Then they brought in Will Johnson and Tosaint Ricketts because they wanted to strengthen those areas, and it worked.

That's 5 signings that filled significant gaps. Only signing that could possibly be argued didn't work was Cooper, and only because it resulted in Johnson leaving with sour grapes and didn't really fit in the prime 11. But even he made significant contributions to two cup runs.

2017: Needed a creative midfielder to unlock buses like Seattle - got Vazquez
    Needed a left footed CB since Hagglund was tripping over the ball over there - got Mavinga
    Needed backup defenders to replace Wiliams and Bloom - got Hernandez and Hasler
    Bad singings? None

Given that record, I personally don't have a problem being "blindly confident" in their ability to sign quality players in any position that may require it
    Yup this.

I think it was Paine (or maybe De Vos) around the time we signed Laba that said you’re doing decently if you’re 50/50 on signings. Bez’s record isn’t perfect but it’s damn good

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read up...GAM & TAM have very different functions in regard to the type of player, and the cost.
    Yeah I know. Guess I was just making a bit of a joke that only I got maybe.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC are "four players away from making the post-season". So glad we don't have guys like Paul Mariner telling us that kind of crap any more. I like our current conversations and team direction better. Ahh the good ol' days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TAM can't be used to reduce the cap hit of regular roster players. GAM can. And TAM that doesn't get used can't be carried forward to the next season, whereas GAM can. So if there's TAM that they don't have earmarked for a signing this season, it's basically useless to hold onto, whereas GAM is mostly unlimited in what it can be used for. An immediate example would be that TAM won't allow them the cap space to resign Hernandez, whereas GAM does.
    or resigned Beitashour :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Yup this.

I think it was Paine (or maybe De Vos) around the time we signed Laba that said you’re doing decently if you’re 50/50 on signings. Bez’s record isn’t perfect but it’s damn good
    Perquis wasnt really flop.

Kantari was

Herc was just a bench warmer

Really Findlay and Kantari were the only ones that were very below avg. But like you said, not much to lose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Perquis wasnt really flop.
    I believe this too, but I think you and I are in the minority.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I know. Guess I was just making a bit of a joke that only I got maybe.
    I guess I should've known.... You been around long enough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
    He was an above average bruiser defender with great passing ability. He needed a partner that was an organizer though and he didn't have that in 2015. He was also on a big contract.
    Last edited by PopePouri; 02-07-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
    I agree Perquis was an excellent player in my eyes a real enforcer for TFC. Looked like he had alot of passion for football and Toronto