Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1623
  1. #1051
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,535
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hasler is a versatile piece. I bet he could play a bit of CDM. Chapman too.

    But if it’s Fraser or whomever, that’s fine for now.

    Also easy to solve by going 4-4-2.

    Bez can re-evaluate in the summer.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-05-2018 at 06:22 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  2. #1052
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    While I don't completely disagree with your POV, there's an obvious difference between now and the Winter/Mariner days. Back then we were the worst team in the world and the only hope we had was that the kids would develop into solid players that could make the "system" work. Now we're the best team in the league, so yes there is significantly more risk in relying on kids to pick up the minutes vacated by veterans
    Well, better teams than ours around the world seem to manage being competitive and blood in their youngsters simultaneously. If the team is confident the kids can step up and play at this level they gotta play. If they aren't up to task we can adjust in the summer window.

  3. #1053
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    I like Delgado a lot but don't think he has the characteristics to be a 6. if he's TFC's backup CDM, that is a massive drop-off.
    In his lim ited minutes there with us he's been surprisingly very,very effective. Plays a different role in that spot but still does a job. I'm not worried.

    Bradley is the best and most durable player in the league. Anyone we could concievably get is a massive downgrade.

  4. #1054
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    15,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If we want to be a long term MLS superpower, we gotta play the young guys into being good enough.

    When it comes to DM, Delgado used to be a guy who never met a backwards pass he didn't prefer. This has changed. Vanney & co stress forward ball movement.

    I would also note it was Delgado following Dempsey who made the defence line interception that led to the Altidore goal in the final.

    Lets see what Fraser can do but Delgado is an OK replacement in this league.

  5. #1055
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ajax
    Posts
    2,039
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If we want to be a long term MLS superpower, we gotta play the young guys into being good enough.

    When it comes to DM, Delgado used to be a guy who never met a backwards pass he didn't prefer. This has changed. Vanney & co stress forward ball movement.

    I would also note it was Delgado following Dempsey who made the defence line interception that led to the Altidore goal in the final.

    Lets see what Fraser can do but Delgado is an OK replacement in this league.
    1000% agree.

    I feel like we have the young guns to be slowly bred into the team, they just need the opportunities.

  6. #1056
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    668
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Van der Wiel Transfer fee even lower than we thought
    prior to his move to Toronto FC for a transfer fee of roughly $200,000.


    http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/mls-10-years-ahead-of-europe-says-toronto-fc-signing-gregory-van-der-wiel



    He's also our new striker instead of defender according to the TFC website

    Last edited by rydermike; 02-05-2018 at 09:11 PM.

  7. #1057
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    668
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  8. #1058
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Van der Wiel Transfer fee even lower than we thought

    http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/mls-10-years-ahead-of-europe-says-toronto-fc-signing-gregory-van-der-wiel



    He's also our new striker instead of defender according to the TFC website


    Just saw that too. $200k is fantastic for a transfer fee. That means we should have lots of the $5.2m TAM left that we could spend this year.
    Last edited by Gazza_55; 02-06-2018 at 12:51 PM.

  9. #1059
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    668
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    Just saw saw that too. $200k is fantastic for a transfer fee. That means we should have lots of the $5.2m TAM left that we could spend this year.
    Makes a bit of sense. Say Cagaliari was paying him 750k (I guessed this), but they weren't playing him. Getting rid of him for anything saves them money. Basically a net gain of a million by letting him go for cheap than to reject it and pay him to rot on the bench.

  10. #1060
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I love Bez. 200k for Van der Wiel, who isn't the type to thrive in a small market team like Cagliari. Vazquez on a free, who was unsettled in Mexico. Mavinga on a free, who was stuck playing LB when he preferred CB.

    These reclamation projects are the perfect way to get incredible talent at a fraction of the cost, and as long as you do your research, the risk is minimal.

  11. #1061
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ajax
    Posts
    2,039
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    TFC badly needs a backup CDM. Lucked out with Bradley playing so many games, and the club at least had Cheyrou. Now, no one can remotely play that position (I don't know much about Fraser). In an ideal world, they grab someone who can play both the 6 and the 8.
    This guy is available, I wouldn't mind having him backup Bradley.

  12. #1062
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,625
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    This guy is available, I wouldn't mind having him backup Bradley.
    Is he still any good?

  13. #1063
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    For anyone that watched the presser, did Bez specify if the 1-2 more signing we’re going to happen in February?

  14. #1064
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,625
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    For anyone that watched the presser, did Bez specify if the 1-2 more signing we’re going to happen in February?
    No, he didn't give any sort of time frame. So it could be in this window, or it could mean waiting for the summer.

  15. #1065
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    15,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Is he still any good?
    Edu has been injured for the last 2 years.

  16. #1066
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,625
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    This guy is available, I wouldn't mind having him backup Bradley.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Edu has been injured for the last 2 years.
    I'm thinking we could probably do better at this point.

  17. #1067
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    3,747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    Highly rated Nigerian right back Muhammed Saleh has started training with Major League Side (MLS) side Toronto FC, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal.
    Saleh arrived Canada on Sunday and according to the Nigerian intermediary of the Eco FC starlet Vincent Alumona, the 18 year old started training with the B team of the MLS side yesterday as he bids to earn an extended stay at the club.
    ” He (Saleh) arrived Canada on Sunday. He had his first training session with Toronto II ‎yesterday. We are confident in his abilities. Hopefully he will bag a long term deal”, Alumona told Owngoalnigeria.com.

    Saleh was spotted by respected MLS scout Damani Ralph during his scouting trip to Nigeria in December alongside his Belgian partner Stijn Vanlerberghe.
    Nicknamed Danilo by his teammates in Nigeria, the full back who loves to join the attack aside his abilities to mark out forwards who are up against him will be hoping to progress through the ranks at the club.
    http://owngoalnigeria.com/2018/02/06...de-toronto-fc/

  18. #1068
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,625
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Looks like he's targeted more for TFCII right now.

    We still need someone more on the left I would think, right?

  19. #1069
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I love Bez. 200k for Van der Wiel, who isn't the type to thrive in a small market team like Cagliari. Vazquez on a free, who was unsettled in Mexico. Mavinga on a free, who was stuck playing LB when he preferred CB.

    These reclamation projects are the perfect way to get incredible talent at a fraction of the cost, and as long as you do your research, the risk is minimal.
    will still never forget Mavingas first start though. Bez musta been puking in the corner a little bit

  20. #1070
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    3,747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Looks like he's targeted more for TFCII right now.

    We still need someone more on the left I would think, right?
    For TFCII? Think they have that Terique kid earmarked for that.

  21. #1071
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,625
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    This guy is available, I wouldn't mind having him backup Bradley.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Edu has been injured for the last 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    For TFCII? Think they have that Terique kid earmarked for that.
    I mean, Salah isn't for the first team yet. We don't need another right back right now.

    I think we need more cover on the left.

  22. #1072
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    15,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    will still never forget Mavingas first start though...
    Mavinga said later in the season he learned a lot from that game - he had taken his superior quality for granted & didn't do that again. IIRC, Vasquez said much the same.

  23. #1073
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    893
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    TFC badly needs a backup CDM. Lucked out with Bradley playing so many games, and the club at least had Cheyrou. Now, no one can remotely play that position (I don't know much about Fraser). In an ideal world, they grab someone who can play both the 6 and the 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    This guy is available, I wouldn't mind having him backup Bradley.
    Please no Edu, Fraser is Bradley's backup. Osorio, Delgado, Chapman are all capable central midfielders that can play box to box. I thought you guys had your chill pill after earlier apocalyptic visions. Bros we don't gotta make many moves cuz we don't suck like everyone else.

  24. #1074
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nordrhein-Westfalen, GER
    Posts
    1,254
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    He'll play Canada cup games and the occasional midweek game. We gotta play our kids at some point. No point spending all that money on the best Acadamy in the league and not play the players it produces. We spent so much time bemoaning Winter/Mariner era for never giving Cordon,Stinson etc the minutes they needed but now we can't risk it?

    Tyler Adams was a fringe rotation player at the beginning of the season last year and now is a serious talent and USMNT member. If you don't play the kids, they can't get better. I loved Cheyrou but there's no way I'd prefer to sign another version of him over getting a prized prospect like Fraser some minutes.
    Preach.

    I reckon they might see what they have, between Fraser, Chapman and others slotting in; if needed, we might see a Hasler-esque signing in the summer, giving us assured quality in depth.

  25. #1075
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Please no Edu, Fraser is Bradley's backup. Osorio, Delgado, Chapman are all capable central midfielders that can play box to box. I thought you guys had your chill pill after earlier apocalyptic visions. Bros we don't gotta make many moves cuz we don't suck like everyone else.
    Delgado has done a decent job there as well.

  26. #1076
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Lets see what Fraser can do but Delgado is an OK replacement in this league.
    Agreed. As others have noted, either would be a clear downgrade from Bradley. But Cheyrou was only available last year because he was willing to sign for minimal money and to accept a role behind the ironman-like Bradley. And imo, he was a downgrade too. But even if he wasn't, how reasonable is it to think that within MLS' salary rules, TFC can find a quality CDM to fill a back-up role behind Bradley?

  27. #1077
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Still hearing plenty of #Marchisio to @MLS & despite the logistical issues 💰 & Seba telling me last month Toronto was an unlikely destination for his friend, sources close to the club confirm Toronto FC is still snooping around here.

    Lol I just can’t see it, but you never know. Thing is, he is VERY injury prone. I don’t know I’d even want him.

  28. #1078
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I love Bez. 200k for Van der Wiel, who isn't the type to thrive in a small market team like Cagliari. Vazquez on a free, who was unsettled in Mexico. Mavinga on a free, who was stuck playing LB when he preferred CB.

    These reclamation projects are the perfect way to get incredible talent at a fraction of the cost, and as long as you do your research, the risk is minimal.
    The Vazquez on a free and wages paid through TAM might turn out to be a Top 3 all time GM move. Especially since Bez had been chasing him for a few years.

  29. #1079
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan View Post
    Agreed. As others have noted, either would be a clear downgrade from Bradley. But Cheyrou was only available last year because he was willing to sign for minimal money and to accept a role behind the ironman-like Bradley. And imo, he was a downgrade too. But even if he wasn't, how reasonable is it to think that within MLS' salary rules, TFC can find a quality CDM to fill a back-up role behind Bradley?
    TAM makes it actually fairly easy to get that. We still have a few million in TAM to spend this year. You sign a quality CM who can slot in ahead of Bradley as a first choice midfielder, and drop back to cdm when Bradley is out with Delgado/osorio/chapman coming in. Something like the Laba deal a few years ago would likely easily work with TAM now

  30. #1080
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    TAM makes it actually fairly easy to get that. We still have a few million in TAM to spend this year. You sign a quality CM who can slot in ahead of Bradley as a first choice midfielder, and drop back to cdm when Bradley is out with Delgado/osorio/chapman coming in. Something like the Laba deal a few years ago would likely easily work with TAM now
    There are two key elements though. The money part is just one. the other is finding a suitable player who fits in terms of being available, affordable and willing to come.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •